America's Best Hot Dogs

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/06/30 19:57:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tisnothing

Thanks John! I'm off to Charlie's Famous Italian Hot Dogs in Kenilworth and Tommy's in Elizabeth this weekend for a taste test- you're amazing!

Tis,
Let us know which one you prefer. These 2 are the best in my opinion. If you see a pretty young lady at Charlies, ask her if her name is Meghan. That's my daughter! She worked at Charlies throughout high school and now that she is home for the summer from her first year at UConn. Some people think that I pick Charlies as the best Italian Hot Dog because she works there. The fact is, I went to all the places I could and liked Charlies the best, so I went there more. I saw a help wanted sign, and since my daughter was looking for a job and we only live about 3 miles away, I got her an application. She got a good part time job, and I got a tee shirt and an occasional free hot dog as a fringe benefit.
Tisnothing
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/07/07 13:33:37 (permalink)
Yum... I made it to Charlie's in Kenilworth- great Italian hot dog! Interestingly, I think it is on par with Frank's Newark Style hot dogs- it just depends on your taste. Charlie's fried the potatoes and (I think) the onions & peppers in oil. They are not (as it might sound) greasy- they were actually delicious, but I think that I prefered the grilled versions at Frank's. But each was good- it's just your taste (and the excellent fried potatoes used at Charlie's could be a meal unto themselves). I also thought that cooking the peppers & onions together imparted more taste but, as you mentioned, that's a problem if you want just one or the other. Bread was excellent- perfect thickness & softness. And now I know what a Best's dog tastes like- very meaty- good taste. I need to try some others to compare to the other types around... And yes, the young woman at the counter laughed when I mentioned you as she knew you! She made us a pair of wonderful Italian hot dogs- great recommendation, thanks!
John Fox
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/07/07 20:34:46 (permalink)
Tis,
Glad you liked the dogs! The young woman should know me; she's my daughter! I always send my friends and people I work with there as well as my other favorite hot dog places. You're so right when you say that it's a matter of taste. Taste is so subjective. When it comes to Italian Hot Dogs some love the stuffed sandwich, thin sliced potatoes, and excellent peppers at Charlies. Others like the thicker sliced potatoes at Frank's or Dickiee Dees. Others like the extra oils and spices at Jimmy Buff's. I think Tommy's has the best potatoes, but is chintzy when it comes to peppers.

Charlies fries everything in the same oil, but they separate the ingredients into separate baskets. Frank's deep fries the hot dogs, but grills the vegetables. Dickie Dees deep fries everything in peanut oil, Jimmy Buff's has a stainles steel tilted pan where they slide the ingredients into the grease as needed. I like Charlies because I like the potatoes sliced thin, plus they have the best peppers. They give you the most vegetables and everything blends together well. Tommy's is close, and as I said, has great potatoes. They sell them separate in cups if you want. Jimmy Buff's is good, but very, very greasy. Some people actually prefer this. Just be carefull if you buy one to take home. Make sure you put the bag on the floor rather than the car seat as the grease seeps through. Buff's also has the peppers and onions mixed together, but will use prongs to fish the peppers out of the oil and apart from the onions if you want. Franks is good as well; good potatoes, though I prefer them thinner, fresh bread, tasty dogs (though I prefer Best brand) and a real flavorful mustard.

I hope you get around to trying Tommy's, Jimmy Buff's and Dickie Dees and letting us know what you think.
mikeobi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/12/13 16:02:38 (permalink)
Im from Michigan, and have been many places arond the country. There is no place like Michigan Coney Islands. True they are mostly greek owned and serve big breakfasts. Many have greek specialties like stuffed grape leaves, pork chop sandwhiches and spinach pie, but what makes them all a Coney Island is there hot dogs with chili. Now I've had chili dogs all over the country, but most are tomatoe based, with beans and not very good. The coneys in michigan and detroit use a more spicey chili usually made with chili spice, tumeric and cumin. I currently live in California and its one of the only complaints I have, there is not chili dogs!! Open late hours! After the bar. or on a Sunday afternoon, nothing beats the home feeling you get after eating 2 on 1 with everything (two coneys on one plate) served with chopped onions and mustard!
DinoS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/12/13 23:10:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mikeobi

Im from Michigan, and have been many places arond the country. There is no place like Michigan Coney Islands. True they are mostly greek owned and serve big breakfasts. Many have greek specialties like stuffed grape leaves, pork chop sandwhiches and spinach pie, but what makes them all a Coney Island is there hot dogs with chili. Now I've had chili dogs all over the country, but most are tomatoe based, with beans and not very good. The coneys in michigan and detroit use a more spicey chili usually made with chili spice, tumeric and cumin. I currently live in California and its one of the only complaints I have, there is not chili dogs!! Open late hours! After the bar. or on a Sunday afternoon, nothing beats the home feeling you get after eating 2 on 1 with everything (two coneys on one plate) served with chopped onions and mustard!

