The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Another Esquire list

Author Message
zataar

  • Total Posts: 1440
  • Joined: 4/5/2004
  • Location: kansas city, MO
Another Esquire list Wed, 02/13/08 6:37 PM (permalink)
Did anyone see this list in Esquire?

http://www.esquire.com/features/food-drink/sandwiches

I've eaten at only a few of the places listed. I was somewhat distressed to see Chik-Fil-A listed, but most of the others look quite good.
 
#1
    Russ Jackson

    • Total Posts: 2257
    • Joined: 11/28/2007
    • Location: Xenia
    RE: Another Esquire list Wed, 02/13/08 6:50 PM (permalink)
    Great article did you check out the recipes at the end?
    This one will be made this weekend...Russ

    http://www.esquire.com/features/recipes-for-men/michael-symon-0308
     
    #2
      bosco lover

      • Total Posts: 155
      • Joined: 9/1/2007
      • Location: st. augustine, FL
      RE: Another Esquire list Thu, 02/21/08 8:24 PM (permalink)
      yeah,im going to have to try that prosciutto/fried egg etc on sourdough. looks so good
       
      #3
        uncledaveyo

        • Total Posts: 599
        • Joined: 7/3/2006
        • Location: Northern California
        RE: Another Esquire list Thu, 02/21/08 8:35 PM (permalink)
        Chik-Fil-A distresses you, but McDonalds does not? McRib is absolutely horrid.
         
        #4
          zataar

          • Total Posts: 1440
          • Joined: 4/5/2004
          • Location: kansas city, MO
          RE: Another Esquire list Thu, 02/21/08 10:05 PM (permalink)
          Of course McRib distresses me, but the Esquire list I received via eamail didn't list McDonalds. I was bummed to see Chk Fil A, but now I'm more bummed to see McRib. Yuck...


           
          #5
            Born in OKC

            • Total Posts: 428
            • Joined: 4/11/2005
            • Location: atlanta, GA
            RE: Another Esquire list Mon, 03/17/08 1:41 PM (permalink)
            Oh me. I have to say first of all that I have much appreciated the posts by ZATAAR in this forum, some of which might be considered to be responses to questions I have had. But I totally disagree with the take on Chic-Fil-E in this thread.

            I am sorry. What is not to like about a boneless chicken breast, battered and deep fried? It is great in a sandwich, on a biscuit, in a version of the Hot Brown, loose on a plate as an entree. Maybe in ZATAAR's experience the local franchise people need a refresher course. Well, conme to Atlanta. In another recent post about "5 - 1/2 hours between planes in ATL" and where can I eat good southern food, it is mentioned that the original location is near the airport. Come here. Try that one.

            In Atlanta we are fortunate to have a number of good fried chicken options: Church's, Bojangles, Popeye's among other chains and several sit down restaurants from Folk's on up where the chicken is nicely done, and also including the Paschal's branch at the airport (also mentioned in the thread just referenced). Chic-Fil-E is scarely the least of these, and is a remarkable achievment for a fast food chain.

            ZATAAR, I would be delighted for you to publish your recipe for a fried chicken or a fried chicken sandwich. I am sure it would be good. But dissing Chic-Fil-E is very like criticizing the local peaches or pecans and approaches not liking Coca Cola!

            Please note. I am talking about the f-r-i-e-d fried version, and not the poseuer grilled version!
             
            #6
              Born in OKC

              • Total Posts: 428
              • Joined: 4/11/2005
              • Location: atlanta, GA
              RE: Another Esquire list Mon, 03/17/08 1:42 PM (permalink)
              Well, and I apologize for the spelling!
               
              #7
                divefl

                • Total Posts: 1671
                • Joined: 3/23/2007
                • Location: washington, DC
                RE: Another Esquire list Mon, 03/17/08 1:45 PM (permalink)
                Get the feeling the writer lives in LA? Anyone?
                 
                #8
                  exsquidao

                  • Total Posts: 409
                  • Joined: 3/9/2007
                  • Location: shelton, CT
                  RE: Another Esquire list Mon, 03/17/08 1:54 PM (permalink)
                  Well it did seem to be heavily left coast but if that's where the writer is stationed and he doesn't have the travel budget to fly around the country I guess he can only write about what's available to him.
                   
                  #9
                    tamandmik

                    • Total Posts: 949
                    • Joined: 6/25/2003
                    • Location: Las Cruces, NM
                    RE: Another Esquire list Mon, 03/17/08 4:48 PM (permalink)
                    I've never heard of Torta de Milanesa, but wow that sounds good.
                     
