Hot!Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 14
Author
bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/02/17 19:12:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Davydd,It was worth waiting for.Looks great...and I bet that bread was superb!

bbqjimbob, the creamed spinach pizza was an inspiration. Haven't seen that anywhere.Was that an original idea?

My wife wanted a pizza with spinach, chicken, bacon, etc. I had seen pictures of a pizza with what appeared to be creamed spinach on it on pizzamaking.com, which is where the inspiration came from.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6426
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/02/17 20:10:05 (permalink)
bbqimbob,

You might want to try fresh spinach leaves and alfredo sauce next time. You might like that better. I use an alfredo sauce when I make white pizzas.

Yesterday was my very first bread. It is not much different than working up a batch of pizza dough. I decided to make another after I realized I had been paying $3+ for such fresh loaves at the grocery store. For pennies I can make these artisan loaves. This time I topped my bread with fresh chopped basil and pecorino romano cheese.

bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/02/17 21:29:11 (permalink)
I used fresh spinach sauteed in olive oil w/ garlic, added a little light half and half and small bit of butter, seasoned it w/ s & p, drained it before putting on the pizza, and grated Parmesan cheese over it. I don't like Alfredo sauce, and my wife is watching what she eats. I guess that leaves the Alfredo sauce out. We really like the "sauce" I've been using- olive oil w/ garlic and Italian herbs. I use low-fat cheese (Yuck) on her part of the pizza.

BTW- Your bread looks awesome!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/02/18 08:47:29 (permalink)
Try the old Italian Easter tradition in our family...we had it always on Good Friday. You'd call it,I guess a stuffed spinach pizza. Between two layers of pizza dough,put sauted spinach(in olive oil and garlic) add salt,enough, spinach is bland...and bake. When we were kids we couldn't get enough of this...and begged mom to make it other times of the year. Sbarro's makes one similar,but adds brocolli and some kind of cheese,but I'm partial to mom's plain. Give it a try and let me know what you think!!It's certainly a healthy pie!!
bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/02/24 23:44:14 (permalink)
quote:

Try the old Italian Easter tradition in our family...we had it always on Good Friday. You'd call it,I guess a stuffed spinach pizza. Between two layers of pizza dough,put sauted spinach(in olive oil and garlic) add salt,enough, spinach is bland...and bake. When we were kids we couldn't get enough of this...and begged mom to make it other times of the year. Sbarro's makes one similar,but adds brocolli and some kind of cheese,but I'm partial to mom's plain. Give it a try and let me know what you think!!It's certainly a healthy pie!!

Thanks for the suggestion, however, I wasn't crazy about the spinach on the pizza- although it was one of my wife's favorites , so I will pass on any more spinach recipes for a while.

BTW- Davydd- where are the pics from this Saturday's pizza?! I have been making margherita pizzas and chicken pizzas- chicken w/ this, that, and everything in between. I am getting sick and tired of chicken pizzas! Next Saturday I will be making pizzas again, and I'm trying to come up with toppings that "defy" the norm, but don't use chicken in any way! I don't like pepperoni very often, and really don't like sausage. So w/ chicken, pepperoni, and sausage being off limits, I'm left with very limited choices! I'll let you know what I decided on. In the meantime, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
jellybear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/02/25 07:56:52 (permalink)
Ever try a Clam Pizza?Do a search on the Pizza Forums and there is a great recipe for one.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/02/25 08:04:49 (permalink)
Had a breakfast pizza in Italy once that had a poached egg sitting right in the center...not well done either!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/02/25 10:30:10 (permalink)
It was Thursday night this week and I made two pizzas in order to feed guests. It was kind of uninspired spur of the moment as I made safe simple Italian sausage pizzas with onion, basil, pizza sauce, black olives and Romano tomatoes. No experimentation. In fact I even used the 2% skim milk grated packages of mozzarella cheese and made the dough same day. What I discovered is that kind of cheese will burn faster than the fresh mozzarella that I had been using of late. In that regard it was interesting to know that.

bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/02/26 05:19:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jellybear

Ever try a Clam Pizza?Do a search on the Pizza Forums and there is a great recipe for one.

Actually, yes I have made clam pizzas- from both canned and fresh clams. My favorite was the one I did on the grill. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/02 00:39:57 (permalink)
We're such night owls that what started out as Saturday pizzas are becoming early Sunday pizzas- hey- breakfast of champions, right! Actually, tonight is an exceptionally late night, even for us night owls. The dough is proofing as I type for another round of pizzas. I usually make the dough a night or 2 in advance, but we had ran out of some of the ingredients I use, and didn't get to the store in time. I used a dough recipe that can be used the same day, and needs no cold proofing. Tonight's pizzas will be a variation from the norm. One will be what I call a "Mediterranean (Wow- either I spelled that correctly, or spell-check missed it!) style"- a "sauce" of olive oil w/ herbs and spices, ground lamb, Kalamata olives, fresh plum tomatoes, onions, Feta cheese, and a little mozzarella. The other is not for those on a diet- That'd be me! It will have a homemade tomato sauce, ground chuck, ham, sausage, pepperoni (I usually don't care for sausage or pepperoni, but they sounded good tonight) baby portabella mushrooms, and mozzarella.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/02 07:45:30 (permalink)
I'll have two slices of that# 2!!!Wow!!!!!!...oh what the heck,add a slice of # 1!
jimsock9
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 285
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/02 19:12:00 (permalink)
NO, NO NO! You must mean a 1/2 pound of each!
bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/03 00:22:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jimsock9

NO, NO NO! You must mean a 1/2 pound of each!

