An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics)

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2391
2009/04/27 16:19:37 (permalink)

An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics)

Billyboy, Ian (Billy's friend) and Baah Ben all met at Vanessa's Dumpling House (formerly known as The Dumpling House) on 118 Eldridge Street in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, NYC.  The place is small, but not nearly as small as described in several write-ups.  (bb-Ian mentioned that they may have undergone some renovations when they changed over to Vanessa's)  

I'd like to try the Ovaltine or the Horlick beverages next time. Has anyone ever had these before, hot or cold?
Baah Ben-Ian ordered a scallion pancake and a single order of chive and pork filled fried dumplings.  We'd add another order of dumplings shortly; One dollar per order of 4.  The dumplings were absolutely fantastic.  Plump, juicy and bursting with flavor.  They didn't need anything like soy sauce, chili oil, etc.  They were that good.  We could have ordered several maore and made our stand at The Dumpling House!  But, we knew we had to save room for lunch. 
Billyboy-the highlight food of this day! Just amazing. There was a nice hint of soy and ginger in them that I really loved, Sorry I didn't cut them open and take of pic of the cross-section. They also sell them frozen, $9.00 per order of 50 and the menu has cooking instructions on it. Baah Ben described them perfectly! These were a "stopped me in my tracks" kind of dish. The Polish have pierogi, Latin America has the empanada and the Chinese have dumplings. Pure comfort food! Possibly in my top 20 for the year! Ian, glad you could make it, man!!  He is the one who first told me about the Sterns and Roadfood and got me excited about it.  So I tip my cap to you, good sir!  I arrived a few minutes late and Ian and Baah Ben were already discussing the foods to come.  They hadn't met before, but I think Roadfooders can spot each other a mile away from that hungry look in their eyes!
In the back kitchen, apparently there are these little dumpling makers, who bring trays and trays of these things to the front of the house where they are placed in a circle on special flat pans with hot vegetable oil and cooked on wok ranges.  The pans are covered and the heat is constantly being adjusted to slowly get a crust on the flat side of these dumplings.  It takes a while witness the fact that you can find yourself waiting 10 minutes for your order.  It's worth it.  You can watch the action from behind the counter or in the front window. 
Baah Ben-The scallion pancake was very interesting.  It reminds one of a Greek Pita in that it has a built in pocket when you cut up the pancake in pizza like slices.  the pancake seemed to be about two feet in diameter.  It has sesame seeds on the exterior and bits of scallions throughout the inside.  It has a wonderful salty taste and can be eaten just plain or they make little sandwiches out of them.  It is also made on the wok range,  It is covered and turned and slowly cooked to a golden brown exterior.  The sesame seeds give it a terrific nutty taste.  
Billyboy-I too loved this, although it reminded me somewhat of focaccia bread.  Light, with a wonderful butteriness and saltiness to it and a slight chew to it.  The sesame seeds definitely elevated it.  This is a perfect snacking food to pick up and munch on while walking the streets of Chinatown.  My only regret is that I failed to take a picture of this as a whole.  It was as big as a pizza, but we only snagged a this slice as we had another stop to make.  

A shot from the back of the house looking out to the street.
Baah Ben-If you are patient, you can find seats albeit you'll be sharing a table.  Not a problem since this is not fine dining nor the type of place you want to linger over your meal.  This is a real roadfood.com joint.  
Billyboy-the window next to the Coca-Cola case is where you can look into the back kitchen and watch the women (only women-not sure if that is a cultural thing) making the dumplings.  I walked up to the window and pointed at my camera, but one woman shook her head to say "no".  If you make it here, definitely worth taking a peek to see the dumpling making process.  
Baah Ben spotted some very wonderful, adorable Golden Retrievers outside so we spent a few minutes giving them some love before moving on to our next destination.
The Manhattan Bridge Arch on Canal Street in Chinatown. It connects Chinatown to Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
Next stop was Great N.Y. Noodletown.  Ian was not able to join us; Too bad because he would have provided a reason to order even more dishes.
Baah Ben-We started off with what was anticipated to be one of their crowning specialities; a simple appetizer of roast pork.  Normally, this is cut up at the front, at room temperature, where the bbq meats (ducks, chickens suckling pig) are hanging.  But, for some unknown reason, the order came from the back of the kitchen.  And our genius waitier thought we "Americanos" thought we wanted it hot.  Billyboy spied the waiter placing the sliced pork in the microwave!  What the hell is a microwave doing in a chinese restaurant in the first place!  NOT GOOD!  
Billyboy-The funny thing was that I saw him put the dish in microwave after we had order the pork and I didn't make any connection with it being "ours" until he took it out and set it on the table.  I said to Baah Ben, "You know, he just warmed that up in the microwave!"  I thought it was good, but I am curious  how much better it would have been if he hadn't warmed it up or if they cut some off of what I would presume would be a newer rack (I'm guessing that ours was the "last" serving from a rack) or if we had gone up front and specified which one we wanted ours from.  I wonder if knowing a few key phrases in Chinese would have helped?
Baah Ben-We ordered two dishes; chow fun with shrimp and lobster sauce and fried pork chops with onions over white rice.  The chow fun dish was delicate and just as I remembered it at Great N.Y. Noodletown. 
Billyboy- I've never had a dish like this before and I'm pretty sure I've never seen it anywhere either.  Not a big selection of old school Cantonese in Central NY. The shrimp were huge and plump and I was digging the chewy wide noodles.  I wasn't so sure about the lobster sauce though.   It had a very thick, somewhat gelatinous feel that just isn't my thing.  I'm certainly glad I tried it and it makes me want to explore Chinatown even more and experiment with dishes that are foreign to my palate.
Baah Ben-The pork chop was interesting.  Billy liked that one better.  It had a very light sweet and sour touch to it.  Perfect since each of us took our favorites home; plenty left over. 
Billyboy-I liked this dish a lot. Sweet, sour, salty, a bit fatty and crispy from the battered bone-in pork chops. The onions and egg bits were a nice complement to the just rightly chewy rice.
A shot looking into the restaurant from the front door. Our table was in the far right hand corner near the entrance to the kitchen where the man in the black vest is standing.

