Andersons vs Abbotts frozen custard: no contes

Author
bethgrd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 320
2009/09/27 12:15:46 (permalink)

Andersons vs Abbotts frozen custard: no contes

Had the frozen custard at Andersons in Buffalo last weekend; very rich and creamy tasting ; loved it. Had the chocolate with a topping of caramel.
There is an Abbotts of Rochester in Needham MA since last year; was hankering for more frozen custard and stopped down; it is nowhere as creamy or rich tasting as Andersons; no contest. I wouldn't go back. It was nothing special.  Wish Andersons was here instead.
What do others think?
beth

9 Replies Related Threads

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Andersons vs Abbotts frozen custard: no contes 2009/09/27 12:19:32 (permalink)
    I was just thinking about this.  My experience on the Roadfood tour last weekend was just the opposite.  I thought the Abbott's chocolate/almond cone in Rochester was one of the greats, and the vanilla cone from Anderson's in Buffalo the next day was good but not great.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:Andersons vs Abbotts frozen custard: no contes 2009/09/27 13:37:19 (permalink)
    Generally you cannot go wrong at either place, or at least that is what I have found.  You may have an occasion where one is better than the other, but either place provides very good ice cream.  I would attribute any differences to the variations you experience between visits to places.  A trip to Ted's for a hot dog and then to Anderson's for ice cream, or a stop at LDR Char Pit for a steak sandwich and then an Abbott's frozen custard?  Whichever one you select makes for a good experience.   Relating the differences to another Roadfood experience, I would say that comparing the two is like determining who has better pizza: Pepe's or Modern.  Both are good, sometimes one is better, but I am happy with either choice.  Same for Anderson's and Abbott's.
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    Re:Andersons vs Abbotts frozen custard: no contes 2009/09/27 14:38:27 (permalink)
    For me, the problem is apples vs. oranges or, in this case, Abbott's chocolate almond vs. Anderson's vanilla. I loved them both, and they're too different to compare.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2130
    Re:Andersons vs Abbotts frozen custard: no contes 2009/09/27 14:56:12 (permalink)
    I have also found the Abbott's in Rochester (the original) is superior to it's franchises.  I have had the chocolate and vanilla at both Anderson's and Abbott's and would give a slight edge to Rochester.
    katherinecurry
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:Andersons vs Abbotts frozen custard: no contes 2009/09/27 18:49:22 (permalink)
    Abbott's wins hands down, in my book, for its superior texture. More voluptuously custard-y.  Not that I thought Anderson's was bad, mind you--it was pretty terrific.  Oh my...I just checked Abbott's website and there's a franchise 17 minutes from my house.  Back later!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3006
    Re:Andersons vs Abbotts frozen custard: no contes 2009/09/27 20:15:13 (permalink)
    I enjoyed both but would pick Abbott's by a nose.  Now, if we bring Kopp's into the mix...all bets are off.
    katherinecurry
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:Andersons vs Abbotts frozen custard: no contes 2009/10/04 19:22:10 (permalink)
    An update: This afternoon, I managed to visit the Abbott's franchise near me.  Today was the last day of the season before the owner closes for the winter.  Drat!  It's located in Shrub Oak, NY, which is about 12 miles from me in Northern Westchester County (north of NYC).  Very nice guy, Bobby, owns it.  I had the chocolate, with almonds as a topping (as opposed to mixed in and called "chocolate almond," I guess...).  My daughter had a vanilla cone.  I cannot adequately compare to the Rochester Abbott's--there I had vanilla, and fell in love with the seasonal pumpkin custard (unavailable at this location).  The vanilla here--what little my daughter let me taste--was comparable to Rochester.  The chocolate I had was perfect in consistency, good flavor, and the almonds were quite crunchy and a little salty.  Since this is the only Abbott's anywhere near us in NY State, I'm thrilled to have found it.  And further comparisons to the original will have to wait until spring!
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2130
    Re:Andersons vs Abbotts frozen custard: no contes 2009/10/04 21:37:54 (permalink)
    Wow, that's great news about the Abbott's in Westchester (not so great news about it closing for the season today!)  I'll definitely be heading up there when it opens in the Spring.
    NC Cheesehead
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re:Andersons vs Abbotts frozen custard: no contes 2009/10/04 21:44:17 (permalink)
    All of you NY folks need to head west to America's Dairyland.  I have never had better frozen custard than the custard in Wisconsin.  Just read the reviews right here on this web site.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1