Helpful ReplyAmerican food restaurant in London UK

Author
UKFoodie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2013/04/24 09:04:25 (permalink)

American food restaurant in London UK

Hi all!

As my username suggests, I am a UK foodie and chef. I am opening an American restaurant in London this summer. None of the poor excuse for steak joints and TGI Fridays chain rubbish.. good honest American home cooked food.

I would greatly appreciate your input to your favorite foods. Food that reminds you of home. The kind of home cooked food your Mom used to make.. good old Sweet Potato pie etc.

What would you like to see on the menu?

Thanks!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18889
Re:American food restaurant in London UK 2013/04/24 09:15:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Welcome to Roadfood, and good luck with your venture.

Meatloaf, hot open-faced roast beef sandwiches, chicken fried steak, pot roast, fried chicken, liver and onions, jambalaya, shrimp and grits, franks and beans, crab cakes, chicken and dumplings, turkey pot pie, corned beef hash and eggs, just to suggest a few.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2519
Re:American food restaurant in London UK 2013/04/24 10:08:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Michael, is spot on with his food recommendations, I think he would agree Diner food would do the trick..............There is nothing more American than Turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes..........open face turkey is another.............Roast beef, mashed potatoes .............Roast Pork with Roasted potatoes..................Southern Fried chicken............Chicken fried steak w/ Country gravy, Maryland Chicken w/ country gravy, Meatloaf, Salisbury steak with mushroom gravy, Biscuits and gravy.........Burgers, Bacon cheese burgers, ...........onion rings, fresh cut french fries......Apple pie Ala mode..................Now the question............If you don't know how to make some of these let me know, I have made these and a few others a few times.....................
UKFoodie
Junior Burger
Re:American food restaurant in London UK 2013/04/24 11:23:51 (permalink)
Thanks, some great suggestions!
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1770
Re:American food restaurant in London UK 2013/04/24 15:34:31 (permalink)
May I add some sides........Double fried French Fries, Onion rings, Mac and Cheese, Coleslaw.  If you are gonna do fish and Chips style stuff (sorry, I suppose fried clams are too esoteric)  Fried Shrimp or Scallops.  BLT's with both Streaky bacon and British style bacon.
 For breakfast, American style sausage..not Brit/Irish..pancakes....home fried potatoes vs hash-brown patties....Biscuits with gravy..also some good fruits

For desserts......pecan pie, boston cream pie, the apple pie above or Blueberry

Is your market US ex-pats/tourist or UK folks wanting "true US"?  When I lived in Chester for 5 years, UK folks used to like to come over to sample all sorts of "goodies the Yanks make"..including Chex mix, cranberry juice with champagne and Cointreau(with frozen berries), popovers for something besides Yorkshire pud (eg., butter, jam for breakfast.......sautéed mushroom,onion and cheese for appetizers), peanut butter cookies..and imported Oreos

SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1038
Re:American food restaurant in London UK 2013/04/24 16:40:05 (permalink)
A lot of the obvious choices have already been named, here are a couple less so: tuna noodle casserole, beef stroganoff, club sandwich (ham, roast beef, or turkey on three slices of toast (one in the middle) with mayo, lettuce, tomato, and bacon, cut diagonally into quarters), a lot of diners around here have buffalo chicken sandwiches (breaded and fried chicken breast dipped in spicy chicken wing sauce) and Philly cheesesteaks. Chicken wings themselves might be worth looking into. And you gotta have milkshakes and root beer floats!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10358
Re:American food restaurant in London UK 2013/04/25 00:12:12 (permalink)
Here's a thread I started back in 2006 on the subject!
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=247038&high=comfort+food
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:American food restaurant in London UK 2013/04/25 00:17:49 (permalink)
Don't forget your GRITS,----NOT porridge----GRITS!!
post edited by Foodbme - 2013/04/25 00:24:01
UKFoodie
Junior Burger
Re:American food restaurant in London UK 2013/04/25 03:34:19 (permalink)
Thanks!

My target market is a mix of both. Home cooked goodness for American expats but also true american eats which you wouldn't usually see over here. Sweet potato pie for example is on the menu for sure. Barely anyone has tried that in London.
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 684
Re:American food restaurant in London UK 2013/04/25 09:37:04 (permalink)
Going from the things my UK-resident brother craves when he's visiting here:

1. US-style pancakes with real maple syrup (however, this can be dangerous: my brother's father-in-law loves the stuff and always demands we bring at least a quart  from our trees... but most of the UK family thinks that maple is a disgusting flavor)
2. Most anything Southern.  Biscuits and Gravy and Gumbo being two good examples.  Barbecue being another (but hell, I can't even get good barbecue here in Northern New England...)
3. Shrimp Cocktail, with big, honkin' US-style shrimp
4. Proper fried chicken.  Sure, there are a gazillion fried chicken joints in London.  And none of them serves anything even approaching proper fried chicken.

(The other thing he always craves is Nutter Butters)

Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5111
Re:American food restaurant in London UK 2013/04/25 11:03:29 (permalink)
Don't forget good old "Texas Red" chili. Without beans!
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1078
Re:American food restaurant in London UK 2013/04/25 13:31:07 (permalink)
FWIW, my husband and I spend a lot of time in England and Scotland.  Last Thanksgiving, we were in Scotland at a hotel (or as the Brits/Scots say, "an hotel") that we stay at frequently.  They very kindly prepared a "Thanksgiving dinner" for us.  This hotel is an old Victorian/Edwardian hunting lodge and has a rather formal (though friendly) dinner service.  They offered three entrees that night (as they always do), and one choice was roast turkey, carved and served from the trolley, accompanied by small roasted potatoes, brussels sprouts, stuffing balls, gravy, bread sauce and cranberry sauce.  In other words, it was the classic UK Christmas dinner, and in fact, the owners told us that their poultry supplier asked whether they were serving Christmas dinner a month early.  I think many Brits/Scots regard roast turkey as a uniquely Christmas "luncheon" dish. They also had pecan tarts (like individual pecan pies) for us for dessert, which I suppose is the traditional dessert at Thanksgiving in many parts of the US, though it isn't for my husband and me (we're strictly pumpkin pie).  That said, we certainly enjoyed the meal  We noticed that many of the other guests chose the turkey option, and seemed to enjoy it, though they were rather bemused by it. 

Many years ago, in the mid-80s, we spent Fourth of July in Scotland, and the country house hotel at which we stayed served roast turkey then -- thinking it was a traditional Fourth of July meal for Americans.  It was delicious, too, but sort of . . . surprising.

I guess my point is that getting American food "right" can be tricky.  There are just enough similarities between some English and American presentations of food that it could be easy to miss a detail or two.  The devil is in the details, as they say.

It could still be good, but just not authentic "American."

Good luck!

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:American food restaurant in London UK 2013/04/26 00:24:42 (permalink)
I should think the Brits love of Breakfast would lend itself to enjoying some Pennsylvania Dutch Scrapple!
Relentless
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
Re:American food restaurant in London UK 2013/04/26 10:20:29 (permalink)
Foodbme

I should think the Brits love of Breakfast would lend itself to enjoying some Pennsylvania Dutch Scrapple!

I would think they would be more inclined to try something that was actually edible
UKFoodie
Junior Burger
Re:American food restaurant in London UK 2013/04/29 03:35:05 (permalink)
Thanks guys. There may well be a way to put a gourmet spin on a Pennsylvania Dutch. I'm already experimenting in the kitchen!
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1