The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Angus Cheeseburgers

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 31
Author Message
John A

  • Total Posts: 4295
  • Joined: 1/27/2006
  • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Angus Cheeseburgers Tue, 08/29/06 7:36 AM (permalink)
My wife and I were in Sam’s the other day, she tried a sample of their frozen Angus Cheeseburgers and thought they were pretty good. Since I brownbag it a couple of times a week I bought some to take to work once in a while. Had one yesterday, it was bigger and better than the FF burgers, cheaper too. Each sandwich is a total of 5.9 oz, eight to a carton, for about $9.00.

Edited to add: next time I will take some onion and a kosher pickle to go with it.

John
 
#1
    SassyGritsAL

    • Total Posts: 1089
    • Joined: 10/27/2005
    • Location: Huntsville, AL
    RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Tue, 08/29/06 2:59 PM (permalink)
    Did you microwave them? This sounds good to me, as I am always looking for something different to take for lunch.
     
    #2
      John A

      • Total Posts: 4295
      • Joined: 1/27/2006
      • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
      RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Tue, 08/29/06 5:27 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by SassyGritsAL

      Did you microwave them? This sounds good to me, as I am always looking for something different to take for lunch.


      Yes, cut the end off the package and nuke for 60 seconds.

      John
       
      #3
        roossy90

        • Total Posts: 6695
        • Joined: 8/15/2005
        • Location: columbus, oh
        RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Tue, 08/29/06 5:41 PM (permalink)
        Are they pre-cooked?...I am always looking for GOOD pre cooked burgers.
        I get some now from Schwans..I used to get them from Hannafords while in Maine, and cant find any down here..
        It was a Hannaford private label.
        Being one person, its easier to do that than buy the meat and make patties, and then have to cook them.
        (time to flame me)
         
        #4
          John A

          • Total Posts: 4295
          • Joined: 1/27/2006
          • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
          RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Wed, 08/30/06 6:57 AM (permalink)
          They are pre-cooked. Not as good as homemade but I do not have the time, or desire, to make burgers at work. Lunch is 10-15 minutes eating a sandwich at my desk, hence brown bagging, or the 7-11 across the street.
           
          #5
            BearHit

            • Total Posts: 57
            • Joined: 11/16/2005
            • Location: Moorestown, NJ
            RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Wed, 08/30/06 7:57 AM (permalink)
            Oh yes - the kids love them!

            Costco has them as well. We do a 45 second nuke - then flip it (still in wrapper - but open on one end) then 40-45 on the other side.

            Quick and easy and VERY tasty!
             
            #6
              ocdreamr

              • Total Posts: 1109
              • Joined: 3/12/2003
              • Location: Wilmington, NC
              RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Wed, 08/30/06 8:37 AM (permalink)
              roosy,

              they also make a slight smaller version (4.8) available at Loew's & Harris Teeter here in Wilmington. My sister put me on to these, she gets them up in Baltimore.
               
              #7
                roossy90

                • Total Posts: 6695
                • Joined: 8/15/2005
                • Location: columbus, oh
                RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Fri, 09/1/06 1:29 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by ocdreamr

                roosy,

                they also make a slight smaller version (4.8) available at Loew's & Harris Teeter here in Wilmington. My sister put me on to these, she gets them up in Baltimore.

                It seems a day trip to Wilmington is in store then.
                You are only 60 miles away..
                Been about 10 years since I was there,....
                Since there arent and of those stores here.
                Thanks, OC!
                 
                #8
                  baconman

                  • Total Posts: 33
                  • Joined: 8/16/2006
                  • Location: gaithersburg, MD
                  RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Fri, 09/1/06 7:17 PM (permalink)
                  Microwaved Burger precooked, MMMMMMMMM !
                   
                  #9
                    ocdreamr

                    • Total Posts: 1109
                    • Joined: 3/12/2003
                    • Location: Wilmington, NC
                    RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Fri, 09/1/06 7:27 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by baconman

                    Microwaved Burger precooked, MMMMMMMMM !


                    Let me tell you, while Ernesto was coming through here yesterday I was d*** glad for them!! Would I have rather gone out for a real grilled burger? Sure, but the flooding in the street kind of made that impossible, so you make do until you can.
                     
