Another CT trip: Pepe's, Swanky Franks, Rawley's, Ashley's, Modern Apizza, Donut Dip

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
Re:Another CT trip: Pepe's, Swanky Franks, Rawley's, Ashley's, Modern Apizza, Donut Dip 2009/05/23 09:09:01 (permalink)
Ellen,

You are being way too kind.  I just sort of lucked out with the photographs and am still learning how to take them in different lighting conditions.  The ones that you, Chris, Billboy, Buffetbuster, Wanderingjew, and many more are much better than mine.  Nocarolina has a bunch of great ones that we should be seeing now that he has mastered the posting process.

I did read your reports about the visits with Doggydaddy and Rpalmer and found them very interesting.  It was so cool actually to go to places where others had been, although it's hard for me to add anything original.

Thanks again.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:Another CT trip: Pepe's, Swanky Franks, Rawley's, Ashley's, Modern Apizza, Donut Dip 2009/05/23 10:09:05 (permalink)
Buffalo Tarheel

I missed the report the first time around since I was out West on vacation at the time.

I haven't been to Swanky Franks in a while. The last time I stopped in Norwalk a few weeks ago on the way out to New Jersey, Swanky Franks was closed (I ended up with a good spinach/chicken salad) at the nearby diner instead which was probably a good thing for me.

I've never been to Modern, but I've been to Pepe's albeit 6 years ago. That's another place that I definetely need to return to- Those "Apizza's" look amazing!
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Another CT trip: Pepe's, Swanky Franks, Rawley's, Ashley's, Modern Apizza, Donut Dip 2009/05/24 20:13:12 (permalink)
WJ,

Thanks very much.  I really enjoyed your trip report from the West and am amazed at how much you accomplished.   Reading your reports and those of the other veterans shows me what a piker I still am.  I really enjoyed the appizas at Modern and Pepe's and look forward to my next trip to the area.   Hope to see you at the Buffalo / Rochester bus trip this September.
Freddies Mommy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
Re:Another CT trip: Pepe's, Swanky Franks, Rawley's, Ashley's, Modern Apizza, Donut Dip 2009/05/26 11:15:37 (permalink)
Nice write up.  We are spending a few Days in New Haven soon and I will be trying Ashley's.  I am surprised you did not try Sally's Apizza.  I think their pizza is far better then Pepe's.  I do have to say that as a poster asked...  this pizza is not at all like lombardi's,  the crust is more floppy at Sally's and Pepe's then Lombardi's which is really thin and Crispy.  Lombardi's is really good too. 
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Another CT trip: Pepe's, Swanky Franks, Rawley's, Ashley's, Modern Apizza, Donut Dip 2009/05/26 20:30:20 (permalink)
Freddies Mommy,

Thanks for the note and welcome to Roadfood.  I did not have a chance to try Sally's but was quite pleased with Pepe's (Manchester location) and Modern.  I suspect that I will not try Sally's just because of their reputation for somewhat brusque service.  It may be very good pizza, and of that fact I have little doubt.  However, what I have read here and on other sites makes me think that I would probably not stick around because the service or lack thereof would be aggravating.  I might lose my Roadfood stripes for this, but no food is worth bad service as far as I am concerned.  Then again, one day I might be in New Haven, stop at Sally's, have a great meal, and update this post with "Never mind."
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Another CT trip: Pepe's, Swanky Franks, Rawley's, Ashley's, Modern Apizza, Donut Dip 2009/05/27 06:47:24 (permalink)
Buffalo Tarheel:

Great report and photos!  I should have ordered a chili dog and fries and Swanky Franks.  I meant to stop at Rawley's, but forgot about it until I was already in Stamford, and the traffic was miserable on I-95.

So, are you to be the local host for the autumn Roadfood festival?
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Another CT trip: Pepe's, Swanky Franks, Rawley's, Ashley's, Modern Apizza, Donut Dip 2009/05/28 19:28:11 (permalink)
MiamiDon

Buffalo Tarheel:

Great report and photos!  I should have ordered a chili dog and fries and Swanky Franks.  I meant to stop at Rawley's, but forgot about it until I was already in Stamford, and the traffic was miserable on I-95.

So, are you to be the local host for the autumn Roadfood festival?

Hey Don,

Sorry to be so late in responding.  Thanks for the kind words about this report.  I really enjoyed the stops that Chris and I made.

I think that the RF staff has everything under control for the Buffalo trip, but I'll be glad to do anything I can to help or to show anyone around if they arrive early or stay later.  I am really looking forward to meeting all those who come.  Hope to see you there.

Rob
exsquidao
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 409
Re:Another CT trip: Pepe's, Swanky Franks, Rawley's, Ashley's, Modern Apizza, Donut Dip 2009/05/28 19:49:33 (permalink)
FYI Foxon Park is NOT in New Haven it is in the "Foxon" section of East Haven, and another BTW if you had gone a little further East on Rt. 80 you would have come across John and Maria's an excellant place for Apizza.
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Another CT trip: Pepe's, Swanky Franks, Rawley's, Ashley's, Modern Apizza, Donut Dip 2009/05/28 19:58:02 (permalink)
exsquidao

FYI Foxon Park is NOT in New Haven it is in the "Foxon" section of East Haven, and another BTW if you had gone a little further East on Rt. 80 you would have come across John and Maria's an excellant place for Apizza.

Cool!  Another good pizza place always sounds like a winner.  Unfortunately I was pretty full by the time we finished at Modern.  Of course, sitting here now at a great distance from any apizza places, I am wishing I had pushed myself to eat more or to visit another place.  (Of course Chris could remind me how I couldn't eat another bite, so that is wishful thinking on my part).  Thankfully there are other trips coming sometime before too long.  Thanks for the apizza recommendation.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1