Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burgh and a slice of Jersey

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6454
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2011/08/22 17:02:42 (permalink)
WJ
The more I think about those chicken and waffles.......
The more I think it is on my dinner menu for the evening. 
I think I have some smoked chicken or turkey in the freezer and bisquick in the cupboard

YUP CHICKEN & WAFFLES (Amish Style) for dinner tonight
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7905
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2011/08/22 20:31:25 (permalink)

Lee

Although an Italian Hero Roll may be heresy to Italian Dog purists- that's how I was introduced to it- I can assure you the roll (or whatever it's called) at Jimmy Buff's was fresh- however between the potatoes and the bread- I thought it masked the flavor of everything else- and I even ordered a double dog 

brookquarry

I deliberately hit those two places ( plus Rissers) because they offered those unique specialties which seem so hard to find- although the Oregon Dairy Restaurant does have chicken and waffles on their daily menu. Another place I would have loved to hav checked out was the Family Cupboard, also in Lititz- Stuffed Pigs Stomach on Thursdays!- unfortunately the timing just didn't work 

Cajun King- glad I could inspire

Everyone else- thanks for your comments- 

Now I'm waiting for Buffetbuster and his Mississippi addendum from this weekend.

BTW- my last big trip of the year is 10 days away- another week of roadfood and yes, this will be a baseball trip -
post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/08/22 20:33:14
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2011/08/22 20:40:19 (permalink)
WJ, I now order a single Italian Dog, which is placed on a 1/4 pizza bread.  I think the 1/4 bread, which hold less potato, lets the dog shine through.

Thanks for the great trip report.  Where you heading next?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2011/08/22 20:51:28 (permalink)
joerogo

WJ, I now order a single Italian Dog, which is placed on a 1/4 pizza bread.  I think the 1/4 bread, which hold less potato, lets the dog shine through.

joerogo

That makes more sense-

Where am I going???

You'llhave to wait for the next trip report to find out!!  
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2011/08/23 12:57:23 (permalink)
You aren't kidding, that was quite a trip--great photographs!  You know, I don't know that the region matters for this at all, but I really don't order lima beans out of the South.  I just like the way we make 'em around here.
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2414
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2011/08/23 14:50:42 (permalink)
CajunKing

The pickled beets and eggs are a Penn Dutch / Amish / Mennonite of that area thing. 

I remember growing up and seeing jars upon jars of them in the fridge of Grandma's house. Grandpa would eat several every afternoon when he got home from work, before he took his nap laying on the floor in front of the box fan in the living room.

That's exactly how I make my pickled eggs, the way my Mom makes them, the way my Grandmother made them.  All from W.Va. I'll eat them everyday for a week then I have to take a break.  The beets go to the trash, Mom eats hers.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2011/08/23 15:24:57 (permalink)
A post-Easter tradition in our family. The leftover Easter Eggs ended up as Pickled Eggs. Canned Beets & juice, a little vinegar and a little sugar. Sometimes a little pickling spice too. Made them other times of the year too.
Chicken & Waffles Dutch style was all I knew there was until I started traveling to the South 35 years later. Didn't know there was another way to do it. 
post edited by Foodbme - 2011/08/23 15:29:33
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6454
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2011/08/23 16:25:48 (permalink)
wanderingjew

joerogo

joerogo

That makes more sense-

Where am I going???

You'llhave to wait for the next trip report to find out!!  

I know, but I aint telling!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2011/08/24 22:14:33 (permalink)
This is the first day i've seen your report.As always, I completely enjoyed your photos and food  commentaries and your adventurous nature in  food choices. A few random thoughts:

There is an excellent hungarian restaurant called Novack's in the unlikely town of Albany , oregon started by a family that fled hungary after the 56 revolt. I've eaten there with roadfooder Ed sails and totally enjoyed it.
    Nitro, West Virginia is the hometown of Milwaukee Braves great Lew Burdette
      The Chips family loved our visit toPittsburgh  and wished we had known roadfoders back then. We really loved the Warhol museum, located next to the stadia.
 I so love the way you are able to find regional specialties. Thanks for taking me along a wonderful ride.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2011/08/25 08:18:12 (permalink)
Nancy

That's why I decided to get the Lima's. I figured I was in the South and how could I go wrong? Well, I did, I was disappointed.

