Helpful ReplyHot!Annie's Adventures

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8362
2014/08/13 08:39:33 (permalink)

Annie's Adventures

Hello, my friends! Yes, I am alive and well. This past April, after much discussion with Bob, I decided to go on the road with him for awhile. I have had some great food, seen parts of the country I may not have ever seen in my lifetime, and simply experienced life as it happens. While being in a truck limits one to places to eat, we have managed to find some true treasures.
 We frequent truck stops more often than not, but some really do have one of a kind places attached to them, or places within walking distance. If I never see a roller hot dog again in my life, it would be too soon.
Stay tuned for my experiences!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/13 08:45:42 (permalink)
Ann

Glad to have you back
Looking forward to hearing about your adventures
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1001
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/13 09:46:36 (permalink)
Ann
Good to see you back!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6271
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/13 09:50:17 (permalink)
Can't wait to hear more.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5075
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/13 09:57:46 (permalink)
It's like a real-life version of Movin' On
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6821
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/13 10:20:24 (permalink)
Well!  It's about darn tootin time you checked in here, girl!  I heard you had run off to a lutefisk commune, shaved your head and had been crowned Goddess of Lye.  Sheesh.
Glad you're back on here.......looking forward to hearing of your travels.  What's for Dinner tonight is roller hot dogs, would invite you over, but..........maybe next time. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18447
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/13 11:41:54 (permalink)
Hi Annie. Really glad to see you back. Don't pay any attention to Lisa. Her roller dogs are great.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7903
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/13 11:42:17 (permalink)
Great to see you!

