American "fusion" food

Author
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2888
2003/08/27 04:12:06 (permalink)

American "fusion" food

I had some leftover smoked bratwurst tonight, so I chopped it up and threw it in my greens along with the bacon. It turned out great! Do you have any unusual regional combos, or adaptations of recipes substituting your region's local ingredients?

19 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7315
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/28 02:04:02 (permalink)
    When I was living in France my garden suddenly had an abundance of Brussels Sprouts so I made a soup (MUCH MUCH to the chagrin of my French neighbors) composed of pork, bacon, and the usual onion, carrot, leek, garlic.....I used the sprouts in place of cabbage. They thought I was nuts. Typical American! But it was delicious! Then there was the time I substituted Maroilles cheese for Gruyere on the ham-wrapped Belgian endives......but we won't go there. A good cook or chef can adapt what's on hand to make a tasty fabulous dish or dinner! Improv is sometimes much better than a menu that you spent hours agonizing over! Here in Alaska I plug in king crab where I would normally use lobster back in Boston. My guests always seem to go away rubbing their bellies.
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/28 02:20:41 (permalink)
    Hmmmn, one of my fave places here in Seattle uses smoked turkey legs in their greens. They're suspiciously good.

I'm a big fan of Using What's Fresh, so whatever looks good is whatever ends up on the table for dinner. Some weeks, this means salmon 5X, but My Beloved doesn't complain....much. I generally shop right before I cook, and I keep very few canned/processed foods on hand, aside from frozen veggies, bagged spinach and dry pasta. Oh, and Muir Glen Organics canned tomatoes (but not their bottled pasta sauce - it's astonishing how two products from the same specialty producer can differ so much in overall quality).

I always make crabcakes with Dungeness crab, which has required quite a bit of recipe adaptation to account for the higher moisture content and different texture of west coast crab. I rarely find fresh grouper out here, or monkfish, so halibut makes a frequent stand-in. I would sooner rot in a cold dark hell facing eternal separation from butterfat than serve Chilean Sea Bass, either. <end rant>. Catfish is usually more expensive here than rockfish of some sort which I can get off a day boat, so it rarely sees the plate here.

Certain cuts of beef are hard to find around here, especially cheek meat (I have to either go to a very froufrou butcher or Wal-Mart Supercenter), and goat is only the province of the halal butchers, so some of the stuff I picked up in TX gets done with other cuts of beef, or I use rabbit instead of the goat (the flavor isn't the same, but the texture isn't bad).

Eric
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/28 02:30:48 (permalink)
    VB: What's up with those fiddlehead ferns I always hear about?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7315
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/28 02:47:32 (permalink)
    Oh VibrationGuy, RANT ON about the eternal hell we shall all face the next time we eat Chilean Sea Bass!!! That fished-to-extinction (in the wild), frozen, vile tasting, farm-raised fish could perish as far as I'm concerned and never raise it's little fillet on a dish in my restaurant or home!! Eat what's fresh and local and good AND IN SEASON.....period! I totally agree with you about Muir Glen tomatoes too.
    Bottom line.....cook what's in abundance and fresh and bon appetit.
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/28 04:55:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

I had some leftover smoked bratwurst tonight, so I chopped it up and threw it in my greens along with the bacon. It turned out great! Do you have any unusual regional combos, or adaptations of recipes substituting your region's local ingredients?

I often add Roadhouse barbecue sauce from Chicago to my Cincinnati style chili. And if there's any Tillamook (Oregon) cheddar around, that's what I grate on top.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/28 13:58:09 (permalink)
    For any crab dish that is heavily sauced we usually substitute Maine jonah crabmeat for the Cheseapeake blue crab. It is half the price, lacks a little in texture, but in a suace it works very well. We also have made crabcakes with the jonas but they just were not up to the level of the blue crabs - but OK to pawn off on the uninitiated.

Amen on the Chilean sea bass (or under any other name) . Who needs it? Local ( LI Sound or nearby) black sea bass is excellent in any recipe that calls for the Chilean fish.

