Any dishwashers out there?

Author
Queen of clean
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2013/04/11 22:44:59 (permalink)

Any dishwashers out there?

So this is my first time as a dishwasher, needed a job to keep the family going and this was my only option at the time that fit with my husband schedule. Anyways I'll make this quick. I have no idea if I'm doing a good job, I do my best and when it's busy I won't even take brakes so I can keep things going. I work at pacini so not only do I have to wash dishes put them away ect, but need to make water and clean the bread grill, now I'm not a big person so thee grill is a challenge but on a good day I can get everything done in about an hour, hour and a half after closing time, what I have noticed is the wonderful kitchen staff ( the only ones that know I'm alive) do help me out ( I'm the only one working nights during the week besides Fridays) help me out by sweeping mopping putting their stuff away and wonderfully helpe with the grill. I never ask they jut do it. But is it normal for them to help? I'm just worried I'm too slow ( it's been 3 weeks) and being a pain. Like I said I don't know how things work and I do appreciate the help ( only when they aren't busy of course) once one helped me with the dishes cause I was getting far behind due to servers just putting everything everywhere and just the sudden rush and with just me there. Do kitchen staff normally help or am I a list cause. I think I'm doing a good job considering everything.. Just would like to ease my mind

12 Replies Related Threads

daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:Any dishwashers out there? 2013/04/12 02:17:02 (permalink)
    don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
    a.mckenna
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Any dishwashers out there? 2013/04/12 10:31:19 (permalink)
    If they are smiling when they are helping your all good. If they look unhappy, you got a problem. I didn't go to culinary school and train as a chef, so I have a personal thing about proving myself. I have worked in 5 or 6 restaurants and always apply as a dishwasher. Mind you within a week I have moved up the chain...

In a kitchen that is functioning correctly, the rest the staff should have no problem helping out if your flying solo. Working in a commercial kitchen is all about team work.

You might offer to help other positions when you can.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2511
    Re:Any dishwashers out there? 2013/04/12 10:47:21 (permalink)
    If your not doing a good job, you would hear about it. Remember your job is just as important as anyone else in the kitchen. When the front line needs something washed quick, make sure it's done as fast as possible. ..............Great job..............pnwc
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7288
    Re:Any dishwashers out there? 2013/04/12 11:07:41 (permalink)
    A good dishwasher is as important as a good line cook.  My staff and I always treated them like gold.  Once I had a teenage dishwasher walk out in the middle of dinner service and it was not fun for us to cook and scrub sauté pans at the same time!  My cooks were responsible for cleaning their own stations so that at the end of the night all that was left were the mats and the floor. 
    During the "rush" we would often ask the dishwashers to go get something for us.  Once we asked for a "bucket of ice" and he came back with a "box of rice"!
    Keep up the good work.  We all know it's pretty much a suck job but you are greatly appreciated! 
    Queen of clean
    Junior Burger
    Re:Any dishwashers out there? 2013/04/12 11:12:22 (permalink)
    Oh don't get me wrong I very much appreciate them helping me an I always ask if they need help. But it's good to know that it's a team work thing makes me feel better :). And a. McKenna, you moved up that fast? Mind you I don't have experience at all with food but I heard that sometimes as a dishwasher the line cooks will ask for help with some stuff and jut eventually move up? Would be nice, the only thing I have under my belt is retail and telling you I do not want to go back lol, I'll stay a dishwasher if I have to, it's the bottom of the totem pole but what I keep telling myself is that I'm not here for others and to be accepted, I'm here to put clothes on my kids bucks and a roof over our heads, would be more fun though to go to work with people who knew you were a human being don't get me wrong. But that's a whole different subject. Thanks guys for your inputs I feel much better and I know I'm doin alright. :)
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7288
    Re:Any dishwashers out there? 2013/04/12 11:17:26 (permalink)
    Queen
    I had a Brazilian dishwasher, didn't speak much English but he was fast and smart as a whip.  Kept asking me, "How do you call this in English?"  I moved him to the salad/dessert station.  Then to sauté.  Then to the grill.  Then to expeditor.  Hopefully your kitchen manager/chef will do the same. 
    a.mckenna
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Any dishwashers out there? 2013/04/12 12:04:27 (permalink)
    My first job at the age of 14 (no kitchen experience at this point obviously) was at a Lebanese deli working for a really angry old Lebanese guy. Started out washing dishes, continually offered to help elsewhere, eventually I started doing prep work, then back up on pantry, occasional line work, etc etc.

