America's Best Hot Dogs

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
2004/05/15 05:59:32 (permalink)

America's Best Hot Dogs

We've done what turned out to be perhaps the most challenging Top Ten list for epicurious.com: America's best hot dogs. We lobbied to make it a 12-part feature, with Top-Ten lists for the best hot dogs in New Jersey, Chicago, Rhode Island, etc., but had to limit our choices to 10 from the entire country! What delicious agony those decisions were. Here's a link to the story: http://eat.epicurious.com/restaurant/sterns/index.ssf/?/restaurant/sterns/hotdogs.html

117 Replies Related Threads

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/15 07:26:44 (permalink)
    Oh Michael----i'm afraid no matter which ten you picked--your bound to leave out so many folks favorites!!But i'm sure we will all remember that you were limited by the restraints of others. This said--i would LOVE to see John Fox's list too!--and im looking forward to watching this forum!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6817
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/15 19:33:47 (permalink)
    Sorry that Bob's Drive-In, Le Mars, Iowa didn't make the cut.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1255
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/15 21:47:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

We've done what turned out to be perhaps the most challenging Top Ten list for epicurious.com: America's best hot dogs. We lobbied to make it a 12-part feature, with Top-Ten lists for the best hot dogs in New Jersey, Chicago, Rhode Island, etc., but had to limit our choices to 10 from the entire country! What delicious agony those decisions were. Here's a link to the story: http://eat.epicurious.com/restaurant/sterns/index.ssf/?/restaurant/sterns/hotdogs.html

There was a hot dog place I went that is just north of New York City -- it was in the Roadfood book. Looking at the top ten list, I don't know whether it was considered for entry, but those dogs were very good.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/16 15:38:21 (permalink)
    Loved reading the story of the top 10... Long live the Chili Dog!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/16 17:50:21 (permalink)
    Michael,
    Dagnabbit - you left out Nu-Way Weiners in beautiful downtown Macon, Georgia!!!!!!!
    Well, I really shouldn't fuss... I haven't made it there yet myself. But I will as soon as possible....
    Hungrily, Ort. Carlton, Ye Travelling Trencherman, in 30601-land.
    Badwaiter
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/17 13:56:55 (permalink)
    Chicago could have dominated that list! Anyhow, Hot Doug's in Chicago should be on any top 10 list. As soon as it reopens (recent fire) Chicagoans or visitors can see for themselves. Here's the link to their site. http://www.hotdougs.com/menu.htm Click on condiments and specials for a better idea of that Doug is selling.

And where are the Detroit Coneys?
    tonemonster2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/17 16:02:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    There was a hot dog place I went that is just north of New York City -- it was in the Roadfood book. Looking at the top ten list, I don't know whether it was considered for entry, but those dogs were very good.

Would that be Walters in Mamaroneck ? It's about 15 miles from NYC !
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/17 16:07:02 (permalink)
    I agree with the multiple state idea.
    Most of the New England States have 5 or 6 great places of their own.
    Penoose
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/19 01:18:33 (permalink)
    >>And where are the Detroit Coneys?<<

Lafayette Coney Island is conspicuously absent.

P.j.
    DinoS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/19 17:12:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Penoose

>>And where are the Detroit Coneys?<<

Lafayette Coney Island is conspicuously absent.

P.j.

I agree 100%. All of these lists I see of great hot dog stands never mention the Lafayette Coney Island and other 'Coney stands' in Detroit and Michigan. I've been to Pink's in LA dozens of times and the Lafayette is every bit as good. Sans the movie stars of course.

Rutt's Hutt, Smutt's Butt. Doesn't look good to this hot dog lover. They can keep their deep fried rippers.

Dino
    Stewdude
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/24 12:33:21 (permalink)
    I know this is an impossible topic...getting the list down to only ten places but hard to imagine that the original Nathan's at Coney Island did not make the cut. Something about the ocean air, the sea salt smells and the long line outside the multitude of windows ratchets the taste of these dogs up a notch or two But I am also sure that just about everyone has that one special dog place that they could not believe did not make it!
    mountain traveler
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/25 00:14:02 (permalink)
    There is a B/K rootbeer stand down the street from my dad's house in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio that has some of the best coney dogs and kraut dogs. The root beer is excellent. This place has been there for at least 50 years and they still pack'em in during the summer. I remember as a kid growing up there I could get a hot dog for 25 cents. I would bring home a sack of them for me and my mom and a gallon of root beer ice cold in a glass jug.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2335
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/28 21:51:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

Oh Michael----i'm afraid no matter which ten you picked--your bound to leave out so many folks favorites!!But i'm sure we will all remember that you were limited by the restraints of others. This said--i would LOVE to see John Fox's list too!--and im looking forward to watching this forum!

