The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 8 of 14, messages 211 to 240 of 409
Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Mon, 05/5/08 1:58 AM (permalink)
Yer killen me!!! I'm on a low carb diet!!!!

bbqjimbob

• Total Posts: 428
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sat, 05/17/08 10:42 PM (permalink)
    Finally, after all the madness and sadness of the funeral, etc, I made pizzas tonight, and have proof! Sorry about the amount of pics- I promise I won't post this many next time. The first one is a crust that has been stretched out to size.

This is the first pizza- a meats pizza with my tomato sauce w/ ham, bacon, sausage, pepperoni, onion, and mozzarella, before baking.

The same pizza after it is done. I stretched it out a little too big, and had to roll the edges of the crust up towards the pizza. Still good, though!

This is the next pizza- olive oil and herbs for a sauce, with caramelized red onions w/ rosemary and garlic, kalamata olives, and prosciutto- no cheese. The crust was made with half whole wheat flour.

The next one was the traditional margherita pizza- tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil.

And finally- another one with made with half whole wheat flour- olive oil and herbs sauce, chicken, bacon, green peppers, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, kalamata and green olives, and mozzarella.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17817
      RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sat, 05/17/08 10:43 PM (permalink)
      Nothing wrong with posting lots of good photos.

Guilty One

• Total Posts: 204
        RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sat, 05/17/08 11:15 PM (permalink)
        Never too many pictures. They look nice, if that's the way you like your crust.

If I'm ever invited to your house, I'm bringing a mini blow torch to crisp up the edge a bit!

bbqjimbob

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sat, 05/17/08 11:23 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Guilty One

If I'm ever invited to your house, I'm bringing a mini blow torch to crisp up the edge a bit!

I'm not sure I'd want to invite to my house, if you're bringing a blow torch! BTW- do you like your crusts burnt? They were plenty done- crisp, yet chewy. Any more cooked, and they would have been tough! It may be the pictures, but the crusts were just fine! The pizzas were baked in a 500F oven, on a baking stone pre-heated for an hour or more, for app 8-10 minutes.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
            RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 05/18/08 5:46 AM (permalink)
            The pizzas all look great, especially the one with the fresh basil. Fresh herbs are wonderful!

Andrea

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
              RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 05/18/08 6:45 AM (permalink)
              They all look like the makings of a great feast....say what do you drink with these pizza's???Wine ..beer??? That Margherita pizza is perfection!!!!!

bbqjimbob

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 05/18/08 10:33 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by leethebard

They all look like the makings of a great feast....say what do you drink with these pizza's???Wine ..beer??? That Margherita pizza is perfection!!!!!

We had company and there was a variety of drinks. Some drank water, some beer, some pop, and I drank iced tea with the pizza. The margherita pizza was a hit- it is usually everyone's favorite, regardless of what other types of pizzas I make. It is always my favorite!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 05/18/08 11:31 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by bbqjimbob

quote:
                  Originally posted by Guilty One

I'm not sure I'd want to invite to my house, if you're bringing a blow torch! BTW- do you like your crusts burnt? They were plenty done- crisp, yet chewy. Any more cooked, and they would have been tough! It may be the pictures, but the crusts were just fine! The pizzas were baked in a 500F oven, on a baking stone pre-heated for an hour or more, for app 8-10 minutes.

I take some paper towel, grab a bit of butter with it, and butter the crust (before I cook the pie).. Gives it a golden color, not to mention some great flavor..
                  But in all honesty, crusts you have are looking darn good! I strongly doubt they need any help...

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Mon, 05/19/08 7:48 AM (permalink)
                    They look real good from here. Hmm, BBQ and pizza - I wanna come to your house.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                      RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Tue, 05/20/08 6:03 PM (permalink)
                      Excellent looking pizzas-I would travel far and wide for those!!!

mmarkovitz

• Total Posts: 80
                        RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Tue, 05/20/08 6:25 PM (permalink)
                        Looks great

grill_IT

• Total Posts: 5
                          RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Thu, 06/5/08 8:52 AM (permalink)
                          I just started making homemade pizzas and I have a few questions.
                          1) My crust doesn't seem to want to rise. I follow the dough recipe but I still get crunchy thin crust when I want chewy hand tossed. I don't remember the exact recipe but I think it is 4.5 - 5.5 cups of flour, one package of active dry yeast, warm water (amount I can't remember) and a tbsp of evoo.
                          2) Next I have problems with my dough wanting to return to it's original shape. I put it on the pan at one size and when I put the toppings on it, it is already an inch or 2 smaller in diameter. This maybe related to question 1.
                          3) I need a good sauce recipe.

