Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
2008/09/25 00:55:16 (permalink)

Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There?

Dearfolk,
A thought just hit me... everything I am or ever will be I owe to reading Mad Magazine as a kid (and I'm still one in there someplace!).
Why, just a moment ago stood up and walked around to the bathroom for a sec, and when inside, my shoes went "skalit, skalit, skalit" on the tile floor. While I was hardly walking like a Don Martin character, I sure sounded like one!
"No furschlugginer way!" I hear you exclaim.
"Smek-smek-smek-smek-smek," I reply. "'Tis so!"
Now -- did any others of you read Mad?
Who were your favorite writers/artists?
I humbly await your responses while sitting beside my invisible poiuyit.
EverMadLy Yours, Ort. Carlton in Utterly Mad Athens, Georgia.

43 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 02:53:15 (permalink)
    What? Me Worry?
    jaylhorner
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 03:51:32 (permalink)
    Alfred E. Newman??
    WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1838
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 07:46:03 (permalink)
    Sergio Aragonés and his little doodles around the panes and random no-dialog one-pagers. Which lead to his very long running "Groo the Wanderer". Of which, I have nearly all.

http://www.groo.com/

jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 08:07:45 (permalink)
    I loved Mad as a Kid growing up but when they up the price to five bucks I couldnt see wasting my Money on it.Spy vs Spy was the best!Are they online?
    Ahi Mpls.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 922
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 08:11:21 (permalink)
    Loved the "fold-ins" also , there was another mag. called Crack'd { I think that's how you spell it? } anyway, was it related to MAD or just a shameless rip-off? Hmmmmm.......................
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 09:06:45 (permalink)
    And never forget, "it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide". pb
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2392
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 09:19:12 (permalink)
    I loved MAD as a kid. Ahh, Sergio and Don! The Lighter Side of... etc... I have about 50 of them in my dresser from the early 80s, all in individual plastic sleeves. Love reading them from time to time. However, I think William Gaines would be spinning in his grave if he could see what the magazine has become. I picked up a copy a couple of years ago, remembering how much I loved it as a kid and I saw that not only did they not rail against the establishment nearly as much as they used to, but it has just about turned into a billboard at this point and is filled with ads for X-Boxes and all sorts of marketing junk. Very disappointing!
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 09:27:06 (permalink)
    You hit it on the head, they stopped railing against the establishment the way they used to, thats what made it so funny! I LOVED Mad Magazine but guess what, MY KIDS HATE IT, do not find it funny at all, I can't even have it in the house, they hate the Kid's Mad Magazine too. No one will ever know what we knew about it years ago, but again my sense of humor is very dry.
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 09:38:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by WarToad

Sergio Aragonés and his little doodles around the panes and random no-dialog one-pagers. Which lead to his very long running "Groo the Wanderer". Of which, I have nearly all.

http://www.groo.com/

Sergio is fantastic.

War Toad, are you aware of Groo writer Mark Evanier's book on Mad Magazine? "Mad Art: A Visual Celebration of the Art of Mad Magazine and the Idiots who Create It" is a very through look at the magazine's artists throughout the years. Evanier occasionally writes for Mad himself. His blog can be found at www.newsfromme.com

I've been thinking about getting a subscription to Mad for awhile now. I used to really enjoy the magazine and collections when I was a kid. It'd be worth it for Sergio and the fold-ins.
    Neesie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 12:23:38 (permalink)
    MAD was never my cup of tea but I buy it for my son who doesn't really read anything else. Recently I found The Simpsons have a magazine, too, that he enjoyed. Oh well.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6174
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 12:36:57 (permalink)
    Don Martin was a hero to me, everything he penned was laugh out loud funny, there is a website where you can see much of his work.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 13:08:29 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    I have such a collection of old Mad Magazines.
    They have educated my nieces and nephews, and my daughter.
    They have twisted some of their minds, and others didn't get it.
    Unfortunately, it twisted or untwisted my mind and for such
    a small price...25 cents CHEAP, but of course the price of
    the magazine went up.
    I could repeat the praise of Don Martin, SpyvsSpy, etc.,
    but it trully was a venture out of my rural atmosphere.
    It was the first place I saw a black cartoon character,
    portrayed good or bad in it's various genre.
    Politics was such a rich open warfare, with both sides included.
    It actually taught me to look at three sides of any issue, and
    they were not afraid to look at any issue.
    The art was so good, and recall the back page that you had to
    fold to get the message?
    It was sprinkled with little bits of fun and wisdom and messages
    throughout where you didn't expect it. It was like trying to
    find Waldo, but there wasn't a Waldo, just a hidden treasure of
    humour, wisdom or absurdity.
    While the Alfred E. Neuman character seems cute, endearing or whatever,
    I mourn his existence. He is the face of so many of our leaders.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 13:37:33 (permalink)
    I was definitely a MAD fanatic as a kid and through my teens. My favorites though were the very early issues when it was still rendered in comic book form. Bill Elder was my favorite artist, followed by Jack Davis and the late, great Wally Wood. Harvey Kurtzman was the predominant writer and sole editor back then.

I got hooked on those old issues when I found some back issues in my aunt's crawl space. Even though she only had a handful of those original issues, whenever we would visit, I always ran down to the crawl space to read them over and over again; they were so inviting. There was always some new visual gag to be found hidden in the complex artwork. By the same token, as I got older, smarter, and more informed about the world, each reading opened up new appreciation for the rich, layered humor to be found in the writing.

