America's Best Hot Dogs

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/01/04 20:07:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bobt
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a good footlong hot dog in minnesota? I have looked online for someplace that would ship them and cant find anyone...I know hormel makes a excellant footlong..but the public cant purchase it through hormel...and even if I got a distributor to order it the minimum is 16 cases...way too many..So if anyone knows of a place I can order a good quality natural casing coarse ground foot long let me know!

Here's a dirty little secret. Buy for the church, firehouse, scout or whatever fundraiser, and take the tax break. After the sale, divvy up what's left over with your co-workers.

My fingers have boogers on them that got squeezed out of Lincoln's nose from the pennies I pinch, and I BRAG about it!

My final word, until someone else makes a post I feel led to comment on:

I went to Wrigley Field year before last for a Cubs game (which they lost, but I'm used to that) The game went into extra innings, so I went to the concessionaire for a dog. I was FURIOUS when they told me they didn't have Chicago Style fixin's. Condiments are good if they're quality and you like 'em, and it's a part of the experience. They had a Vienna dog with no casing, and that's okay with me, but no tomatoes or onions is blasphemy! I did get the yellow mustard, but it wasn't even French's!
ahmadtk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/04/23 18:07:13 (permalink)
I have always been a fan of the Chicago dog made with vienna hotdogs and poppy seed buns.

St. Louis has a great place called Woofies. I highly recommend it.

Another place that is a good place for gyros and vienna dogs is a place call Red Hots off of Olive close to Chesterfield, Mo.
St. Louis Browns fan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/04/27 22:14:25 (permalink)
My favorite Chicago hot dog is no-frills Gene & Jude's. Their Viennas are perfectly boiled with a short list of toppings (mustard, onion, relish, sport peppers). The fries are world class and addictive. DON'T ask for ketchup for the dog or fries. They don't carry a drop of the stuff in the place. The McDonald's next door makes money selling packets to Gene & Jude's customers.
dotnosalt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/06/10 11:56:32 (permalink)
James Original Coney Islands "all the way" which are found in the Houston area. These dogs are put together in specially made Mrs. Baird's buns that are closed at the ends to contain the chili and finely chopped white onions. Definitely an old school weiner classic. If you order all the way with cheese, they will top with cheese whiz that comes out of a cheese gun. Also quite tasty!
Pastry Man
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/06/10 22:23:33 (permalink)
Hot Dougs in Chicago is unlike anything I've ever seen...but there's another local favorite on the south side Jim's Original at 1250 S. Union Avenue, near W. Roosevelt RD. and the Ryan...you get your fries and peppers on the side even at 3 am!

Cheers!
Skipcanavan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/09/02 03:21:10 (permalink)
Tex Barry's in Taunton, Ma. Have not been there in years but I can taste them now!
jaegerdog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/09/04 18:20:46 (permalink)
No question about it...Gene & Judes on River Road in River Grove!!!! Drive by that place at 1 in morning and there is a line out the door. Just heard that a second location is going to open at the corner of Mill and Lake in Addison Illinois....A second close would be Gina's Drive-in, route 83 and Irving Park road in Bensenville. Years back was called Bea's...big white building, greasy fries....yeah baby...Oh yeah, you can ask for ketchup there and they won't kick you the door...enjoy
KenK
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/09/07 21:39:47 (permalink)
Jaegerdog, I have a picture of a chicago style hot dog from Gene & Judes along with some other famous chicago style dogs for your viewing pleasure. http://www.greasefreak.com/hotdogs.html
gsteinb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/09/22 06:29:29 (permalink)
Does anyone have a copy of this article? I never saved it and epicurious seems to have removed it. thanks.
Kayle
Junior Burger
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/09/24 23:12:19 (permalink)
Hi, I lived up in New England for 7 years in Groton Ct, and Sturbridge, Mass. I have yet to find any good hotdogs out with the exception of Nathans. I have one time when I was a kid had an Essem, I know that when cook and eaten they snap because of the casing. Does anyone know if the company has a web page or if anyone in the New England area will ship out here? Thanks
Top Gun
Junior Burger
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/10/30 01:56:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by geographer