I think one slice of the #2 pizza would be at least 1/2 a pound!

I have to say that after all the different variations I've made, my favorite is still the good old margherita pizza!
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/03 05:26:22 (permalink)
I'll agree...the standard cheese,sauce and basil Margherita is still the acid test of a great pizza maker...and my man ,if pictures don't lie,I can see your greatness from across the miles!!!Keep those posts coming....pizza is life...and we all deserve our slice of the pie!!
Porcelina
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/03 18:19:59 (permalink)
Yum! I'm not a pizza lover but you have some mad skills, I would order a pizza from you any day!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/03 22:29:18 (permalink)
We did three in a row, and this week we took a break.

Julie is getting to be very good at mashing out the crust. Here you have canadian bacon and fresh pineapple from midnight to six (sue us, we like it). Feta, grape tomatoes and onions from six to nine, and a weird pineapple/banana pepper/onion concoction from nine to midnight that was quite good. We haven't replaced the tile yet, so the crust is probably not as good as it could be. But this was a damn fine pizza.
bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/04 01:52:58 (permalink)
quote:

I'll agree...the standard cheese,sauce and basil Margherita is still the acid test of a great pizza maker...and my man ,if pictures don't lie,I can see your greatness from across the miles!!!Keep those posts coming....pizza is life...and we all deserve our slice of the pie!!

Just to avoid any confusion- those awesome looking pics of pizzas are mostly from Davydd, and the latest mouth-watering addition is from Nancypalooza. Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera, and cannot post pics of my pizzas, as much as I'd like to!
bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/04 02:03:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Nancypalooza

We did three in a row, and this week we took a break.

Julie is getting to be very good at mashing out the crust. Here you have canadian bacon and fresh pineapple from midnight to six (sue us, we like it). Feta, grape tomatoes and onions from six to nine, and a weird pineapple/banana pepper/onion concoction from nine to midnight that was quite good. We haven't replaced the tile yet, so the crust is probably not as good as it could be. But this was a damn fine pizza.

Wow- no need to sue- your pizza looks great! I love banana peppers on pizza, and as I stated in an earlier post, I'm running out of ideas for pizzas. I actually thought about a Hawaiian style recently one night as I lay in bed unable to sleep! Thanks for re-iterating the idea. I think I will try it real soon. What do you use for a "sauce" on the "Hawaiian" part of the pizza?

BTW- I have never bought the unglazed quarry tiles as recommended at pizzamaking.com. I use a stone, which I put on the bottom oven rack prior to turning the oven on, and let it heat up to 500, until the oven is pre-heated, and actually a half hour or so more.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/04 05:10:54 (permalink)
Yes, another masterpiece! How much per slice...or by the kilo?
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/04 07:00:22 (permalink)
Okay, I use exactly what Davydd does, but we got there independently. Muir Glen makes a great organic canned tomato sauce--no flavors, just tomato sauce. It's like 91 cents a can. We just sprinkle dried basil and oregano in it, and I think this time we added some grated garlic. Smear it on your crust, and keep the rest for crust dipping. The bag of pizza dough at Publix is $2.99--this one was sourdough. Then it was like $3 for the canadian bacon, $2 for a small thing of pineapple (although Food Lion's whole pineapples are usually $3.99), and we had the onions and peppers etc.

Okay now I remember, the green things are fresh basil leaves; I bought it for a chicken pasta dish and was using it up. That slice was delicious.

I do want to get a tile or stone; the bottom of the crust just doesn't have a lot of oomph to it.
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/04 07:40:37 (permalink)
That looks like a darn good pizza with the pineapple and canadian bacon and other ingredients. Nobody is going hungry at your house!

Andrea
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/04 09:40:24 (permalink)
Oh noooo. Our butts can attest to that. :)
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/04 09:59:07 (permalink)
PURE GENIUS! The pictures are incredible. What is your delivery phone number?
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/04 10:05:16 (permalink)
The stone made all the differences in my pizzas, that and a high heat oven. Before I started baking directly on a stone it was hit or miss whether the crust would be done before the cheese burned. Also the higher heat at 550 degrees and a pre-heated stone for as much as an hour ahead makes a difference. It cut the baking time almost in half. One other thing I learned. Use 100% mozzarella cheese the kind that comes rounded shaped in a vacuum seal package. It will not readily burn like the pre-packaged grated kind that Sargento and Kraft sell for pizza.
Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/05 12:08:08 (permalink)
Honesty, Davy - Pitch this thread "Another Saturday, Another pizza," to a publisher ASAP. I would buy it in a second; you're writing and recipes are that good. - Rusty
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/05 14:20:51 (permalink)

I'll second that. What a great book idea...and food idea!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/05 17:54:03 (permalink)
Look guys, I am a total amateur when it comes to pizzas. I can't compete with those guys over on PizzaMaking.com or come close. I don't even measure out my flour and water in grams.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/06 07:46:37 (permalink)
You are too modest.I know a good pizza when I see one!!!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/06 09:49:42 (permalink)
Yeah but you've been very influential Davydd. You're the roadfood Pizza Sensei. :)
firecommander3565
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 505
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2008/03/06 09:58:59 (permalink)
Nice , very nice!!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1