The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ???

wheregreggeats.com

And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Fri, 01/13/12 10:27 AM (permalink)
http://www.brandindex.com...op-us-buzz-scores-2011
 ... I, for one am not buying into this one.

Sundancer7

Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Fri, 01/13/12 10:34 AM (permalink)
    wheregreggeats.com

Does money talk???

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
      Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Fri, 01/13/12 10:49 AM (permalink)
      I demand a recount!!!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
        Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Fri, 01/13/12 11:22 AM (permalink)
        Well, around here there is a Subway on every corner it seems so I'm betting on quantity. Even our Wal Mart has a Subway.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
          Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Fri, 01/13/12 2:28 PM (permalink)
          They are literally everywhere around here and they all seem to be busy. I was actually pretty surprised to see one close in a nearby strip center recently.

leethebard

Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Fri, 01/13/12 3:26 PM (permalink)
            We got a few of those $5 subs when we were in a hurry...my som likes nothing on them but the meat....he got one very thin layer.....all bread(and very poor bread at that....the cold cuts are ,I'm sure, not Boar's Head quality...you get what you pay for...want a cheap $5 sub...that's what you get...cheap trumps quality, I guess these days!!!

Sundancer7

Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Fri, 01/13/12 4:29 PM (permalink)
              Why is it that the Subway always stink?  Is it the bread?  I noticed that everytime I pass one the smell always is offensive.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Fri, 01/13/12 4:44 PM (permalink)
                Sundancer7

Why is it that the Subway always stink?  Is it the bread?  I noticed that everytime I pass one the smell always is offensive.

Paul E. Smith
                Knoxville, TN

I smoke, so I don't notice that so much but Mrs. Metro will not go into a Subway for that reason.  Yeast + uncovered cured meats?  Who knows?  That said, other sub shops (Jimmy John's, Jersey Mike's, Firehouse, etc.) don't have that funkieness.

The worst, however, was Wendy's back in the '80's when they used "bleach rags" on the tables.  A couple of times I had to leave when they cleaned a table near me.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Fri, 01/13/12 6:29 PM (permalink)
                  leethebard

We got a few of those $5 subs when we were in a hurry...my som likes nothing on them but the meat....he got one very thin layer.....all bread(and very poor bread at that....the cold cuts are ,I'm sure, not Boar's Head quality...you get what you pay for...want a cheap $5 sub...that's what you get...cheap trumps quality, I guess these days!!!

We had a thread on that once ... I find the stench of Subway's enough to dissuade me from trading there even for a wrap.  They used to do pitas ... the bread, no thanks.

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                    Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Fri, 01/13/12 8:57 PM (permalink)
                    leethebard

After years of avoidance, I fell for their $5 sub ads twice last year.   Really fatty, limited cold cuts with a lot of lettuce on some really bad bread.   Really bad stuff.  Not sure they're worth $1.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3298
                      Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Fri, 01/13/12 9:58 PM (permalink)
                      mjambro

After years of avoidance, I fell for their $5 sub ads twice last year.   Really fatty, limited cold cuts with a lot of lettuce on some really bad bread.   Really bad stuff.  Not sure they're worth $1.

You do realize you control what they put on the sandwich, right? So if you thought it was too much lettuce you should have told them.

However, I refuse to be drawn yet another time into this debate. Every time a FF restaurant comes up, people insist on ranting about how awful it is. This works just like everything else in America: if you don't like it, don't eat it. No one is making you go there.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
                        Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 12:30 AM (permalink)
                        My mother rents out to a Subway.  The owner has, I think 40 of them in the Los Angeles area.  Something is going right.

senor boogie woogie

• Total Posts: 225
                          Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 3:27 AM (permalink)
                          Subway sucks. The only decent thing about the place is the bread. I wish they would just sell the bread.

The Jared Fogel story is BS too. There is no way this guy lost weight eating Subway everyday.

senor boogie woogie

• Total Posts: 225
                            Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 3:27 AM (permalink)
                            Subway sucks. The only decent thing about the place is the bread. I wish they would just sell the bread.

The Jared Fogel story is BS too. There is no way this guy lost weight eating Subway everyday.

mjambro

Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 7:10 AM (permalink)
                              felix4067

mjambro

You do realize you control what they put on the sandwich, right? So if you thought it was too much lettuce you should have told them.

However, I refuse to be drawn yet another time into this debate. Every time a FF restaurant comes up, people insist on ranting about how awful it is. This works just like everything else in America: if you don't like it, don't eat it. No one is making you go there.

Hmm - My point wasn't intended that there was too much lettuce, but rather a lack of substance (cold cuts) as well as quality.  Actually, I CAN'T control what they use other than not to go there.  Their lettuce is actually the best part of the sandwich.

However, you hit it correctly - It'll be at least another ten years before I ever enter another Subway.  I can't think of a worse meal.  IMO, It even ranks worse than Olive Garden.

Furthermore, I can't believe someone actually complimented their bread. I'm not sure what's worse - their bread or their fatty cold cuts.  (Their meatballs are also incredibly bad.) 

leethebard

Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 8:05 AM (permalink)
                                The bread is some strange concoction...and the one's with the spices sprinkled on them are worse.......and Olive Graden is Paradise compared to subway...and how can you compare a " sub" to am Italian restaurant?????

MiamiDon

Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 8:16 AM (permalink)
                                  Methodology:
                                  These brands were rated using YouGov BrandIndex’s Buzz score which asks respondents, "If you've heard anything about the brand in the last two weeks, through advertising, news or word of mouth, was it positive or negative?"

I believe it.  It does not require the respondent to like Subway.

mjambro

Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 8:16 AM (permalink)
                                    wheregreggeats.com

Ah - re-read the article - "If you've heard anything about the brand in the last two weeks, through advertising, news or word of mouth, was it positive or negative?"

