Hot!Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS

Page: << < ..11121314 > Showing page 12 of 14
Author
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8695
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2011/01/24 05:36:28 (permalink)
Another work of pizza art, Davydd. I will be looking for the San Marzano tomatoes as well as the flour when I visit my favorite Italian deli. Bob and I enjoy making pizzas, and this looks and sounds fantastic.Simplicity at its best!
agnesrob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1790
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2011/01/24 06:55:47 (permalink)
Davydd, Just beautiful! Wish I had a slice of that right now!
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6426
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2011/01/24 10:41:27 (permalink)
The San Marzano tomatoes in a can from Italy can be found in lots of stores now. I bought mine at a Lunds just up the road from my house. The tipo 00 flour is a different story. I had to drive 25 miles to Northeast Minneapolis and scour a working class residential neighborhood to find a side street that had this tiny market...

ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2011/01/24 14:09:30 (permalink)
I have 2 wonderful Italian deli's in mind-Gloriosos on the east side of Milw., and Tenutas in Kenosha( about 40 minutes away from me).I dont mind driving for good food or ingredients for such!!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2011/01/26 20:12:22 (permalink)
I probably shouldn't do this. It is not even Saturday yet. But I had this left over dough reaching three days in the fridge left over from Sunday so I decided to make pizzas again tonight. I split the dough and made two thin crust personal size pizzas. The first was a prosciutto with whole milk mozzarella cheese, the San Marzano tomato sauce, fresh chopped garlic and onion, extra virgin olive oil spiced with ground basil and oregano. I'll spare you the lip lickin' photo. I didn't take one because I was busy prepping and loading the second one.

The second pizza I made tonight was a faithful production of a Margherita pizza. This time I used di Bufala mozzarella cheese (that's from water buffalo milk), the Italian tipo 00 flour described in an earlier message, the San Marzano tomato sauce, extra virgin olive oil and fresh basil leaves. That's it - a perfect combination in taste bringing home Naples.

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2011/01/26 20:47:49 (permalink)
Another classic...Oh is there anything better than fresh basil!!!!
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2011/01/26 21:14:02 (permalink)
Gorgeous, just gorgeous.
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 820
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2011/01/27 15:13:53 (permalink)
Davydd

I probably shouldn't do this. It is not even Saturday yet. But I had this left over dough reaching three days in the fridge left over from Sunday so I decided to make pizzas again tonight. I split the dough and made two thin crust personal size pizzas. The first was a prosciutto with whole milk mozzarella cheese, the San Marzano tomato sauce, fresh chopped garlic and onion, extra virgin olive oil spiced with ground basil and oregano. I'll spare you the lip lickin' photo. I didn't take one because I was busy prepping and loading the second one.

The second pizza I made tonight was a faithful production of a Margherita pizza. This time I used di Bufala mozzarella cheese (that's from water buffalo milk), the Italian tipo 00 flour described in an earlier message, the San Marzano tomato sauce, extra virgin olive oil and fresh basil leaves. That's it - a perfect combination in taste bringing home Naples.

Gonna make some of these in May, Davydd?!?!?!!?

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2011/01/27 16:41:42 (permalink)
May is breaded pork tenderloin sandwich pursuit primetime.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2011/01/27 16:48:27 (permalink)
Way to go Davydd.  I appreciate a man of diversity.  Don't get stuck on the same thing too long

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1864
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2013/07/09 15:17:01 (permalink)
Bumping this thread for Davydd pizza info.  Making pizza this weekend and need to bone up.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2013/07/09 16:07:06 (permalink)
I've made a few since and I am kind of getting pizza faced.

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2013/07/09 16:52:01 (permalink)
One of my recent pepperoni pizzas from June. I'm still baking in an electric oven.

ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2013/07/09 19:24:11 (permalink)
So glad you are back with the pizza pics! Yum!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2013/07/09 21:38:08 (permalink)
Ann I agree the world needs more pizza

Bring them on Davydd
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5120
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2013/07/10 00:04:21 (permalink)
Davydd

A true epicurean work of art.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2013/07/10 06:55:26 (permalink)
Twinwillow

Davydd

A true epicurean work of art.