quote:
Originally posted by Scarchly

Spudnut,

I'm impressed that you've been to Ted's and Nick Tahou's. I have a source that sends me Zwegel's white hots. My feeling is that you could make a great hot dog trek across the NY State Thruway from Ted's in Tonawanda to Nick Tahous (what ever happened to Zab's?), to the Old Mill in Clifton Springs, to Heid's in Liverpool, and oh poop, what's that place just weat of Utica, then ending up in Troy for the itty bitty weinies at World Famous and Uncle Sam's, if they're still there. One of the kicks in Clifton Springs is that the 'kraut is made locally. You can smell tha cabbage when you're driving down the Thruway, if the wind is right. Have the dog with hot sauce and kraut. The kraut accentuates the burn.

I grew up in Northern New Jersey, but Heid's of Liverpool is my all-time favorite

Heids of Liverpool gets my vote with Hofmann's a close second. Both places serve Hofmann's franks and coneys, which by themselves are tough to beat.
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/10/30 02:34:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog John,

Who really makes America's best hot dog? This is like asking, "Who is the best human being on the face of the earth?" The question should be, "What makes each dog distinctive?" Original Chicago style hot dogs stand shoulder to shoulder with every top quality dog in America! The original Chicago style hot dog was introduced when two young immigrants brought their frankfurter recipe from Austria/Hungary to the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. This was the beginning of the Vienna Beef Company where more than 80% of the 1,800 plus hot dog vendors proudly serve their products. When you're ready to review Chicago style hot dogs in Chicago, I'll be happy to be your personal tour guide.

Sincerely,

Mark aka chicagostyledog
Born in Chicago
Raised in Chicago
Selling Vienna Beef Maxwell Street Polish
I was told by Vienna Beef that it was an unnamed street vendor trying to give his customers a sorta full meal for their nickle invented the Chicago Style Dog (all the stuff on top). I'm assuming that slaw dogs and chili dogs have similar histories, but don't know that for a fact.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3285
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/11/20 01:43:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

I was told by Vienna Beef that it was an unnamed street vendor trying to give his customers a sorta full meal for their nickle invented the Chicago Style Dog (all the stuff on top).

The unnamed street vendor
DixieDawgs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/11/20 10:15:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

I was told by Vienna Beef that it was an unnamed street vendor trying to give his customers a sorta full meal for their nickle invented the Chicago Style Dog (all the stuff on top). I'm assuming that slaw dogs and chili dogs have similar histories, but don't know that for a fact.

Strictly a guess on my part, but since the Slaw dog seems to a Southern thing primarily, it would not surprise to find that its concoction has something to do with the South’s love affair with bar-B-Que. Slaw being a staple side item with Q, its not much of a leap to use it on other foods, burgers and chicken sandwiches with slaw are also popular here.

Here in Birmingham, most hot dog places have a "special" sauce that is usually vinegar and tomato based with myriad spices that is a close cousin to BBQ sauce, only slightly less spicy and occasionally includes finely ground meat. Sneaky Pete's Gus's Dino, Sam's, Tip Top and most other local establishments top their menu with their version of a "special" dog.

I would not surprise to find that the Chili Dog has roots similar to that as well.

But then again who knows for sure.

DD
brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/11/20 12:07:20 (permalink)
What I miss is the old fasjioned weiners on strings. As a kid my grandmother(German immagants) always had a package of butcher paper tied with string full. The street vendors and diners were everywhere. The soft poppyseed buns with the vienna sausage, pickle spear, onion and tomato. Growing up in the 60's I missed the nickle dog but I still remember buying a dog, and a fountain soda for my quarter allowance( a little left over change and I got fries too!). I also remember the little shack on Diversy just off Cicero. I tried his hot Tamale one time. I always dreamed about it(they were huge). It took my whole quarter(I hated it-another childhood fantasy disappointed, lol).
DixieDawgs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/11/20 13:49:13 (permalink)
After posting I had an appetite for a Slaw dog. I just got back from Salem’s (locally famous long before Craig Kilborn extolled its virtues on Late Night). Ahhhh, I am quite happy now.
Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 507
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/11/20 13:58:49 (permalink)
Dixie, where you located?
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3285
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2007/11/20 14:21:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by brittneal

What I miss is the old fashioned weiners on strings. As a kid my grandmother(German immagants) always had a package of butcher paper tied with string full.