I feel your pain mikeobi. I grew up in Michigan and ate coneys from one side of the state to the other. I've never found anything like them other than in Michigan.

You're right about the tomato product. I've tried dozens of recipes for 'michigan coney sauce' over the years and have never found a satisfactory one. As soon as I see that it has some sort of tomato in it, I know it's not the one.

I live in California too, and the closest facsimile to a Michigan coney I can find near me (Monterey area) is 20 mi north in Watsonville. If you only like mustard and onions (traditional) make sure you tell them, otherwise they'll add some relish.

Only 2 on 1? Man, I always get at least 3 and usually 4.

Dino
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/12/13 23:26:07 (permalink)
quote:

Like Dino said... I feel for ya... I'll think of ya tommorow when I visit the Red Hot Inn and have a few chili dogs w/everything! I'm actually going in to support them (and my stomach) after seeing a newscast this evening.. Here's a link to the story: http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2687354&nav=0RcdU9Xl Have you heard of anything more stupid lately? Edit: If you visit the website, we had wind gusts of 40 to 50 mph today, so the decorations may be a bit inverted.

Uncle Vic
(Oh ya, in Michigan)...
DinoS
Cheeseburger
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/12/13 23:48:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

Uncle Vic
(Oh ya, in Michigan)...

BTW Uncle Vic, do you know of a hamburger joint called something like 'Mr. Fables'? I thought they had great burgers - kinda like 'Crazy Jim's Blimpy Burger' in Ann Arbor. I used to fly in and out of the GR airport frequently, and would always stop at a Mr. Fables that was someplace out near the airport. Been gone from Michigan too long to remember exactly where.

Sorry for the off topic post folks.

Dino
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/12/13 23:58:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DinoS

quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

Uncle Vic
(Oh ya, in Michigan)...

BTW Uncle Vic, do you know of a hamburger joint called something like 'Mr. Fables'? I thought they had great burgers - kinda like 'Crazy Jim's Blimpy Burger' in Ann Arbor. I used to fly in and out of the GR airport frequently, and would always stop at a Mr. Fables that was someplace out near the airport. Been gone from Michigan too long to remember exactly where.

Sorry for the off topic post folks.

Dino

Oh ya, Mr Fables! The one by the airport was located on 44th street at East Paris and Broadmoor. All the Mr Fables went out of business here a few years back. (I used to work across the street from the 44th Street location and ate there all the time back in the mid 80's).
(If I wasn't eating there, I'd drive a mile south to the A&W (Broadmoor and 52nd) and grab 6 chili dogs with everything, but like all other good eats, they're history also)..
DinoS
Cheeseburger
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/12/14 02:05:55 (permalink)
Thanks for the info Uncle. Sorry to see Mr. Fables didn't make it.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Dino
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/12/14 02:20:45 (permalink)
quote:

Thanks for the info Uncle. Sorry to see Mr. Fables didn't make it.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Dino

COMMERCIAL INTERUPTION.

They survived 20+ years! But nothing can beat them 99 cent quality specials the national chains offer! Especially when LOSS is not a factor with the chain. Atleast I have no guilt in supporting them chains (I just say NO)! Just missing my local haunts... Now back to Seinfeld or Green Acres, or whatever else you may have been tuned into as Dino said!
marcbla
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/12/21 16:55:56 (permalink)
chili dog in tamaqua pa (formerly texas petes) in business since the fourties, great sauce, although now in a larger building they used to have a really small building with just 7 or 8 stools at the counter, he made enough money to put his kids through college just selling hot dogs
familydok
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 234
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/01/03 09:32:34 (permalink)
If you are ever in southeastern NC try Paul's Place-started out as one location near Wilmington a long time ago -recently added several sites in the area. They have a special sauce they make-sort of like chow-chow. The rolls are great-top split and very soft. You will either really like them or not care of them at all.
JBillig490
Junior Burger
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/05/11 18:25:30 (permalink)
Hazleton, PA
If you want to try the best Hot Dog ever, go to Hazleton, PA ...
Jimmy's Quick Lunch on Broad St.
Their Hot Dog, grilled, on a steamed bun with mustard, chili sauce and finely diced onions. They are great!
The hot dogs are Dietzen & Watson brand.
cool one
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/05/14 23:34:27 (permalink)
I prefer my hot dogs grilled The hebrew national natural casing
dog is quite tasty.
a high quality dog indeed
Scarchly
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/05/15 00:21:54 (permalink)
Spudnut,

