The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 4 of 14, messages 91 to 120 of 409
UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
  • Roadfood Insider
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sat, 01/12/08 10:41 PM (permalink)
Nancy, check out http://www.pizzamaking.com/ goto their forums...
When I make my dough, it starts out 'wet', then I gently add flour until it don't stick to the edge of the bowl anymore (I use a wooden stick (actually it's a wooden spoon) up to this point). Then I start my hand kneading, adding more flour if it's still sticky until I get a nice elastic consistency.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sat, 01/12/08 10:47 PM (permalink)
    Thanks Vic, I will give that a try.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
      RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sat, 01/12/08 11:14 PM (permalink)
      I like this thread, you always have such interesting ingredients.

bbqjimbob

• Total Posts: 428
        RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 01/13/08 12:31 AM (permalink)
        Davydd- there is something about your latest pizza that isn't right- I just can't put my thumb on it, though. Wait- yea, that's it- I can't put my thumb, my fingers, or my hands on it for that matter, in order to eat a slice or 10! Doesn't the fact that you are making so many of us hungry and leaving us lusting for your pizzas make you feel guilty in even the slightest little bit?! If not, oh well- I tried. If so, I'll be over at your earliest convenience for the pizza(s) of my choice! Keep the inspiration coming! I just purchased a pizza peel, and am trying to find unglazed tiles from a hardware store. I'm going to put them on the bottom rack of my oven, and will bake the pizzas directly on the tiles. I'm going to get a few more for use on my grill for pizzas, as well.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6230
          RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 01/13/08 11:07 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Nancypalooza

Davydd I think I'm gonna copy your tile 'stone' idea too. I'm going to ask a newbie question. We've bought pizza dough at the deli a couple times and tried making our own but I can't work it to save my life--it ends up too tough from too much flour, small and pathetic. Are you using a rolling pin, your fingers, what? Or is this subject dealt with in another forum?

Nancy my dough ball starts out semi-sticky but not sticky enough that it sticks to your hands and pulls off the ball. The first picture is how it looks right after I push the dough ball flat. I then keep working it out as much as possible with my fingers and then pick it up and continue to stretch it with the back of my knuckles under the pizza and revolving it as I work it. I've started slapping it but not yet tossing it. After I stretch it as much as possible I drop it back down on the board and (this is where porkbeaks is going to admonish me ) do use a rolling pin to clean it and up stretch to an exact size to fit the peel. The semolina flour I throw down on the counter eventually coats the surfaces so the pizza does not stick to the peel or stone. Semolina also gives it that little bit of fine grain coating and taste I associate with pizza.

The people at pizzamaking.com are sophisticated and talk in grams of flour and water, and percent of hydration and all that. I don't have any way to weigh ingredients so I just go by feel. I start out with 2-1/2 cups of bread flour, one teaspoon of salt and one cup of warm water with a teaspoon of active dry yeast (here's where leethebard will come in and blast me for not making real pizza ) and a pinch of sugar to feed the yeast for about 15 minutes before adding it to the flour. I first mix the ingredients with an olive oil coated wooden spoon along with 3 tablespoons of olive oil until it comes together. Then I pick it up and knead it by hand until it is uniformly smooth and set it in a bowl, cover the bowel with plastic stick wrap and put it in the fridge overnight. I take it out the next day about 6 hours ahead of time and punch it down to let it reach room temperature.

Davydd

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 01/13/08 11:17 AM (permalink)
            bbqjimbog,

I actually bought a stone at Williams-Sonoma in a moment of weakness when I bought my wooden peel though I knew there were less expensive solutions. You can get unglazed 16" porcelain tiles at places like Home Depot for about $4. You can also buy 8" x 8" unglazed quarry tiles and just lay about 6 (2 x 3 pattern) tight on the rack or bottom of a gas oven. My only concern about the quarry tiles is that I leave a lot of semolina grains behind and wonder if they will spill through the cracks causing more oven cleanup.