I think as the magazine evolved, it became less subtle and more straight forward in its humor. I understand that in the last few years they have even taken to including advertising in their pages. The editors claim this has not effected their content or edtorial policies, but it's just not the same.

Buddy
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1354
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 17:01:06 (permalink)
    Growing up in rural Mississippi in the late 50s/early 60s, Mad was our connection the the big sophisticated world. The first pizza I ever heard of was in Mad; as I recall, there were sea horses hanging off of it!

Spy Vs Spy, Don Martin, Alfred E Newman... these were all wonderful. I'm afraid it has gone the way of early Saturday Night Live... once so funny, but just kind of pathetic now.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 17:26:15 (permalink)
    I bought every Mad magazine I could with my little allowance as a kid-wish I still had them!!!
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 18:20:59 (permalink)
    Potrzebie? Nov shmoz ka pop!
    This magazine warped my sensibilities at an early age. I'm going to break down and buy the digital collection - much of the earlier output with the awesome illustrations of Wally Wood, Jack Davis, and Mort Drucker I've only seen in those tiny pulp paperbacks.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6195
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 18:35:07 (permalink)
    I loved Mad magazine as a kid and read it through the early 60's...I purchased a few years ago "The Complete Mad Magazine" on cd rom...and now when the mood hits me,I surf throught back issues from the old days....Great humor!!!
    MGWerks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 18:43:38 (permalink)
    I loved Mad as well. I bought it religiously until I discovered the National Lampoon. Thus began my long descent into strange comedy.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6195
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 18:48:44 (permalink)
    Yeah...sad to say I left Mad for the more sophisticated (how silly of me) National Lampoon!!
    mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/25 20:19:45 (permalink)
    When my now 'ex' and I got married, a million years ago, we combined our Mad collections - - I had 4 or 5 of the old 10¢ Mad comic books and we had every issue from #31 on..... I stopped buying them a few years ago - - can't believe that they have advertising in them now... Bill Gaines has to be rolling over in his grave.... I hated it when Don Martin moved from Mad to Cracked.... Just wasn't the same.... And there was always something new to discover - hidden on the pages of this wonderful magazine..... Remember the avocado plant, Arthur, that would show up all over the place.... I used to hate it when someone would come over and crease the 'fold-in' last page.... I prided myself on being able to catch the joke without creasing and ruining my magazine.... I loved David Berg's look at life....
    Mad is not as edgy as it used to be.... But I still love it... I pick one up occasionally, and I do have the CD set and take trips down memory lane occasionally....
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/29 01:42:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Vince Macek
    Nov shmoz ka pop!

Vince,
    Believe it or nope, "Nov shmoz kapop" came from another place... the old comic strip "Smokey Stover," drawn by Bill Holman. When Holman passed, the strip went out of production... like "Krazy Kat," nobody else could do it justice.
    The character who said that was always hitchhiking with a huge floor lamp or something else just as ridiculous.
    Funny thing, I drove by an abandoned floor lamp (awaiting the refuse truck) the other day, immediately thought of "nov shmoz kapop," and laughed out loud, muttering those words to myself. -- If I'd had time, I would have scrounged up a friend and had them take a photo of me beside the lamp, using that as a silent caption.
    Here's to Bill Holman!
    Unshlurpingly, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/29 01:45:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mamaduck43
    ...Remember the avocado plant, Arthur, that would show up all over the place....

Mamaduck,
    Hey, I know someone (an old-hippie-lady sort) who still grows avocado seeds and calls each one of them (in turn) Arthur. Now that's FUNNY.
    Greenly Without Envy, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/29 11:30:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

I loved Mad magazine as a kid and read it through the early 60's...I purchased a few years ago "The Complete Mad Magazine" on cd rom...and now when the mood hits me,I surf throught back issues from the old days....Great humor!!!

How do you do the fold ins on your computer??
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/29 11:32:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CajunKing

How do you do the fold ins on your computer??

You gotta have a flat screen.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/29 11:37:53 (permalink)
    In my house growing up MAD or Crack'd was in the same category as Playboy, Hustler & Penthouse, it was BANNED.

So, each new issue had to be hidden away, read after school before my mother got home.

I loved each new one I got, and wore the pages out reading them and rereading them.

I still have my original copies, thin and pages torn, fold-ins creased. I get them out about once a year and read them again.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/29 11:56:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:
    Originally posted by CajunKingHow do you do the fold ins on your computer??
    Well played, LOL.

Buddy
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/29 12:15:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:
    Originally posted by CajunKingHow do you do the fold ins on your computer??
    Well played, LOL.

Buddy

WOW, I set myself up for that one!!! Thanks TonyB for hitting that one out of the park!
    LindaW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/29 13:03:22 (permalink)
    I grew up loving Mad Magazine...went through school with Chris Meglin, son of associate editor Nick Meglin...and Nick was a wild man...

Satire at it's very best.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Any Other Mad Magazine Lovers Out There? 2008/09/29 13:13:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CajunKing
    WOW, I set myself up for that one!!! Thanks TonyB for hitting that one out of the park!

We make a good team! Lets head to Vegas!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1