I'm impressed that you've been to Ted's and Nick Tahou's. I have a source that sends me Zwegel's white hots. My feeling is that you could make a great hot dog trek across the NY State Thruway from Ted's in Tonawanda to Nick Tahous (what ever happened to Zab's?), to the Old Mill in Clifton Springs, to Heid's in Liverpool, and oh poop, what's that place just weat of Utica, then ending up in Troy for the itty bitty weinies at World Famous and Uncle Sam's, if they're still there. One of the kicks in Clifton Springs is that the 'kraut is made locally. You can smell tha cabbage when you're driving down the Thruway, if the wind is right. Have the dog with hot sauce and kraut. The kraut accentuates the burn.
Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/05/22 18:23:19 (permalink)
Zwiegle's has my vote as top dog. I have not seen where they are easily available, however. They have always been a Rochester, NY thing. Whenever I am in the area I always fill up an ice chest with them, usually equally with red and white hots.

NYC hots do nothing for me. For the most part NYC style tastes overwhelming of sodium nitrite. I am sure you could extract enough sodium nitrite out of a NYC style dog to make your own gun powder. I suppose that might be a plus for some folk, but not for me.
John Fox
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/05/22 18:39:31 (permalink)
Zweigle's are fine, but really more of a bratwurst than a hot dog. A different spicing, and milder in flavor than a Nathan's or Sabrett. I think it is the salt and spices in a N.Y. dog that you don't like. Zweigle's has as much sodium nitrite.
rlafolle
Junior Burger
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/06/22 07:24:03 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

I feel your pain mikeobi. I grew up in Michigan and ate coneys from one side of the state to the other. I've never found anything like them other than in Michigan.

You're right about the tomato product. I've tried dozens of recipes for 'michigan coney sauce' over the years and have never found a satisfactory one. As soon as I see that it has some sort of tomato in it, I know it's not the one.

I live in California too, and the closest facsimile to a Michigan coney I can find near me (Monterey area) is 20 mi north in Watsonville. If you only like mustard and onions (traditional) make sure you tell them, otherwise they'll add some relish.

Dino
rlafolle
Junior Burger
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/06/22 07:30:21 (permalink)
quote:

Having lived in Jackson Michigan for the first 18 years of my life I grew up on coney island hot dogs. I spent 20 years trying to come up with a coney sauce of my own. I live in the St. Louis area. I have something close and I have been selling coney dogs for years at work. I have just this week put my spice packet on ebay for sale: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5591859570
paoconnell
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/06/25 19:43:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cool one

I prefer my hot dogs grilled The hebrew national natural casing
dog is quite tasty.
a high quality dog indeed
geographer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/06/26 13:23:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scarchly

Spudnut,

I'm impressed that you've been to Ted's and Nick Tahou's. I have a source that sends me Zwegel's white hots. My feeling is that you could make a great hot dog trek across the NY State Thruway from Ted's in Tonawanda to Nick Tahous (what ever happened to Zab's?), to the Old Mill in Clifton Springs, to Heid's in Liverpool, and oh poop, what's that place just weat of Utica, then ending up in Troy for the itty bitty weinies at World Famous and Uncle Sam's, if they're still there. One of the kicks in Clifton Springs is that the 'kraut is made locally. You can smell tha cabbage when you're driving down the Thruway, if the wind is right. Have the dog with hot sauce and kraut. The kraut accentuates the burn.