The stone makes a big difference to me. I get a much better bottom crust than baking on an aluminum pizza pan.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2202
              RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 01/13/08 12:08 PM (permalink)
              For Nancy and others that may need a visual of the pizza making process, go to Google videos and do a search for "How To Make Pizza". There are a lot of them and some are better than others.
              [url='http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-83492963185627265&q=how+to+make+pizza&total=2044&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=6']Here's[/url] one from the pizzatherapy site that demos one mans way of making dough.

[url='http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5347508625907345088&q=how+to+make+pizza&total=2082&start=10&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=9']This[/url] one is by a very famous pizza guy that shows the forming of the dough, both by hand and with a rolling pin.

After you watch these and a few others, you'll see that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Good luck! pb

Davydd

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 01/13/08 6:53 PM (permalink)
                Don't forget JB has also made videos up on YouTube.com.

bbqjimbob

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 01/27/08 3:48 AM (permalink)
                  Move over, Davydd- here in Louisville, Ohio, it was another Saturday and another- uh, I mean the beginning of your great tradition! I love the idea of Saturday night being pizza night, so I have decided to make your tradition alive here in our tiny town as well! I have found a myriad of useful help, info, recipes, etc at pizzamaking.com! Tonight, I made 4 pizzas, from chicken and veggies, to the traditional margherita pizza, to a clam pizza. They were, w/o a doubt, the best pizzas I've made in the 15+ years that I've been making pizzas! I used 2 different dough recipes, and the favorite of the 2 by far is this one: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6054.0.html
                  OK- while your pizza making skills may not be in jeopardy- the pizzas tonight were amazingly good! Thanks for the inspiration! Maybe in a few years, I will be able to make pizzas that are on par with yours! Until then, I will enjoy the journey!

Davydd

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 01/27/08 10:52 AM (permalink)
                    bbqjimbob,

If that is your pizza on pizzamaking.com you may have already surpassed me. I don't pretend to know pizza like those guys over there. I've never weighed flour and water and don't even know if I am using the right yeast.

We will have our kitchen back intact Monday so may get back in the groove.

bbqjimbob

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 02/3/08 2:18 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Davydd

bbqjimbob,

If that is your pizza on pizzamaking.com you may have already surpassed me. I don't pretend to know pizza like those guys over there. I've never weighed flour and water and don't even know if I am using the right yeast.

We will have our kitchen back intact Monday so may get back in the groove.

Davydd- no, those are not my pizzas on pizzamaking.com! I do post on that website, and have learned alot from them! However, many of them are far more into all of the percentages, dough hydrations, and bowl compensations than I ever will be! I don't have a digital camera, so I don't upload pictures of my pizzas. Lucky for you, though, as I'm sure my pizzas would be every bit as "almost" as good as yours! I made pizzas again tonight. Hey- another Saturday, another pizza- right? In case you or anyone else is interested, here is the dough recipe that has become my favorite- it is from pizzamaking.com.

20 oz King Arthur Bread Flour by weight- I use Gold Medal "Better for Bread" flour, instead.
                      12 oz filtered water by weight- I use bottled water- don't use tap water!
                      1.5 tsp Morton Kosher salt
                      3 tsp honey (raw white preferred but normal honey works fine- I use cheap Wal-Mart honey)
                      1 tsp ADY- Active Dry Yeast

makes 2-14" pizzas at .1076 thickness factor. (I make 2-12" pizzas with this recipe.)

Combine flour and salt together. Warm filtered water in microwave until hand hot (105-110F) and stir in honey until dissolved. Add ADY (Active Dry Yeast- the type of yeast that is the most readily available in grocery stores) and wait until it is frothy- about 5-10 minutes.

Combine all ingredients in your mixer. Mix 5 minutes on low, using the dough hook. Autolyse (cover the mixing bowl, and let rest 5 minutes), then mix on #2 for 5 minutes. The dough should clear the sides of the mixer but not the bottom. Place dough in oiled bowl, cover and refrigerate for 24-48 hours. (I've used this recipe 2X- the first time, I refrigerated it for 24 hours, the 2nd time for 48 hours- 48 is by far best.) Let the dough raise on the counter until it is room temperature- app 60-65F. Then turn out on floured surface, work into 2- 12" circles, then add toppings, cheese, etc, and bake on either a pre-heated stone or screen at 500 degrees.