Picking a top ten list is extremely difficult when there are so many choices. I wish they would have allowed a top ten list from each region. There are different types of dogs (German style beef and pork, all beef, deep fried, dirty water, Texas Weiner, etc.) and I can come up with a top ten for each type. Plus taste is very subjective. I have tasted dogs from many of the places in the eastern part of the U.S. I am familiar with the brands used by many of the places in the central and western U.S. Plus I have friends who have travelled all over including a few who have opened their own places. They know what I like, and have been able to describe the dogs from the parts of the country they have been to. For example, there is a place in Pittsburgh called the Original, or Dirty O. This restaurant was in the Stern's previous top ten a few years back. A friend of mine opened a place nearby. The O did a lot of business due to their proximity to a college, plus they are maybe more famous for their excellent fries than their dogs. My friend said that everyone raved about his dogs (Sabrett from N.Y./N.J. that weren't available anywhere else in Pittsburgh). The owners of the O even came by to check out the new kids in town. The general consensus of hot dog connoisseurs was that the dogs were far superior to the O's. Yet the Original is on many "best of" lists.

Forgive the long post that follows, but I'd like to make a few observations and share my opinions on hot dogs since eating, reading about, and enjoying them is probably my number 1 hobby. In my opinion, you have to start with a quality dog, otherwise it doesn't matter what you do to it. Most of the frankfurters in this country are ok, but average. I like cooking at home, and get my franks from a variety of sources. But I also like going to hot dog joints and seeking out new ones. Plus, half of the fun in my weird hobby is reading the opinions of others. Funny how what some rave about is disgusting to other people. I love Rutt's Hut, but my family thinks their dogs are disgusting. Other people travel far for a dog at Hot Dog Johnny's, but it is one of the few places that I really disliked a lot.

As I said, you have to start with a quality dog. Then you have to choose a cooking method. I like toppings occassionally, but am more of a bare bones guy. I like to try a dog for the first time with just mustard; preferably brown deli mustard. On occassion I'll have the unique relish from Rutt's Hut (which you can get to use at home) or the chili sauce at The Hot Grill. Other than that, it's mustard only. An exception would be an Italian Hot Dog which is 2 deep fried beef dogs put on circular pizza bread with peppers, onions, and thin sliced potatoes. This is more of a sandwich. I like the way the flavors blend together and complement each other without overwhelming the taste of the dog. The ingredients go together better in my opinion than the ingredients in a Chicago Hot Dog which I feel is overwhelmed by everything on it especially the spicy sports peppers.

I think that the best hot dog restaurants are in New Jersey and Conn. New York has some good dogs, but not the overall variety that you get in Jersey and Connecticut. Both of these states use all beef dogs in the kosher style as well as the German style beef and pork. And both also employ grilling, char broiling, deep frying, and combinations of these. While both states make good dogs locally, they are both willing to use franks from different areas. Many Jersey places use Conn. franks, while my top dog from Conn. uses a dog from Jersey.

Before I give my top ten, let me again reiterate that this list represents just one person's opinion. Granted, I've tried a lot of dogs, probably more than most people. But it's my favorites, and includes different types (Italian Hot Dog, grilled all beef, grilled German style, deep fried, Texas Weiner.) It's easy for me to list my favorites within each style. For example, comparing kosher style all beef to a milder German style dog is like comparing apples and oranges. I like both styles. On any given day, I prefer one to another. My 3rd favorite all beef dog may be preferable to my favorite beef and pork dog on that particular day. Plus my tastes and preferences change from time to time. So take that into consideration.

I'd also like to comment on some of the dogs that did not make my list. There are many that are popular, but to me are ordinary. People may like them because of the atmosphere of the particular restaurant (Hot Dog Johnny's comes to mind) or the particular house topping. For example, I've been to Flo's. Nothing special at all. A steamed beef and pork dog from Schultz's, which is a local meat producer. Mild tasting, but I don't like steaming a dog with pork in it. The appeal of this dog is mostly due to the onion relish. I'm not crazy about onions, so I didn't try it. Walter's is another place that I feel is overrated. A very mild tasting (bland even) dog that is 1/3 beef, 1/3 pork, 1/3 veal. A good snack, and they have a good mustard, but the dogs are ordinary. For me, the dog has to be able to stand on it's own.