I grew up in Northern New Jersey, but Heid's of Liverpool is my all-time favorite
pinetree
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/06/27 10:07:28 (permalink)
Hey! Don't know if you've already gone to Danbury, but growing up around there, the best place to me was Big Ed's stand, usually on Segar St or thereabouts. He has delicious sausage with onion sauce ~ along with a cream soda ~ mmmm mmmm mmmm. Also JKs at the end of Main St (can't remember the name of the cross road there)...has the famous Texas Hot Weiners...little hot dogs that are so good. JKs is also really good for breakfast. Have a lovely time in Danbury!
moezee
Junior Burger
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/07/04 15:06:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rlafolle

quote:

quote:

Dino

moezee
Junior Burger
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/07/04 15:19:22 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Having lived in Jackson Michigan for the first 18 years of my life I grew up on coney island hot dogs. I spent 20 years trying to come up with a coney sauce of my own. I live in the St. Louis area. I have something close and I have been selling coney dogs for years at work. I have just this week put my spice packet on ebay for sale: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5591859570

Hello. I grew up in Jackson, Michigan as well and love Coney Island Hot Dogs from Todoroff's. They do sell the coney meat in the grocery stores there and here is the web site for ordering online
http://www.todoroffs.com/tfi/Purchase/purchase_index.htm#PlaceOrderOnline

I too miss them, mainly eating them in the restaurant with the french frys and my sisters sitting there with me.
As soon as I can I will be ordering some to my Arizona home because you cant find it here. I happened upon this subject while looking for the recipe for Michigan Hots.
Take Care, Moezee
rlafolle
Junior Burger
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/07/05 08:26:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by moezee

quote:

quote:

Hello. I grew up in Jackson, Michigan as well and love Coney Island Hot Dogs from Todoroff's. They do sell the coney meat in the grocery stores there and here is the web site for ordering online
http://www.todoroffs.com/tfi/Purchase/purchase_index.htm#PlaceOrderOnline

I too miss them, mainly eating them in the restaurant with the french frys and my sisters sitting there with me.
As soon as I can I will be ordering some to my Arizona home because you cant find it here. I happened upon this subject while looking for the recipe for Michigan Hots.
Take Care, Moezee

From rlafolle
My first ebay ad expired and I relisted it, look for Lil Richies coney island hot dog sauce, thanks. And thanks for Todoroff's online ordering website.
Lil Richie
Real
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/07/11 01:56:47 (permalink)
Okay better late than never. I hope!

The Real thing (Vienna Hot Dogs) can be found at the following locations in San Diego:

Chicago on a Bun: La Jolla Area. No casing on dogs but, still great. Chicagoans. Beef Sandwiches are Vienna. Not quite Scala's but, still great or as close as you're gonna get here.

Sluggers, Downtown San Diego. Corner of 12th and Market Streets. Casings on dogs. Chicagoans. Beef Sandwiches are Vienna. Not quite Scala's but, as close as you can get out here.

The place east of I-805 off Mira Mesa Blvd (won't provide the name) does not know how to prepare properly. Not Chicagoan

The other place is in Escondido on Grand Ave (top of the Grand, Almost but, not quite. Don't even try the Beefs (I think they tried to save money and concocted their own creation). Not Chicagoan, In a pinch better than not.

Cheers. Unbelivable location to find Vienna Hot Dogs. Located in a Bar at the Southern Edge of Ramona on HWY-67. Available only during the NFL Season. The owner from MN went to Chicago and actually learned how to prep a Real Vienna Hot Dog. He also insisted on having casings. As with Chicago on a Bun and Sluggers, complete with steamed poppy seed buns. No Beefs.

A small sandwich shop in San Diego City Hall Promenade, Downtown, is trying real hard. Can do on this one with no regrets. No Beefs.

A Hot Dog Cart out in front of Horton Plaza serves Vienna Hot Dogs which can actually enhance the flavor of a Grinder roll and make it taste better but, he knows more than anyone else about the product and is too hard headed to get poppy seed buns. Definately not Chicagan.

That's about it for The San Diego Areas BROs. Or, what I know of. Hope this helps out!

quote:
Originally posted by pwoolever

I'm a native Chicagoan, living in Orange County, CA that sorely misses my Chicago Dawgs.

It's a real challenge finding a good hot dog in So Cal as So Cal has been deprived of a hot dog heritage by the Dodgers baseball franchise. People in So Cal go to a Dodgers game once a year and have been served abysmal Farmer John hot dogs at the stadium so they think that is what a hot dog tastes like. For that reason the authentic Chicago-style hot dog joints rarely stick around for long (although there are exceptions, Mustards and Champs in Los Alamitos) as they don't have the adoring public that great hot dog cities have.

