The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Amish food versus "Pennsylvania Dutch". Any Differences?

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 510
Amish food versus "Pennsylvania Dutch". Any Differences? Tue, 07/31/12 5:57 PM (permalink)

Janet and I were recently in Lancaster County, PA, and noticed an almost free interchange of the terms "Amish" and "Pennsylvania Dutch".   We have also noticed it here on the RoadFood forums.  

Questions:  Is there no difference in the food, or are the two terms being (mis)used interchangably? 

From what I understand, the term Pennsylvania Dutch actually comes from Pennsylvania DEUTCH, meaning Pennsylvania German.  It has nothing to do with the "Dutch" at all.    So I guess my earlier question can be modified to asking if there is any difference between Amish food and Pennsylvania Deutch food (Pennsylvania  German food)?   

Further compliating the situation, the Amish are descended from Swiss Anabaptists, who were German speaking, but not Germans, per se. 

Anyway, history lesson aside, are Amish food and what is called "Pennsylvania Dutch" food two separate and distinct food types, ... or are they the same food? 

Thanks!

Glenn

<message edited by Glenn1234 on Tue, 07/31/12 6:02 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
    Re:Amish food versus "Pennsylvania Dutch". Any Differences? Wed, 08/1/12 5:03 AM (permalink)
    According to:
    http://www.padutchcountry.com/travel-tools/faq/frequently-asked-questions.asp
    Amish & PA Dutch foods are the same.

brookquarry

• Total Posts: 277
      Re:Amish food versus "Pennsylvania Dutch". Any Differences? Wed, 08/1/12 6:06 AM (permalink)
      Absolutely the same. The food the Amish serve is the same food all Pennsylvania Dutch used to serve a couple of generations ago. The differerance is that like other cultures we "fancy" 'Pennsylvania Dutch are abandoning our food traditions while the Amish are not.
      There are some regional differances. My mom who grew up in the northern reaches of the Pennsylvania Dutch Country makes ham pot pie not chicken pot pie. In Berks County(Reading area) you will see Potato filling, which is much less common in Lancaster County. But basically the same cuisine.
      <message edited by brookquarry on Wed, 08/1/12 6:09 AM>

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
        Re:Amish food versus "Pennsylvania Dutch". Any Differences? Wed, 08/1/12 7:47 AM (permalink)
        FYI, there are more Amish in Holmes County, OH ( just south of Canton) than anywhere else.  There are actually quite a few now near Hopkinsville, KY and western TN as well as eastern IN ( Berne and Geneva area).

brookquarry

Re:Amish food versus "Pennsylvania Dutch". Any Differences? Wed, 08/1/12 8:45 AM (permalink)
          As the Amish population grows(doubling every 20 years0)and farmland becomes scarce, the Amish form new settlements. Upstate New York has also been a popular destination in recent decades.
          Of course these new areas lack the tourist infrastructure of the more established areass.
           I would like to visit Holmes County which I understand is more rural and less commercialized than Lancaster County. It would be interesting to see if the Cuisine is the same (The Holmes county Amish  settlements originated from 19th century immigration rather than the Lancaster county settlement which dates from the 1700's)
          <message edited by brookquarry on Wed, 08/1/12 8:46 AM>

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 510
            Re:Amish food versus "Pennsylvania Dutch". Any Differences? Wed, 08/1/12 3:05 PM (permalink)

Thanks for the replies!

Glenn

brookquarry

Re:Amish food versus "Pennsylvania Dutch". Any Differences? Wed, 08/1/12 3:28 PM (permalink)
              Out of curiosity, I just checked the menus of two Holmes County Ohio restauants boasting"Amish Cooks' : the Amish Door and Der Dutchman.
              Neither one served any of the common Pa Dutch menu items: no chicken pot Pie, no schnitz and knepp, no Pork and sauerkraut, no lettuce with hot bacon dressing, no shoofly pie.
              The menu was primarily just standard homestyle cooking; Broasted chicken, slow cooked roast beef ,country ham etc.
              The only unusual 'amish item (aside from apple dumplings which I don't think of as uniquely Amish )was Date Nut pudding, which both restaurants served and billed as 'amish".
              I have never seen this served in Lancaster County-not in any restaurant or by  my parents Pa Dutch friends.
              So, not only is Pa Amish cuisine the same as Pa Dutch cuisine, but it is completely differant from Holmes CountyOhio Amish cuisine
              <message edited by brookquarry on Wed, 08/1/12 3:30 PM>