My top ten, keeping in mind that the order can change from time to time according to my taste or mood.

1) Rosco's Big Dog, Hartford, Conn. A great German style dog that is slow cooked on a griddle and served on a split New England style bun. I promised the owner that I wouldn't divulge the brand used on a public forum, but it is from Jersey. I have access to it where I live, but nowhere near me does any hot dog joint use this particular dog. Rosco's dog is a nice big size, 4 or 5 to a lb. As good a dog as you will find anywhere. I know we're talking hot dogs, but this one is as close to deserving of the label "gourmet" as any frankfurter.

2) Syd's, Union, N.J. The best example of a kosher style all beef dog that I've had. A natural casing (as are all of the dogs except Charlies) 5 to a lb footlong with a perfect blend of spices. Just delicious. From Best Provisions in Newark, N.J. This is one of the dogs that I cook at home. I cook it like Syd's; simmerred in water, than charbroiled. The Star Ledger's pick as best in Jersey.

3) Charlies Italian Hot Dogs, Kenilworth, N.J. Probably my favorite thing in the world to eat. It is a meal in itself, but more of a sandwich than a hot dog. Invented in, and unique to Jersey. Deep fried beef dogs (Best's) placed in Pita like bread with peppers, onions, and potatoes. Also called a Newark style dog, after it's town of origin. Charlies makes the best example of this sandwich, better than Jimmy Buff's, Dickiee Dees, and the rest.

4) The Galloping Hill Inn, Union, N.J. A griddle cooked, German style dog. Also considered by many (N.J. Monthly) to be the best in Jersey. My favorite of this style in Jersey. (I like the dog at Rosco's better) They use a Grote & Weigle griddle frank from Conn. It has a different casing than the other Grote & Weigle franks that are used in Jersey and Conn. This results in a different amount of smoke getting through in the smoking process. The end product is slightly different and better than the dogs used by every other restaurant that uses the G&W griddle franks. Also a unique, harder football shaped bun.

5) Papaya King, New York, N.Y. A small (10 to a lb) all beef Sabrett dog slowly cooked on low heat (160 degrees). The quintessential New York dog. Cheap, spicy, and unique. For many people, Sabrett is the standard. Same dog used at Gray's and Katz's but it is fresher and cooked better at Papaya King..

6) Nathan's, Coney Island, N.Y. 8 to a lb all beef dog made for Nathan's by SMG Meats. There are many Nathan's, but none better than the original. Some use the same dog, cook it the same way (griddle) and are as good. Others use the cheaper, skinless version and cook it on the roller grill. Same style as Sabrett, but with a different spicing. Maybe the most venerable hot dog joint in America. Lives up to its reputation.

7) Super Duper Weenie, Fairfield, Conn. A quarter pound beef and pork dog from Miller's Provisions in Stratford. One dog that I will eat with toppings. I love the New Englander with mustard, sweet relish (homemade) and a strip of bacon right in the middle where the dog is split. Also cooked on the griddle, this dog has slightly less flavor than the Rosco's or Galloping Hill Inn dog in order to blend in well with the homemade toppings. But it's also flavorful enough to be enjoyed with just a little bit of mustard. A great dog.

8) Rutt's Hut, Clifton, N.J. This is the best deep fried dog in existence. Pork and beef, and made especially to withstand the high temperature of the heating oil, this dog plumps up and rips; hence the ripper. Great plain, which is how I had it for a few years until I tried their fantastic homemade relish. Sorry I waited. The single best hot dog condiment. This dog used to be my favorite, but now I think I prefer the taste that griddle frying imparts. This dog is one of the most unique in flavor and texture. There seems to be no middle ground here. You either love it or hate it. I, and most others love it.