Yep, that's the way it's done
post edited by leethebard - 2013/07/10 06:57:13
WarToad
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2013/11/18 15:08:33 (permalink)
I know you guys are sick of me bumping this thread, but I want it at the top to show a pizza loving friend of mine. There's some priceless information in here, as well as inspiration.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2013/12/30 22:27:30 (permalink)
I got a Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker for Christmas. It makes 12" pizzas and heats to 660 degrees and you bake on a stone. In a hurry to try it, I had a six day left over batch of pizza dough past its prime in the fridge and some of those mozzarella snack sticks. It wasn't the best list of ingredients but being Christmas I had few options. This is my first pizza with it. More to come later.

WarToad
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2013/12/31 11:16:50 (permalink)
Davydd 
Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker

Interesting.  I'm always a little skeptical about those uni-tasker appliances.  When you've put it through it's paces let us know your thoughts.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2014/01/08 20:31:56 (permalink)
I got a chance to use my Christmas present again, the Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker I mentioned previously. This is what it looks like.

I followed their directions recommending the use of parchment paper which I will get into. The pizza maker comes with a recipe book but I went with my own. I made enough dough for two pizzas of about 12” in diameter. My recipe was as follows:

300 gr Bread flour
195 gr filtered water (65% hydration)
8 gr salt
1.5 gr dry active yeast
1 tbs olive oil
Pinch of sugar

I warmed the water to slightly over body temperature, added the yeast and a pinch of sugar, stirred and let it sit for 10 minutes. That way I can tell if my yeast is active or not. The sugar is just a catalyst starter for the yeast to feed on.

In a mixing bowl I added the flour and salt. Then I poured in the water and hand mixed until the water was fully absorbed into the flour. Then I used a hand held mixer for about 8 minutes until the dough was smooth. I added the olive oil while mixing. I sometimes hand knead but didn’t this time. I don’t own a stand mixer. I separated the dough into two balls that weighed about 257 grams each which is a little over 9 oz. each, put them in bowls covered with plastic wrap and let them rise for about 1-1/2 hours. Punched them down and let them rise a second time.

Next I cut parchment paper using the stone as a template.

I made the crust on the counter just a tad smaller than the parchment paper. When shaped I lifted it and put it on the parchment paper.

To prep the pizza I brushed some olive oil on the dough, added my pizza sauce which this time was Muir Glen Organic pizza sauce. I sprinkled some fresh dried oregano and basil, added some chopped onion, a little bit of chopped garlic, about 5 oz. of sliced fresh mozzarella cheese, some pre-browned Italian sausage, some fresh mushrooms and some sliced kalamata olives.

The first prepped pizza

I had pre-heated the pizza maker to its maximum temperature which was suppose to be 660 degrees F. for about 30 minutes while prepping the pizzas.

With the parchment paper it was easy to use a peel to slip the pizza on the stone. After 2 minutes I yanked the parchment paper out from under the pizza and let it finish baking directly on the stone.

This is what the parchment paper looked like after 2 minutes. It burns above 420 degrees so had to come out.

I baked the pizza for a total of about 7-8 minutes. This is how the first pizza looked.

This is how the bottom of the crust turned out.

The second pizza was the prepped the same as the first. About 4 minutes into baking I added some sliced tomatoes and this is how the second pizza came out.

All in all I was pretty satisfied. The crust turned out superb in my opinion. Using the parchment paper made it a lot cleaner in that I had no loose flour  normally used to slide a pizza off a peel to clean up in the pizza maker and the stone stayed cleaner. You have to be careful not to pile on the ingredients too high so they don’t touch the upper lid heating coil. 9 to 10 oz. dough balls are just about the right size. Of course you are limited to personal size 11-12” diameter pizzas. The pizza maker performed as advertised. It seems well built. This is what I get spending too much time looking at it in Williams Sonoma in front of my wife.
post edited by Davydd - 2014/01/08 20:38:12
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1106
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2014/01/08 22:47:03 (permalink)
It got a pretty good review in serious eats. Tempting

http://slice.seriouseats....tertop-pizza-oven.html
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2014/01/08 23:15:13 (permalink)
That was a pretty good review. I hadn't seen it before. Not that it would do many any good now that have have the pizza maker.

It did corroborate what I discovered. So, that's a relief.

Thanks
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2014/01/09 01:02:45 (permalink)
Looks like fun...and the results look great. You did a great job,Pizza Chef!!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2014/01/12 11:28:33 (permalink)
On my third venture with the electric table top Breville Pizza Maker I made four dough balls of which two I froze for a future test. The pizza I made this time was a three cheese pepperoni pizza.

The cheeses I used were my usual fresh sliced mozzarella, some shaved parmesan and grana padano, a rather expensive hard Italian cheese I bought on impulse that sold for $17.99/lb. Here is the prepped pizza ready for the pizza maker.