                    #10
                      MiamiDon

                      RE: Another Esquire list Tue, 03/18/08 10:21 AM (permalink)
                      I thought about why I am not anxious to seek out a Chick-Fil-A franchise. Well, because it is a fast-food franchise!

                      • It is owned by someone who is more interested in money than food.

                      • It is likely staffed by bored teenagers.

                      • The food is made to a formula dictated from corporate HQ.

                      • The Chick-Fil-A's around here are in shopping malls.

                      • The food at FFF's is usually all or partially made in factories.

                      • The food is typically not prepared to order



                      I confess to, on occasion, getting "food" from one, but only if I am in a hurry, to take out, as in "I have a meeting in 30 minutes and I haven't eaten since yesterday".

                      Your milage may vary.


                       
                      #11
                        1bbqboy

                        • Total Posts: 4542
                        • Joined: 11/20/2000
                        • Location: Rogue Valley
                        RE: Another Esquire list Tue, 03/18/08 10:45 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by tamandmik

                        I've never heard of Torta de Milanesa, but wow that sounds good.

                        Tam, it's almost a Mexi version of my beloved Italian steak sandwich from KC. We have a place here in Southern Oregon that makes a really tasty one.
                         
                        #12
                          Big Kahuna Kooks

                          • Total Posts: 490
                          • Joined: 6/7/2005
                          • Location: palm beach, FL
                          RE: Another Esquire list Wed, 03/19/08 2:58 PM (permalink)
                          they missed the vietnamese sandwich from chicago's china town district
                           
                          #13
                            Slim Strummer

                            • Total Posts: 233
                            • Joined: 3/23/2006
                            • Location: Lexington, MA
                            RE: Another Esquire list Wed, 03/19/08 3:07 PM (permalink)
                            Chick Fil A is beyond vile. It clears new ground for tastelessness and weird texture. My chicken nugget addicted children don't even like it.
                             
                            #14
                              leethebard

                              • Total Posts: 6067
                              • Joined: 8/16/2007
                              • Location: brick, NJ
                              RE: Another Esquire list Thu, 03/20/08 2:09 PM (permalink)
                              The Italian beeb sounds super...but NO MCRIB...please...is that write even in the 21st century????
                               
                              #15
                                enginecapt

                                • Total Posts: 3486
                                • Joined: 6/4/2004
                                • Location: Fontana, CA
                                RE: Another Esquire list Fri, 03/21/08 12:09 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by divefl

                                Get the feeling the writer lives in LA? Anyone?


                                No.

                                Out of 37 restaurants that were listed by city:

                                A grand total of 9 were West of the Mississippi, with 3 of those 9 in California, and 2 of those three in L.A.

                                28 of the 37 restaurants were East of the Mississippi.

                                If there's a left coast bias there, I must be missing something.
                                 
                                #16
                                  Belcamp Sharon

                                  • Total Posts: 26
                                  • Joined: 5/9/2007
                                  • Location: Belcamp, MD
                                  RE: Another Esquire list Fri, 03/21/08 12:28 PM (permalink)
                                  I have to disagree with the Hot Lobster Roll choice. I went to Abbott's once. After waiting a long time for my sandwich, the lobster meat was tasteless. I suspect they buy frozer lobster meat in bulk. It was not fresh lobster. After going up in Maine I know the difference between fresh and frozen lobster.
                                   
                                  #17
                                    BBq King

                                    • Total Posts: 123
                                    • Joined: 5/30/2004
                                    • Location: Phoenix, OR
                                    RE: Another Esquire list Fri, 03/21/08 12:49 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by MiamiDon

                                    I thought about why I am not anxious to seek out a Chick-Fil-A franchise. Well, because it is a fast-food franchise!

                                    • It is owned by someone who is more interested in money than food.

                                    • It is likely staffed by bored teenagers.

                                    • The food is made to a formula dictated from corporate HQ.

                                    • The Chick-Fil-A's around here are in shopping malls.

                                    • The food at FFF's is usually all or partially made in factories.

                                    • The food is typically not prepared to order



                                    I confess to, on occasion, getting "food" from one, but only if I am in a hurry, to take out, as in "I have a meeting in 30 minutes and I haven't eaten since yesterday".

                                    Your milage may vary.




