The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Any Good marketing Ideas For Small Restaurant? Do Giveaways Work?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 35 of 35
siurui

• Total Posts: 4
Re:Any Good marketing Ideas For Small Restaurant? Do Giveaways Work? Thu, 11/17/11 4:17 AM (permalink)
Foodbme

Chains spend a lot of time and money researching this topic so why not ride on their coattails. For example, Jack in the Box started a "Jacks Club". You get a Plastic Membership Card that they swipe when you make a purchase. You have to regiister your membership so they have your email for further promotions. When you've spent $50 bucks you get a free meal. It's a point for every buck you spend. They round it DOWN so you actually spend more than $50 bucks to get a free meal.
Now, I realize you don't have the computer system to support this but a manual punch card works just the same.
Waffle House has a "Regulars Club" Sign up and get Email coupons (Designed to have you buy something along with free food) I've gotten 3 coupons so far and haven't used them but they created top of mind awareness with the email. I've eaten thgere shortly after getting coupons and forgot to take them. Same with my Jacks Card. I get there, order, then discover I forgot my card. 
BTW, Jack in the Box is now operating "Munchie Mobile" FOOD TRUCKS!!!!! VERY Interesting!

i'm surprised the big chains haven't used some form of mobile loyalty thing for you to get your coupons/points.. bummer that happens to me all the time when i get my boba here in mountain view. 

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Any Good marketing Ideas For Small Restaurant? Do Giveaways Work? Thu, 11/17/11 9:17 AM (permalink)
    First of all fast food operations like Pizza chains work on a value equation, but they spend large sums of money studying  motives for buying pizza like taste, peer pressure, convenience and so on. But you and I can't afford to do that. The national chains buy their ingredients (meat, buns, spice, paper wares etc) at largely discounted prices thru volume and again we can’t afford to do that. Hell where would you store a truck load of anything? LOL

I again don't offer discounts and just read two reports about how discounts may hurt rather than help. And someone in a chain paid big $$ to have this analyzed and this report written so I agree with “Foodbme” ride their coattails and learn from it.

Here is the heart of the reports.

Promotional pricing slashes perceptions of brand values.

Consider that you've priced your product at X all year long, but now it's available for X minus Y. You can see this as offering a consumer benefit -- they're getting more for their money -- but consumers can easily come to perceive it as the "correct" price for what they're getting.  The net effect is that the experience can leave your brand less valuable, if not changed outright.

In the consumers mind they may well figure that you’re selling X at an inflated price most of the time but now that you’ve offered the discount that’s what it’s really worth.

If you took your family to a restaurant you had never been to before and weren’t aware of any specials or advertising and on the menu a T-Bone steak was $10.00 and returned in two weeks and the same steak was $15.00 you’d most likely not come back. Heck it was a good $10.00 steak but not a value at $15.00.

Generating sales is dependent on place, time, crowds, weather and other variables. So don’t trash all the good things you want consumers to associate with your operation. Stick with good  food and service, at a fair price.

Just my thoughts
    Jack

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Any Good marketing Ideas For Small Restaurant? Do Giveaways Work? Thu, 11/17/11 9:53 AM (permalink)
      Research examines how social couponing is working for hospitality operators in the case study, "To Groupon or Not to Groupon: A Tour Operator's Dilemma," where the authors explain how a regional travel operator structured a daily deal. The study demonstrates the many considerations that go into a deal with Groupon, the largest of the daily deal operators. Written by Cornell School of Hotel Administration associate professor Chekitan Dev, Laura Winter Falk (co-owner of the travel operator), and Laure Mougeot Stroock, a researcher for Cornell, the case study poses the question of whether the firm, Experience! The Finger Lakes (E!FL), should go through with a Groupon deal. Readers are invited to read the case and offer their comment or vote on whether E!FL should go ahead with Groupon....see more / download report.

siurui

• Total Posts: 4
        Re:Any Good marketing Ideas For Small Restaurant? Do Giveaways Work? Tue, 11/22/11 7:45 PM (permalink)
        has anyone had any success doing any facebook or twitter marketing? getting Likes? facebook ads? and getting customers to tell their friends about your business?

crepeflipper

• Total Posts: 18
          Re:Any Good marketing Ideas For Small Restaurant? Do Giveaways Work? Tue, 02/14/12 2:18 PM (permalink)
          A number of our customers read our FB page and follow our tweets.  Maybe it the the Oregon food truck thing, but that is how we promote news items.  I don't discount,  I believe in selling value not price, even at a food cart.

As we mainly go to farmers markets and events, we let those organizations do most of the spending for marketing.  Saves me a bundle.

A couple of things:  Know the difference between marketing and sales.   Some of the ads you see are marketing ( e.g. brand positioning and brand awareness...)  some ads are sales campaigns.  Ensure that you understand which one you want to do and are willing to pay for.

One useful tool for sales is the sales funnel.  i'm writing an article on our site (this is not trolling,  I'm not in the ad business, just don't want to type the same stuff twice).  But there are some good articles on wikipedia and other spots that bear some review.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 35 of 35

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com