Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6393
2008/10/13 20:18:49 (permalink)

An afternoon trip to the local cider mill

As many of you may know, I am a lover of apples and cider

This afternoon, the weather was cooperating perfectly, 80 degrees and sunny (but not the hot 80 degrees, the one with the cool crispness in the air)

Fall has started to appear in Southeastern Indiana, I was worried we have been extremely dry and I thought we weren't getting any fall colors this year.

Mother Nature has other plans though

I know it doesn't rival the NE in color change, but give us a few cold snaps and we will get there.

As I was enjoying the drive witht he windows down and the radio on, I soon saw what I was looking for

As I pulled into the drive, I saw Dick Salatin out in the orchard picking apples and Donna his wife cleaning out her flower bed.

Ah yes, fall is upon and soon it will be Halloween

Decent prices onthe pumpkins
$4.25 for the BIG ones, $3.25 for the avg size, $2.25 for the smaller

I was here for something else though, as I opened the door into the Salatin's store I could smell what I came for...... APPLES!

I beat Donna to the door so my first pictures were with the lights half on, she turned them on when she came in.

Here's what I came for

Prices were not too bad I felt only up $1.00 from last year's prices

Here are the choices we have:

(Not in Order)

Royal Gala
Ozark Gold
Wolf River
McIntosh
Jonathan
Cortland
Empire
Red Delicious
Jona Gold
Yellow Delicious
Grimes
Rome
Mutsu
Winesap (Turley & Staymen)
Red Fuji
Winter Banana
York Imperial
Black Twig
Granny Smith
Baldwin
Braeburn
Melrose
Swiss Gourmet

Choices, choices, choices
I love this place cause you can mix and match, so I chose

Swiss gourmet
Melrose
Braeburn (no picture I ate that one there)
Winter banana (the big apple)
York Imperial
Wolf River
Royal Gala
Empire
Winesap
Fuji

Here is Dick back from the orchard bottling cider

Salatins uses a modern press for their cider

Some of the other things they do at Salatins

Fresh Apple Cider Vinegar - Oh yeah this stuff is good

Popcorn fresh from the field

A wonderful way to spend a quiet afternoon, talking to good friends, drinking cold fresh cider, and munching on apples.

34 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/13 20:32:59 (permalink)
    What a great report...that cidar looks like the real thing...made with care and a whole lot of love...bet it was great...wouldn't mind a half gallon of that cidar vinegar also!!!!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/13 20:40:42 (permalink)
    Lee

The cider was sweet and delicious, I drank a half gallon (240g of sugar) and tonight my blood sugar level was 489, but oh was it worth it, until all the fiber kicks in......
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2302
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/13 20:57:29 (permalink)
    Al, how close are you to this place? Is there someplace similar to this near Corydon?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/14 10:23:41 (permalink)
    Up near Madison. We can consider a ride up there on Saturday???? Hubers has all this stuff too, but in a more "Knotts Berry Farm" environment.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/14 10:55:15 (permalink)
    "Winter Banana"? I'm curious about the flavor, anything like a "Grapple"? Also, do they grow all of these choices????
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/14 11:28:47 (permalink)
    Beautiful pictures CK! This is such a great time of year!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/14 12:10:11 (permalink)
    That is lovely Don! Don't zonk out on cider now!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/14 13:36:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

"Winter Banana"? I'm curious about the flavor, anything like a "Grapple"? Also, do they grow all of these choices????

"Winter Banana
    Parentage / Origin: Indiana, 1876
    Harvest / Season: Harvest: October; Season: October - February
    Description: Good dessert and cooking apple, keeps well. Strikingly beautiful, large and waxy late apple. Green ripening to yellow, cheek overlaid with pinkish-brown. Firm, crisp, juicy flesh with the distinctive aromatic flavor for which it is named.
    Tree Characteristics: Tree bears young and annually."

copied from http://www.allaboutapples.com/

The taste of this apple is sweet with the slightest banana scent, a perfect balance of crunch and sweetness, according to Dick Salatin he uses it as a base for sweetening his cider.

I just like munching on them.

Salatins actually grows 32 different varieties of apples, mny of them are heirloom varieties, you can't get anywhere else.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4531
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/14 13:43:43 (permalink)
    Great assortment. Fresh picked and tree ripened.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/14 17:36:02 (permalink)
    That's great Don. Do they ship, I would love to get some Winesaps for my wife?
    mncorn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/18 01:06:30 (permalink)
    Are there any Honey Crisp apples down there? They are big in MN and also developed in MN. Great eating apple.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/18 17:29:35 (permalink)
    Neither of my 2 local orchards grow Honey Crisp.