Various shots of the meats in the window. Baah Ben and I both lamented the fact that we didn't think to order some of that beautiful looking suckling pig!
We saw some feet in the middle and left pans, but not sure what the brown items are in the pan on the right. The yellow items appear to be squid, but I'm not sure. Any takers?
Not a huge fan of duck, but those ribs look might good to me!

Baah Ben-I was not happy about the microwave and next time, I'm going to Big Wong's.  So, I am no longer recommending NY Noodletown as my favorite restaurant in Chinatown.

Billyboy-I liked this place, but I'd rename it "Yeah, it's "Good, but not Great" N.Y. Noodletown".  Given the vast number of restaurants in Chinatown, I'd return but I wouldn't rush back.

Baah Ben-We went to Billy's choice for ice cream in Chinatown, the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, located at 65 Bayard Street.  They had had an amazing variety of ice cream flavors such as sesame seed, Durian and the one Billy ordered, Almond cookie.  Boy, that was very, very good!  Lots of almond flavor within a very good rich ice cream base.  Almost like a Tortoni.
Billyboy-Sorry I didn't take any pics on this one, so I just inserted these shots from my trip there last year. 

This is actually the Almond Cookie mixed with Pumpkin Pie ice cream. The Almond Cookie is definitely my "go to" flavor. I tried to taste a sample of the Durian flavor, but they were out. It's hard to get as they don't have any available too often. One of these days...

Billy, great meeting you and thanks again for the goodie bag (BBQ sauce, mustard, baked beans) from upstate NY.  I can't wait to try them all. 

Baah Ben, thank you, sir!  You were excellent company and the Roadfood definitely tasted that much better sharing it with a great Roadfooder such as yourself.

The 411

1.)  Vanessa's Dumpling House
       118A Eldridge Street (bet. Grand and Broome Street)
       New York, NY 10002
       Ph# 212-625-8008
       No website

2.) Great N.Y. Noodletown
       28 Bowery (at Bayard Street)
       New York, NY 10013
       Ph# 212-349-0923
       Menupages listing:   http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/great-ny-noodletown/
       No website

3.)  Chinatown Ice Cream Factory
       65 Bayard Street (bet. Elizabeth and Mott Street)
       New York, NY 10013
       Ph# 212-608-4170
       Menupages listing:   http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/chinatown-ice-cream-factory/

post edited by billyboy - 2009/04/27 16:33:59

21 Replies Related Threads

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/27 16:58:50 (permalink)
    Durian Ice Cream???

I sampled Durian in Thailand several years ago. 

It is truly a unique experience
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/27 17:01:09 (permalink)
    Oh <dumplings>.  I really love how much of your food you can see before you order in these kinds of places.
    hjbyun
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/27 17:16:48 (permalink)
    Just ate at the Great NY Noodletown yesterday morning.  The noodle soups and the roast meats were just fantastic. 

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/27 19:48:38 (permalink)
    billyboy and Baah Ben , Great report.  I love the dual narrative.  Great descriptions on the food and restaurants.

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/28 10:19:16 (permalink)
    Joe - Thanks for lunch..U da man!!!
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/28 10:26:35 (permalink)
    "I'd like to try the Ovaltine or the Horlick beverages next time. Has anyone ever had these before, hot or cold?"

billyboy, I can't tell if this is a joke or not...
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/28 10:38:14 (permalink)
    The mystery pan you are talking about under the roasted ducks are duck tongues.  Good flavor but I'm always weirded out by the fact they have a bone in them. That messes it up for me even when I try to think of it as a chicken wing.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1585
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/28 12:01:13 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for a great report!

I don't get to Chinatown nearly enough but those dumplings have put me in the mood.

