An accidental roadtrip

Author
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2613
2011/07/16 20:26:13 (permalink)

An accidental roadtrip

I flew home to Wisconsin from Arizona last night, arriving after midnight.  Past experience has shown that I am completely worthless the next day, so we try to plan some activity.  This was especially true this morning after my flight attendant gave me a bucket of Scotch for my after dinner drink.

The plan today was to drive North of Milwaukee to buy cheese at the Cedar Valley Cheese Store and brats at Miesfeld's Meat Market.  Cedar Valley is our new favorite for string cheese after Ann & Bob Peeples told us about the place.  The string cheese is all natural & unpasteurized, it has a chewy & stringy texture and is very flavorful.  It is nothing like the string cheese sold pre-wrapped in vacuum sealed plastic that is so common.  Stop one was uneventful, we ended up with a load of cheese and no photos. This was supposed be a shopping trip, not a Roadfood roadtrip.

After buying our cheese, we decided to find a diner for lunch. Not far up Highway 57 was Midway Eat.

With a sign like that, we had to stop. The restaurant structure certainly had the right feel.

Upon entering, we were told to seat ourselves. We chose a booth - bad mistake, possibly the most uncomfortable booth ever. The menu was attractive with several inviting choices.

After reading the review of the Broasted Chicken at the Murdo Drive-In yesterday, I knew Bobbi would be ordering the Broasted Chicken here.

I had a hankering for a burger, and after asking our waitress about the Home Style Hamburger decided that was for me (Not being experienced Roadfooders from the Steel City, we both passed on the Shrimp Basket).

I didn't notice the "Midway Special" until after ordering. I saw one delivered to another patron and it looked excellent. I didn't have the nerve to drop over to photograph the Hot Beef on Bread.

I'm breaking up this report and posting this before I lose my work.  Much more to come.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2011/07/16 20:41:50

15 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10220
    Re:An accidental roadtrip 2011/07/16 20:34:37 (permalink)
    "Hot Beef on Bread"???? Most basic description I've ever seen!
    Most places would at least have called it a Hot Roast Beef Sandwich!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:An accidental roadtrip 2011/07/16 20:36:56 (permalink)
    Still flying back and forth? I thought you had moved out here permanently
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:An accidental roadtrip 2011/07/16 20:43:44 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Still flying back and forth? I thought you had moved out here permanently

Certain offspring decided it would be better to spend the Summer in WI. We are now targeting October for the move.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:An accidental roadtrip 2011/07/16 21:11:40 (permalink)
    After a very short wait, our waitress delivered Bobbi's Chicken & Dumpling Soup.  It was very rich and had nice, large dumplings. Bobbi appreciated that is was not overloaded with celery. The soup was included with her chicken.

She ordered the half-chicken for $6.99, her order arrived short the drumstick, which was still being prepared. Our service was very attentive with different young waitresses helping as needed. We appreciated the chicken being delivered hot, instead of waiting for the tardy drumstick.

Yes, that is beef gravy on the mashed potatoes - the gravy was probably canned, the potatoes were from scratch with some tasty lumps. The chicken was fantastic, very crispy, yet moist too. Never pass on a chance to try genuine Broasted Chicken.

I ordered my Home Style Hamburger with cheese. It was a hand formed half-pound patty that was chargrilled and served on a lightly grilled roll. The meat was excellent, very tasty with the chargrilling, American cheese, and butter ... BUTTER!!!  What I didn't know and didn't see at first is that this is actually a Butter Burger. The roll was generously spread with butter (nothing like Solly's, but still substantial). The butter melted as I ate the burger and the butter perfectly complemented the meaty juices from the burger.

We considered having pie, but the selection was meager. With Manitowoc less than an hour away, we knew where to go for dessert.