Honey Crisp is a fairly new varietal of apple, created by the Univ of MN in 1991. It is slowly moving out of the great lakes region.

Salatin's has more heirloom varietals and Beiersdorfer's has more of the "popular" apple varieties for cider production.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8364
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/18 17:45:54 (permalink)
    Absolutely love this time of year!! Great looking apples, wonderful cider, and beautiful looking trees.Doesnt get any better than that!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6373
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/18 17:56:54 (permalink)
    I buy my Honey Crisp apples right at the original source, the University of Minnesota Arboretum Applehouse. I missed out on the early crop gone by the first week of September but the ones they had this week were huge. One sufficed for my lunch today. Also bought some Snowsweet apples first released in 2006. It will be a few years for this delicious apple to appear elsewhere.
    mncorn
    Cheeseburger
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/20 00:06:23 (permalink)
    Great pics, thanks, Looks like MN now. I planted a Honey Crips in my back yard 4 yars ago. Only had apples the first year. For the last three years, nothing. I have a crab apple next to it and another crap in the front yard. We have lots of flowers in the neighbor hood so I do not think that polination is a problem. I put in two tree spikes this spring and nothing. Any ideas for next year. I live in MN, just north of the University of Minnesota Arboretum Applehouse where they were produced. Any IDEAS? This could be another thread.
    mncorn
    Cheeseburger
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/20 00:32:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

I buy my Honey Crisp apples right at the original source, the University of Minnesota Arboretum Applehouse. I missed out on the early crop gone by the first week of September but the ones they had this week were huge. One sufficed for my lunch today. Also bought some Snowsweet apples first released in 2006. It will be a few years for this delicious apple to appear elsewhere.

Davydd,

I live in Mound on the Island (not on the lake) and grew up in Belle Plaine, MN. Glad to talk to a real local. Emma Krumbees in Belle Plaine also sells the Honey Crisp. My dad is a retired school teacher and in the fall works in the apple orchard and mom works in the retail store a few hours a week. I was there a few weeks ago with my kids. The place is just nuts. The scare crow festival is going on right now and selling all the apples, raspberries, strawberries (hydroponics) and everything else is going on there. Fun for young kids in the afternoon. Just a gold mine for the owner, it is kind of fun.

Todd
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2403
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/20 00:36:18 (permalink)
    CK, great report! I too love fall and the aroma of apples in the air. CNY has a great many orchards as well. I love those wonderful fall shots! I espcecially liked seeing the guy sitting on the milk crate filling the cider jugs. Nice shots of the leaves and the old Pepsi/7-UP bottles. Lots of apples I had never heard of before. Sounds like a relaxing, fun day.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7903
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/20 09:18:19 (permalink)
    What an interesting report! I sure miss a lot of things living in the big city.

Thanks for taking the time to let us enjoy it with you.
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/20 09:52:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for the great pictures, CajunKing. Fall is my favorite time of year and looking at your pictures I could almost smell the apples.

What a huge variety of apples at that store! I don't think I have ever seen so many different kinds in one place.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/20 11:20:16 (permalink)
    CajunKing captured the perfect essence of fall in the apple orchard. That's why fall seems to be the best and most serene time of year.

mncorn,

I live in Tonka Bay directly north of the Arboretum. My property at one time at the turn of the last century was part of the Minnesota State Fruit Farm and previously land owned by Peter Gideon, the man who developed the first winter surviving apple in Minnesota in the 19th Century, the Wealthy apple. When we first bought our property 32 years ago it was a remnant of a farm and had an ancient apple tree still producing that could have been the Wealthy apple. It is long gone.

I've driven by Emma Krumbee's numerous times but have never stopped. I keep saying we ought to but it seems it is always too early in a trip starting out or too late and too close to home to bother on a return, and just a tad too far to make a special trip. I say that and I am the man who will drive 900 miles for a pork tenderloin sandwich.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1051
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/20 12:20:09 (permalink)
    We have found plenty of apples (Honey Crisp, Regents, Keepsake, Haralson, etc.) at our local farmer's market (Hiawatha and Lake Street) in Minneapolis on Saturday mornings. Unfortunately, this coming Saturday is the last market until the Thanksgiving market. No one has had any cider this season.

I went to Emma Krumbee's once, on my way back from a speaking engagement at Gustavus Adolphus College. They had apple cider, and it was OK, but not spectacular. The place seemed pretty "commercial" to me -- but I didn't have kids with me, and I wasn't in the market for apples, so I can't speak to that.