This time I prepared my parchment paper by using the pizza stone as a tracing template and then cutting the paper with scissors. Using the template I was able to stretch the pizza to about 11" gauged as you can see by the notch handles of the stone. Again after two minutes I took tongs and pulled the paper out from under and finished baking for a total of 8 minutes. The dough balls were about 7 ounces each.

I mixed the dough and then separated it into 4 balls after a 1-1/2 hour rise. I was testing a new hand mixer and 800 ounces of dough is about a maximum you can hand mix in a bowl. I don't own a stand mixer. Here are the left over dough balls in the freezer waiting for another day. They say you can freeze up to 3 months. That is nooo... problem.   They also say that water hydrates (chemically bonds) with the flour so will not crystalize and damage the dough. The yeast just happily hibernates and quits fermenting and will come back alive when warm. This is my first freezing experiment so more later.

leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2014/01/12 11:32:59 (permalink)
I think you've got it!!!,,,,and I don't think I've ever had grana padano,that I can remember. Is it an extra sharp eating cheese, or one more for grating?
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2014/01/12 11:39:11 (permalink)
From the iGourmet website

ABOUT GRANA PADANO CHEESE

Shop Online for Grana Padano Cheese, Find Recipes
Buy Grana Padano Cheese online from igourmet.com! Please visit our online store and go shopping at the number one imported food delivery service in the USA. Grana Padano is a hard, all natural Italian cheese. Grana Padano was first created by Cistercian monks approximately 1,000 years ago as way for the dairy farmers of northern Italy's Po Valley to preserve excess milk from their herds. By the 15th century, Grana Padano was one of the most popular cheeses in Italy, and today continues to be Italy's best selling cheese worldwide. "Grana" comes from Latin for grainy, as this cheese does have a grainy texture. "Padano" translates to “of the Po River”.
Grana Padano is a pale yellow cheese with an intensely sweet flavor and a granular texture. The unique grainy texture of Grana Padano derives from the presence of protein crystals formed during maturation. Grana Padano is made with milk from Italian Holstein-Friesian cows, and is aged between 12 to 16 months (Grana Padano Fresco), 16 to 20 months, or between 20 to 30 months (called Grana Padano Stravecchio). As Grana Padano ages, its flavor becomes more intense, savory and complex and its texture becomes more crumbly.

In the 1950s, the Grana Padano Consortium was created in order to oversee production and uphold strict standards for its production. The Grana Padano Consortium inspects the cheese, and once it passes inspection, it is branded with the Grana Padano trademark. Grana Padano was awarded PDO (Designation of Protected Origin) status by the European Union in 1996 which regulates the production, quality and locations for where Grana Padano is to be made. Currently, Grana Padano is the most widely consumed PDO cheese in the world.

Another, perhaps even more famous Grana-type cheese is Parmigiano Reggiano. On average, Grana Padano is aged for a slightly shorter period of time, giving it a milder, more delicate flavor. Grana Padano Stravecchio (extra aged) is the ideal grating cheese, perfect for soups and salads, and is a superb complement to steamed veggies, pasta, veal or chicken.

Grana Padano is produced in massive, 80 pound cylindrical wheels Because its rind is so hard, Grana Padano cheese is very hard to cut, especially the first cut into a new wheel. There are special knives designed specifically for handling the difficult task of cutting Grana Padano into consumer-friendly wedge-shaped cuts. A "rough cut", where the cut piece of Grana Padano has a jagged surface, indicates that the cheese was cut by piercing the wheel with the pointed end of a knife then turning or flexing the knife to break off a wedge. A smooth cut indicates the cheese was cut with a food grade wire or band saw.

When searching for cheese online, look no further than igourmet.com.

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2014/01/12 11:40:11 (permalink)
Grana padano is probably a grating cheese as it is very hard and flakey. It's sharp similar to parmagianno reggiano. When I go to a supermarket on Saturdays and they have all the sample tables I am usually a sucker after I taste. I'm the guy that actually buys.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2014/01/12 12:21:40 (permalink)
Here's a massive wheel of Grana Padano @ Eataly in NYC...

and a nice little chunk...

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18942
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2014/01/12 13:28:29 (permalink)
I occasionally buy the Grana Padano, and it's a little less expensive than the Parmigiano Reggiano I always have on hand, which usually runs about $17 or $18 a pound.
Page: << < ..11121314 > Showing page 12 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1