The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Another Road Trip into Central Texas for BBQ

mcguirejohnr

• Total Posts: 111
Another Road Trip into Central Texas for BBQ Wed, 09/7/11 8:56 PM (permalink)
I am preparing for yet another central Texas BBQ road trip and wanted to see if there are any special places I am missing.  I have tride to attach the route map but just in case it didn't work I will be following this route.

* Kansas City to Taylor, TX ending in Austin using I35, TX95, US79 and then back to I35.
     Will hit Guy and Maes in Williamsburg, KS, Two Brothers in Wichita, KS (too late for the lunch only B&C), Clark's Outpost in Tioga TX  and Louie Muellers in Taylor, TX on the way down.  Franklins will be first thing in the morning after overnighting in Austin.  LOOKING FOR a suggestion for something in the Oklahoma City, OK or Norman, OK areas where I may overnight as well as opinions if it is worth stopping for non-BBQ items...kolaches at Greens Sausage House in Temple, TX and a donut at Round Rock Donuts.

* Austin to Lockhart, Luling and San Antonio using US 183 and I10.
     Will hit Kruez and Smittys in Lockhart (perhaps time for Blacks or Chisholm Trail) and City Market in Luling.  LOOKING FOR a suggestion for something close to the Riverwalk area in San Antonio (probably non-BBQ).

* San Antonio to Schulenburg, LaGrange, Giddings and Lexington using I10 and US77.
     Will hit City Market, Prause's, City Meat Market and Snows (if on a Saturday morning) in those towns.  LOOKING FOR a suggestion wheter it is worth the quick diversion to Smithville to try Zimmerhanzels.

* Returning to KC using the US79/US69 Easterly route.
     LOOKING FOR suggestions for this long stretch that I don't have many ideas for.  I had tried Big Foot BBQ in Atoka once and it was AWFUL.  I have heard of some places just West of Joplin, MO...Cafe on the Route in Baxter Springs, KS and Two Women on the Route in Galena, MO.  I have pretty much worn out the Cicken places in Pittsburgh, KS already.

I am skipping the Elgin, TX places (Southside and Meyers) this time through to give me a little more time and stomach space for some I have not tried yet.

Thanks for any and all ideas.  I look forward to reporting back.
Attached Image(s)

mcguirejohnr

Re:Another Road Trip into Central Texas for BBQ Wed, 09/7/11 10:11 PM (permalink)
    I have recently found a recommendation for Fargo's Pit BBQ in Bryan, TX.  Worth the detour? 

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
      Re:Another Road Trip into Central Texas for BBQ Thu, 09/8/11 6:24 AM (permalink)
      In San Antonio for true Naples style pizza, "Dough". Trust me on this one.
      http://www.doughpizzeria.com

Twinwillow

Re:Another Road Trip into Central Texas for BBQ Thu, 09/8/11 6:28 AM (permalink)

mcguirejohnr

Re:Another Road Trip into Central Texas for BBQ Thu, 09/8/11 10:45 AM (permalink)
          Thanks.  Dough looks very interesting and I appreciate the link to FCB...that is where I learned of Fargo's Pit BBQ in Bryan, TX.

Twinwillow

Re:Another Road Trip into Central Texas for BBQ Thu, 09/8/11 11:03 AM (permalink)
            Re: Dough. Click on the link that plays Guy Fieri's visit on DDD.
            Have fun.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com