                    #10
                      Adjudicator

                      • Total Posts: 5055
                      • Joined: 5/20/2003
                      • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                      RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Fri, 09/1/06 7:54 PM (permalink)
                      Ernesto. A wimp. We got zilch rain from same. Dissapointed; mucho.
                       
                      #11
                        ocdreamr

                        • Total Posts: 1109
                        • Joined: 3/12/2003
                        • Location: Wilmington, NC
                        RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Fri, 09/1/06 8:16 PM (permalink)
                        we got over 11 inches and winds gusting to 75 MPH not a huge storm I grant you but it sure caused some flooding around here.
                         
                        #12
                          MandalayVA

                          • Total Posts: 367
                          • Joined: 11/6/2004
                          • Location: Richmond, VA
                          RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Fri, 09/1/06 8:16 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Adjudicator

                          Ernesto. A wimp. We got zilch rain from same. Dissapointed; mucho.


                          You're more than welcome to come up here and enjoy the wind and rain. Also the downed trees.
                           
                          #13
                            CheeseWit

                            • Total Posts: 1393
                            • Joined: 4/10/2003
                            • Location: West Chester, PA
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Fri, 09/1/06 8:20 PM (permalink)
                            I've had these angus cheeseburgers, bought them at Costco, and was pleased with the product. In fact, I have an unopened box in my freezer.

                            When you think of microwaved burgers, Stewart sandwiches come to mind. These are light years ahead of those.
                             
                            #14
                              roossy90

                              • Total Posts: 6695
                              • Joined: 8/15/2005
                              • Location: columbus, oh
                              RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Sat, 09/2/06 3:26 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Adjudicator

                              Ernesto. A wimp. We got zilch rain from same. Dissapointed; mucho.

                              I wont say it..I am thinking of lots of things, but I am keeping my big fat mouth shut here!

                              ( and ya know I love ya, Adjudicator.. well sometimes..when ya post those fat pics of CB sandwiches)
                               
                              #15
                                Mack184

                                • Total Posts: 252
                                • Joined: 8/7/2006
                                • Location: Foster Twp., PA
                                RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Sat, 09/2/06 10:43 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by CheeseWit

                                I've had these angus cheeseburgers, bought them at Costco, and was pleased with the product. In fact, I have an unopened box in my freezer.

                                When you think of microwaved burgers, Stewart sandwiches come to mind. These are light years ahead of those.

                                Stewart Sandwiches! I hadn't thought of those in years. I remember there was a bar that I used to go to a long time ago, and the only real "food" they served were Stewart Sandiwches. After several drinks, you'd think you'd been served the finest food on the planet. If eaten while sober..well...
                                 
                                #16
                                  CheeseWit

                                  • Total Posts: 1393
                                  • Joined: 4/10/2003
                                  • Location: West Chester, PA
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Sat, 09/2/06 10:52 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Mack184

                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by CheeseWit

                                  I've had these angus cheeseburgers, bought them at Costco, and was pleased with the product. In fact, I have an unopened box in my freezer.

                                  When you think of microwaved burgers, Stewart sandwiches come to mind. These are light years ahead of those.

                                  Stewart Sandwiches! I hadn't thought of those in years. I remember there was a bar that I used to go to a long time ago, and the only real "food" they served were Stewart Sandiwches. After several drinks, you'd think you'd been served the finest food on the planet. If eaten while sober..well...


                                  Ain't that the truth!!
                                   
                                  #17
                                    ann peeples

                                    • Total Posts: 8317
                                    • Joined: 5/21/2006
                                    • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                    RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Sat, 09/2/06 10:56 AM (permalink)
                                    Stewart sandwiches were the best!!!!!!!!!!!
                                     