Hope to see or hear about some of your experiences.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2632
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/13 13:16:04 (permalink)
So why should I believe that you are the real Ann Peeples? The real Ann Peeples was sent away in the Witness Protection Program and is to remain silent for her own safety.
starfire62
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 240
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/13 22:30:07 (permalink)
ann if you go on facebook and look under groups theirs a good group called  support better independent truck stops.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4013
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/14 02:03:15 (permalink)
Good to see you back Ann!
pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2397
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/14 07:28:44 (permalink)
Ann, great to see your back, and your front. With you going on the road with Bob does he now have to split  his $3 food allowance with you ?............Sept 4th Seahawks/ Packers.........I can already hear the crowd yelling.......Good to see yah..............Bill
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/14 08:47:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2014/08/14 18:31:29
Good to see all of you again, too! Thanks starfire, for the site. And you are all still funny......
The choice to go with Bob became clear when we looked back on some facts-a horrid winter, my low paying, low hour job, and the fact that the home we were renting went into foreclosure. I could have gotten an apartment and continued on at Target, but really I was pretty unfulfilled. So, we put some stuff in storage, sold the other things, and took off on April 9th. How free I felt!
Bob does expedited trucking loads, which means when they call, he has to take off within the hour. i have been so near alot of you that I could practically reach out and touch you, but this type of trucking kind of put a damper on meeting up-but I am going to figure out a way.........
i apologize for no pictures at this point, and I cannot remember some of the names of places( I need to start writing this stuff down.
First off, while not Roadfood, I ate at some chains that we dont have in Wisconsin. Bob insisted I try Five Guys-while a good burger, I was a bit underwhelmed. This may have been to due the fact that I had ketchup, mustard, etc added, and I have decided that from now on, I will order burgers fairly unadorned as to get the true taste. We also ate at Waffle House, and of course enjoyed hashbrowns smothered and covered. Dennys has become a cheap breakfast stop-$2.00 for a biscuit and gravy with either hashbrowns or an egg. Acceptable food and we have a 10% trucker discount from them. We skip the coffee, however-expensive-and just share a giant mug from the truck stop.
Our first great food experience was at an independent truck stop near the Alabama/Tennessee border at midnight. The place was called the Tennesseen, and as soon as we stepped out of the truck, we smelled the bbq. Heaven! They indeed have a smokehouse, and we had to have some. They make their own sauce, mild, sweet or hot, and offered wonderful sides-pintos, cole slaw, greens, etc. Bob ordered the pulled pork sandwich and I ordered ribs, and they generously gave me all three sauces on the side( I wanted to taste the meat without sauce). Oh my, this was good stuff! The ribs were tender but with a good chew, and the pulled pork had bits of charred pieces mixed in the tender meat. All of the sauces were good-I noticed that alot of the sauces down south are a bit thinner than their northern gloppy cousins. A welcome change. We liked the hot sauce the best-not too hot, but enough heat that snuck up on you as an afterthought-and just the right amount of sweetness. Pintos were slow cooked with a good hunk of ham, as were the greens. Pretty average corn bread, though. We did make a repeat visit a month later, again getting ribs and decided to try the smoked chicken. Ribs as as good as ever, but the chicken was horrible. Very rubbery and very little smoke. I suspect they parboiled it, and stuck in the smoker for a short while. We threw it away. Lesson learned.
The little store attached had some fun food items-fried pies(cold) made by a local bakery. We bought a couple to share( cherry and pineapple). Better than Hostess fruit pies, but down the road we would find some truly wonderful fried pies.....
I will continue on soon-I want to jog my memory so i do not ramble.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/14 11:47:16 (permalink)
Ramble away, my dear. Just keep on posting.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15276
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/14 15:51:51 (permalink)
Annie , You are capturing the spirit of Roadfood that caught me when I 're-entered" bachelor-days' back in the early 80's. I found myself eating on-the-cheap with an early edition of RF on the seat of my VW Rabbit beside me. Using packets of condiments for much more than they were intended (Bloody Mary ingredients) and in some cases doing the foil-wrap cooking on the motor as I drove.  Great memories, but I would rather relive them reading your journel, thank you.
  Call anytime, and I do mean ANY HOUR you might be near by. We are a full service rest area !! The New Pups are anxious to meet you, and Demi cries for Bob nightly.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/14 18:05:37 (permalink)
I forgot to mention that among our chain stops was Big Boy( thanks Ohio). We of course ordered the original Big Boy burger-tasted the same to me as it did years ago. A wonderful taste memory!
We spent the majority of April and May south and east. The south was such a welcome relief from Wisconsin-warm and lush green flora and fauna. The problem we were finding was parking at restaurants-some even specifically have signs saying no trucks. I can understand high end fine dining establishments, but the restaurant industry is missing out on some income here-over the road drivers spend alot of money eating, and are happy to do so.
Our next fun find was across the street from our overnight stop in Priceville, Alabama.( Between Huntsville and Decatur) Actually two places. One was a bbq place in what looked like and old Dairy Queen called BBQ Smokehouse. We decided on a combo plate-chopped pork, chopped brisket, and ribs. Served with that were baked beans, cole slaw, potato wedges, turnip greens, grilled Texas toast and corn bread. $14.99! They offered 3 sauces, and we asked for all 3 of their choices on the side-regular, hot and a white sauce we had never tried. Again, with the exception of the white variety, the red sauces were of more of the east N.Carolina type. They were ok-I thought they both lacked flavor, but certainly didnt take away from the taste of the meat. We enjoyed the white sauce( wishing we had ordered chicken) but it didnt get much use after our initial taste. Bob absolutely loved the pork and brisket-bits of char in both and seasoned with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and garlic. The ribs were awesome-tender, smoky with that chew I love so much.( by the way there was so much food we took the rest to go-so we ate twice for that 14.99) The cole slaw was the simplest, best stuff I have had. Simply shredded cabbage( freshly shredded) vinegar and sugar. Corn bread was ok, beans reminded me of doctored up pork and beans-but well executed, and the greens cooked with chunks of pork. It was a popular place at lunch, including some trustees from the local jail who were out on work release( their  shirts announcing who they were; they were with some of the guards.) God Bless the south!