                                    Glad to see you are so pure as to not want to eat at a FF place. However, if owner of Chick-Fil-A is a coporate vulture, more interested in money than food, how come ALL of their locations are closed on Sunday even paying a financial penalty to do so. Next, the franchise holder always works in his store. Yes there are teenagers working there, but most "pure" roadfood establishments employ teeners. Nearly all new Chicks are freestanders not in malls. As far as a supposed West Coast bias in the Esquire article while not true is just another example of the Eastern Time Zone being upset if anyone mentions a place west of the Hudson or out side of north Jersey.
                                     
                                    #18
                                      divefl

                                      • Total Posts: 1671
                                      • Joined: 3/23/2007
                                      • Location: washington, DC
                                      RE: Another Esquire list Fri, 03/21/08 1:02 PM (permalink)
                                      East coast can count, BBq. This guy lives in LA and spent a weekend in Chicago.
                                       
                                      #19
                                        BBq King

                                        • Total Posts: 123
                                        • Joined: 5/30/2004
                                        • Location: Phoenix, OR
                                        RE: Another Esquire list Fri, 03/21/08 1:35 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by divefl

                                        East coast can count, BBq. This guy lives in LA and spent a weekend in Chicago.

                                        Since there isn't even 10 West Coast places, it must mean you did't have to take off your shoes to do the count.
                                         
                                        #20
                                          enginecapt

                                          • Total Posts: 3486
                                          • Joined: 6/4/2004
                                          • Location: Fontana, CA
                                          RE: Another Esquire list Fri, 03/21/08 2:40 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by divefl

                                          East coast can count, BBq. This guy lives in LA and spent a weekend in Chicago.
                                          Which one of the 15 contributers to this non-bylined article are you singling out as "this guy"?
                                           
                                          #21
                                            JakerDog

                                            • Total Posts: 204
                                            • Joined: 10/23/2007
                                            • Location: BEACH, NJ
                                            RE: Another Esquire list Fri, 03/21/08 4:13 PM (permalink)
                                            McRib? MCRIB? That is the crime. Chick-fil-a makes a decent sandwich, there is a forum, here dedicated to it, but the McRib....no excuse at all.
                                             
                                            #22
                                              bosco lover

                                              • Total Posts: 155
                                              • Joined: 9/1/2007
                                              • Location: st. augustine, FL
                                              RE: Another Esquire list Fri, 03/21/08 6:53 PM (permalink)
                                              the mc rib always makes me think of the simpsons episode, where a beloved but disgusting krusty burger sandwich is being discontinued.
                                              homer: what's in this?pork?
                                              krusty:think smaller, and more legs

                                              or something like that
                                               
                                              #23
                                                MiamiDon

                                                RE: Another Esquire list Sat, 03/22/08 7:15 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by BBq King

                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by MiamiDon

                                                I thought about why I am not anxious to seek out a Chick-Fil-A franchise. Well, because it is a fast-food franchise!

                                                • It is owned by someone who is more interested in money than food.

                                                • It is likely staffed by bored teenagers.

                                                • The food is made to a formula dictated from corporate HQ.

                                                • The Chick-Fil-A's around here are in shopping malls.

                                                • The food at FFF's is usually all or partially made in factories.

                                                • The food is typically not prepared to order



                                                I confess to, on occasion, getting "food" from one, but only if I am in a hurry, to take out, as in "I have a meeting in 30 minutes and I haven't eaten since yesterday".

                                                Your milage may vary.




                                                Glad to see you are so pure as to not want to eat at a FF place. However, if owner of Chick-Fil-A is a coporate vulture, more interested in money than food, how come ALL of their locations are closed on Sunday even paying a financial penalty to do so. Next, the franchise holder always works in his store. Yes there are teenagers working there, but most "pure" roadfood establishments employ teeners. Nearly all new Chicks are freestanders not in malls. As far as a supposed West Coast bias in the Esquire article while not true is just another example of the Eastern Time Zone being upset if anyone mentions a place west of the Hudson or out side of north Jersey.


                                                Nothing that you wrote refutes any of the six bulleted points in my post.[|)]
                                                 
                                                #24
                                                  BBq King

                                                  • Total Posts: 123
                                                  • Joined: 5/30/2004
                                                  • Location: Phoenix, OR
                                                  RE: Another Esquire list Sat, 03/22/08 4:26 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by MiamiDon

                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by BBq King

                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by MiamiDon

                                                  I thought about why I am not anxious to seek out a Chick-Fil-A franchise. Well, because it is a fast-food franchise!

                                                  • It is owned by someone who is more interested in money than food.

                                                  • It is likely staffed by bored teenagers.