Nancypalooza

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 02/3/08 10:03 AM (permalink)
                        So if I have a glazed ceramic tile and I'm using the bottom of it, is it going to crack or stink up the place or what? Do I have to have an unglazed tile?

Davydd

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 02/3/08 7:31 PM (permalink)
                          Nancy,

Ceramic tiles are fired at temperatures far higher than any pizza oven. I'm no expert but I a hard time believing oven temperatures would crack tiles if they are not wet and you bring them up to temperature slowly. Unglazed quarry tiles, the terra cotta colored kind you see on restaurant kitchen floors. are very cheap. You can get them at almost any tile store. You would only need four 8" x 8" quarry tiles and they are thicker than most all ceramic tiles and thus would retain more heat.

Nancypalooza

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 02/3/08 9:36 PM (permalink)
                            Well, I threw that bad boy in the oven wet and cranked it up to 450, and it did just fine. It was a tiny bit stinky, and I'm paranoid enough that I'll probably look for the unglazed kind--I did stick with the 'made in Italy' one over the 'made in China' one, at about three times the cost, but it's still, like you said, four bucks. My crusts still look like we had the dog make them, but I'll keep working at it. Thanks man.

007bond-jb

• Total Posts: 923
                              RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Mon, 02/4/08 8:21 AM (permalink)
                              Hello yall,
                              The posted here are lookin great good job to all,
                              Whole milk mozzarela Is by far better than part skim milk & low fat moz.. Pizza places generaly don't use it due to cost, Some use a 50 50 mix of moz & provlone Some use 25 75 mix of cheeses I've read of some using 100% provelone or 100% moz.

DON"T USE GLAZED TILES TO COOK WITH!!! There is a large thread on this subject at pizza making dot com. The release poisonus gasses that will leach into foods. Use ONLY unglazed unfinished untreated quary tiles. Some manufacturers treat unfished tiles. I'm not sure which one's do & don't. Its in the thread mentioned. DaveDD PM
                              Pete-zza @ pizza making he will direct you to the thread.

salindgren

• Total Posts: 275
                                RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Mon, 02/4/08 6:07 PM (permalink)
                                Check out the San Francisco Chronicle Food page, they have a running series on the Best Bay Area Pizza. Every Friday, the writer checks out another parlor, and even if you don't live there, the comments might be of interest to ya'll. Oven temps, ingredients, crusts, etc. BTW, SF is known for great pizza. LA? Not so much.
                                -Scott Lindgren, Los Angeles

Davydd

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sat, 02/9/08 10:59 PM (permalink)
                                  All type and no pizza on this page. It's Saturday night, the kitchen is functional once again, and it is time for another pizza. There was panic in the making. I made a dough Thursday night and put it in the fridge. I used some high gluten flour with regular bread flour and when I went to stretch it out it was so elastic that it kept springing back. I could not form the pie. So I quickly made another batch and let it rise for an hour. It worked out fine. The pizza tonight is my own homemade tomato sauce, chopped fresh basil, hot Italian sausage, red onion, baby bella mushrooms, kalamata olives and fresh mozzarella cheese.

bbqjimbob

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 02/10/08 5:21 AM (permalink)
                                    Looks great, as usual, Davydd! My wife and I- more my wife than I- decided that we'd have pizzas every other Saturday night, as opposed to every Saturday night.

Why do you think that your dough was so elastic? I'm surprised that it was, with a 2 day cold rise.

Any chance that you'd be willing to share your homemade tomato sauce recipe? I bought a can of San Marzano D.O.P. tomatoes this weekend. I'm trying to decide which type of recipe would be best suited for them. I'm most likely going to use them for a sauce for a margherita pizza, as that seems to accent the sauce better than most pizzas.

