Americas Top Dog - Wall St. Journal

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2327
RE: Americas Top Dog - Wall St. Journal 2008/05/03 06:34:41 (permalink)
Sorry, the picture didn't get included. Check here, http://www.seriouseats.com/eating_out/2008/05/snapshots-from-chile-hot-dogs-and-sandwiches.html

scroll down until you come to the completo.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Americas Top Dog - Wall St. Journal 2008/05/03 09:25:11 (permalink)
While new entrepreneurs may experiment with multifarious toppings, the Perro Caliente is a long established food entity in Latin American communities, both here and abroad.

In this link, a food journalist examines a few examples in NYC. The article was later included in a NY Post story that surveyed such hot dogs.

What surprises me is that there are no places in New Jersey that prepare the Latin American take on the hot dog.

While there are various different combinations, the one ingredient usually common to all the Latin American hot dogs is a bottom layer of crushed potato chips.

http://www.project-me.com/chilean/index.html

The Bear
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Americas Top Dog - Wall St. Journal 2008/05/03 09:32:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

While there are various different combinations, the one ingredient usually common to all the Latin American hot dogs is a bottom layer of crushed potato chips.

http://www.project-me.com/chilean/index.html

The Bear

My Chilean cleaning lady says that Chilean hot dogs do not have potato chips on them. Maybe it's a New York City thing.
John Fox
RE: Americas Top Dog - Wall St. Journal 2008/05/07 06:36:45 (permalink)
The madness continues.

http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/46632/

Kimchee, deep fried mayo, hot dog bun crumbs, tomato molasses, freeze dried onions, shredded romaine.

Heathens! If this isn't a true sign that we're approaching the Apocalypse, I don't know what is. Historians will tell you that the fall of Rome came about when they started messing with the hot dogs.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Americas Top Dog - Wall St. Journal 2008/05/07 08:43:54 (permalink)
Can you imagine what are they saying over at Hirum's or at Rutt's Hut. I don't want to offend anyone's sexuality here, but they've got to be questioning the "manliness" of these new designer salad dogs in Fort Lee and Clifton, NJ. I got to believe they are calling them "Alternative Lifestyle Hot Dogs" or something to that effect...maybe calling them something shorter? Use your imagination.

John, "King of Hot Dogs" I think you are on to something here. It is the beginning of the end. Fortunately, I'm already old so I am not going to worry about it. But, yes, it's coming.
John Fox
RE: Americas Top Dog - Wall St. Journal 2008/05/07 09:43:22 (permalink)
Well said Baah Ben. Hot dogs are meant to be a simple unpretentious food enjoyed plain or with a minimum of toppings that enhance, rather than detract from the flavor of the actual frankfurter. Not to be buried underneath a mound of stuff that should be off to the side or avoided completely. I would hesitate to even order a hot dog with mustard from one of these trendy "designer" hot dog bistros for fear of cross contamination from the ungodly crap that they defile the sacred hot dog with. And I though ketchup was bad enough. I wonder how many of these chef designed inventions are the result of someone's desire to feed their ego. Well, I'm not impressed. Keep it simple, stupid!

Not that they would have succumbed to this trendy insanity, but I'm glad in a way that Syd's vanished before a new owner had a chance to sully it's memory with designer crap. Now there was a hot dog that was resplendant in its simplicity. A high quality natural casing frank prepared well and served hot with a good simple sturdy bun. It was delivered to you plain. There was mustard on the table for you to apply. You had to request sauerkraut, relish, or chili. That was it. Most enjoyed it with just mustard, or mustard and kraut. They didn't need anything else to build a great reputation, increase business, or maintain their popularity. They didn't even need to advertise.

Besides all the newfangled toppings that these places keep adding in an attempt to appear creative, they are messing with the underlying dog as well. A hot dog is meant to be made of meat. A mixture of beef and pork, beef, pork and veal, or all beef. Or even buffalo. But not poultry. Or some cheap substitutes like soy and grains. Why not eat cardboard or plastic?

