Another one bites the dust

Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2336
2009/03/27 18:26:23 (permalink)

Another one bites the dust

Yet another New Jersey hot dog restaurant has gone under, in part due to the slow economy.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/phillipsburg/index.ssf/2009/03/phillipsburg_hot_dog_seller_ji.html

6 Replies Related Threads

ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1600
    Re:Another one bites the dust 2009/03/27 22:55:29 (permalink)
    I hate to say this, but the one time I was there I was not impressed. (I was at the "old" Jimmys at the same site once also, about 20 years ago).

In fact I was with my son, and there was a line that was moving very slow and we spotted the Chicken Wing place in the same building next to Jimmy's (to the left in the picture on the link) and decided to order just one dog each and get some wings instead. It was a Wednesday and they had a special which was something like 50 wings for $17. We were eating terrific wings for a week. The Jimmy's dogs was small, overcooked, and not really very good.

I'm not sure if the wing place is still there, I'm sure I still have the takeout menu in my files, but I don't remember the name of it.
    DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:Another one bites the dust 2009/03/28 01:18:44 (permalink)
    Ken,
    I think the wing place was part of it if I recall correctly.

I drove by it a few weeks ago and noticed that it was closed. I ate there once or twice and didn't love it. There's a woman who runs a Sabrett cart just off Route 22 Westbound by Phillipsburg High School (I think). She calls it Aunt T's and her dogs are very good. There's also Charlie's Pool Room!! Which isn't too far away either.

Dave
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2336
    Re:Another one bites the dust 2009/03/28 06:16:48 (permalink)
    This Jimmy's was not affiliated with the previous one. The old place by that name moved to Easton, PA.

Jimmy's on the Delaware wasn't a standout. From what I remember from 06, they served a regular Berk's dog (Toby's Cup was much better) a spicy jalapeno cheese dog and a fried Hatfield angus beef dog.

Across the street used to be a place called Eddie's that I hear was just plain awful. They closed up or became another type (Mexican?) of restaurant.
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1878
    Re:Another one bites the dust 2009/03/28 15:03:03 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

Sorry to see another dog place down .
    I'm glad that area is still well served with Tobys , Hot Dog Johnnys and my all time favorite Charlies Pool Room

Benzee
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Another one bites the dust 2009/03/29 00:06:09 (permalink)
    John Fox - the Grim Reaper.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1600
    Re:Another one bites the dust 2009/03/29 10:09:33 (permalink)
    <<I'm glad that area is still well served with Tobys , Hot Dog Johnnys and my all time favorite Charlies Pool Room >>

Johnny's is probably aboout 1/2 hour from the other two, but you have a good point, with Charlie's and Toby's right nearby, Jimmy's was a distant 3rd anyway.

John: I was at Eddie's just after it first opened and it was pretty good. It had gotten a big writeup in the Star Ledger and other papers, and the place was hoppin'. But I guess that wore off pretty quick. I went back about 2 years later and we were the only customers at 1PM on a Saturday, yet it took forever to get our dogs and they weren't good at all.

What I will miss about Eddies and Jimmy's is the location right by the Delaware River  with the old bridge in the background. A real gritty yet picturesque New Jersey landscape.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1