Thanks.

~jlm

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                            RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Thu, 06/5/08 9:33 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by grill_IT

1) My crust doesn't seem to want to rise. I follow the dough recipe but I still get crunchy thin crust when I want chewy hand tossed. I don't remember the exact recipe but I think it is 4.5 - 5.5 cups of flour, one package of active dry yeast, warm water (amount I can't remember) and a tbsp of evoo.
                            2) Next I have problems with my dough wanting to return to it's original shape. I put it on the pan at one size and when I put the toppings on it, it is already an inch or 2 smaller in diameter. This maybe related to question 1.

Thanks.

~jlm

1. I'd need to know the exact recipe you are following to be able to offer a suggestion. Especially, the exact amount of water in order to figure the hydration percentage.

2. I used to have this same problem. Since I started doing a "retarded cold rise", it hasn't been an issue. This involves using a very small amount of yeast and putting the freshly made dough in the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours (3 days is preferred). The dough is taken out about 2 hours before pizza prep. It then handles like a dream.

3. In my opinion, a good sauce is a simple sauce. I use a 28 oz. can of 6 in 1 crushed tomatoes made by Escalon in California. I start by softening at med. low heat a couple cloves of minced garlic in 1/4 cup of olive oil. I add the tomatoes after the garlic has taken on just a bit of color, a pinch of Turkish oregano, and a 1/4 tsp. of kosher salt. I let the sauce heat until I see the first sign of bubbling, take off the heat and add a few leaves of torn up fresh basil and fresh oregano. If the 6 in 1 brand isn't available to you, it can be ordered online in lots of 6 cans from Escalon at about $2.50 per can plus moderate shipping. Lately, I've been trying the Great Value concentrated crushed tomatoes in 28 oz. cans from Walmart. They have a bit more liquid than the 6 in 1's so I drain off the excess but, at 92 cents a can, are indeed a "great value".

Hope this helps a little. An excellent device for figuring recipe amounts to the gram can be found at PizzaMaking.com[url='http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html']here.[/url]. It requires that you weigh your ingredients so you need to have a decent digital scale. I highly recommend this method.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                              RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Thu, 06/5/08 10:50 AM (permalink)
                              The shrinking dough problem could be a couple of things.
                              Not enough kneeding, give it the windowpane test.
                              As porkbeaks stated above the dough must rest after the rise.
                              King Arthur sells a dough relaxer but I've never had to use it.
                              Never use a rolling pin do it buy hand.
                              Hydration can be a problem, there is No exacts. It all depends on type of flour, weather, time of day and so on.
                              After you get the Feel you will know. This is why I always kneed by hand for the Feel. I suggest even if useing a machine for the kneed turn it out on a lightly floured surface and finish by hand.
                              I'ts almost impossible to over kneed a dough. Chow Jim

porkbeaks

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sat, 06/7/08 8:41 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by grill_IT

Thanks.

~jlm

[url='http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6689.0.html']Here's[/url] a thread on pizzamaking.com that may interest you. pb

porkbeaks

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 06/8/08 7:12 PM (permalink)
                                  I had a couple of doughs in the fridge that had to be used so I decided to get "adventurous". I didn't think to take pics until later, hence the slice photos.

The first is a white pizza with a fresh (made today) basil pesto and ricotta base, shredded mozz, and topped with guanciale (cured, unsmoked hog jowl) that was slowly crisped in olive oil before using.

The second is my first attempt at trying to duplicate the bacon/spinach/garlic pie we used to get in Vero Beach at Cap's Pizza. After squeezing out as much of the water from the defrosted spinach as possible, I pulsed it in the food processor with shredded mozz. 3 cloves minced garlic, and 4 slices of chopped bacon. This was applied over the top of a ricotta base. It came out pretty good, but next time I'll be cutting back on the amount of spinach and using more mozz, bacon, and garlic.

leethebard

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 06/8/08 8:03 PM (permalink)
                                    That spinach pie looks fine...as is!!!!!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                                      RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sun, 06/15/08 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                      I have been neglectful of my Saturday night pizza duties. We've been traveling mostly this past month, 4,500 miles, 12 states as documented here...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27766

and

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28000

So it is back home and a month or so of home remodeling duties before we head out again. So last night was again pizza night. I didn't do a cold ferment with made up dough ahead of time. I made it yesterday and let it rise for 1-1/2 hours. That worked just as well. The dough turned out well. For a base I spritzed the dough with extra virgin olive oil and then applied my home prepared pizza sauce. For a refresher this is my sauce but prepared the fast way with some shortcuts.