rebeltruce

• Total Posts: 698
                Re:Amish food versus "Pennsylvania Dutch". Any Differences? Wed, 08/1/12 7:30 PM (permalink)
                100% the same.....I'm from Central Pa......and grew up eating and enjoying both Amish and Pa Dutch cooking.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                  Re:Amish food versus "Pennsylvania Dutch". Any Differences? Thu, 08/2/12 1:08 AM (permalink)
                  brookquarry

Out of curiosity, I just checked the menus of two Holmes County Ohio restauants boasting"Amish Cooks' : the Amish Door and Der Dutchman.
                  Neither one served any of the common Pa Dutch menu items: no chicken pot Pie, no schnitz and knepp, no Pork and sauerkraut, no lettuce with hot bacon dressing, no shoofly pie.
                  The menu was primarily just standard homestyle cooking; Broasted chicken, slow cooked roast beef ,country ham etc.
                  The only unusual 'amish item (aside from apple dumplings which I don't think of as uniquely Amish )was Date Nut pudding, which both restaurants served and billed as 'amish".
                  I have never seen this served in Lancaster County-not in any restaurant or by  my parents Pa Dutch friends.
                  So, not only is Pa Amish cuisine the same as Pa Dutch cuisine, but it is completely differant from Holmes CountyOhio Amish cuisine

You need to go to a house with plain white sheets on the windows, knock on the door and ask if you can stay for dinner!

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
                    Re:Amish food versus "Pennsylvania Dutch". Any Differences? Thu, 08/2/12 8:45 AM (permalink)
                    I've always taken Amish to mean Amish and PA Dutch to mean Amish and all other similar sects such as the Mennonites. I'm not familiar with any cooking that is solely the style of any one sect, but then again, I'm from Long Island.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                      Re:Amish food versus "Pennsylvania Dutch". Any Differences? Thu, 08/2/12 9:22 AM (permalink)
                      We have Amish foods at most of the local Farmers Markets. I bought a little pie once in Jersey City and was too distracted by the thought of where the horse ( I wanted to say hi) was parked...I didn't notice what flavor it was...and it was wonderful and seemed unique. No horse either.
                      <message edited by CCinNJ on Thu, 08/2/12 9:23 AM>

brookquarry

Re:Amish food versus "Pennsylvania Dutch". Any Differences? Thu, 08/2/12 12:30 PM (permalink)
                        Kozel you are right, but you are not being inclusive enough. Pa Dutch means ALL the germans who settled in South Central Pa in the 1700's including the Lutherans(my family background) and the German Reformed (
                        now part of the United Church of Christ, and my wifes religious background) The food was the same for all.
                        CC I assume you are kidding about the horse. The vendors undoubtably arrived via Amish taxi (drivers licensed by the Public Untility Commision to haul passengers).

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
                          Re:Amish food versus "Pennsylvania Dutch". Any Differences? Thu, 08/2/12 1:59 PM (permalink)
                          brookquarry

Kozel you are right, but you are not being inclusive enough. Pa Dutch means ALL the germans who settled in South Central Pa in the 1700's including the Lutherans(my family background) and the German Reformed (
                          now part of the United Church of Christ, and my wifes religious background) The food was the same for all.

Not to be argumentative but it was meant as a general statement and I used the phrase 'such as'. I would say you are right and it is not solely restricted to the Anabaptists.   

Hey, Bangor is a small town; would you know a couple named Ginny & Walter?

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                            Re:Amish food versus "Pennsylvania Dutch". Any Differences? Thu, 08/2/12 2:47 PM (permalink)
                            I was kidding. The Amish lady at the market had a great sense of humor about it.

I have to go back for another pie. It was excellent...and unique.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com