9) The Hot Grill, Pink's, or Lafayette Coney Island. All three make chili dogs. In Jersey (Hot Grill) it's called a Texas Weiner. In Michigan (Lafayette Coney Island) it's called a Coney. In LA (Pink's) it's called a chili dog. I haven't tried the last 2, but feel that they should be included because of their regional popularity. The Hot Grill uses a mild tasting beef and pork dog made by Sabrett that complements their flavorfull chili sauce. This is the best example of North Jersey Texas Weiner sauce that I've sampled. Thin and spicy with cloves, coriander and other spices, this chili is shipped all over the country and even into other countries. The Hot Grill may sell more hot dogs than any other place in New Jersey.

10) Superdawg, Chicago, Ill. I included a Chicago style dog even though it's not one of my favorite types of hot dogs. I have had an authentic one (according to the Chicago Tribune) in New York at Danny Meyers stand in Madison Park. The Vienna frank was ok, but a little milder than what I like in an all beef dog. I had a Chicago dog and one with just the Vienna frank and mustard. I preferred the one with just mustard. It wasn't buried under all of the toppings. The other ingredients clashed with the dog and overpowered it, especially the sports peppers. But that's just my opinion. Chicagoans and others love this dog. And there's a lot to be said for a town that has more hot dog joints than Burger King, Wendy's, and McDonald's combined. I would go for the char dogs and spicier polish sausages. I picked Superdawg because I prefer the frank they use (Sinai 48) to the more common (and popular) Vienna Frank. Plus, I like the addition of a pickled green tomato (unique to Superdawg) if you're gonna have a lot of toppings.

Thanks for indulging me. I'd love to hear your opinions.
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/28 22:47:03 (permalink)
    Mr. Fox, you have my sincere admiration !
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/29 11:01:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pigface

Mr. Fox, you have my sincere admiration !

Amen to that! John Fox--you are truly a treasure and i count myself lucky to have met you and thankful for this website and the technology that has made that meeting possible! I am saving this list.In the next two yrs i will have occasion to be near everyone of the places on it!
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3301
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/30 23:47:54 (permalink)
    John,

Who really makes America's best hot dog? This is like asking, "Who is the best human being on the face of the earth?" The question should be, "What makes each dog distinctive?" Original Chicago style hot dogs stand shoulder to shoulder with every top quality dog in America! The original Chicago style hot dog was introduced when two young immigrants brought their frankfurter recipe from Austria/Hungary to the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. This was the beginning of the Vienna Beef Company where more than 80% of the 1,800 plus hot dog vendors proudly serve their products. When you're ready to review Chicago style hot dogs in Chicago, I'll be happy to be your personal tour guide.

Sincerely,

Mark aka chicagostyledog
    Born in Chicago
    Raised in Chicago
    Selling Vienna Beef Maxwell Street Polish
    John Fox
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/31 08:17:21 (permalink)
    Mark,
    Some day I'll make it to Chicago. I've read about the many places there as well as seen pictures of the dogs. And I've had the Vienna frank a few times. As you stated, the question "who makes America's best hot dog" is tough to answer, and as I say all the time, extremely subjective. I give my opinions which reflect my tastes and likes. The Vienna dog is a good one; I just prefer a slightly spicier beef dog. And I'm not fond of all the toppings. But this dog is very popular in Chicago; so much so that practically every hot dog joint there serves a dog in this style. All beef (80% Vienna) with yellow mustard (I prefer spicy brown) pickle, onions, sports peppers. And the dogs are mostly boiled or simmerred in water. Many people prefer their dogs cooked this way. It keeps the juices in and heats the dog nicely. But I like my dogs grilled. Either charbroiled or griddle fried. Again, just my personal preference.

I know people who have moved from Jersey to the Chicago area (at least 2) who now prefer the Chicago style dog to what we have in Jersey, although it took them a little while to get used to the difference. And there are hot dog vendors in other states that attempt to sell Chicago dogs. I do believe that with the right ingredients and the right method of cooking, an authentic Chicago style hot dog can be made anywhere. I'm sure if you moved to Jersey, you can make the same dog.

If/when I ever make it to Chicago, I would try the many places that I've heard of and read about. With an open mind. But I believe that I would prefer a place like Wiener's Circle or one like it where you can get your beef dog charbroiled. Or a place like Gene and Jude's where they keep the toppings to a minimum. And I also believe that I would like the Vienna Beef Maxwell street Polish better than the regular Vienna beef frank.