1 15 oz. can tomato sauce (all I had in the house was Target Market Pantry)
                                      1 tsp minced garlic
                                      1 tsp minced onion
                                      2 tsp Oregano
                                      1 tsp Parsely
                                      1 tsp Basil
                                      1/4 tsp Rosemary
                                      1 tbs extra virgin olive oil

This will satisfy making 3-4 pizzas.

For the meats I used pepperoni and capocollo (cured pork shoulder). I used capocollo for the first time. It had a hot spice cure taste that I liked.

After spreading the sauce I added fresh cut Basil, some grated Parmesan cheese, chopped onion and the capocollo.

Then I topped that with a little bit of grated mozzerella and provolone cheese, then sliced mushrooms, more of the cheese and finally the pepperoni on top. I baked it the usual way on a pre-heated pizza stone in an oven at 550 degrees for 9 minutes.

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                                        RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Wed, 07/9/08 2:00 PM (permalink)
                                        Super pics everyone. I haven't been making pizza as I don't have all of my "stuff", I'm in an apt. right now. I did get this delivered last night. 1/2 Greek chicken with white sauce, 1/2 sausage & pepperoni with extra cheese.

Got my handy shaker of habanero too. I can't believe I slept well.

bbqjimbob

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Fri, 07/11/08 4:01 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Theedge

Super pics everyone. I haven't been making pizza as I don't have all of my "stuff", I'm in an apt. right now. I did get this delivered last night. 1/2 Greek chicken with white sauce, 1/2 sausage & pepperoni with extra cheese.

Got my handy shaker of habanero too. I can't believe I slept well.

Hey there- "Edge"- don't let the fact that you're in an apt. keep you from making great pizza- that's irrelevant! The pizza you had delivered sounds and looks awesome! However- with a little studying and minimal effort- I'm sure you could make pizza that would top any "delivery" pizza!

jfitz

• Total Posts: 115
                                            RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Fri, 07/11/08 6:36 AM (permalink)
                                            To annpeeples and others with low carb needs: try using flour tortillas for crusts to carry those wonderful pizza components. Carbs vary but a burrito style tortilla can be found for about 20 carbs each.The larger the more. Some makers have higher carb versions. I use AZTECA at 19 carbs per tortilla and use two for crust with a little mozzarella between torts. Cook on stone but be careful not to burn at 450. I'm goiing to try an alum. pan on the stone next to see how it comes out. As a diebetic my carb allotement per meal is 60 [it is generous] so a 40 plus carb pizza is great whereas with a conventional pizza {12 inch] I'm hardly satisfied.As you know most pizza components are low in carbs. jfitz

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                                              • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
                                              RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Fri, 07/11/08 7:01 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:
                                              Originally posted by Davydd

Last week I bought another tool in my quest for pizza perfection. I bought a new roller. I had the traditional roller with handles and did not like it. This roller is tapered and works super. Such a professional feeling. I bought it at Bed, Bath & Beyond. That was the second reason for making a pizza this week again.

A rolling pin? Tsk, tsk. Imho, definitely not needed to achieve "pizza perfection". That's a cornicione killer. pb

Actually,that pin is perfectly fine as a way for rolling and rounding out a pizza. Trust me, I worked with a Italian chef (who has a book about Italian baking), and a rolling pin was perfectly fine. Also, some people forget that if the pizza does not appear round prior to being topped, you can trim the edges.
                                              That said, I do a combination of both, even I cannot resist hand stretching and tossing the dough around a little.

Some folks are looking for a sauce recipe. We made ours, and I still do, by using tomato puree. It has the thickness/gravity which makes for a thick and rich sauce. Add olive oil, S&P, garlic, herbs, a touch of sugar and just a little water to make it workable. This sauce will adhere to your pizza. Do not use paste unless you want to make a whole lot of sauce.

Boy, there are some great pizzas being made and shown here.

mark

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                                                RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Sat, 07/19/08 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                                Fantastic pies. Another option for pizza sauce is stewed tomatoes if you like chunks. To thicken it up and avoid food waste keep a tube of tomato paste in the fridge.

porkbeaks

• Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                                  RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Mon, 09/8/08 10:03 AM (permalink)
                                                  Just to show that not every pizza comes out exactly the way I'd like, here are a couple of pics of one I attempted on the Weber gas grill last Saturday. After scraping, it was still edible but I think I'll be sticking to the oven from now on. pb

leethebard

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Mon, 09/8/08 10:13 AM (permalink)
                                                    Lesson...never look under the pie!!!

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                                      • Location: Versailles, KY
                                                      RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Mon, 09/8/08 10:28 AM (permalink)
                                                      What's your dough recipe, if you don't mind sharing?