Bill Geist is holding is a Vienna Beef, half pound, natural casing, hot dog. These are tied end dogs. They're a commercial foodservice product available in ten pound cases with four dogs to a link. I'm a west sider (Roosevelt & Keeler) circa 1947. My Lithuanian/Polish grandparents would take me shopping on Maxwell street on Saturday's. It was a five minute street car ride from our apartment to the Vienna Beef Factory Store on Halsted, near Maxwell Street.

CSD

BarenakedChef
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2008/07/22 22:59:30 (permalink)
We have a Coney Island in Crestview Florida that is out of this world!!! (that should also be on this list :))
Clay Bell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2008/07/25 19:37:07 (permalink)
I tried to get to the top 10 list at Epi magazine and could not find it any suggestions
Clay Bell
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2008/07/25 23:16:01 (permalink)
csd, my grandfather owned k hanfling shoe soles on roosevelt and kedzie and his brother owned a hat store at roosevelt and kedvale area back then, my dads warehouse was in the hood off ogden and kedzie by howland gramar school
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10093
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2008/07/25 23:45:20 (permalink)
[8D
quote:
Originally posted by BarenakedChef

We have a Coney Island in Crestview Florida that is out of this world!!! (that should also be on this list :))

I owned a business in Milligan FL years ago and would go into Crestview for Dogs (!986-87). There was a joint next to the railroad tracks that sold coneys 3 for a buck, with sauce and burgers smothered with coney sauce. Is that the place you're talking about???
Stewdude
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2008/08/18 12:13:49 (permalink)
After several visits, I personally am ready to declare that Super Duper Weenie in Fairfiled, Ct. is the best hot dog place I have been to. The spicy Georgia Red Hot is spicy hot dog perfection. Gary's home made relishes are incredible additions,with a slight personal nod to the hot relish over the sweet one. The other not to be missed item on the menu - the Mighty Ity. Not a hot dog but a sausage sandwich with peppers and onions on a portugese roll. If an egg over easy could be added to that sandwich, would be breakfast perfection.

With Nathans taking the silver medal in the hot dog Olympic challenge, Blackies, on the strength of its pepper relish, which is outstandingly spicy and available by the jar, takes the hot dog bronze.
bigger_boat_75
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2008/08/19 07:47:16 (permalink)
Just got back from Boston and a series of Red Sox Games. I still love those Fenway Franks. If you ever go, try the $1 Fenway Franks at the Lower Depths Tap Room near the Ball Park. 476 Commonwealth Ave.
kevin0045
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Flagged as Spam (1)
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2008/08/27 10:39:26 (permalink)
i think it is interesting topic.i really enjoy it .i want to know more about it.
MinnesotaAlcoholAddictionTreatment
kevin0045
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Flagged as Spam (2)
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2008/08/27 10:43:51 (permalink)
hi i am kevin i think it is interesting subject.

http://www.alcoholaddiction.org/minnesota
markpapo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2009/05/02 11:00:31 (permalink)
markpapo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
Re:America's Best Hot Dogs 2009/05/02 11:08:59 (permalink)

i llove hot dogs..i have lived in the metropolitan ny area my entire life ...i have had the impossibly great hot dogs of the original nathans..i have sampled the perfect hot dogs at katz's.....the fried dogs at rutt's hut are really good...but i go to maine every summer and my best friend of 45 years makes fun of me becauase the food i rave about is flo's hot dogs...they are steamed to the perct crispness the buns are warm and the concepyually disgusting combination to a red blooded new yourker of their sauce an a strip of mayo really works....i enjoy these dogs as much as any i have ever had
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1