Point is, learn from those around you, offer to help if you think you can. If you show ambition and show you can do other jobs in the kitchen someone will take notice.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Any dishwashers out there? 2013/04/12 13:16:05 (permalink)
    The people that moved out of the dishroom on to the front line, were people that went the extra mile. They would come in early to learn a station, work with the prep and get good at using a knife on the off times, and also learned all the equipment in the kitchen. What you need to do is make yourself my valuable to the operation. If I have a good dishwasher, why would I want to loose them, they are hard to replace. If I have a good dishwasher that knows another position, and is good at that position, you just moved up the ranks in value to me. I can train anyone how to wash dishes quickly, I can't teach someone a line position real quick. When I first started in this business, I started at the bottom, I moved up quickly, managed Restaurants and then had my own business for 15 yrs..........pnwc
    SantacruzTacoCo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    Re:Any dishwashers out there? 2013/04/12 16:55:57 (permalink)
    I also started as a dishwasher and moved up quickly and the only people who would often look down on me were those who went to culinary school always acting arrogant and condescending, but the other people were really nice, I often came in early and helped the line cooks setup and peel and chop vegetables, when the executive chef saw my interest and aptitude he moved me up to prep, then cold line.
    unfortunately he moved to another restaurant but quickly called me to offer me a position as a broil man, which I took, after that tried saute' then we parted ways.
    the one thing that really irritated me was when the waiters or bus boys would leave a tray full of dirty dished right in everyone's way.
    but anyways I'm pretty sure if you weren't doing a good job you would've heard from your manager by now. 
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Any dishwashers out there? 2013/04/12 20:41:44 (permalink)
    Santacruz, do you remember SpenceCliff Corp in Hawaii, I worked for them in the 80's A few Restaurants in Ala Moana ctr and Cocco's at the beginning of Kalakaua ave..............
    SantacruzTacoCo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    Re:Any dishwashers out there? 2013/04/13 00:39:43 (permalink)
    Sorry chef! I moved here in the early 90's fresh outta HS, and lived in Maui until 1999, been in Oahu ever since tho.

ukaserex
    Junior Burger
    Re:Any dishwashers out there? 2013/04/30 21:26:01 (permalink)
    I'm a little late to reply - just found this site. Regardless, a lot of people look at the dishwasher like the low man on the pole - and it truly puzzles me why.

That one position can really cause a restaurant to sink or swim! Think about those periodic health inspections! In any event, in most restaurants I've worked at, it was fairly common for servers to help the dishwasher, or anyone else that was busy trying to finish their duties. When a restaurant closes at night, the management will usually try to get all the staff out of the door at the same time so they can all walk out together. I know that years ago, Outback was like that, as was Hooters.

One thing you should know - a lot of dishes "look" clean, but in the morning, they're not! Never overload your machine to save time -(they don't get very clean that way)  we'll just restack them to be washed, ready and waiting for you first thing in the morning.  I cannot tell you how many times I've grabbed a pan and when I was about to put something in it, I would notice specks of food that had dried on it, having hung on through the wash and rinse cycle of the dish machine. The dishwasher has so many pots to do, they don't usually inspect the pans as they pull them out, thinking with their flawed logic that it's clean dirt and if the dishmachine doesn't clean the pan, it's not their fault.
    Just do the best you can - go fast, but not too fast. During non-peak times, you might be able to mosey over to the line and ask the cook questions about how things are done on the line. One never knows how it could turn out....
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1