Here in Jersey, we don't really have a place that makes an authentic Chicago dog. But we do have 6 or 7 other distinct styles. If you make it out this way, you have to try an Italian Hot Dog, or a German style pork based dog. Or a Deep fried ripper. Or chili sauce as a topping. I would love to hear what Chicago hot dog lovers think of these dogs.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3301
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/31 08:52:11 (permalink)
    John,

I prefer my hot dogs char broiled and simply dressed too. Until a few years ago, mustard was the only condiment I used. Today, it's mustard, relish, and onions. If I had a pickle, it was on the side and I don't eat sport peppers, tomato, or celery salt. Merkts cheddar cheese is my all time favorite topping. Poochie's in Skokie makes a char cheddar Maxwell Street Polish with well done grilled onions that is to die for.
    seadogs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/31 18:05:56 (permalink)
    Hello hotdog fans, this is my first foray into this site/ forum...got here cause I was trying to find a source for Schickhaus sp? dogs, which I really enjoyed from Quick Corner, in Plainfield NJ where I grew up...now i've live on Nantucket for 29 yrs...don't get back to central jersey, interesting place to live... but when asked by visitors and friends what we miss the most we tell'em one of the major things are the great "hole in the wall places" that invariably serve the best food...99% of restaurants here serve high end food and EXPENSIVE!...the dishes read like a book on the menues...paragraphs to describe steak and potatoes, with vegetable...another differant/fun food thing here that describes the food world here... in order to get Chinese food, we call up the Dragon Lite restaurant in Hyannis Ma. and place an order by 2pm... they take it to the airport and its flown over..we pick it up at 6 if the fog doesn't shut down the airport! it arrives warm and the passengers come off the plane salivating. some of them carrying Mcdonalds and/or Duncan Donuts...we don't have any fastfood chains here either.
    saw John Fox's "disertations" on hotdog places, (and I thought I really liked dogs, your a nut!)where you mentioned Schickhaus on the NJ parkway...can't find exact message...are they available online somewhere?...when we first came to the island from NJ I worked for customers who lived in the NJ area and they brought up some Schickaus dogs they got from the restaurant that had them...they also brought up jars of the best garlic dill pickels I've ever had from the Cupboard in Watchung NJ
    I'm a mustard and kraut guy, best way to have a dog...mustard and onions work with Stewarts Rootbeer...John saw your comments on mustard...my wife found Westbrae Natural(organic) at local health food store..I like it...does anybody think the Hienz relish dispenser bottle, like ketchup, work? they didn't test it on me!
    seadogs
    Junior Burger
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/31 18:07:18 (permalink)
    Hello hotdog fans, this is my first foray into this site/ forum...got here cause I was trying to find a source for Schickhaus sp? dogs, which I really enjoyed from Quick Corner, in Plainfield NJ where I grew up...now i've live on Nantucket for 29 yrs...don't get back to central jersey, interesting place to live... but when asked by visitors and friends what we miss the most we tell'em one of the major things are the great "hole in the wall places" that invariably serve the best food...99% of restaurants here serve high end food and EXPENSIVE!...the dishes read like a book on the menues...paragraphs to describe steak and potatoes, with vegetable...another differant/fun food thing here that describes the food world here... in order to get Chinese food, we call up the Dragon Lite restaurant in Hyannis Ma. and place an order by 2pm... they take it to the airport and its flown over..we pick it up at 6 if the fog doesn't shut down the airport! it arrives warm and the passengers come off the plane salivating. some of them carrying Mcdonalds and/or Duncan Donuts...we don't have any fastfood chains here either.
    saw John Fox's "disertations" on hotdog places, (and I thought I really liked dogs, your a nut!)where you mentioned Schickhaus on the NJ parkway...can't find exact message...are they available online somewhere?...when we first came to the island from NJ I worked for customers who lived in the NJ area and they brought up some Schickaus dogs they got from the restaurant that had them...they also brought up jars of the best garlic dill pickels I've ever had from the Cupboard in Watchung NJ
    I'm a mustard and kraut guy, best way to have a dog...mustard and onions work with Stewarts Rootbeer...John saw your comments on mustard...my wife found Westbrae Natural(organic) at local health food store..I like it...does anybody think the Hienz relish dispenser bottle, like ketchup, work? they didn't test it on me!
    well now that I done this, I'm getting hungary! I hope I know how to get tyhis in the system.
    John Fox
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/31 18:30:07 (permalink)
    Seadogs,

