An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic)

Author
Laserwolf
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
2008/02/24 12:47:22 (permalink)

An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic)

Last year on St. Patrick's day I tried my hand at an Irish Breakfast. Unfortunately it didn't work out too well. I could not get ahold of the traditional meats here in Oklahoma and instead of Irish Back Bacon I just used some thick regular bacon. I also worked with canned mushrooms, tomatoes, and eggs. The one item I was able to pull off well was Irish Soda Bread, which was not only extremely easy to make, but tasted great. Unfortunately I am very bad at cooking eggs or bacon and ended up burning both beyond repair. The Mushrooms tasted poor and the tomatoes were more stewed than fried. All in all I failed Miserably. I did pull off a decent Corned Beef recipe for dinner though.

This year I want to give it another go, and I plan to be ready. I am intending to order some black pudding, Irish Back Bacon, and White Pudding...as well as some Ginger Beer, from a British Imports Website. I will be using fresh(as fresh as I can get) mushrooms and plan to be more careful with the eggs and bacon. My reasons for posting all this here are some possible tips for the mushrooms and tomatoes. As in, what are the best type of mushrooms to use and should I use Roma Tomatoes or the average variety? Also any tips on "frying" these two items would be great as well. The other reason is just to provide the below links to the recipes I have gathered and the British Imports Website I plan to use. You'll find the Irish Breakfast Food items under "Food" then "Perishables" at the top. Also, if it is possible to name links in these forums please let me know how.

http://www.britishdelights.com/default.asp
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Irish-Breakfast/Detail.aspx
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Irresistible-Irish-Soda-Bread/Detail.aspx
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Corned-Beef-and-Cabbage-3/Detail.aspx

20 Replies Related Threads

shortchef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2008/02/24 19:25:44 (permalink)
    Y'know, I would be happy with just a good soda bread, with sweet butter. Glad you mentioned it, haven't made it for a long time.
    MissKitty
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2008/02/24 19:39:24 (permalink)
    Canned mushrooms are just nasty =/ you are better off with fresh, glad you're going to do that this time :) Depends what kind you like - I use chestnut mushrooms, organic for preference as they have more flavour. I cook as is or at the most slice in half, mushrooms can reduce down a lot when they cook. Some people like to use the big open gilled field mushrooms ( bit like portabella but a little smaller ) they take longer to cook than the others and are best grilled ( broiled ) or cooked in the oven with a little butter - but they have a good rich flavour. If frying then use butter or bacon fat and not too high a heat.

Use the nicest, tastiest ripest fresh tomatoes you can lay your hands on. Fried is fine but I do find that again, grilling or cooking in the oven allows for more control in cooking and means you do not overcrowd the pan(s). As for the eggs, again, real butter, not too much of it, and not too high a heat or else you get that horrible tough carpet backing underside and frizzled brown lace at the side Why not pratice your egg cooking skills before the big day ? thne hopefully it will be less stressful for you when you are trying to time the cooking of several different items at once.

mmm soda bread - yummy !
    tmizerek
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2008/02/24 20:03:42 (permalink)
    A couple of years ago we took a tour of Ireland. It called for a full Irish breakfast for 6 days. Didn't take long to get tired of it.
    Consisted of bacon, sausage, Heinz beans, fried egg, fried tomato, and white toast.
    We even left the tour area but found the same thing in the restaurants.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2008/02/24 20:31:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Laserwolf

Laserwolf,
    This stuff looks a mighty lot like livermush to me. -- What with all the Germans that settled Texas, I'd think you might be able to find some sort of sausage product similar in Oklahoma (unless you live in a town so small that it makes Foyil look exciting)... you might even luck up on a butcher shop that makes their own, or else one that can come close for you.
    Good luck. And, as I say, tilting over, "Slainte!"
    Sure Am Being Gorrah, Ort. Carlton in Loveable Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. Don't forget the draught Guinness!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2008/02/24 22:06:54 (permalink)
    We ate 15 Irish breakfasts in Ireland, and even with all the subtle variations from one B&B to the next, never once did mushrooms appear on the plate, so I'm not sure what you're going to use them for. As for the tomatoes, the best thing to do is to keep it simple. Most places used a smallish tomato, about an inch and a half in diameter, sliced in half and then lightly griddled on the cut side. Some left it on the griddle long enough to brown the edges a bit, others just warmed the tomato ever so slightly.

I admire the lengths to which you are going for authenticity, but if cost is ever an issue, Canadian bacon, although not exactly like Irish bacon, is a suitable substitute and more readily available. The black and white puddings we were served were cut into medallions about a half inch thick and griddled. A standard portion seemed to be two medallions of each variety. While I did eat the stuff, and even enjoyed it, I think any more of it would have been too much.

We're in full agreement on the soda bread. My Irish colleen of a wife makes a fine version which we enjoy every St. Pat's day and for how ever long it lasts beyond that. Soda bread is quite tasty as a base for corned beef sandwiches too. I actually prefer a soda bread made with currants for that purpose. The sweetness of the currants is a perfect compliment to the salty corned beef and tangy mustard.

Of course if you want real authenticity in your Irish breakfast, skip the soda bread and try to find an Irish brown bread that's been baked in a peat fire. OMG, that is the food of the gods brother! The B&B host would serve a basket of toasted white bread and slices of brown bread. By day three of the trip we were telling them to just bring the brown bread cause the white toast would go to waste.

Other variations on breakfast included, baked beans and potato pancakes. Also available were several dry cereals, and the best meusli I have ever tasted, nothing like what we get over here. There was also fresh fruit, juice, numerous varieties of yogurt, coffee and tea.