There used to be a good Chicago-style restaurant in Laguna Niguel, Georgio's, that served authentic Vienna Beef Chicago Dogs and Italian Beef sandwiches. Same old story, great place, lasted a year or two, and then closed. Other times you find a place that serves Chicago Dogs and unbeknownst to you it's sold to someone that knows nothing about them and the next time you go there you get a toasted bun, or they don't use Vienna Beef, or something else that lets you know the good times are over.

Pink's is OK, but's another whole different bird.

Last year for Christmas I ordered 10 lbs of Vienna Beef hot dogs off the Vienna Beef website. It worked great. You tell them the day you want them delivered and they arrive packed in dry ice. You can order a whole Chicago hot dog kit too containing poppy seed buns, that freaky green relish, etc.

My husband, a native Californian, never appreciated a good hot dog until I took him to Super Dawg on a trip to Chi-town. Now he's a convert.

If anyone's familiar with So Cal, especially Orange County, and can recommend other Chicago Dog places I'd be delighted. Heck, I'd drive to the Valley or San Diego for a good Chicago dog.

Damn, my mouth's watering...
WholeHog45
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/07/12 14:56:39 (permalink)
Anyone still interested in the lobels hot dogs should order through the weber grill site:
http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/recipe/menu.aspx

Click on link at bottom to take you to the lobels site and you receive 2 16oz packages of hot dogs free with any order. Free 30 bucks in hot dogs. Enjoy.
JoColl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2005/09/07 12:25:53 (permalink)
1) Rosco's Big Dog, Hartford, Conn. A great German style dog that is slow cooked on a griddle and served on a split New England style bun. I promised the owner that I wouldn't divulge the brand used on a public forum, but it is from Jersey. I have access to it where I live, but nowhere near me does any hot dog joint use this particular dog. Rosco's dog is a nice big size, 4 or 5 to a lb. As good a dog as you will find anywhere. I know we're talking hot dogs, but this one is as close to deserving of the label "gourmet" as any frankfurter.

2) Syd's, Union, N.J. The best example of a kosher style all beef dog that I've had. A natural casing (as are all of the dogs except Charlies) 5 to a lb footlong with a perfect blend of spices. Just delicious. From Best Provisions in Newark, N.J. This is one of the dogs that I cook at home. I cook it like Syd's; simmerred in water, than charbroiled. The Star Ledger's pick as best in Jersey.

3) Charlies Italian Hot Dogs, Kenilworth, N.J. Probably my favorite thing in the world to eat. It is a meal in itself, but more of a sandwich than a hot dog. Invented in, and unique to Jersey. Deep fried beef dogs (Best's) placed in Pita like bread with peppers, onions, and potatoes. Also called a Newark style dog, after it's town of origin. Charlies makes the best example of this sandwich, better than Jimmy Buff's, Dickiee Dees, and the rest.

4) The Galloping Hill Inn, Union, N.J. A griddle cooked, German style dog. Also considered by many (N.J. Monthly) to be the best in Jersey. My favorite of this style in Jersey. (I like the dog at Rosco's better) They use a Grote & Weigle griddle frank from Conn. It has a different casing than the other Grote & Weigle franks that are used in Jersey and Conn. This results in a different amount of smoke getting through in the smoking process. The end product is slightly different and better than the dogs used by every other restaurant that uses the G&W griddle franks. Also a unique, harder football shaped bun.

5) Papaya King, New York, N.Y. A small (10 to a lb) all beef Sabrett dog slowly cooked on low heat (160 degrees). The quintessential New York dog. Cheap, spicy, and unique. For many people, Sabrett is the standard. Same dog used at Gray's and Katz's but it is fresher and cooked better at Papaya King..

6) Nathan's, Coney Island, N.Y. 8 to a lb all beef dog made for Nathan's by SMG Meats. There are many Nathan's, but none better than the original. Some use the same dog, cook it the same way (griddle) and are as good. Others use the cheaper, skinless version and cook it on the roller grill. Same style as Sabrett, but with a different spicing. Maybe the most venerable hot dog joint in America. Lives up to its reputation.

7) Super Duper Weenie, Fairfield, Conn. A quarter pound beef and pork dog from Miller's Provisions in Stratford. One dog that I will eat with toppings. I love the New Englander with mustard, sweet relish (homemade) and a strip of bacon right in the middle where the dog is split. Also cooked on the griddle, this dog has slightly less flavor than the Rosco's or Galloping Hill Inn dog in order to blend in well with the homemade toppings. But it's also flavorful enough to be enjoyed with just a little bit of mustard. A great dog.