Nearby is the Minnesota Harvest Apple Orchard (just up the road, in Jordan), which was known at that time as Sponsel's -- maybe still is. They had good pies (apple and pumpkin), but the cider (while perfectly OK) was from Michigan.

Where can I find Minnesota-made cider?

By the way, I grew up in Indianapolis, just blocks from what was then the Lilly Apple Orchard. We always got apples and cider there. It's on the grounds of what is now Park-Tudor prep school, but I believe they still operate the orchards.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/20 17:19:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rumaki

Where can I find Minnesota-made cider?

By the way, I grew up in Indianapolis, just blocks from what was then the Lilly Apple Orchard. We always got apples and cider there. It's on the grounds of what is now Park-Tudor prep school, but I believe they still operate the orchards.

The University of Minnesota Arboretum Applehouse at Highway 5 and Rolling Hills Rd sells Minnesota-made cider. It is pasteurized though. As you know I too am originally from Indianapolis. I can't remember exactly where I bought my cider as there were so many places but it was unpasteurized and I did the ol' balloon fermenting trick before taking a jug along on our high school hayrides.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/20 18:09:25 (permalink)
    Just got back from Salatin's today, Donna had just made an Chocolate applesauce cake
    and she had several crocks of applesauce and butter going.

Talk about sensory overload, I walked in the door and BAM right in the face APPLES and CINNAMONNNNN. WOW, what a treat.

I got:

1 LARGE Pumpkin (28" across)
    1 Medium Large Pumpkin (22" acoss)
    4 Medium Pumpkins (18-20" across)
    2 Small Medium Pumpkins (14-16" across)
    1 Small Pumpkin (9" across)
    $23.25

I will have to post the pix of my jack o lanterns after i carve them Sunday or Monday

I also got some more apples and cider!!!!!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2008/10/20 22:44:37 (permalink)
    Sounds like a perfect way to spend a day.

Thanks for the great report, CK.
    love2bake
    • Total Posts : 1389
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2013/10/02 09:23:48 (permalink)
    CK - What a wonderful report!!  I'm so glad CC mentioned it today, because this was before I started interacting on RF.

Like so many others have mentioned above, Fall is my favorite time of year, too, and this captures a lot of the reasons why.

I'm working up to a trip to my "local" apple place in Watsonville, CA.  It's Gizdich Ranch: 
    http://www.gizdich-ranch.com/
    and it looks a lot like Salatin's inside.  I'm just waiting on the winesaps, which will be mid- to late-October here.  I'll also snag some of their cider which is heavenly.

Awesome report!
    post edited by love2bake - 2013/10/02 09:27:57
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2013/10/02 11:51:15 (permalink)
    Although this is an old thread, I am glad to see it pop up again. The Orchard/Cider Houses are becoming a disappearing location in Rural America...Either fading away or turning into commercial operations that are more like Supermarkets than fruit stands.
    Huber Farms, near us is a 5 generation family owned and operated 'farm-business'. They had several thousand visitor/customers at their 'Pumpkin Patch' last weekend !  The Strawberry Festival last summer drew almost 50,000...They have expanded in almost ever facet of their farm operation/production. It's a great place to visit and the restaurant is outstanding, but it has lost the 'Down-Home Atmosphere' that Don described so well in his report on the apple-stand.

PS- I found some 'imported' Northern Spies at a fruit stand near us recently...at $2.79 a pound I only bought a few to introduce them to Janet, but they were hard as rocks...as a Spy should be.

We had about 40 lbs of Arkansas Blacks on one tree in our orchard this seasons. Our 2 Honey Crisps are 8 yr old and have yet to give us any useable fruit..We may be too far south for it.  The deer are loving the unuseable fruit and now the Persimmons are getting ready to drop...Step right into our buffet, Bambi, Grandma Janet is waiting for you.....
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18450
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2013/10/02 12:14:53 (permalink)
    And the official state apple of Ohio is the Melrose. But I can't find any untreated cider in Ohio these days. The last untreated cider I had came from an orchard in Western Pennsylvania, about five miles north of Zelienople. Really good stuff, and they were pressing the apples as we stood waiting for our jugs to be filled.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2013/10/02 16:35:07 (permalink)
    OK Yesterday's trip to the orchard netted me:

1/2 peck Apples
    1/2 gal cider
    and PUNKINS
    The weather this year was perfect for apples and punkins.

I got a X-Lg Punkin, 3 Lg Punkin, and 2 Md Punkins
    and some cool new punkin carving tools

post edited by CajunKing - 2013/10/02 16:37:40
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    RE: An afternoon trip to the local cider mill 2013/10/02 17:04:41 (permalink)
    Looks like a fun place to visit....Thanks.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1