Andy Rooney Video:Fair & Balanced !

Author
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
2006/03/06 01:31:05 (permalink)

Andy Rooney Video:Fair & Balanced !

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/02/60minutes/rooney/main1363712.shtml

Why can't we do anything ourselves anymore ?

7 Replies Related Threads

saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: Andy Rooney Video:Fair & Balanced ! 2006/03/06 13:12:03 (permalink)
    Anybody who has a remote idea of how the global trade system works understands why clothes are made in China, and why outsourcing occurs in developing economies as well as the advantages of using resources in developing economies and the costs of doing the same business in mature economies such as the U.S.

Andy Rooney has been around for a while. He knows how it works. He's just ignoring facts in order to create or sensationalize a story. The only rocks here are in his head.

Typically, organizations outsource for competitive or strategic advantage. It's a question of economic feasibility. If it's not a core competency or not a good use of a company's resources (i.e. you can use the same resources for a better return on another project), then you consider outsourcing. If you don't your underemploying your available resources as well as negatively impacting your domestic economy

Rooney is too busy trying to be cute for 5 minutes of a show; he's paid to entertain, not educate- That's what he's been doing for years.

His commentary in this case is fair and balanced, as well as benign and lacking in any useful information.

stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Andy Rooney Video:Fair & Balanced ! 2006/03/07 23:01:31 (permalink)
    I think Andy and I have a returning fan ! Like Rush,Sean,Imus,Howard, and Springer it doesn't matter whether you hate us as long read, watch, and listen and you certainly do that. Good job....Michael Savage
    saps
    RE: Andy Rooney Video:Fair & Balanced ! 2006/03/07 23:46:23 (permalink)
    Stevencarry-

I don't hate you and haven't paid attention to Andy Rooney for years (personally, I thought he was retired, and his comments on outsourcing are just evidence that he should). Andy Rooney either has no idea what he is talking about or he has just chosen to ignore the facts in order to be cute.

A lot of people misunderstand outsourcing and global trade, protectionism, and the like. Guys like Rooney offer no clarity on the subject. I guess I can't tell if he's trying to be funny or intelligent, because he isn't pulling either off, and I've never considered him to be controversial, although I've never been much of a 60 Minutes guy. Maybe I jut don't get Andy Rooney.

stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Andy Rooney Video:Fair & Balanced ! 2006/03/08 00:09:04 (permalink)
    He is cute, and mentioned if CBS outsourced his job to Anwar Rooney he'd be in trouble. What I got out of it besides pure comedy (don't you have a sense of humor?) was not about cheap t-shirts from Saipan but our major ports. The British have been running them and now United Arab Emerites, The point...Gosh can't we run anything ourselves. I think Americans should run American ports. Don't you.
    Try watching the video again with the intent to be entertained and at the same time be forced to think about things.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1984
    RE: Andy Rooney Video:Fair & Balanced ! 2006/03/08 10:51:06 (permalink)
    The subject needs debate, and he may have added to it. I wonder how many people didn't even know of the issue before he told us? I suspect that at least 80 or 90% of 60 Min viewers already knew. It was not his best blurb.

I have heard good arguements on both sides of the port issue, and I have yet to make up my own mind. I do wonder, though, why a British company (Virgin is in the news now)can not own 51% of a USA airline, but a British (and maybe Arab) company can run our largest ports. Our few major ports are far more of a monopoly than the US airline biz.
    saps
    RE: Andy Rooney Video:Fair & Balanced ! 2006/03/08 11:27:42 (permalink)
    Andy Rooney was probably funny back when he was still wearing cloth underwear and the Rolling Stones were actually good. I have a very good sense of humor, but if you think Andy Rooney is funny, then we're just operating in two different realms of humor, which is fine. I prefer Jon Stewart to Rooney's ramblings, but then again I think SpongeBob is hilarious too.

Even Andy Rooney admits that he doesn't know that much about the ports deal, and I haven't focused on the mechanics of the deal itself.

If American organizations haven't developed the expertise to run their own ports, they are not going to develop it overnight. Given the present environment, I would prefer not to have an Arab owned organization run our ports. Then again, I'm stereotyping when I say that. If all of the due diligence is done correctly, I don't think there is that much of a problem with outsiders running our ports.

Conversely, you could have an American owned company staffed by Arabs running the ports. So what then?

We have to realize that we operate in a global economy. We no longer exist in a vacuum, and our national economy, which is still powerful, is just one piece in global trade. The things that I said about outsourcing earlier still stand in this situation.
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Andy Rooney Video:Fair & Balanced ! 2006/03/08 12:58:17 (permalink)
    saps, Jon Stewart is king, and I loved that cowboy montage on the oscar show.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1