The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Any favorite Country Captain recipes?

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
Any favorite Country Captain recipes? Sun, 03/14/10 5:22 PM (permalink)
Does anyone have a favorite and tried and true Country Captain recipe?  I've looked some up the Internet, but does anyone have a favorite?

Andrea

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
    Re:Any favorite Country Captain recipes? Sun, 03/14/10 6:18 PM (permalink)
    I've heard good replies about Bobby Flay's recipe on the Food TV web site. That's the one I plan to try soon. I've not made Country Captain yet.

Trask

• Total Posts: 114
      Re:Any favorite Country Captain recipes? Sun, 03/14/10 6:35 PM (permalink)
      I have tried this one and enjoyed it very much.

Cecily Brownstone's Country Captain Adapted from Jame's Beard's American Cookery.
      Ingredients [size=3 font="times new roman"]1 frying chicken (about 2 1/2 pounds ready-to-cook weight)
      1/4 cup flour
      1 teaspoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
      4 tablespoons butter
      1/3 cup finely diced onion
      1/3 cup finely diced green pepper
      1 clove garlic (crushed)
      1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
      1/2 teaspoon dried crushed thyme
      1 can (1 pound) stewed tomatoes
      3 tablespoons dried currants (washed and drained)
      Blanched toasted almonds
      Procedure 1. Cut chicken into 8 pieces (2 breast, 2 wings, 2 legs, 2 thighs). Reserve back, wing tips, neck, and giblets for another use. Was and drain chicken; coat with a mixture of the flour, salt, and pepper. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat, and brown the chicken.
      2. Remove chicken; add the onion, green pepper, garlic, curry powder, and thyme to skillet. Reduce heat to low and loosen any browned particles. Add the stewed tomatoes with their liquid; return chicken to skillet, skin side up. Cover and cook slowly until tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Stir currants into the sauce. Serve accompanied by almonds.
      Note: After chicken is browned and sauce is made, the dish may be baked, covered, in a 325°F oven until tender, about 45 minutes.
      1 Comment: [size=3 font="times new roman"]I cooked this often, when newly married. I used the recipe from the Joy of Cooking which is similar to the one above. Overcome by nostalgia, a year ago, I made it again. It is delicious. I have changed it a bit to suit our taste. I use thighs, a little more and much better curry powder, fresh thyme, more onion and green pepper. Great for a cold winter night.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
        Re:Any favorite Country Captain recipes? Mon, 03/15/10 12:13 PM (permalink)
        Thanks tcrouzer and Trask!  I'll be making this for the first time tonight.  It will probably be a mix of the way Bobby Flay makes it (I saw the video on youtube) and the recipe Trask posted.  Bobby Flay uses coconunt milk in the rice, and I don't think I'll be doing that.

Andrea

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
          Re:Any favorite Country Captain recipes? Mon, 03/15/10 4:19 PM (permalink)
           We tried Rachael Ray's version and liked it very much. She does not use the coconut milk. I use a mild curry powder but may order some of the hotter stuff from Penzey's to give it  more of a kick.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
            Re:Any favorite Country Captain recipes? Tue, 03/16/10 6:17 AM (permalink)
            My version is like the James Beard version. Sometimes I add cut okra to it.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9551
              Re:Any favorite Country Captain recipes? Fri, 04/16/10 9:46 PM (permalink)
              There was a Bobby Flay "Throwdown" on FN today. He lost to 2 brothers from SC. I never heard of this "Country Captain" dish before. It has an interesting name. Does anyone know the origin of the name?

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
                Re:Any favorite Country Captain recipes? Sat, 04/17/10 8:33 AM (permalink)
                Seems the history/origin are a wee bit clouded...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/25/magazine/25food-t-000.html?_r=1 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com