Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
2003/09/26 14:20:11 (permalink)

Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"?

Are there any restaurants that feature "singing waiters/waitresses" anymore? When I was a kid, Math Igler's and The Brown Bear (both German restaurants in Chicago) had "singing waiters" who waited tables and then performed individually on a small stage during the course of an evening.

The last place I saw "singing servers" (I guess that's more p.c. nowadays) was a number of years ago in Galena, IL at "The Kingston Inn". The servers would perform operatic arias or musical numbers accompanied by a piano. "The Kingston Inn" is no longer in business.

Anybody have a restaurant in their neck of the woods that still has this kind of entertainment? As usual, many thanks!

41 Replies Related Threads

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/26 14:25:47 (permalink)
    La Casa Sena in Santa Fe used to have opera singing waitstaff. Haven't been there is years though. Montaserto's (spelling wrong) on Devon in Chicago has opera dinners a few times a year. The owners wife is an opera singer and sang for a party I went to there, it was quite thrilling to hear!
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/26 14:29:55 (permalink)
    The Great Caruso has a singing "staff", and it is a fun place to go once, maybe twice, but it is a little too contrived for my taste.

The best experience I have ever had with singing waitstaff was years ago when the County Line was still open in Houston. We went for my father's birthday, and a young latin busboy sang the most beautiful song for us. It was something about Mothers and birthdays in the lyrics, but he had a lovely voice.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/26 14:39:28 (permalink)
    Not around here, unless it's your birthday and your friends, family or both go behind your back and arrange for the wait staff to totally embarass you in front of a restaurant full of people. And if your "lucky" and choose Red Lobster(I know, not real seafood)they'll put a foam lobster on your head and take your picture! How special.....
    catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/26 14:41:01 (permalink)
    In Pasadena, CA there's Mario's ("Where They Sing While You Dine"), directly adjacent to the Pasadena Playhouse. Website:

http://www.marioswheretheysingwhileyoudine.com/

It's kinda hokey but done in a spirit of good fun. (I've always been irritated by singers with operatic voices singing standards, e.g., broadway tunes, pop songs; when they perform actual opera arias, they're not too bad.) The menu is limited, but the food well-prepared ... and be prepared to pay $$$.

KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/26 14:42:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

La Casa Sena in Santa Fe used to have opera singing waitstaff. Haven't been there is years though. Montaserto's (spelling wrong) on Devon in Chicago has opera dinners a few times a year. The owners wife is an opera singer and sang for a party I went to there, it was quite thrilling to hear!

KLAND01S: Do you know if Montaserto's (sp?) is still in business? I'm always trying to find interesting places to try with my husband. We like to go on "dinner dates" sans child. I think he'd like to try one of the "Opera Dinners" there. (We both like opera. We had season tickets to the Lyric for some years, until scheduling conflicts or winter colds/flu prevented us from attending as many operas as we would've liked. Nowadays, we buy individual tickets. Do you remember the name of the opera singer? Did she sing with the Lyric? Just curious.)
    Trucky McGillis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/26 15:05:00 (permalink)
    Let me tell you - when there aren't no more of these restaurants around, it'll be to soon for me!

There's this one that I went to where the waiters would sing the specials of the day to the tune of Shania Twain songs and stuff. I'll tell you something: the people there were loving it - and some were even singing along! Although there was one guy who got mighty shirty with one of the waiters - I think he was in ducks with the wife, and he was pretty impatient, cause when the waiter started singin about thegespacho to the tune of "Feel like a woman" song, hell that man just about had a coniption, because he hauled off and wacked his glass of water right off of that table.

Well, lucky it was one of those plastic ones (you know the brown see through plastic), because it hit the ground and rattled around a little, but it didn't break. That little old waiter looked like he was gonna plumb start crying right there in front of everyone!
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/26 15:13:53 (permalink)
    The Texas Roadhouse Steak place here, (last I was there)was still doing a regular "floor show" with line dancing and singing by the staff.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/26 15:27:05 (permalink)
    Went to a Macaroni Grill recently and the waitress sang a vary operatic and, in Italian, birthday song for my spouse. At least it wasn't one of the loud, and mind-numbing birthday chants you get at some places.
    Although it wasn't singing, a place near Atlanta (Aunt Fanny's Cabin)used to have a young boy go around with a menu board over his head and do a nifty poem on the day's specials to each table.
    I go for the food, if I want entertainment I go to a show.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/26 15:44:10 (permalink)
    There are a couple of places in Philadelphia that still do it......both Italian restaurants. One is a BYOB with great singing and ok food. The other one is where Mario Lanza used to sing (as I remember hearing) and they say the food is dreadfully overpriced and not very good.