Schickhaus franks are made primarily for the New Jersey market under a private label arrangement by Grote and Weigel of Connecticut. I would contact the company (groteandweigel.com) and request that they ship you some. Their regular Grote and Weigel griddle franks are the exact same recipe as the Schickhaus, but come 6 to a lb rather than 4 like the Schickhaus. They will ship these to you, but I believe that you must order a minimum of 5 lbs. There are many hot dog restaurants in the Plainfield area that use this dog. Contact the company, they may have a distributor near you. I know that they are trying to get into Florida. I like this dog, but Thumann's is my favorite in this style (German style beef and pork). I've sampled them side by side. Thumann's is also expanding their distribution area. Look around in the deli section of gourmet stores and supermarkets.
    takats
    Junior Burger
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/05/31 22:12:53 (permalink)
    As John Fox notes, the natural casing is essential. I also like a dog with meats other than beef (pork, veal). I wonder where the idea of all-beef hot dogs came from? Anyway, nothing is more disheartening than the Ballpark/Oscar Mayer style rubber dogs piled up in the average supermarket's "meat" case.

Back to the list:
    Walter's in Mamaroneck has a wonderful atmosphere, but their dogs are not particularly noteworthy. They also are not natural casing (or if they are, they certainly had no "snap"). For great dogs in Ann Arbor, try Red Hot Lovers. They use Vienna franks (all-beef, but I'll allow it) and make some delightful combos (like the reuben dog). They also have solved the cheese fry conundrum: how to make cheese fries with real cheese, but not soggify them? Microwave a little bowl of cheese and then dump it on the crispy fries. Excellent...
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/06/01 13:02:13 (permalink)
    I will eat any kind...but prefer New England style rolls. They're not available here in the Sunny South...and of course I gladly left the snow behind, but I still want my toast buns!

AND...Jack and Jill hot dogs in Charlottesville VA rule!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4013
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/06/01 14:04:39 (permalink)
    It's been way too long-------this weekend I'm going to PINK'S!!!!
    The place is definitely an experience---and you never know who you'll see with chili dripping down their chin there.....
    BTW....they also make a really good burger.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/06/01 16:03:38 (permalink)
    As it happens, the best hot dogs in North America can be found in Canada, on any street corner in downtown Toronto. These are foot-long, thick all-beef dogs (usually from the local deli Shopsy's), steamed and then slashed with a lame and char-grilled upon order, placed on a distinctive bright-yellow soft bun and topped with your choice of anywhere up to a dozen different toppings ranging from piccalilli relish (no, it's not just a Chicago thing) and either raw or grilled onions to a sweet corn relish or mixed hot pickled veggies. Average total price: CDN$2, or about $1.35 in US money.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/06/01 16:45:13 (permalink)
    I'm no hot dog expert despite growing up in Chicago, but I don't think you can go wrong grilling your own Kosher dog on the backyard grill. Had one that way last night and it was wonderful.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/06/01 18:25:44 (permalink)
    Surpringly to me, since I'm not especially a hot dog fan, I've eaten at 3 of the 10 places on the list (Ted's, Flo's and Pink's), and am scheduled to visit a fourth this summer(Walter's) with a friend who lives nearby.

I grew up near Ted's, so am partial to it. I like the char-broiled taste very much, and it's probably the only hot dog I've ever really looked forward to. I loved the environment at Flo's, but the hot dog (and special sauce) didn't do it for me. But, again, the environment of the place made the visit well worth it (especially when I went to the nearby donut shop for dessert). And I liked Pink's well enough.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/06/01 19:13:25 (permalink)
    It's funny how subjective these lists are. I loved Flo's, Rutt's and Ted's, but didn't like Pink's all that much---that was ten years ago---Roadfood disappointments are rare and that was one of 'em. Also, I have to give props to the unsung hots found in a Nick Tahou Garbage Plate---they certainly would make my Top Ten!!!

Thanks John for your top ten. Sounds like it's time for another Jersey Dog trip!!!
    seadogs
    Junior Burger
    RE: America's Best Hot Dogs 2004/06/03 19:41:29 (permalink)
    Hey roadfood fans, I posted a message and got alot of responses from it I think, but I'm having trouble getting into the messages...my ignorance with this medium...I've seen the reply from John Fox but for some reason, I can't bring up the others...what do I need to do?...seadogs
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1