8) Rutt's Hut, Clifton, N.J. This is the best deep fried dog in existence. Pork and beef, and made especially to withstand the high temperature of the heating oil, this dog plumps up and rips; hence the ripper. Great plain, which is how I had it for a few years until I tried their fantastic homemade relish. Sorry I waited. The single best hot dog condiment. This dog used to be my favorite, but now I think I prefer the taste that griddle frying imparts. This dog is one of the most unique in flavor and texture. There seems to be no middle ground here. You either love it or hate it. I, and most others love it.

9) The Hot Grill, Pink's, or Lafayette Coney Island. All three make chili dogs. In Jersey (Hot Grill) it's called a Texas Weiner. In Michigan (Lafayette Coney Island) it's called a Coney. In LA (Pink's) it's called a chili dog. I haven't tried the last 2, but feel that they should be included because of their regional popularity. The Hot Grill uses a mild tasting beef and pork dog made by Sabrett that complements their flavorfull chili sauce. This is the best example of North Jersey Texas Weiner sauce that I've sampled. Thin and spicy with cloves, coriander and other spices, this chili is shipped all over the country and even into other countries. The Hot Grill may sell more hot dogs than any other place in New Jersey.

10) Superdawg, Chicago, Ill. I included a Chicago style dog even though it's not one of my favorite types of hot dogs. I have had an authentic one (according to the Chicago Tribune) in New York at Danny Meyers stand in Madison Park. The Vienna frank was ok, but a little milder than what I like in an all beef dog. I had a Chicago dog and one with just the Vienna frank and mustard. I preferred the one with just mustard. It wasn't buried under all of the toppings. The other ingredients clashed with the dog and overpowered it, especially the sports peppers. But that's just my opinion. Chicagoans and others love this dog. And there's a lot to be said for a town that has more hot dog joints than Burger King, Wendy's, and McDonald's combined. I would go for the char dogs and spicier polish sausages. I picked Superdawg because I prefer the frank they use (Sinai 48) to the more common (and popular) Vienna Frank. Plus, I like the addition of a pickled green tomato (unique to Superdawg) if you're gonna have a lot of toppings.

Thanks for indulging me. I'd love to hear your opinions.
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/01/04 19:37:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Badwaiter
Chicago could have dominated that list! Anyhow, Hot Doug's in Chicago should be on any top 10 list. As soon as it reopens (recent fire) Chicagoans or visitors can see for themselves. Here's the link to their site. http://www.hotdougs.com/menu.htm Click on condiments and specials for a better idea of that Doug is selling.

And where are the Detroit Coneys?

So could a few cities, notably New York. I'd make a list of 5 or so from each city
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/01/04 20:04:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RenziThe Vienna Dog doen't have much flavor. Maybe that's why they bury it under all that crazy stuff plus the overseeded poppy bun.

Nah. That started during the depression when vendors tried putting all the veggies on top to give consumers a meal instead of just a hot dog. That's why I love Chicago. Just get your car stuck in the snow once if you don't believe me. Half a dozen of your fellow citizens will be on the back to give you a push within 2 seconds. I'm not a fan of pepperoncini or relish, so I ask them to leave it off. No complaints any more, except there are a lot of places where they don't have cucumbers.

quote:
Originally posted by RenziNY pizza is still no. 1! I never did like Pizzacake.

I don't either, so I eat Chicago Style. Deep dish pizzas are 3/4 dough and 1/4 crap if you're lucky. Chicago style is the other way around if you're not lucky. 1/4 inch thick crust on a 2 inch pizza is pretty good, but it's not hard to do better in Chicago. I've had more than enough pizza you can carry around. I'm getting well fed because I don't put up with pizza you can fold, and pizza's surprisingly nourishing in the deal, too.

I remember my first slice of Chicago Style Pizza while in the Navy. I got it at Pizzeria Uno, right there on Wabash and Ohio. I ignorantly picked it up and ended up wearing half of it. Naturally I was in my dress whites at the time. Sheesh. A couple waitresses got the stain out and got a huge tip in the deal. I should have asked them how they did it. I'm told that Pizzeria Uno's quality dropped a bunch since then (June of 1981), but I've been to other places in the Chicago area for the real deal and have yet to have a bad slice. It's OKAY to sit down and savor your pizza! Of course, it helps if it's worth savoring.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1