In Orlando,last October, we went to a steakhouse called Bergamo's where the waiters and waitresses sing up a storm. We really enjoyed it there and had a great (and expensive) meal. Those young kids were talented and we did not mind the cost at all!
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/26 15:50:12 (permalink)
    Our Texas Roadhouse does no performing, however before it burned down, The Longhorn Steakhouse, their waitstaff did line dancing in the aisles. I thought it was kind of obnoxious, I mean really, I find it hard to enjoy my big fat t-bone with boots stomping all around, even worse, they smack the bottom of their boots with what?? Their hands, and then SERVE FOOD! Went twice. Roadhouse is jsut across the street.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4138
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/26 16:27:56 (permalink)
    In Woodland Hills, CA, Cafe Bellisimo has some good singing waitpersons. Also, I haven't been there in several years, but Micheli's in Studio City (right near from Universal Studios) used to have some excellent singers.
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/27 02:19:47 (permalink)
    At Lone Star (franchise chain place) they sing a country western tune about every 10-15 minutes or so while line dancing in the aisles.
    At a good Greek Restaurant in San Pedro (name escapes me) they do a show with singing and belly dancers while you dine. No stage, just right there next to the tables.
    At the Bavarian Hunter Gasthaus in Stillwater, Minnesota, Gus, the accordian player goes from table to table and plays "stump the musician" all day Sundays. And he is good!
    One time they had Mariachis at the El Paso BBQ in Tucson, (another chain)
    But sorry, no waiter (or waitress) has ever sung to me.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4138
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/27 14:24:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by spadoman

At a good Greek Restaurant in San Pedro (name escapes me) they do a show with singing and belly dancers while you dine. No stage, just right there next to the tables.

Are you referring to Papadakis Taverna?
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/27 20:18:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

quote:
    Originally posted by spadoman

Are you referring to Papadakis Taverna?

That could be the place, Ed, they come around with an assortment of meat, lamb chops about 5 inches thick,. I remember going to san Pedro to eat there and the performers were great. Even though they were right on top of you, it seemed OK, maybe because the food was good as well as the service. I'll call my friend out there and see if that's the place. Thanks for the bit of info.!
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/28 00:12:55 (permalink)
    Victor Cafe in Philadelphia has wonderful singing waiters. The selections from famous operas are worthy of the standing ovations patrons offer.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/29 09:59:17 (permalink)
    KimChee43, Monastero's is at 3935 West Devon, 773-588-2515. I was just there in July for a party at which she sang. I do not know her name other than "Joe's wife" Joe being the owner but yes, I believe she sang or does sing with the Lyric.
    KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/29 13:53:04 (permalink)
    quote:

KimChee43, Monastero's is at 3935 West Devon, 773-588-2515. I was just there in July for a party at which she sang. I do not know her name other than "Joe's wife" Joe being the owner but yes, I believe she sang or does sing with the Lyric.

KLANDO1S: Thank you for passing that along to me! By the way, there used to be another German restaurant in Elgin which I totally forgot about until today. It is (was?) called "Gasthaus zur Linde", and it is (was?) right downtown someplace. Does this ring a bell with you? If so, do you know if it's still there and if the food is any good?

It was neat to read about your stint at the Dundee Post Office. I grew up near Dundee. Totally off topic, but did you ever eat Anne's Pizza in Old Carpentersville? (That was our favorite--I miss it.) How about bowling and pizza afterwards at Masi's (also long gone, although they still do carryout in Carpentersville)?
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/29 14:46:27 (permalink)
    Got to agree with Trucky on this one. I just don't enjoy a staff of waiters and waitresses stopping what they are doing to do five minutes of a Broadway show when I am either trying to eat my pasta or trying to order a drink.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/29 16:52:11 (permalink)
    I don't know if the staff or clientele or professional musicians do the singing, but I'm looking in the Charleston (SC) yellow pages at a place called Tommy Condon's Pub, the ad for which says, "A bit of frolic, laughter & song for the whole family..." We've got too many other meals to eat, though.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/29 17:13:06 (permalink)
    There's a place in Nashville I used to like to go to. Right across from the Opryland Hotel, there's a place called the Nashville Palace. The food was so-so, but there was lots of good entertainment, and many times the guy/gal who just served you a beer would be up on stage singing. I thought it was fun.

Randy Travis got his "start" here. I know the place is still open, but I don't know if they still do it like they used to. I assume so.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/30 11:38:52 (permalink)
    KimChee43, the Elgin area tour guide web page shows Gasthaus Zur Linde at 15 North Grove. I'm pretty sure I saw an ad for them recently as well. Talk about nostalgia, I had Monday off and decided to drive north to Algonquin, I passed the Milk Pail and lots of things I didn't recognize but I had a wonderful lunch at Port Edwards in Algonquin. I had a thick and juicy burger with blue cheese and my companion had stuffed lobster which as a lunch item was only $12! I grew up in Algonquin and went to Dundee High.