For years our Go To place in Chinatown was the Yun Luck Rice Shoppe on Doyers St. Then it went downhill, and then finally it seems to have closed a few years ago (not sure when). We've been looking for a replacement ever since and Venessa's Dumpling House looks like it could be the place. Thanks again!

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7760
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/28 15:29:22 (permalink)
    Excellent report!  I'd love to try some of those dumplings.

As far as the Durian...  I tried a durian wafer cookie.  I had to remove the package from the house.

I ate one wafer.

I tasted it all day no matter what I ate after it to try to mask it.

Never again.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/28 16:48:11 (permalink)
    Dang, I'll have to go order chinese tonight as my taste buds are watering now. Still full from lunch right now though. I agree that suckling pit looked really good as did the ribs.

Dennis in Cary
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/28 19:05:53 (permalink)
    billyboyThe place is small, but not nearly as small as described in several write-ups. 

Unless it's being confused with the equally rivaled Fried Dumpling on nearby (99) Allen Street.

(Great write-up, as always, BTW!)
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/28 19:27:32 (permalink)
    Dumpling House really was tiny and cramped until their expansion and remodeling (late last year, we think).

Fried Dumpling is a couple of blocks away.  Didn't they start the $1 dumpling craze in NYC?  We like Dumpling House more than Fried Dumpling, which seems a little tired to us.  They are close enough to each other, and inexpensive enough, to make a trip to both very feasible.  Decide for yourself!
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1873
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/28 20:04:37 (permalink)

Hello all ,

Great trip reports . Been to the Dumpling House and NY Noddletown in the past . Great choices .

Benzee
    Benzee
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/28 20:04:44 (permalink)

Hello all ,

Great trip reports . Been to the Dumpling House and NY Noddletown in the past . Great choices .

Benzee
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/28 20:48:09 (permalink)
    Dive - Thank you!  Boy...I don't know what to say....I think Billy was up for trying almost anything...Not me.

We were both sorry we did not order that suckling pig.....

Benzee - I am pissed abou tthe microwaved roast pork appetizer.  Next time..Big Wong's.  Ever been there?  it is very, very good.  Fantastic shrimp won tons....
    Benzee
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/29 18:58:02 (permalink)
    Hello there ,

As a matter of fact I have been there . The best shrimp wontons I've had .
    Been to plenty of the chinatownm spots down by the court houses too . Whenever I'm down in the area for a court appearnace I make it a habit to check out a new place

Benzee
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5044
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/04/29 20:49:36 (permalink)
    CajunKing

Durian Ice Cream???

I sampled Durian in Thailand several years ago. 

It is truly a unique experience

Durian gelato is available in Dallas at Natsumi. www.natsumiusa.com 
    analei
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 533
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/05/22 16:40:00 (permalink)
    i really like how you both made a comment of your own on each food item..its really good to see a contrast and difference, and of course, smililarities.
    Freddies Mommy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/05/26 13:58:32 (permalink)
    Great write up I am a dumpling fan what would you say are the best dumplings in NYC?  Since getting dumplings and eating in NYC is a hard thing to do with a toddler I dont have the time to compare and try many places.  We have only been to Rickshaw near Union Square.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2391
    Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/05/26 23:01:33 (permalink)
    Bruce, the Horlicks comment was not a joke.  Not sure why you thought it was.  I grew up drinking that and Ovaltine and I'm curious to see if the Asian preparation/presentation is any different that what I am familiar with.

CK and Mar52, I finally tried some Durian ice cream with my friends a few nights ago and here were the reactions (and mind you, we just had the teesny-tiny sample spoons):
    Christina: screwed up her face, spit it out into the nearest trash can and uttered only one word-"sweatsock"!
    Dave:  "I'm ruined for the night after tasting this!"
    Billyboy:  "What?  Oh, that is just wrong!"

The chocolate ice cream though, was quite amazing.  Nice deep chocolate flavor.  Really good coconut ice cream too.

Freddies Mommy, I really couldn't say what are the best dumpling places as I have only been to this one and Rickshaw.  Not a huge fan of Rickshaw.  Felt too hip, pricey for what it was and the flavors just didn't "gel" for me.  My friends hadn't been to Chinatown in a long time and I gave them a tour the other night and we were all in agreement that Vanessa's was a good call, Cheap, very tasty and flavors that really popped.  The pork and chive ones as well as the sesame pancake are just so satisfying.

Re:An afternoon in Chinatown NYC with Baah Ben, Billyboy and Ian (with pics) 2009/05/27 00:17:53 (permalink)
    billyboy

Bruce, the Horlicks comment was not a joke.  Not sure why you thought it was.  I grew up drinking that and Ovaltine and I'm curious to see if the Asian preparation/presentation is any different that what I am familiar with.

billyboy - With all the very unusual beverages on the menu, I thought you were joking when you asked about the two old-fashioned American drinks listed as if they were the strangest, most exotic things on the menu.  I stand corrected, and I see now what you were asking (I still think it's funny, though).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1