Midway Restaurant
    N529 State Highway 57
    Random Lake, WI 53075
    (920) 994-9011
    post edited by JRPfeff - 2011/07/16 21:16:34
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8331
    Re:An accidental roadtrip 2011/07/16 21:18:34 (permalink)
    We, too, stopped at Cedar Valley over the 4th of July weekend.So glad you guys went and discovered the string cheese! By the way, they do ship....And Midway Eat! We used to eat there on our way up to our friends cottage.Mostly breakfast, but always good, solid food. Looking forward to more!
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:An accidental roadtrip 2011/07/16 21:57:28 (permalink)
    Our next stop was Miesfeld's Meats in Sheboygan for their Grand Champion Bratwurst. Although they were holding a Brat Fry, we skipped it after consuming lunch just a half-hour before.

We passed on the almost infinite variety of frozen sausages, but we still left with a large hole in my wallet.

Besides the fresh brats, we bought bone-in pork chops, smoked pork chops, a Capone roast, some Landjaeger, bacon ends, and frozen Walleye and Northern Pike. Plus a cooler to keep everything cold.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:An accidental roadtrip 2011/07/16 23:20:51 (permalink)
    Dessert in Manitowoc can mean only one thing.

No, not Beernsten's.

The Covered Wagon for pie.  Bobbi chose the German Chocolate Pie, which I thought was a creative pie idea.

I had the Old Fashioned Raisin Pie.  It was raisiny and very rich. Each pie had an excellent crust, crisp and very flaky, without being chewy.

We also bought a slice of Poppy Seed Torte and brought it home for our son.  He inhaled it, so I did not get a sample.

That's all for the trip, except for eating the meat and cheese we bought along the way.

Covered Wagon
    2013 North Rapids Road
    Manitowoc, WI 54220-1019

(920) 682-1081
    post edited by JRPfeff - 2011/07/16 23:23:08
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:An accidental roadtrip 2011/07/17 01:08:57 (permalink)
    There's a career waiting out there for Bobbi, THE Pie Diva. With her experience & skill, she could be a pie critic. Traveling the countryside, trying out different pie places and writing reports for food magazines, travel magazines & writing a book about Pies across America!. Kind of a Jane Stern, but specializing in pies. You could ask Buffetbuster to be her assistant.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10225
    Re:An accidental roadtrip 2011/07/18 08:38:20 (permalink)
    JRPfeff-
    As good as those pies look, you really got me with the poppyseed torte.  That is something we definitely don't have around here.  Beautiful photos in this great report!  Thanks for posting this.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:An accidental roadtrip 2011/07/18 15:59:05 (permalink)
    I agree about the poppyseed torte, BB. THAT caught my undivided attention!
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:An accidental roadtrip 2011/07/18 16:15:42 (permalink)
    JRPfeff - Great food photos, and that's some burger!  You certainly have some great-looking pies out there.  I don't think I've ever seen anything like that poppyseed torte - very interesting.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:An accidental roadtrip 2011/07/19 15:50:03 (permalink)
    Or raisin pie quite like that--I don't think I've ever seen it without some kind of an adjunct.  So can I ask a question about the chicken--at first I thought it had gravy or hot sauce on it?  Is the skin moist? 
    Pie Diva
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re:An accidental roadtrip 2011/07/19 18:16:18 (permalink)
    The only gravy on the chicken was from the spillage of the mashed potatoes. The skin was extremely crispy. My parents always used to be on the lookout for broasted chicken on their driving trips around Michigan.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:An accidental roadtrip 2011/07/20 03:38:34 (permalink)
    I forget how far Midway Eat is from Cedar Valley-Bob and I want to visit there next time...any guess you guys? And, when you come back one more time before moving, we would love to have an adventure with you two!!
    Pie Diva
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re:An accidental roadtrip 2011/07/20 09:24:52 (permalink)
    It is not very far at all. Road trip sounds fun. We are thinking about driving west next time Jim is home. I know we will be heading back for more cheese, with the 3 kids at home, it goes fast!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1