Cajun King

Don't let the cat chicken out of the bag

Mr. Chips

I remember you mentioning Novack's to be previously. If it's good as Jocza's Corner then I can see why. 

Besides Diehl's it's good to know that Nitro is famous for other reasons, especially Lew Burette.
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2457
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2011/08/25 08:57:03 (permalink)
mr chips

This is the first day i've seen your report.As always, I completely enjoyed your photos and food  commentaries and your adventurous nature in  food choices. A few random thoughts:

There is an excellent hungarian restaurant called Novack's in the unlikely town of Albany , oregon started by a family that fled hungary after the 56 revolt. I've eaten there with roadfooder Ed sails and totally enjoyed it.
   Nitro, West Virginia is the hometown of Milwaukee Braves great Lew Burdette
     The Chips family loved our visit toPittsburgh  and wished we had known roadfoders back then. We really loved the Warhol museum, located next to the stadia.
I so love the way you are able to find regional specialties. Thanks for taking me along a wonderful ride.

Mr Chips, thanks for the info you posted on Novack's Hungarian Restaurant, I will make that a stop on our next trip to Portland or the Coast. I still need to make it over to Kenny and Zuke's Deli for some Pastrami. We do have a need for more of these kinds of Restaurants and Deli's in the Pacific Northwest..................Thanks again.....pnwc

WJ, Thanks for the trip through Europe without leaving the USA. I guess it goes to show you the Emmigrants didn't venture all that far after arriving at Ellis Island.................
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2012/03/22 08:35:45 (permalink)
Hey Dale, I stopped at Risser's yesterday.  The soups were very good, and yes they had chicken corn.  I ordered the smothered sirloin patty...it was horrible.  Did the place smell funky when you were there? 

How did you miss this place when you were in the area?

post edited by joerogo - 2012/03/22 08:39:46
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2012/03/22 09:05:38 (permalink)
joerogo

Hey Dale, I stopped at Risser's yesterday.  The soups were very good, and yes they had chicken corn.  I ordered the smothered sirloin patty...it was horrible.  Did the place smell funky when you were there? 

How did you miss this place when you were in the area?

Joe,

No discernable odor if I recall.  Did you eat in the diner or the dining room? I ate in the dining room.
I wouldn't order something non Penn Dutch in a Penn Dutch restaurant- it's asking for trouble
Ask anyone (especially TTM) when I have tunnel vision and want to check out one place and one place only, everything else in my surroundings seems to dissappear- so the sign may have been completely in front of me and I just didn't notice it.  Screaming Chicken pointed out something similar  in a photo I took in Independence MO     there was a bbq joint - I honestly didn't even notice it when I took the photo
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2012/03/23 03:35:39 (permalink)
Joe,
I'm not sure if BuffetBuster's radar range can pick up that sign so you better forward it to him.
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 461
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2012/03/23 04:57:53 (permalink)
I love your reviews.....Coming out to the west coast in the near future?
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2012/03/23 12:28:47 (permalink)
Hey Dale,  The only PA Dutch items(2) were on the specials menu.  One was sausage and I forgot the other one.  No chicken pot pie either  At least I stayed away from their Hi-Talian Specialities
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Amish & Appalachian Adventures with a bit of da' Burg and a slice of Jersey 2012/03/23 18:07:03 (permalink)
joerogo

Hey Dale,  The only PA Dutch items(2) were on the specials menu.  One was sausage and I forgot the other one.  No chicken pot pie either  At least I stayed away from their Hi-Talian Specialities

If the other special was Pig Stomach and you turned it down, then I will not forgive you
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1