Hot!And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7849
2014/02/17 19:43:00 (permalink)

And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews

I recently posted a restaurant review of Tacos De Juarez in Phoenix, a sonoran Arizona Mex institutuion that has been thriving for almost 30 years, received 4 out of 5 stars on yelp, a 91% improvement rating on urbanspoon and has won accolades and awards with the Phoenix New times.  Now if one does their  research on Sonoran Style mexican they will find out that ingredients include "lots of cheese" .
Poster Myterry2, deliberately posted an obnoxious nasty disgusting, rebuttal . (I'm not even sure how it was posted as a review because he obviously never visited) . It didn't surprise me because he has always responded to other folks trip reports but has always chosen to ignore mine.

I sent him a pm along with other Mexican Restaurants reviewed by both Michael Stern and Ayersian (Chris and Amy) along with photos of food with shredded yellow cheese. Clearly if he wasn't intentionally and hatefully singling me out, then he would have to explain why their "shredded yellow cheese was ok, but not mine. Myterry2's comment was that  obviously Michael Stern and Ayersian were used to "taco bell". 

So as of now now it appears that Tacos De Juarez will be my last restaurant review.

33 Replies Related Threads

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4534
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/17 19:52:47 (permalink)
    Yep, definitely a disruptive cheap shot.  Comments like that, which are never appreciated, should be in the forums where you get a chance to debate(argue).
    Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 385
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/17 20:12:04 (permalink)
    Don't let a hater get you down, WJ. You keep right on posting! I read your posts and reviews and have found them to be truly informative. Ignore the trolls, they bring nothing to the table and inhabit every forum. 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18493
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/17 20:13:04 (permalink)
    WJ,
    I found what you were talking about. First, I don't understand how it became a "review," and second, as Joe said, if you have something to say about a review you post it on the board where it can be discussed. But in this case it wasn't even something to say. It was, indeed, a cheap shot.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3736
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/17 20:35:12 (permalink)
    Dale,

In the past few years, there has been a lot of chaff on Roadfood................One must learn to
    separate the wheat from the chaff!!  This is what I now do.  If I didn't, I would never read anything on Roadfood again!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6902
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/17 20:55:07 (permalink)
    Dale,
    Don't let one IDIOT stop you from doing reviews. 
    And I totally agree with what Greymo said.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4042
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/17 21:47:30 (permalink)
    WanderingJew,
    First of all, that certainly does not qualify as a "review" and the moderators/editors should remove it immediately. Yes, "yellow cheese" is not common in authentic dishes from Mexico, but it is very common in authentic Tex-Mex and Cal-Mex versions. Now I'd like to see him eat and comment on the lengua or menudo, which are both as authentic as you can get I'm sure. Mexican food has so many variations these days within the US and Mexico that it does not make sense for him to comment like that and just shows a lack of knowledge on his part.

He is entitled to his opinion of course, but that's why threads can be found or opened on subjects like that for discussion. Review means only one thing----a report of a restaurant by the reviewer who has eaten there.

Keep doin' what you're doin'.

Ed
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5099
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/17 22:05:58 (permalink)
    WJ, I read your review and found it honest and informative, and based on your track record I have no reason to question its accuracy.  The current version of the "rebuttal review" appears to have been edited down to a single line about the authenticity of yellow cheese, and that certainly could've (and probably should've) been posted here in the forum as an honest and politely worded question.

I suspect that in a little under 2 months you may find yourself trapped in Cincinnati by people who aren't going to let you give up so easily...
    post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2014/02/17 23:02:57
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4253
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/17 22:34:40 (permalink)
    You suspect correctly.

Don't let one crank (or even a bunch of them) force you away from doing something you enjoy and care about.

The internet is full of boneheads.  Ignore them.

Buddy
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/17 22:54:20 (permalink)
    You need a thicker skin, WJ

That said, question to BB: I see like 5 "reviews" from this guy (http://www.roadfood.com/Member/61213/terry-hasek) and they are all 1 or 2 sentences, and not written in "roadfood style".  How did these actually get published as roadfood "reviews"?  They're more like really poor urbanspoon entries

I had come to believe prior to today that a review only gets posted when it is well written, detailed, uses roadfood-style prose, and is accompanied with illustrative high quality photos

oh, and about
    ScreamingChicken
    in a little under 2 months you may find yourself trapped in Cincinnati by people who aren't going to let you give up so easily...
    If one is looking for shredded yellow cheese, come ye come ye to Cincinnati :-)
    post edited by TJ Jackson - 2014/02/17 22:56:42
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10287
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/17 23:20:57 (permalink)
    This jerk does not even have Mexican Restaurants in his list of 10 Favorite types of restaurants. What makes him an expert on Mexican food when he doesn't even list it as one of his favorites????
    WJ
    This guys comment is so ignorant, you should not even consider his stupid comment for one second. Keep posting Bro!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2014/02/17 23:22:05
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18493
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/17 23:30:44 (permalink)
    TJ Jackson

If one is looking for shredded yellow cheese, come ye come ye to Cincinnati :-)

And will you be joining us when we all come to Cincinnati?
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/18 16:30:36 (permalink)
    Reading it as if I'd just come across it, your writing appears well reasoned and worth paying attention to, and his appears infantile and not worth the effort to consider, let alone remember.