Thanks, and keep those Saturday pizza pics coming. I look forward to them!

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
                                      RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 02/10/08 9:43 AM (permalink)
                                      I have been making Pizza for half my life but I am always in pursuit of the perfect sauce,so post them please.

Davydd

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 02/10/08 11:52 AM (permalink)
                                        My sauce is no big deal. I took a can of Glen Muir organic tomato sauce and doctored it with a few cloves of chopped garlic, some oregano and some basil, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. I think the next time I might mix a can of tomato sauce with a can of tomato paste to thicken it up a bit. I can't find 6 in 1 or San Marzano in our local supermarkets. The Glen Muir brand is pretty good. I'd like to grow our own tomatoes but our lot is so heavily wooded that we've never had any success because of lack of sun. We tried cherry tomatoes this past year after taking out 7 giant 90 foot tall cottonwoods around our house but they didn't do so well.

Davydd

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 02/10/08 12:02 PM (permalink)
                                          Here is how the pizza looked before I baked it for 10 minutes at 550 degrees.

Here is the pizza fresh out of the oven. Note that I love our new GE Profile electric upper oven that is designed for pizzas. The upper oven is basically one rack high so the heat is intense and uniform.

oscar5933

• Total Posts: 36
                                            RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Thu, 02/14/08 5:22 PM (permalink)
                                            I have a new pizza stone that i have never used. Do I need to spray it with Pam or something before I put the pizza on? I also have the new GE oven and can't wait to try doing pizza in it. I have always made pizza on regular cookie sheets. Also, what would anyone recommend for a good jar pizza sauce?

Thanks

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                              RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Thu, 02/14/08 5:57 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by oscar5933

Do I need to spray it with Pam or something before I put the pizza on?

NO!!!!!!

the pizza stone will be fine without oil. I suggest heating the stone prior to placing the pizza on it. Not a good idea to make the pizza on the stone.

If you're truly afraid of sticking, a small amount of flour or corn meal on the stone will prevent any sticking. Oil on the stone will fry the bottom of your pizza.

quote:
                                              Originally posted by oscar5933

Also, what would anyone recommend for a good jar pizza sauce?

Most stores carry Don Pepino.

Davydd

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Thu, 02/14/08 8:34 PM (permalink)
                                                Oscar,

Use a wood peel to place the pizza on the stone and to slip it off after. In a pinch you could even use a metal cookie tin without edges. I spread my dough out on the kitchen counter over flour. If it does not stick to the counter it should not stick to the peel or the stone. Nevertheless, I use a little bit of semolina flour, a larger granule flour, on the peel to give a little bit of extra slide off the peel. I also preheat the stone almost an hour before baking so when the pizza hits the stone it starts baking right away with little chance of sticking. I don't use any olive oil except a little in the dough mix itself. Any other olive oil, depending on the recipe, will be on top of the pizza and not in contact with the stone. The stone will get stained with sauce and cheese spill over or even breaks in the pie itself. Don't try to clean it with any kind of soap or even water. Just brush and scrape it off. If the stone gets too gunked up I found leaving it in the oven and turning on the self-cleaning oven cleaner will clean the stone.

Nancypalooza

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sat, 02/16/08 8:20 PM (permalink)
                                                  For sauce I do exactly what Davydd does--a can of Glen Muir organic tomato sauce, which is really good all by itself, but I just fold in some basil and oregano--and it's good for dipping sauce for your crusts too.

Davydd we've turned Friday into pizza night; third in a row now. I had to hand the crust-stretching over to the MN native partner as she does a much better job (due to her patience, I would suspect). We are still using store-bought dough balls but my boss has suggested a pizza crust mix that this place where he gets brewer's yeast sells, so we might move on to that next.

I gave up the glazed stone after that one try; when we reheated the pizza two days later it still smelled like the tile. Haven't been back to the store for either unglazed tile or an actual stone, so the last two were on a cookie sheet and turned out fine.

