An evening at R.U.B. BBQ (NYC)-with pics

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2434
2008/10/20 02:08:49 (permalink)

An evening at R.U.B. BBQ (NYC)-with pics

Friday October 17th-I met my girlfriend and some of her co-workers for dinner at R.U.B. BBQ in NYC before they made their way to a haunted house for the evening. I got there a bit late, so I missed out on the BBQ bacon chunks they had as an appetizer. I did get to sample one of the hush puppies.

It was okay, but I wasn't crazy about it. Seemed a bit too salty for my taste. I should have asked for some honey to go with it.

The couple next to me ordered the BBQ chili cheese fries and generously shared them amongst the table. Killer! Just killer. I think it had black beand and their smoked brisket and burnt ends in it. Gotta try this if you go!

Pulled pork plate with beans, cornbread, white bread and pickles. Looked good, but I didn't try any.

My gf's platter of burnt ends, pulled. smoked chicken, with baked beans and coleslaw (vinegar, I think) with bread and pickles. The ends were just great as always, like a smoky punch in the mouth. The pulled chicken was really good too, Moist and smoky. The beans were good, but these ones leaned more on the sweet side and less on the smoky as I had had on previous occasions. Still good though. I didn't try the slaw.

Ribs platter with spicy fries. Larry said he had ordered baby backs, but we didn't think these were baby backs. In any case, they were tender, meaty and had great smoke penetration.

My side of greens. R.U.B.'s is a mix of collard, mustard and spinach with lots of tiny pieces of bacon laced throughout. Loved these!

My BBQ chicken wings with greens. These were meaty and a bit crispy. They had some smoke flavor to them, a nice crust from a spicy (almost jerk-like) rub and the sauce had been cooked in to them. These had been on my "to-do" list for some time and they didn't disappoint.

I offered Larry some wings and he gave me some ribs. Just wanted to get some close-ups of the meats and the crust.

We had a great time and I love this place more with every visit.

6 Replies Related Threads

mncorn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: An evening at R.U.B. BBQ (NYC)-with pics 2008/10/20 02:12:55 (permalink)
    Perfect, you hit a home run. Great find.
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: An evening at R.U.B. BBQ (NYC)-with pics 2008/10/20 08:01:23 (permalink)
    Those Ribs looked fine but I cant say the same for the rest.Why is it so hard for Yankees to make Hushpuppies?
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    RE: An evening at R.U.B. BBQ (NYC)-with pics 2008/10/20 08:13:42 (permalink)
    Everything looks great...a nice place!!!
    Tom-Fl
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: An evening at R.U.B. BBQ (NYC)-with pics 2008/10/20 09:33:44 (permalink)
    I don't know about a "Yankee",but I guess you could consider Paul Kirk from KCMO that.

He is the chef that set up the locations,is a comp cook,and bbq instructor,as well as several cookbooks.

Don't know if they even serve hushpuppies anywhere in KCMO.

Usually just large slices of bread.

Tom
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: An evening at R.U.B. BBQ (NYC)-with pics 2008/10/20 09:48:18 (permalink)
    BB,

Those are babybacks. You can tell from the curvature in the bone. Keep in mind that many people use the term "babybacks" and think that the racks should be two pounds and down. The same term is used for loinback ribs but are heavier in weight.

If they had been spares or St. Louis cut, the bones would be straighter rather than curved.

John
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    RE: An evening at R.U.B. BBQ (NYC)-with pics 2008/10/20 10:33:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jellybear

Those Ribs looked fine but I cant say the same for the rest.Why is it so hard for Yankees to make Hushpuppies?

I too have been hoping to find someplace here in Jersey(besides Arthur Treachers) that make a great hushpuppy...sure miss them!!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1