                                    #18
                                      Fieldthistle

                                      • Total Posts: 1948
                                      • Joined: 7/30/2005
                                      • Location: Hinton, VA
                                      RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Sat, 09/2/06 12:15 PM (permalink)
                                      Hello All,
                                      At work we have the Angus Burgers in the vending machines from time to time. They go fast, while some
                                      items stay there until they turn green. I've never had one because of the price, $2.00. The
                                      people that have eaten them love them.
                                      Stewart products were great. I remember they made a great small pizza.
                                      Take Care,
                                      Fieldthistle
                                       
                                      #19
                                        John A

                                        • Total Posts: 4295
                                        • Joined: 1/27/2006
                                        • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
                                        RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Sat, 09/2/06 6:43 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by baconman

                                        Microwaved Burger precooked, MMMMMMMMM !


                                        I think you missed the point.

                                        John
                                         
                                        #20
                                          oltheimmer

                                          • Total Posts: 214
                                          • Joined: 6/25/2006
                                          • Location: Houston, TX
                                          RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Thu, 09/7/06 4:07 PM (permalink)
                                          I was impressed with a sample taste I got at Sam's a couple of years ago and have bought them a couple of times. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in what I'm doing I don't want to break the concentration by stopping to fix a meal much less go out and something like that is an easy, quick snack, although they're better cooked from thawed and that's hard to plan ahead for.

                                          I've found, though, that I can get the bun almost too hot to handle, the cheese almost disintegrated, and still the center of the patty is cool. I usually take it apart after about 40 seconds and finish the patty separately, then doctor it up with more cheese, ketchup, salsa or whatever.
                                           
                                          #21
                                            V960

                                            • Total Posts: 2429
                                            • Joined: 6/17/2005
                                            • Location: Kannapolis area, NC
                                            RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Thu, 09/7/06 6:00 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by roossy90

                                            roosy,

                                            It seems a day trip to Wilmington is in store then.
                                            You are only 60 miles away..
                                            Been about 10 years since I was there,....
                                            Since there arent and of those stores here.
                                            Thanks, OC!



                                            make sure you hit Whitey's on Market St at lunch for the fried fresh spots. Only open for b'fast and lunch. I highly recommend the no smoking section in the back left of the place, unless you smoke and then you can sit in the front on the right and you don't even need to light up.
                                             
                                            #22
                                              John A

                                              • Total Posts: 4295
                                              • Joined: 1/27/2006
                                              • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
                                              RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Thu, 09/7/06 6:08 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by oltheimmer

                                              I was impressed with a sample taste I got at Sam's a couple of years ago and have bought them a couple of times. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in what I'm doing I don't want to break the concentration by stopping to fix a meal much less go out and something like that is an easy, quick snack, although they're better cooked from thawed and that's hard to plan ahead for.

                                              I've found, though, that I can get the bun almost too hot to handle, the cheese almost disintegrated, and still the center of the patty is cool. I usually take it apart after about 40 seconds and finish the patty separately, then doctor it up with more cheese, ketchup, salsa or whatever.


                                              I had the same problem from freezer to Microwave. They do much better out of the refrigerator, you can keep them refrigerated for up to 14 days. I put a couple at a time in the fridge and freeze the rest.

                                              John

                                               
                                              #23
                                                BearHit

                                                • Total Posts: 57
                                                • Joined: 11/16/2005
                                                • Location: Moorestown, NJ
                                                RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Fri, 09/8/06 7:44 AM (permalink)
                                                We got the microwave cook time down!
                                                For my oven, open one end of plastic wrapper, cook 45 seconds on one side, flip and cook 40 seconds on the other side.

                                                - let it cool for 30 seconds and it's perfect!
                                                 
                                                #24
                                                  roossy90

                                                  • Total Posts: 6695
                                                  • Joined: 8/15/2005
                                                  • Location: columbus, oh
                                                  RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Fri, 09/8/06 1:55 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by V960

                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by roossy90

                                                  roosy,

                                                  It seems a day trip to Wilmington is in store then.
                                                  You are only 60 miles away..
                                                  Been about 10 years since I was there,....
                                                  Since there arent and of those stores here.
                                                  Thanks, OC!



                                                  make sure you hit Whitey's on Market St at lunch for the fried fresh spots. Only open for b'fast and lunch. I highly recommend the no smoking section in the back left of the place, unless you smoke and then you can sit in the front on the right and you don't even need to light up.