Andrea

porkbeaks

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Mon, 09/8/08 10:53 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by AndreaB

What's your dough recipe, if you don't mind sharing?

Andrea

Here are a couple of my old posts from PizzaMaking.com. They give my recipe/formula that is derived from the dough calculator found here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html All the ingredients are weighed in order to achieve consistent results. This is especially important with the flour.
                                                        ********************************************************************

I have been making pizza once a week for the past 3 years and each and every time I've used a bread machine. It too has a 2 hour dough cycle which breaks down as follows: The first 25 minutes, it just sits there; I assume this ensures all ingredients are at room temp. Then it goes into action; 2 minutes of slow & easy mixing followed by 23 minutes of vigorous kneading. It then sits for 50 minutes resulting in a little rise followed by a 1 minute period of slight movement and another 20 minute rest. I then remove the dough, split it into halves, put them onto 2 slightly oiled pans http://www.zesco.com/products.cfm?subCatID=1652&PGroupID=020206MZ01 , cover each with a square of Saran, and place in the fridge for 3-7 days. The doughs are consistently beautiful; easy to handle & shape (they never tear, and the flavor seems to improve with the time spent in the fridge. I never freeze it, but always get it into the fridge asap. I have (at times) pulled the dough from the machine right after the first kneading and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before halving with no discernible difference. Here's my Lehmann recipe for two 14" pies.. Give it a try and see what you think. art

Flour (100%): 519.7 g | 18.33 oz | 1.15 lbs
                                                        Water (63%): 327.41 g | 11.55 oz | 0.72 lbs
                                                        IDY (0.20%): 1.04 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.35 tsp | 0.12 tbsp
                                                        Salt (1.75%): 9.09 g | 0.32 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.89 tsp | 0.63 tbsp
                                                        Oil (2%): 10.39 g | 0.37 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.31 tsp | 0.77 tbsp
                                                        Sugar (1%): 5.2 g | 0.18 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.3 tsp | 0.43 tbsp
                                                        Total (167.95%): 872.83 g | 30.79 oz | 1.92 lbs | TF = 0.1
                                                        Single Ball: 436.41 g | 15.39 oz | 0.96 lbs
                                                        ********************************************************************
                                                        As I said, the dough balls went directly to the fridge for 72+ hours in lightly oiled proofing pans and then spent almost 4 hours covered with Saran and a towel on a lightly floured Silpat mat. I find the mat to work well for pressing out and shaping. There was little, if any rise, during the time in the fridge and, except for a few air bubbles, not too much rise after sitting out for the 4 hours.
                                                        I prepared this dough, as I do all my doughs, in my 10 year old Black & Decker bread machine. I use KA bread flour, cold filtered water, kosher salt, olive oil, and turbinado sugar. The dough cycle takes 2 hours and produces a beautiful dough that comes out of the machine at a consistant 80-82 degrees.
                                                        My sauce is slow simmered for 20 minutes and consists of Escalon 6 IN 1 tomatoes, olive oil, minced garlic, and (when I have it) some fresh basil added just as it comes off the heat.
                                                        I noticed a big improvement when I started using a Fibrament stone preheated on the bottom shelf for at least 1 hour at 550. Also, since switching to a SuperPeel, I no longer have to deal with corn meal sticking (and sometimes burning) to the bottom of the crust. It's a great tool and I highly recommend it.
                                                        The whole family thinks my pizza is "the best" so I have quit tinkering with the dough formula. I'm pretty much satisfied with my sauce, but still play around with it a little bit. I make white pizzas, pesto pizzas, and am planning to try a clam number ala Pepe's if I can come up with some fresh clams.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                                          RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Mon, 09/8/08 11:30 AM (permalink)
                                                          porkbeaks next time try supporting the pizza stone with a few bricks in the Weber. 6 in 1 tomatoes are the only way to go. Also try using this product 28oz Exclusivo Wild Porcini Sauce http://www.sciabica.com/magento/catalog/product/view/id/16/category/7/

It has alot of oil in it also so you can use it as is....Russ

porkbeaks

RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS Mon, 09/8/08 11:42 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Russ Jackson

porkbeaks next time try supporting the pizza stone with a few bricks in the Weber. 6 in 1 tomatoes are the only way to go. Also try using this product 28oz Exclusivo Wild Porcini Sauce http://www.sciabica.com/magento/catalog/product/view/id/16/category/7/

It has alot of oil in it also so you can use it as is....Russ

You use this in addition to the 6 in 1? I noticed it contains eggplant, onions, porcini mushrooms and carrots. No tomatoes? pb

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 8 of 14, messages 211 to 240 of 409

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com