Oscar, a friend of ours with a stone does the transfer with a no-lip cookie sheet. She preheats the stone, uses a nice dusting of flour between the sheet and the pizza crust, makes the pizza on the sheet, scootches it toward the edge, pulls the rack out and sets the edge side of the cookie sheet close enough to the far side of the stone to scootch it off just a tad (might need a spatula to help here) and like Davydd said, when the edge of your pizza crust hits the hot stone it will 'stick' and start cooking, and if you finesse moving the cookie sheet out from under it you'll be fine. Then just push the rack back in carefully and wait.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                                                    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sat, 02/16/08 8:39 PM (permalink)
                                                    Davydd,where's tonight's pizza.As a pizza fanatic,I live vicariously through you.Pizza,the REAL staff of life!!!!

Davydd

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sat, 02/16/08 9:59 PM (permalink)
                                                      No pizza tonight. Today I made Texas Red Chili. I was going to make a stew but instead I cut up about two pounds of beef stew meat into bitty 1/4" chunks. I browned them and then added a finely chopped red onion, jalapeno, and three cloves of garlic. Then I added 1/4 cup chili powder, 3 tablespoons of cumin, 1 tablespoon of cayenne and a pinch of salt. Then one beer, one can of beef broth and two cans of diced tomatoes. Texas red chili.

Next I made some artisan bread. 3 cups of bread flour including about a quarter cup of high gluten wheat flour, one beer, 1 teaspoon of salt, a sprinkling of of minced garlic and two teaspoons of active dry yeast. I hand mixed and kneaded it and then baked it directly on the preheated stone for one hour at 350 degrees. I sprinkled some cheddar cheese on top for an added touch.

So instead of pizza, this...

bbqjimbob

• Location: Louisville, OH
                                                        RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sat, 02/16/08 10:49 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Davydd

No pizza tonight. Today I made Texas Red Chili. I was going to make a stew but instead I cut up about two pounds of beef stew meat into bitty 1/4" chunks. I browned them and then added a finely chopped red onion, jalapeno, and three cloves of garlic. Then I added 1/4 cup chili powder, 3 tablespoons of cumin, 1 tablespoon of cayenne and a pinch of salt. Then one beer, one can of beef broth and two cans of diced tomatoes. Texas red chili.

Next I made some artisan bread. 3 cups of bread flour including about a quarter cup of high gluten wheat flour, one beer, 1 teaspoon of salt, a sprinkling of of minced garlic and two teaspoons of active dry yeast. I hand mixed and kneaded it and then baked it directly on the preheated stone for one hour at 350 degrees. I sprinkled some cheddar cheese on top for an added touch.

So instead of pizza, this...

It ain't pizza, but it ain't bad, either. Actually, it looks pretty doggone good, Davydd! I'm in the process of making 2 pizzas now- yeah, we're night owls. One will be the traditional margherita- my favorite, and the other will be a Bianco style w/ lightly creamed spinach, chicken, bacon, onions, fresh portabella mushrooms, and Parmesan and fresh mozzarella cheeses.

bbqjimbob

• Location: Louisville, OH
                                                          RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 02/17/08 1:27 AM (permalink)
                                                          An update to those pizzas. The margherita pizza was good, and has become a staple on pizza night. (Thanks again to Davydd for the inspiration!) However, I'm still trying to better my sauce- cooked vs. uncooked, type of canned tomatoes, herbs and spices to add or not to add, etc. The other pizza tonight- Bianca style w/ creamed spinach, bacon, chicken, mushrooms, etc, was awesome! My wife, who is finishing up her share of it, just stated: "Oh my God- this pizza is GOOD", as she went back for yet another piece!

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                                                            • Location: brick, NJ
                                                            RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 02/17/08 7:23 AM (permalink)
                                                            Davydd,It was worth waiting for.Looks great...and I bet that bread was superb!

bbqjimbob, the creamed spinach pizza was an inspiration. Haven't seen that anywhere.Was that an original idea?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 4 of 14, messages 91 to 120 of 409

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com