...And they put up a parking lot la la la

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/07/01 19:21:35 (permalink)
There was a movie about this kind of thing...I think it was called harry's War with James Garner...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18658
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/07/20 12:25:24 (permalink)
And if the decision wasn't enough, here's the latest on the New London property taking. The City of New London is now demanding that the owners of the property it condemned for private developers pay back rent for remaining on the land during the court battles. It is expected to amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars for some individuals to pay the city for the five years worth of "squatting." Oh, by the way, the city insists that it will only pay the property owners on the basis of the values from the year 2000.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/07/20 12:42:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

And if the decision wasn't enough, here's the latest on the New London property taking. The City of New London is now demanding that the owners of the property it condemned for private developers pay back rent for remaining on the land during the court battles. It is expected to amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars for some individuals to pay the city for the five years worth of "squatting." Oh, by the way, the city insists that it will only pay the property owners on the basis of the values from the year 2000.

Michael,

Do you have a link or a source to attribute this story. I believe you -- and, actually had this discussion with a friend the other night when I said that this would likely happen. I would like to have some ammo to back up my claim.

I tried to google search and checked on cnn.com, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Steve
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/07/20 12:53:44 (permalink)
Steve, it was in the New Haven Advocate, a weekly alternative paper that comes out each Thursday. This piece, Chutzpah, was in last Thursday's edition. Here's the website, but for some reason I can't get it to open right now.

www.newhavenadvocate.com/
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/07/20 14:14:55 (permalink)
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/07/20 14:59:07 (permalink)
Thanks! I wish this story would be picked up by a major news organization. It surely seems that there is some uproar in the country about this horrendous decision, but the more time passes, the less likely people are to remember that they are upset.

Given all the negative publicity surrounding this case, both locally and nationwide, you have to wonder why the city would pursue this bizarre course of action. Geez...you won. These people are being forced from their homes for "economic development" and they want to collect back rent? My discussion centered on the city wanting to offer market values circa 2000 to the displaced homeowners. I never thought that they could pursue back rent.

Yikes.
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/07/20 15:30:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by michaelgemmell

Whether you like it or not, there is a massive body of legal precedent for eminent domain condemnation of private property for the purpose of economic development. There is no judicial activism here, the judges just said, "Sorry, folks in Connecticut, we can't change the law [ratified in 1791] even though it hurts you." Like I said, whine if you wish, but write your member of Congress.

Yes, there is a massive body of un-Constitutional legal precedent. Doesn't make it right. And, as they have perverted the concept of "interstate commerce", they are also perverting what "public use" means.

However, I do agree with you (" /> can you believe it???) that the way to fight this is for people to start paying attention to and caring about what their local governments are doing. Taking some kind of action, no matter how small, can make a difference.

Do I like it? No. Because it's not really eminent domain. Is it unconstitutional? Probably not. Because under our constitutional system of government, who gets to say it's not constitutional? The Supreme Court. And they've weighed in. And just because I don't like it doesn't make it not constitutional. That's a dangerous line of thinking; it's why this current administration just loves to say dissent equals treason.

Frankly, Bushie, I'm a little surprised to see you taking this tack. Eminent domain is what businesses want. Face it Bushie: The Republicans got what they've always wanted. Big Businesses, which are not citizens under our constitution, now have more rights than people, who are citizens.

Strict constructionism isn't the answer either. Nor is that so-called philosophy what "the Framers" intended. Because when you're talkin' "the Framers", you're pretty much talkin' "James Madison". Who intended the Constitution to have lots of wiggle room, so he and his colleagues wouldn't be nailing the shoes of future generations to the floor. (Dig up Dolley Madison or dial her up on your Ouija board; she apparently could do about a half hour on this easy.)

The answer is: Pay attention to who appoints judges. And if they're too cozy with The Big Money Boys (as Harry Truman used to say), don't vote for them.

We're getting another corporate lawyer type to replace Sandra Day O'Connor. Stay tuned. Eminent domain will be the least of our worries when the current President is done with the Supreme Court.
Caramel Copper
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/07/20 20:49:23 (permalink)
I have not had the time to resond to this thread. (sorry) I did however wake up this morning in the midst of a thousand duties thinking, "damn, Copper, you forgot the smiley face with the comment about a political forum"

It was solely meant in jest, and I sometimes forget the smiley button. Bad judgement, considering I seemed to be shouting at the moderators, I should pay more attention to what evolves from my fingers..

Let me Say:
The Last Thing I want is a Political Forum. I learned that from my Dad (decorated Korean Vet). You Never/Ever talk politics at the TABLE....or wear hats.