It's obviously not about being tops in quality, but rather a rating of brand recognition - positive or negative.

They get my vote.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3298
                                      Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 12:53 PM (permalink)
                                      mjambro

Hmm - My point wasn't intended that there was too much lettuce, but rather a lack of substance (cold cuts) as well as quality.  Actually, I CAN'T control what they use other than not to go there.  Their lettuce is actually the best part of the sandwich.

Well...you order the type of meat YOU would like, and then they add the vegetables and condiments according to YOUR wishes. That's pretty much the definition of controlling what goes on the sandwich. But hey...again, I'm not making you go there.

Edit: Oh, I get it. You're talking about what they have to offer rather than what you choose. You're correct, that can only be controlled by not going there. But I have to admit I've never seen fatty meats there...processed lunch meat really doesn't come with visible fat that I've ever noticed. If you liked the bread, I bet you'd like their veggie subs!
                                      <message edited by felix4067 on Sat, 01/14/12 12:55 PM>

wheregreggeats.com

Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 1:04 PM (permalink)
                                        Their veggie wrap is tolerable ... but, again, the stench keeps me form going in.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2236
                                          Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 1:54 PM (permalink)
                                          I get the Italian, Salami, pepperoni, Black forest ham, Jalapeno jack cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, hot peppers, bell peppers, red onion, olives, sliced cucumbers, Salt and pepper, oil and vinegar....What the hell do you want for $5..............I get what I paid for.........This chain is one of the biggest success stories in the free world. Every FF restaurant that is successful in our society is successful for a reason. The reason is, people like it, can afford it, it fits  a need. Not everyone can afford going to an Italian deli and have a sandwich for $12 or Katz in NYC for a $18 Pastrami on Rye................. I like Subway for what it offers, it fits a need and a want in our society............................pnwc

leethebard

Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 1:55 PM (permalink)
                                            Cheap cold cuts, while you don't see the fat, are still CHEAP cold cuts...the REAL sub shop down the corner from us uses Thumann's cold cuts and features REAL sub bread,,,oh yeh, a bit more than $5, but at $8.00 for a full, whole,sandwich with quality meat and bread, I'll take that!!!!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
                                              Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 2:20 PM (permalink)

I like Subway for what it offers, it fits a need and a want in our society............................pnwc

Exactly!

Also, if you don't like the amount of meat in the sandwich, for $1 more you can double it.

What do you want for $5?  It's not gourmet... it's cheap and satisfying at times.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
                                                Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 2:31 PM (permalink)
                                                I don't have any problems with Subway, except for one, which I'll get to. I've enjoyed their meatball sub, the steak and cheese one, the spicy Italian and the tuna. Do they compare with ones I make? Not even close. (Well, I don't make tuna subs.) But they're not bad at all, as far as I'm concerned. One more thing, I have never run into any odor problems at a Subway.

Now, my one problem with Subway. How could a guy who started out with one small sub shop in Bridgeport, Connecticut, where they know how to make Italian subs -- and he made some great ones -- ever allow things to go the way they have, so far from his originals?

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2236
                                                  Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 3:10 PM (permalink)
                                                  Michael Hoffman

I don't have any problems with Subway, except for one, which I'll get to. I've enjoyed their meatball sub, the steak and cheese one, the spicy Italian and the tuna. Do they compare with ones I make? Not even close. (Well, I don't make tuna subs.) But they're not bad at all, as far as I'm concerned. One more thing, I have never run into any odor problems at a Subway.

Now, my one problem with Subway. How could a guy who started out with one small sub shop in Bridgeport, Connecticut, where they know how to make Italian subs -- and he made some great ones -- ever allow things to go the way they have, so far from his originals?

Michael, your right, they are not even close to what they were like. Remember when they would cut off the top of the sub roll and layer everything in the wedge. They would then ask you if you wanted the portion of bread removed, or just put it on top of the sub. People used to get mad if they threw the  wedge piece of bread away. They wanted them to feed the animals in the zoo at Bearbsley park zoo.................

Michael Hoffman

Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 3:28 PM (permalink)
                                                    PNWCHEF

Michael Hoffman

Michael, your right, they are not even close to what they were like. Remember when they would cut off the top of the sub roll and layer everything in the wedge. They would then ask you if you wanted the portion of bread removed, or just put it on top of the sub. People used to get mad if they threw the  wedge piece of bread away. They wanted them to feed the animals in the zoo at Bearbsley park zoo.................

I do remember. I'd forgotten about that. As a matter of fact, though, that was something I didn't like -- opening the roll up with the wedge instead of slicing it open.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                      • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                      Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sat, 01/14/12 11:18 PM (permalink)
                                                      And this  surprises whom?

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                                        • Location: Versailles, KY
                                                        Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sun, 01/15/12 1:03 PM (permalink)
                                                        I currently get the Black Forest Ham on toasted wheat bread with lettuce, onions, tomatoes, olives, banana peppers and oil and vinegar.  For $5 I can get two meals out of a 12 inch sub.  Not saying it's great, but it's a pretty good deal.

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sun, 01/15/12 1:23 PM (permalink)
                                                          ann peeples

And this  surprises whom?

I beg your pardon?

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                                                            • Joined: 12/29/2005
                                                            • Location: South Daytona, FL
                                                            Re:And the number one BRAND in America ... SUBWAY !!! ??? Sun, 01/15/12 8:32 PM (permalink)
                                                            down here the high school football games on tv are sponsered by Subway Resteraunts.
                                                            since when do those sh#t places qualify as resteraunts?
                                                            I don't watch any ball sports but I see it on the news.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com