                                                  ROFL..
                                                  Thanks V960....
                                                  I will put it on my list.
                                                  I am taking some time off in 10 days to go visit family in Danville, VA, and after that, will take the route thru Wilmington and down 17 to home.
                                                  A much deserved mini vacation!
                                                  Golf season will kick here in next week, and I am just now trying to recover from the madhouse that were summer vacationers...
                                                  This trip will do me good! (I hope)
                                                  (not to derail or anything....LOL)
                                                   
                                                  #25
                                                    mikebayh

                                                    • Total Posts: 1
                                                    • Joined: 9/8/2006
                                                    • Location: Arabi, LA
                                                    RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Fri, 09/8/06 3:00 PM (permalink)
                                                    Whatever happened to Stewart Sandwiches? They kind of just disappeared. I also miss the little pizzas they used to make.
                                                     
                                                    #26
                                                      John A

                                                      • Total Posts: 4295
                                                      • Joined: 1/27/2006
                                                      • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
                                                      RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Fri, 09/8/06 5:44 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by roossy90

                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by V960

                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by roossy90

                                                      roosy,

                                                      It seems a day trip to Wilmington is in store then.
                                                      You are only 60 miles away..
                                                      Been about 10 years since I was there,....
                                                      Since there arent and of those stores here.
                                                      Thanks, OC!



                                                      make sure you hit Whitey's on Market St at lunch for the fried fresh spots. Only open for b'fast and lunch. I highly recommend the no smoking section in the back left of the place, unless you smoke and then you can sit in the front on the right and you don't even need to light up.


                                                      ROFL..
                                                      Thanks V960....
                                                      I will put it on my list.
                                                      I am taking some time off in 10 days to go visit family in Danville, VA, and after that, will take the route thru Wilmington and down 17 to home.
                                                      A much deserved mini vacation!
                                                      Golf season will kick here in next week, and I am just now trying to recover from the madhouse that were summer vacationers...
                                                      This trip will do me good! (I hope)
                                                      (not to derail or anything....LOL)


                                                      Roosy,

                                                      Take a couple of the burgers with you in a cooler and throw them on your air filter when you get hungry. Just Kidding -

                                                      John
                                                       
                                                      #27
                                                        roossy90

                                                        • Total Posts: 6695
                                                        • Joined: 8/15/2005
                                                        • Location: columbus, oh
                                                        RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Sat, 09/9/06 5:43 PM (permalink)
                                                        LMAO
                                                         
                                                        #28
                                                          smdgeo

                                                          • Total Posts: 1
                                                          • Joined: 9/16/2006
                                                          • Location: virginia beach, VA
                                                          RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Sat, 09/16/06 9:39 AM (permalink)
                                                          Stewart's Sandwiches is no longer in business. They had a problem with a Lysteria outbreak in the mid-nineties and sales never recovered. I googled them to find out what happened to them, and below is the sad info. from an FDA site. (http://www.fda.gov/fdac/summarys/2000/600_sjs.html)

                                                          INJUNCTION ACTIONS
                                                          DEFENDANT: Stewart Sandwiches, Inc., at Norfolk, Va. (E.D. Va.); Civil Action No. 90-1344-N.
                                                          CHARGED 7-10-97: United States notified America's Foods, Inc. (AFI) in early 1997 that firm was successor and assign of Stewart Sandwiches, Inc. (Stewart) and operating out of compliance with consent decree. In July 1997, AFI agreed file together with United States, a Joint Motion to Grant Permissive Joiner and To Modify Consent Decree of Permanent Injunction.
                                                          DISPOSITION: Modified consent decree was entered on July 15, 1997. Thereafter, the sandwiches were destroyed, the firm shut down, and all assets were sold in bankruptcy. (Inj. No. 1233; S.J. No. 5)

                                                           
                                                          #29
                                                            MilwFoodlovers

                                                            • Total Posts: 3090
                                                            • Joined: 3/31/2001
                                                            • Location: Milwaukee, WI
                                                            RE: Angus Cheeseburgers Sat, 09/16/06 10:06 AM (permalink)
                                                            Stewart Polish sausages; outstanding sausage served with a crunchy bun that was gummy inside. That guminess was almost a deal killer but hey in those days you didn't have many options.
                                                             
                                                            #30
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 31

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com