It stands for itself. If I were you I'd laugh and go about my business as if nothing happened.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3736
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/18 17:02:42 (permalink)
    You are right.  When I read his "review" on Durgin Park, I immediately figured out that he is a real loser.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4042
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/18 18:00:08 (permalink)
    To me, the most interesting thing so far is that myterry has not come onto this thread to give us his side of the controversy. 
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8389
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/18 18:09:58 (permalink)
    Perhaps myterry has been admonished and is staying away. WJ, just keep going.....
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13510
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/18 18:22:17 (permalink)
    I know Dale and I like him.  I am somewhat surprised Dale became upset over a post.  We all have had negative responses to our post.  Personally as a moderator I have had numerous.  If I were Dale, I would just write it up to a issue and truck on.  Myterry does not post often or as well ad Dale and many other members.  Dale has done some beautiful post with pics and foods during his Roadfood adventures and I am sure that he will let this go and continue as he has always done.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/19 07:20:34 (permalink)
    Please continue to post wanderingjew, and just ignore the "nattering nabobs of negativism".

Some may derive no benefit from what you write, but many, many more will enjoy your reviews.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2647
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/19 08:13:09 (permalink)
    Dale,

Here's my tip. Be the biggest blank-hole on Roadfood and no one will bother you. It works for me.

I eagerly await your "Great Burger (within walking distance of my house) of the Month" thread. You can be to RI burgers what ScreamingChicken is to WI fried chicken.

Jim
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2950
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/19 08:51:30 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

I know Dale and I like him.  I am somewhat surprised Dale became upset over a post.  We all have had negative responses to our post.  Personally as a moderator I have had numerous.  If I were Dale, I would just write it up to a issue and truck on.  Myterry does not post often or as well ad Dale and many other members.  Dale has done some beautiful post with pics and foods during his Roadfood adventures and I am sure that he will let this go and continue as he has always done.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 

Absolutely agree!  Chin up, soldier on...

easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/19 14:23:15 (permalink)
    WJ, I don't comment much on any of the trip reports, but that's just because....I have always thought yours were head and shoulders above many, and the extras you include make the report for a real trip, not only restaurants.

There are a few reporters at the real top of the pyramid, and you are right there with them.

I would hate to see you stop.  
    harriet1954
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1162
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/19 15:40:45 (permalink)
    WJ! Because of ONE PERSON? You'd better not!
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/19 17:54:50 (permalink)
    easydoesit
    There are a few reporters at the real top of the pyramid, and you are right there with them.

My thoughts exactly.
    RKB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/20 12:39:46 (permalink)
    Davebassman

easydoesit

My thoughts exactly.

+1. I enjoy your reviews. Please don't give up.
    Bill
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4612
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/20 16:02:07 (permalink)
    Nobody does a better job at trip reports than Dale.  Yet, I understand ... I lost all my enthusiasm for creating arduous trip reports after being chastised by one too many posters (many of which I assume never leave their house, let alone contribute anything.)  I applaud Dale for his fortitude.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8389
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/20 18:15:31 (permalink)
    I guess why, any of you, would let a few people bother you? Unless 90% of your trips, posts, are negative, why? My Mom taught me years ago that not everyone you meet will like you. I live by that.
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/26 12:21:11 (permalink)
    Come on Wandering Jew don't let the insult favorite spanish insult here get you down.We all enjoy your posts and keep up the good work. Here in San Antonio you find mexican places like Los Generales that uses both mexican cheese(Queso Blanco) and yellow cheese.It depends on what they making in regards to the dish.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7849
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/26 18:18:57 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for your support. I consider all of you my roadfood friends.

And a big thank you to Buddyroadhouse specifically who sent me some very encouraging e-mails- I think Buddy missed his calling and should have been a motivational speaker- although his Roadhouse BBQ sauce is no slouch either.

It wasn't the criticism that got me- it was a personal slam for someone who clearly doesn't like me (for no particular reason) There have been at least two restaurant reviews posted since mine that includes photos of "shredded yellow cheese" and it's interesting that we haven't heard a peep from Myterry2
    I am surprised that hasn't come to this thread to defend himself, or explain why he had to insult the Sterns and Ayersian in his pm to me. 
    I know there are plenty of nuts out there, and sometimes there is no rhyme or reason why some do what they do

I'll be taking my next trip the last weekend in March. Perhaps there will be a trip report.

In the interim I will start  what's been unfinished for 2013- A  very abbreviated best of list....

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/26 18:32:48 (permalink)
    So you like undercooked pizza veggies now ?
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 633
    Re:And this is why I've stoppped posting trip reports and restaurant reviews 2014/02/27 04:53:13 (permalink)
    I'll be taking my next trip the last weekend in March. Perhaps there will be a trip report.

I hope so. I dont post much, but I really enjoy your reviews.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1