Another Independent Diner Bites the Dust

Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6360
2007/12/04 13:07:46 (permalink)

Another Independent Diner Bites the Dust

An historic independent Diner in Plainfield, Indiana is closing Saturday. The owner cites his health issues (he's 69) and chains for the demise. Alas! They had a pork tenderloin sandwich that eluded me.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071204/LOCAL0505/712040441

5 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Another Independent Diner Bites the Dust 2007/12/04 15:00:56 (permalink)
    Sad to see another classic bite the dust.. Would love to own one of them classic diners! Sadly, my bonus check this year wont cover his asking price.
    roadmaven
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Another Independent Diner Bites the Dust 2007/12/04 20:41:40 (permalink)
    I was glad to see this posted here. If it wasn't, I was gonna! My wife & I started many a roadtrip west out of Indy at The Diner for breakfast. Hopefully someone will be able to at least by the diner itself and haul it out of there. I tested my new digital camera there. I've got pics posted on the American Road magazine forum: americanroadmagazine.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=668

Regards,

Pat B.
    Speedway, IN
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Another Independent Diner Bites the Dust 2007/12/04 22:04:20 (permalink)
    Pat,

I'm a Speedway native. I missed this one in my pork tenderloin sandwich pursuits. Last summer I did get to Green Street in Brownsburg and Mayberry Cafe in Danville. We traveled the American roads in our camper van to the tune of 14,000 miles last summer with four trips and pass throughs to Indiana.
    roadmaven
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Another Independent Diner Bites the Dust 2007/12/04 22:22:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

Pat,

I'm a Speedway native. I missed this one in my pork tenderloin sandwich pursuits. Last summer I did get to Green Street in Brownsburg and Mayberry Cafe in Danville. We traveled the American roads in our camper van to the tune of 14,000 miles last summer with four trips and pass throughs to Indiana.

It was well worth the stop...sorry you missed it! Another good one, the next time you're in Speedway, would be at McGilvery's Pub at 30th & High School Road. The regular size is as big as an elephant ear! On a side note, here's a link you want to watch in the future: redevelopspeedway.com

Pat
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Another Independent Diner Bites the Dust 2007/12/04 22:53:49 (permalink)
    Pat,

I looked at those redevelopment plans last October. It could be quite exciting if carried off. I'm familiar with McGilvery's. Technically I believe it is just outside the Speedway city limits but nevertheless I think there are at least 7 places in Speedway proper that serve a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich and I would venture to guess they have more restaurants per city of that size serving them than anywhere else.

Now I am trying to guess the year of the high school football team pictured in the slide show. It had to predate me with those S's on the helmets. I played on the team that went undefeated my junior and senior year led by Billy O'Neal. There is a pub named in Billy O'Neal's memory that serves a great pork tenderloin sandwich on West 10th in Chapel Hill across from arch rival Ben Davis High School. BTW, we beat them those two years.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1