Directly next door was Miss Minnies Diner-a sign in the window announced soul food-and I knew I was in for a treat.Food served cafeteria style, you picked a meat, two sides and a roll or corn bread for $7.99. That included a refillable drink. I thought it a tad expensive, but often restaurants raise their prices because its near a truck stop. No matter-I would eat there everyday if I could! Bob chose a chopped beef steak in gravy-absolutey homemade patty drenched in wonderful rich brown gravy, real mashed potatoes, bi color corn( scraped fresh off an ear retrieved from the field behind the restaurant) and a roll. The corn flirted with the notion of the creamed variety and was melt in your mouth. I chose the corn, collard greens( cooked in turkey broth a sign announced) and fried chicken, along with the corn bread. This was eye rolling, low moaning, fabulous fried chicken. Light as air breading and seasoned just so-I detected black pepper, seasoned salt and a hint of garlic. And juicy! No extra salt and pepper needed. Note to Lisa Lee-as you know Bob doesnt like fried chicken, and after a taste he said he would order it next time! Great, simple mis matched tables and chairs and decor, Miss Minnies will be a repeat stop.
More later, my friends!
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4530
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/14 18:32:39 (permalink)
Miss you Ann!  Nice to hear from you.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/15 00:38:27 (permalink)
Annie, next time you're headed for Miss Minnies let me know, I'll hog tie MH and bring him there and perhaps he, too, will realize that fried chicken is good!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/15 06:32:22 (permalink)
Lisa, Next week MH can order something else if he wants to, but if he tries a sample of Huber's Chicken or the Chicken Livers, He'll convert on the spot.  
   Annie, give us an approximate current location when you post your journal entries, so we can track your travels.
al
TnTinCT
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 481
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/15 09:33:42 (permalink)
Happy to hear about the Alabama stop - my sister lives in Athens (right near Huntsville), so those are going on the list for my next trip!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/15 10:54:50 (permalink)
Al, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/16 08:37:11 (permalink)
Bob and I have been in Milwaukee this week, having the truck repaired. Today we leave for Georgia, so this is goodbye for now. I have so much more to share, but when the boss says go, we go! i will try and update as I travel.
Our favorite stop is in Warsaw, Indiana on hwy 30-Schoops. Its a small silver diner, and the owner grinds his own beef daily. On our first stop, we tried the cheeseburgers-7 oz. of pure bovine heaven. The outside of the burgers were slightly charred and crispy, and the rest was just tender goodness. On our 2nd visit. we shared a bpt and an order of the Irish nachos. The bpt was huge, of course, but very tender and slightly seasoned breading. The Irish nachos are french fries, cheese sauce ranch dressing and REAL crumbled bacon and scallions. This combo works, my friends. Even when they got cold, they were excellent. I mention this place now because we will probably hit it again on the way to Georgia-we want to try the mushroom swiss burger with grilled onions. The owner is a neat guy, talking to us on the first visit and welcoming us back on our next.
Bon Appetit, my friends, and will see you soon!
pnwchef
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/08/16 19:35:49 (permalink)
Ann, you best stay out of the Pacific Northwest! Unless, you can count to 12..........
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/09/02 09:11:24 (permalink)
We really have a beautiful country, and I am so glad Bob and I got to share this experience together.( However, I dont care how much you love someone, being with them in a confined space 24 hours a day can get EXHAUSTING!) But the tides have turned in our favor, and Bob got a local trucking job, so we are back in Milwaukee.  I will look for work when we find a place to live, hopefully within walking distance or a short bus ride. But back to my thoughts about my adventure..........
I was in 28 states total, some numerous times, so I got to see the beauty in all of them. This was not so much  a roadfood experience as I had hoped, but after all, Bob was working. We went thru some great named towns( Chunky, Miss., Bovina, Miss. ,Tightwad and Peculiar Missouri to name a couple) We saw a cross dressing truck driver( loved his Hello Kitty purse and pearl necklace) We fell in love with Herrs potato chips( cheddar horseradish knocked my socks off) We managed to, literally avoid most of the bad storms that plagued parts of the country, and had some heartbreaking  experiences as well.( Our truck was broken into in Dallas-smashed drivers side window and windshield-stole my clothes and other things-all can be replaced.....and the death of another dear friend-committed suicide in the same manner Robin Williams did-so we had to return to Wisconsin pronto from Tennessee).
I got to see the ocean, many major rivers( imo, the Tennessee is the prettiest, but the James was amazing) and simply meet some very neat people from around the country. While Bob was delivering in Manhattan. I was able to window shop and buy some fantastic bagels. I saw more mountains than I ever have( who knew eastern Oklahoma was so full of such steep, high ones?) We had excellent Chamberlin peaches from a stand just outside of Pittsburgh( BB-I really  liked  Pittsburgh-cool, cool city!) and juice dripping on your chin peaches in South Carolina. Delaware afforded us our first Birch Beer, and Oklahoma our first experience with freshly made, hot fried pies in Arbuckle Mountain. I do not regret the choice I made, but I am happy to be home again. 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5075
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/09/02 10:08:33 (permalink)
Despite the downs along the way (my condolences for your friend) the ups made an excellent addition to your life's resume!
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2014/09/02 10:09:57
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/09/02 11:39:03 (permalink)
Welcome Back, Young Lady (and Bob, too). We hope that once you get 'settled in' a bit, you'll have time to rejoin the active group here. We've missed your friendly conversations.  al & Jan
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/09/02 11:44:17 (permalink)
I certainly have a lot to catch up on here!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/09/02 11:49:16 (permalink)
Looking forward to you catching up. Welcome home.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/09/02 12:34:53 (permalink)
ann peeples
We had excellent Chamberlin peaches from a stand just outside of Pittsburgh( BB-I really  liked  Pittsburgh-cool, cool city!)   
We think so too.  No doubt that one of the reasons I fell in love with Milwaukee on my first visit years ago, is because the two cities are so similar.

pnwchef
Re: Annie's Adventures 2014/09/02 13:11:57 (permalink)
Ann, Sorry, I can't talk to you until Friday.............

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1