Good luck with you're St. Pat's day festivities. Sounds like you've got all the ingredients you'll need.

Buddy

P.S. A quick tip on cooking the Irish bacon: It is so lean you will need to add some oil to the pan before throwing the bacon in, otherwise it will stick to the pan. I speak from painful and expensive experience.
    Laserwolf
    Junior Burger
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2008/02/25 09:18:51 (permalink)
    I appreciate all the tips. I think I have a much better idea on how to go about it. I do great with casserole recipes or any where you just mix all the ingredients together and stick them in an oven, but I think all this will work out pretty well. I will check into finding black pudding in my local area before placing my order however. When trying blood sausage for the first time it is probably best to go as fresh as possible.
    Laserwolf
    Junior Burger
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2008/03/16 22:05:36 (permalink)
    Just made this an hour ago with the exact items pictured above. I couldn't figure how to turn off the flash before the battery on the camera died, sorry.

Oh, and tomorrow I should have pictures of the below recipes:
    http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001414irish_beef_stew.php
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Irish-Potato-Farls/Detail.aspx
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Irish-Champ/Detail.aspx
    http://www.grouprecipes.com/15993/strawberry-rhubarb-irish-crumble-with-irish-whiskey-butter.html
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2008/03/16 22:25:36 (permalink)
    Not exactly the way I remember it, but I sure wouldn't turn down that breakfast if you put it in front of me. Beautiful work Laserwolf! I look forward to seeing the rest of the pix.

Buddy
    pamelakrest
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 362
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2008/03/17 17:53:46 (permalink)
    Looks YUMMY !! I am all for tomatoes with eggs ! I think it looks fanfreakintastic.
    Pamela
    Laserwolf
    Junior Burger
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2008/03/17 22:35:57 (permalink)
    As Promised:

I found that I don't care for Guinness. I am not much of a beer drinker anyway, but this stuff is way too bitter for me. Great in the Stew though. I also gave up on the farls. I was getting a little tired of potatoes toward the end.

The Dessert came out great. The Whiskey/Butter Cream topping is very unique and the whole dessert was just the right balance between sweet and sour. Unfortunately the topping kind of sank to the bottom before cooking, but I always stir my cobblers up anyway.

Mike_NZ
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2009/01/28 02:38:29 (permalink)
    Mmm,
    I love black and white puddings.
    Food of the gods.
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1621
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2009/01/28 10:08:40 (permalink)
    I adore British/Irish bacon.  The sausages are ok, but I still prefer my own homemade (US style).  There's a guy in Lumberton NC (Williams) that makes both great bacon and bangers. They have mail-order. Do a search
    caramcfadden
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2009/01/28 23:32:58 (permalink)
    im from the north-west of ireland, lived there all my life but moved to new york a few months ago cos iv always wanted to see america...in my opinion the only really proper irish breakfast iv had is the one mum makes but you can find wile nice ones in some out-of-the-way places! long as you dont mind too much about your cholesterol...;)

and on the guinness, nothin will ever compare to the stuff you get on draught over there-in my opinion it just cant be bottled!!
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2009/01/29 06:55:45 (permalink)
    Hmmmmm...after seeing exactly how Irish Bacon looks I think I'll try and cure some of my own. Looks like it is a small pork loin....can anyone tell me if it is smoked or not?

Does it taste sweet or does it seem to be just a salt cure? Any other flavors....bay, allspice, or anything like that.

Me thinks it's time to do a bit of research, stay tuned.....
    kirstine
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 266
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2009/01/29 07:33:35 (permalink)
    Irish bacon tends to be made from the back meat and is usually called back bacon.  It seems similar to Canadian bacon to be honest as both seem to have equal thickness and are salt cured. There is usually a layer of fat around the bacon and we tend to not cook it until it's crispy.  Bacon is usually sold here as either smoked or unsmoked.  There's a few other varities sold like maple cured, Tender cure and bacon rashers which are really thick pieces of bacon.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2009/01/29 14:21:15 (permalink)
    caramcfadden, whereabouts in Ireland are you from?  Mrs. Roadhouse and I toured the west coast from the Mullet Peninsula down to the Ring of Kerry.  Were we in your neck of the woods?

Great Irish breakfasts at every B&B.  Lasted us until suppertime when we would usually just split an entree, we were still so full from the morning repast.

Buddy
    GNeedles59
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2009/01/29 16:29:36 (permalink)
    I was fortunate enough to travel to Ireland and experience a true Irish breakfast, truly a memorable experience.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5046
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2009/01/29 17:02:22 (permalink)
    Laserwolf

Just made this an hour ago with the exact items pictured above. I couldn't figure how to turn off the flash before the battery on the camera died, sorry.

Oh, and tomorrow I should have pictures of the below recipes:
    http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001414irish_beef_stew.php
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Irish-Potato-Farls/Detail.aspx
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Irish-Champ/Detail.aspx
    http://www.grouprecipes.com/15993/strawberry-rhubarb-irish-crumble-with-irish-whiskey-butter.html

That looks, "bloody" good! 
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5046
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2009/01/29 17:06:57 (permalink)
    The ex Mrs. Twinwillow and I spent 2 weeks driving all around Ireland about 12 years ago. We loved it! The food and the gentle and welcoming nature of the Irish people is amazing. And, best of all, they love Americans!
    bosco lover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: An Irish Breakfast(Now with Pic) 2009/01/31 19:32:13 (permalink)
    i was in ireland  10 years ago and loved the breakfasts. im not sure if i remember having the mushrooms there or if that is more of an english thing, but definitely the tomato and wonderful bacon/sausages. my favorite was the brown bread, they called it granary bread and i wish i could find it over here. it was heaven
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1