BTW. I used to get "green sea trout" that was delicious simply grilled in Galveston . It was my understanding that that is the same fish abundant here in the northeast in late Summer that we call "weakfish".
    But, when I buy "weakfish" at out local excellent fish monger and try to grill it, it becomes somewhat mushy and tastes nothing like the dish I ate in Galveston.
    Anyone out there who can help me?
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/28 16:19:52 (permalink)
    quote:

VB: What's up with those fiddlehead ferns I always hear about?

Attractive but not worth the bother, IMHO; there's a restaurant in Portland that makes a big deal out of them when they're in season, but I'd rather have good Yakima Valley asparagus any day.

Eric
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1453
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/29 12:59:58 (permalink)
    Beans and Franks...the original American Fusion Food!!!
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/29 14:14:55 (permalink)
    Beans and franks can't be fusion; the byproducts of the combination are gaseous and therefore less dense than the inputs.

Eric
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/29 14:49:58 (permalink)
    I'm not sure what this is all about. Is this like when I clean out the coolerator and put brisket and rice and butter beans and salsa all in the same bowl, micro wave it and then put tiger sauce on top.

I call it "Bistec Primero con Arroz" but my wife (also known as "The One with the Final WOrd on All Things") has several other names for it.....gross, disgusting, sad, pitiful, etc. She really needs to develop a more sophisticated palate now that I know to call this "fusion" instead of a "bowl full o' leftovers".

VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/29 15:00:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

I'm not sure what this is all about. Is this like when I clean out the coolerator and put brisket and rice and butter beans and salsa all in the same bowl, micro wave it and then put tiger sauce on top.

I call it "Bistec Primero con Arroz" ...

I've seen this on Malcolm In The Middle before; Lois calls in "Parfait", and Malcolm was once convinced that the bottom layer of this weeks Parfait was the leftovers of last week's Parfait.

Eric, Shivering
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/29 16:31:35 (permalink)
    I have about an acre of ferns in the woods on my property. I have heard the fiddleheads can be toxic and dangerous, so I have not used them. Anyone have any advise?
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/29 18:07:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by VibrationGuy

quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

I call it "Bistec Primero con Arroz" ...

I've seen this on Malcolm In The Middle before; Lois calls in "Parfait", and Malcolm was once convinced that the bottom layer of this weeks Parfait was the leftovers of last week's Parfait.

Eric, Shivering

Once, after her stroke, my mom made a soup with a really unusual meat in it. I said, "Yum, this is interesting. what kind of meat is this, mom?" and she casually replied, "Oh, I don't know. I found it in the freezer. It looked like it had been in there FOREVER."
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/29 18:08:52 (permalink)
    quote:

Beans and franks can't be fusion; the byproducts of the combination are gaseous and therefore less dense than the inputs.

Eric

How about fission food?
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/30 11:59:14 (permalink)
    We buy fiddleheads at our local greengrocer in the Spring and it is my understanding they come from Maine. I have no idea what kind if fern is provided and I have no idea if some ferns are poisonous. We consider them an unusual treat to eat once a year - Spring asparagus is definitely better.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/30 14:26:17 (permalink)
    After an unusually cool and wet summer, its been so hot and humid (but also lacking rain) the entire month of Aug. (and particularly the past two weeks) that I've just lost my interest in preparing or in eating anything hot and heavy, so have really been giving the salads of all sorts (meat, veggie, fruit, etc.) fits during this period. Don't know if anyone else likes or if the combination would be considered a "fusion food", but I just love cottage cheese with little salt & pepper and a good helping of salsa stirred in. Just finished a lunch of that and a few crackers. I've also during this period been catching up on my previous lack this summer of the fruit juice and sherbet slushes which I find so delicious and cooling.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/30 15:54:36 (permalink)
    The Sundancer was in Austin this past week and the temp hovered around the 100 degree mark. I did not need fat food and for breakfast at the Courtyard, I had cottage cheese with sliced grapefruit and oranges and a bagel.

It was good.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/30 17:49:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

quote:

I often add Roadhouse barbecue sauce from Chicago to my Cincinnati style chili. And if there's any Tillamook (Oregon) cheddar around, that's what I grate on top.

That's just fine. It's all midwestern good eats.
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: American "fusion" food 2003/08/30 17:50:50 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Eric

How about fission food?

You mean like a potato in the microwave? At high power? For, oh, say, 20 minutes?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1