Another stop in Worcester Mass

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1961
2014/03/22 14:43:57 (permalink)

Another stop in Worcester Mass

Volturno pizza has, IMO, earned a spot on a Worcester roadtrip. The owner trained in Naples and makes a 90 second wood fired pizza. It is 90 seconds, because the oven is so hot, and each pizza gets constant attention from a pizza cooking expert.

They use great ingredients, including High Lawn cream, from the Berkshires, and I think that they make their own fennel sausage. It is not for the deep dish fans, but I highly recommend Volturno. Look them up, there is plenty on the web.

6 Replies Related Threads

tmiles
    Re:Another stop in Worcester Mass 2014/04/19 19:55:00 (permalink)
    Wonder Bar Closed.......
    Wonder Bar on Shrewsbury St, Worcester's restaurant row, closed a few days ago. It was one of the oldest pizza shops in the country, opening (I think) in 1922, when a pizza was 35 cents. It has been run by the same family  since opening, and will open again in a few weeks. Four non family owners are in a competition to take over. One will get the secret recipe, and I hope, be successful.
    ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    Re:Another stop in Worcester Mass 2014/04/19 20:18:44 (permalink)
    That sounds like a strange situation.  Is it some sort of auction or similar bidding war?
    tmiles
    Re:Another stop in Worcester Mass 2014/04/24 20:38:07 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

That sounds like a strange situation.  Is it some sort of auction or similar bidding war?

I understand that it is more like a lady deciding upon multiple suitors. They are looking for the one who will best continue the tradition, rather than just the best price.........maybe it is all hype. They want to protect staff, some of whom have been there for decades. That begs the question not mentioned in the newspaper story, why is a staffer not buying it???

I started this thread with a bit about the new guys at Volturno, but most places on Shrewsbury Street have been in business for generations. Parking is a problem in the area, but Volturno being new has plenty. Wonder Bar requires a hike. 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10072
    Re:Another stop in Worcester Mass 2014/04/25 03:19:09 (permalink)
    That begs the question not mentioned in the newspaper story, why is a staffer not buying it??? 
    Because maybe money IS a major factor in the deal and pizza employees don't usually make enough to even think about buying it.  
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:Another stop in Worcester Mass 2014/04/25 07:06:46 (permalink)
    tmiles

Wonder Bar Closed.......
    Wonder Bar on Shrewsbury St, Worcester's restaurant row, closed a few days ago. It was one of the oldest pizza shops in the country, opening (I think) in 1922, when a pizza was 35 cents. It has been run by the same family  since opening, and will open again in a few weeks. Four non family owners are in a competition to take over. One will get the secret recipe, and I hope, be successful.

Tmiles, I didn't realize this was your stompin grounds.  I have been working right around the corner for 6 months(Commons at Haynes farm), we wrap up on Thursday.  

I tried Piccolo's on Shrewsbury(not impressed), and usually hit Coral when they have $17.99 twins.
    tmiles
    Re:Another stop in Worcester Mass 2014/04/25 19:27:55 (permalink)
    joerogo

tmiles

Wonder Bar Closed.......

Tmiles, I didn't realize this was your stompin grounds.  I have been working right around the corner for 6 months(Commons at Haynes farm), we wrap up on Thursday.  

I tried Piccolo's on Shrewsbury(not impressed), and usually hit Coral when they have $17.99 twins.

I like Coral, (an excellent value) and I am a regular, but I have not posted about it because it is not
    really Roadfood, at least IMO. As far as Piccolo goes, I've heard nothing really good, and have not been. If you like seafood, Sole Propritier  (I can't seem to spell it), on Highland is top drawer. The same family runs the Chop House and Via on Shrewsbury St. Not Roadfood, again, but for those of you interested in management, if you were to drop by, you would see some of the best managed restaurants in the business. Quality is high enough, that they can charge extra, and get away with it, even in cheapo Worcester. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1