The Lone Star in Aurora doesn't have the singing staff but maybe I've gone at the wrong time. Not too long ago I was taken to Joe's Crab Shack where they did a lengthy production number that was really annoying.
    KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/30 12:38:34 (permalink)
    quote:

KimChee43, the Elgin area tour guide web page shows Gasthaus Zur Linde at 15 North Grove. I'm pretty sure I saw an ad for them recently as well. Talk about nostalgia, I had Monday off and decided to drive north to Algonquin, I passed the Milk Pail and lots of things I didn't recognize but I had a wonderful lunch at Port Edwards in Algonquin. I had a thick and juicy burger with blue cheese and my companion had stuffed lobster which as a lunch item was only $12! I grew up in Algonquin and went to Dundee High.

The Lone Star in Aurora doesn't have the singing staff but maybe I've gone at the wrong time. Not too long ago I was taken to Joe's Crab Shack where they did a lengthy production number that was really annoying.

KLAND01S: Goodness, we haven't been to Port Edward in years, and we'd been wondering if it was still there. Do they still have the pond with "the boat" floating in it? (I remember that years ago, it was a big deal to eat on "the boat". You had to make reservations very far in advance.) Do you remember Simonini's in Algonquin? My parents used to go there once in a while for dinner back in the '60s. I think it eventually burned down. We'd make a special trip to the Algonquin bakery for donuts and Danish after White Cross Bakery closed in Dundee. The Algonquin bakery used to be pretty good. Haven't been there in years either. Have a great day, KLAND01S. I enjoy your posts. And thanks for the info about Gasthaus Zur Linde and the other two places you mentioned in your post.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2003/09/30 13:23:41 (permalink)
    This is getting crazy KimChee43! My parents just about lived at Simonini's, we ate there alot. I knew a number of the Simonini kids growing up and we would go into the restaurant kitchen for snacks. The 2 houses that were on the hill above Sim's was were the family lived and did for years untill the State redid that intersection. Port Edward is still very good and has a great Sunday buffet and yes, they still have the little boat inside, I think the wait list is still a year.

http://www.portedward.com/
    mjhorman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2005/10/10 14:21:36 (permalink)
    My son is a singing waiter at the "Miles Away Cafe" in Stoughton Wisconsin. He is a graduate Opera student but also sings show tunes and some classic rock. After he graduates he is looking for a similar type of restaurant in the Northeast. Does any one know of any?
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5237
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2005/10/10 14:34:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mjhorman

My son is a singing waiter at the "Miles Away Cafe" in Stoughton Wisconsin.
    I was just about to mention Miles Away but you beat me to it. However, I'll chip in with the website: http://www.milesawaycafe.com/. I've perused the menu in the front window on more than 1 occasion but have yet to stop in...maybe the next time the kids have been shipped out of state for the weekend.

Brad
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2005/10/11 10:56:50 (permalink)
    There are couple places in Portland where the staff breaks into line dancing periodically. And at the Hard Rock in Vegas the staff broke into dance when YMCA played.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2005/10/11 11:48:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by KimChee43

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by kland01s

KLANDO1S: Thank you for passing that along to me! By the way, there used to be another German restaurant in Elgin which I totally forgot about until today. It is (was?) called "Gasthaus zur Linde", and it is (was?) right downtown someplace. Does this ring a bell with you? If so, do you know if it's still there and if the food is any good?

It was neat to read about your stint at the Dundee Post Office. I grew up near Dundee. Totally off topic, but did you ever eat Anne's Pizza in Old Carpentersville? (That was our favorite--I miss it.) How about bowling and pizza afterwards at Masi's (also long gone, although they still do carryout in Carpentersville)?
    I had my tape player, tapes, and a bunch of Snap On tools stolen from my van parked in front of Team Electronics at Meadowdale. This was years ago but it gave me a pretty good idea of Carpentersville and the mindset it carried. Funny thing, i had two muddy Yamaha YZ 250's in there they didn't touch. LOL! La Margarita in Schaumburg has some strolling musicians. One guy with that HUGE guitar...Also La Tasca in Arl Hts IL has singers and such on a regular basis. Best bet= La Tasca.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1455
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2005/10/11 12:45:37 (permalink)
    There's a nice little Italian waiter at Roselie's Cucina in Skaneateles, NY who's been known to break into song every now and then. I haven't been there in a while though...finding the pricess getting higher and the quality getting lower...nothing to sing about...
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Any Places Left That Have "Singing Waiters"? 2005/10/11 14:07:54 (permalink)
    Jeepguy, if you look up thread I have a post from 9/30/03 with an address for Gasthaus zur Linde. I haven't been in Elgin for awhile but I think it's still there. We used to frequent Masi's for pizza, when I was a teen at Dundee High, we used to think it was a real thrill to walk through the bar to get to the upstairs dining room! Also upthread I mentioned Monaserto's in Chicago, they still have their opera dinners
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1