                                                  • The food is made to a formula dictated from corporate HQ.

                                                  • The Chick-Fil-A's around here are in shopping malls.

                                                  • The food at FFF's is usually all or partially made in factories.

                                                  • The food is typically not prepared to order



                                                  I confess to, on occasion, getting "food" from one, but only if I am in a hurry, to take out, as in "I have a meeting in 30 minutes and I haven't eaten since yesterday".

                                                  Your milage may vary.




                                                  Glad to see you are so pure as to not want to eat at a FF place. However, if owner of Chick-Fil-A is a coporate vulture, more interested in money than food, how come ALL of their locations are closed on Sunday even paying a financial penalty to do so. Next, the franchise holder always works in his store. Yes there are teenagers working there, but most "pure" roadfood establishments employ teeners. Nearly all new Chicks are freestanders not in malls. As far as a supposed West Coast bias in the Esquire article while not true is just another example of the Eastern Time Zone being upset if anyone mentions a place west of the Hudson or out side of north Jersey.


                                                  Nothing that you wrote refutes any of the six bulleted points in my post.[|)]


                                                  Oh, you must mean kids or "bored teenager" kept in line by the old man in the picture YOU posted about Arbetters. Or are you talking about the hot dogs, buns, cheese, and fries which are produced in a factory in the picture YOU posted about Arbetters. And do you really think anyone works at Arbetter for the love of the food and not for money
                                                   
                                                  #25
                                                    MiamiDon

                                                    RE: Another Esquire list Tue, 03/25/08 7:08 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by BBq King

                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by MiamiDon

                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by BBq King

                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by MiamiDon

                                                    I thought about why I am not anxious to seek out a Chick-Fil-A franchise. Well, because it is a fast-food franchise!

                                                    • It is owned by someone who is more interested in money than food.

                                                    • It is likely staffed by bored teenagers.

                                                    • The food is made to a formula dictated from corporate HQ.

                                                    • The Chick-Fil-A's around here are in shopping malls.

                                                    • The food at FFF's is usually all or partially made in factories.

                                                    • The food is typically not prepared to order



                                                    I confess to, on occasion, getting "food" from one, but only if I am in a hurry, to take out, as in "I have a meeting in 30 minutes and I haven't eaten since yesterday".

                                                    Your milage may vary.




                                                    Glad to see you are so pure as to not want to eat at a FF place. However, if owner of Chick-Fil-A is a coporate vulture, more interested in money than food, how come ALL of their locations are closed on Sunday even paying a financial penalty to do so. Next, the franchise holder always works in his store. Yes there are teenagers working there, but most "pure" roadfood establishments employ teeners. Nearly all new Chicks are freestanders not in malls. As far as a supposed West Coast bias in the Esquire article while not true is just another example of the Eastern Time Zone being upset if anyone mentions a place west of the Hudson or out side of north Jersey.


                                                    Nothing that you wrote refutes any of the six bulleted points in my post.[|)]


                                                    Oh, you must mean kids or "bored teenager" kept in line by the old man in the picture YOU posted about Arbetters. Or are you talking about the hot dogs, buns, cheese, and fries which are produced in a factory in the picture YOU posted about Arbetters. And do you really think anyone works at Arbetter for the love of the food and not for money


                                                    Earth to BBq King... What the heck are you talking about?

                                                    Esquire... best sandwiches... Chick-Fil-A... Stay focused.

                                                    What does Arbetter have to do with a corporate, fast-food franchise? And I do not recommend Arbetter. If I did, I would have made it a formal Roadfood Review, not a forum thread. That said,

                                                    It has not connection to a corporation, unlike Chick-Fil-A.

                                                    It is a longtime, family-owned restaurant, unlike Chick-Fil-A.

                                                    Like all hot dog joints, including Roadfood-worthy ones, they do not manufacture their hot dogs, buns, mustard or ketchup. (Good observation!)

                                                    Since it is not a corporate-dominated franchise, they are free to select, prepare and present their food in any fashion. Not so with Chick-Fil-A.

                                                    I went to a Chick-Fil-A yesterday to see for myself. I was right on ALL points, except for one. The staff consisted of middle-aged, Central-American immigrants. I talked to the franchise owner, who confirmed the other points.

                                                    The food was undistinguished, and the atmosphere was the worst.
                                                     
                                                    #26
                                                      Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                                      Jump to:

                                                      Current active users

                                                      There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                      Icon Legend and Permission

                                                      • New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

                                                      2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com