I think you have it pegged. "Alternative Lifestyle Hot Dogs" perfectly describes these creations.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: Americas Top Dog - Wall St. Journal 2008/05/07 11:14:11 (permalink)
The WD-50 restaurant is well known for these unusual food pairings. But why do this when Katz's Deli is only 5 short blocks away?
JakerDog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Americas Top Dog - Wall St. Journal 2008/05/09 08:44:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

For my taste, I want a nice boiled steamed,...

I stopped reading there. I cannot stand boiled or steamed hotdogs. The method just steals away any flavor in the hotdog. Flat grill is my favorite method, but on the summer, I often enjoy charcoal grilled hotdogs, too.

I agree. Once I hear boiled is the preferred method, everything after that statement comes into question.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
RE: Americas Top Dog - Wall St. Journal 2008/05/10 01:45:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

Well said Baah Ben. Hot dogs are meant to be a simple unpretentious food enjoyed plain or with a minimum of toppings that enhance, rather than detract from the flavor of the actual frankfurter. Not to be buried underneath a mound of stuff that should be off to the side or avoided completely. I would hesitate to even order a hot dog with mustard from one of these trendy "designer" hot dog bistros for fear of cross contamination from the ungodly crap that they defile the sacred hot dog with. And I though ketchup was bad enough. I wonder how many of these chef designed inventions are the result of someone's desire to feed their ego. Well, I'm not impressed. Keep it simple, stupid!

Not that they would have succumbed to this trendy insanity, but I'm glad in a way that Syd's vanished before a new owner had a chance to sully it's memory with designer crap. Now there was a hot dog that was resplendant in its simplicity. A high quality natural casing frank prepared well and served hot with a good simple sturdy bun. It was delivered to you plain. There was mustard on the table for you to apply. You had to request sauerkraut, relish, or chili. That was it. Most enjoyed it with just mustard, or mustard and kraut. They didn't need anything else to build a great reputation, increase business, or maintain their popularity. They didn't even need to advertise.

Besides all the newfangled toppings that these places keep adding in an attempt to appear creative, they are messing with the underlying dog as well. A hot dog is meant to be made of meat. A mixture of beef and pork, beef, pork and veal, or all beef. Or even buffalo. But not poultry. Or some cheap substitutes like soy and grains. Why not eat cardboard or plastic?

I think you have it pegged. "Alternative Lifestyle Hot Dogs" perfectly describes these creations.
I could not agree more - this sounds like the sermons I give to my friends here in Ohio when they want to top their pizzas with a bunch of crap - good dough, cheese and tomato sauce and some nice olive oil and oregano and basil is all a great pizza needs.
Schmelly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Americas Top Dog - Wall St. Journal 2011/08/30 16:12:05 (permalink)
Does anyone know what dogs are used by "Boston Speed" ?

I think I have conflicting information....

Pearl dogs ?  or are they Grote & Weigel ?
post edited by Schmelly - 2011/08/30 16:13:10
John Fox
RE: Americas Top Dog - Wall St. Journal 2011/08/30 18:15:02 (permalink)
For years Boston Speed used Pearl's. Since the new owners took over a few years ago, they have been using a beef frank from Grote & Weigel.
Schmelly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Americas Top Dog - Wall St. Journal 2011/08/31 01:17:20 (permalink)
John Fox

For years Boston Speed used Pearl's. Since the new owners took over a few years ago, they have been using a beef frank from Grote & Weigel.

John, thanks for that info
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10101
RE: Americas Top Dog - Wall St. Journal 2011/08/31 03:47:13 (permalink)
signman
I'd never heard of Speed's, but it looks good. However, in reading the actual article, it says the price of a Speed's dog is $7. Can that possibly be right? Why?

It's been written up and featured on here several times and has been given good reviews.
I get a kick out of people who say "I've never heard of"----- or the 18 year old who says " I've never seen anything like that in my whole life" Like it never existed because you never knew about it.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1