Please Accept my Apologiesfor not being lucid,
Copper
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/07/21 01:02:37 (permalink)
All would be well-advised to check the record of this Supreme Court appointee. Many, many people will not like what they see, but corporations will smile. Your senators will want to know your feelings on this... or not.
jmckee
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/07/26 11:20:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Caramel Copper

Please Accept my Apologiesfor not being lucid,
Copper

I myself have built an entire personality on the concept of not being lucid.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/07/26 11:28:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Caramel Copper

[purple]IYou Never/Ever talk politics at the TABLE....or wear hats.

Never wear hats? Tell that to wafflehouserules.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/08/21 12:47:36 (permalink)
Well, this may not be the example of a slippery slope that I was hoping for, but it looks like Daytona Beach is moving forward with their plans to "redevelop" the Daytona boardwalk. Lest anyone think that this is not on topic, one of the condemned businesses is Capt. Darrell's Oyster Bar -- a local restaurant and bar, owned by someone named -- get this -- Darrell. Said locally owned business is being replaced by "a pair of 23-story hotel-condominium towers, new retail stores and restaurants." Why do I get the feeling that the new restaurants will be something in the vein of a Melting Pot, Cheesecake Factory and a PF Changs?

Daytona is operating on its long standing premise that "blighted" areas can be condemned under eminent domain laws, so this actually has less to do with the Surpreme Court decision than one might think. But, the lawyers for Daytona claim that the Supreme Court ruling helped them "by reaffirming that what the city wants to do is constitutional."

Full story, without my personal commentary, can be found here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/volusia/orl-vdomain20_205aug20,0,1918037.story?coll=orl-newsaol-headlines

Steve
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/11/16 14:01:23 (permalink)
Ohio's governor, Bob Taft - and mind you, I am no fan of his - just signed a bill into law today, effectively immediately, placing a moratorium on any uses of eminent domain in the state of Ohio until Jan 1, 2007.

http://governor.ohio.gov/releases/111605bill.htm

Thank god.

It needs to be made permanent, and I wrote him saying just exactly that, but at least Ohio has recognized that abuses are taking place and the corporate sector is now in a feeding frenzy following the supreme court ruling several months back.
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 2013
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/11/17 09:47:56 (permalink)
I had never heard of Bob Taft, but this weeks Time magazine rates him as one of the worst in the country. What do the VOTERS in Ohio think of him?
linus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/11/17 22:46:10 (permalink)

Well, I'm in Cleveland, and Taft is an amoral, corrupt retard.
do you want to hear what I really think???

yes, I own my home.
jmckee
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/11/25 13:13:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by linus

Well, I'm in Cleveland, and Taft is an amoral, corrupt retard.
do you want to hear what I really think???

yes, I own my home.

An example:

The Supreme Court of Ohio has declared the method by which Ohio funds public schools (or to be more accurate, doesn't fund them) unconstitutional five times. Bob Taft has taken absolutely no action. Nor has the state legislature.

Leadership? What leadership?

My mother supported Bob Taft early in his career, and became acquainted with him and his wife. He has slowly deteriorated into the clueless stooge of the monied interests he has become. Mom would not be pleased were she still with us.
jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/11/25 14:44:20 (permalink)
Its happening here,A Friend has Property that the County wants and He already has it under contract to sell but the County is going to try and take it first.Pretty much sucks to me.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/11/25 18:49:27 (permalink)
Write your governor.

As an addendum to my post earlier, while I did not get a reply when I urged that some action be taken, I DID get a nice letter today, a form letter no doubt, from the governor thanking me for thanking him for the temporary moratorium on use of eminent domain in the state of Ohio.

The wife opened it before I even saw it, thinking I was being summoned due to some misdeed. God love her :-)
jmckee
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/12/02 10:07:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Write your governor.

As an addendum to my post earlier, while I did not get a reply when I urged that some action be taken, I DID get a nice letter today, a form letter no doubt, from the governor thanking me for thanking him for the temporary moratorium on use of eminent domain in the state of Ohio.

The wife opened it before I even saw it, thinking I was being summoned due to some misdeed. God love her :-)

I would have thought he was asking you to smack me for "dissing" Montgomery Inn.

Jack
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2005/12/02 11:46:33 (permalink)
Jack: I was unaware that Taft has even been to Montgomery Inn....

As an aside: been using Stubbs for about a week now and it is stating to grow on me, but I am still having a hard time with the strong vinegary taste.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2006/07/26 10:44:11 (permalink)
Good news today in the eminent domain fight in the city of Norwood (which for on-local readers is part of what is referred to as Greater Cincinnati)

http://www.wkrc.com/breaking/story.aspx?content_id=A7719C89-652B-4BDE-9CA2-7943DE80FB2C

Don't know if it will go to the supreme court or not....but a victory is a victory!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: ...And they put up a parking lot la la la 2006/07/27 10:24:59 (permalink)
The local news immediately covered this story, with the feeling (and I hope they're right) that this has national implications

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060727/NEWS01/607270350

OUT FREAKIN STANDING!!!!!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1