Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC?

Author
cwjudyjr
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
2011/07/06 20:58:20 (permalink)

Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC?

Heading to DC tomorrow and will be in the Alexandria area.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Corad

17 Replies Related Threads

i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2011/07/06 21:23:08 (permalink)

There is, indeed, "good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C." but, alas,
    it is not near Alexandria but near Dulles Airport in Chantilly, Virginia and at:

FYI and in the event that your Northern Virginia
    travels take you anywhere near IAD.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 502
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2011/07/06 22:15:27 (permalink)
    I second I95's recommendation for Williard's in Chantilly.  I have been there a couple of times on business trips and have found it a great oasis in a sea of chain restaurants.
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2011/07/07 08:05:41 (permalink)

Oops. I just remembered that there's an outpost of this
    local barbeque operation in Alexandria, Virginia specifically:

25 South Quaker Lane, 703-778-9663

I always think of D.C. (and their Wisconsin Avenue,
    NW location) when I think of Rocklands but the above
    noted Alexandria location (off of Duke Street) is supposed
    to be good sized (the D.C. location is very small) as it hosts
    the more than two-decade old barbeque company's catering
    operations. (I've only been to the D.C. location but, indeed,
    very good Q!.) 

P.S. Did the Generous George's (pizza) -- now in Herndon,
    Virginia -- close its Duke Street location in Alexandria (just a
    stone's throw from the aforementioned Rocklands)?
    Mariaehlana
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2011/07/07 08:20:35 (permalink)
    The Pit Stop at Gilbert's Corner has the best ribs I've ever eaten. (There isn't an actual restaurant at Gilbert's Corner, the guy brings out his smoker and a tent on Sat/Sun.)  
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4000
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2011/07/09 16:35:31 (permalink)
    Buffalo Tarheel

I second I95's recommendation for Williard's in Chantilly.  I have been there a couple of times on business trips and have found it a great oasis in a sea of chain restaurants.

I "third" it!

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2011/07/09 16:51:15 (permalink)
    i95 

P.S. Did the Generous George's (pizza) -- now in Herndon,
    Virginia -- close its Duke Street location in Alexandria (just a
    stone's throw from the aforementioned Rocklands)?

Sadly, yes.  http://www.nbcwashington.com/the-scene/food-drink/59942547.html

As their store had a large amount of frontage that blocked access to undeveloped lots in back they probably lost their lease if their landlord went for fair market on a renewal.  They served very tasty NY-style pies, the thin crust soft enough to fold.
    Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 281
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2011/07/09 19:22:50 (permalink)
    Willard's sounds good, have not been there, but plan to someday. 

With all due respect I-95, and granted it was not the DC location, and yes this was enough to make me temporarily de-lurk, I had some of the worst food I have even been served at the Rockville Rocklands location.  Absolutely foul.  Wretchedly, monumentally bad.

If anyone is above the beltway and looking for some good Q I heartily recommend Urban BBQ www.urbanbbqco.com/.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 551
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2011/07/11 11:02:03 (permalink)

Our favorite BBQ in the area is Dixie Bones in Woodbridge, VA, about 20-25 miles south of DC.   (Not to be confused with the national chain called "Smokey Bones").

For BBQ, we often go for pork, but at Dixie Bones, their best item is the BBQ beef brisket, in our opinion.  Great pies there, too.    

Janet and Glenn

hughbeal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2012/01/11 01:24:08 (permalink)
    I just posted the same information in the 'Ben's Whole Hog' thread, but you've got to check out Carolina Brothers in Ashburn.  Beats the living daylights out of Dixie Bones (Q from 'Bama - seriously?).  Best 'que north of the border that I've found (sorry Kings, original location not Crater Road).  The ribs are the star, pulled pork and brisket good.  Slaw is bland to the point of wallboard - avoid. 
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2012/01/11 08:25:01 (permalink)
    hughbeal

I just posted the same information in the 'Ben's Whole Hog' thread, but you've got to check out Carolina Brothers in Ashburn.  Beats the living daylights out of Dixie Bones (Q from 'Bama - seriously?).  Best 'que north of the border that I've found (sorry Kings, original location not Crater Road).  The ribs are the star, pulled pork and brisket good.  Slaw is bland to the point of wallboard - avoid. 

DAMN! 

Why did these guys open AFTER I moved to Dallas?

http://www.carolinabrothers.com/index.html

I go to NOVA every Spring/Summer just to play golf on real golf courses.  (What passes for grass in Texas is a joke; rye fairways and bent greens are impossible "down here").  I plan to hit the Carolina Bros. right out of IAD.

Thanks for the info, hughbeal!  (And welcome to Roadfood).
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 551
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2012/01/16 03:59:40 (permalink)

Carolina Brothers is located at the old Partlow's General Store on Ashburn Rd.  It's pretty good.  We do prefer Dixie Bones, overall.... but not for pork.  We like the brisket at Dixie Bones.  

The one negative issue we have with with Carolina Brothers pork is that their suace has tomato paste as the second ingredient, as well as brown sugar  and regular sugar in the ingredients.   It's okay, but with all that tomato paste and sugar, it ain't "Carolina" to eastern Carolina fans like us.    
    Carolina Brothers is still pretty good for what it is. 

Sure, Dixie Bones is not Carolina style, either, but they don't portray themselves as "Carolina."

For really good eastern Carolina style pork in NoVA, try Carolina Smokehouse on Old Carolina Rd. in Haymarket.    I think they have some TX style BBQ, too.   Been a while since we've been out there.  Need to go again soon. 

Glenn

rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2012/01/16 18:52:41 (permalink)
    Give King Street Blues a try...haven't been there for years but I never had a bad experience........it's in Old Town Alexandria.

http://www.kingstreetblues.com/oldtown/

Wow! Looks like they've expanded....three locations now...I've only bee to the Old Town location it's the original as far as I know.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2012/01/19 11:33:14 (permalink)
    My goodness, I forgot to tell you about one of my favorite BBQ "thangs" in NOVA:  the Eastern Carolina BBQ sandwich at Weenie Beenies in Arlington (corner of Shirlington & Four Mile Run Rds., just off 395's Shirlington exit).  Reviewed here on Roadfood:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/6290/weenie-beenie
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10083
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2012/01/19 11:49:25 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim-
    You are 100% right!  I usually just get half smokes at Weenie Beenie, but on my visit last year, we decided to try the Carlina BBQ sandwich and it was excellent!

post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/01/20 08:59:02
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 640
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2012/01/19 12:56:56 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

MetroplexJim-
    You are 100% right!  I usually just get half smokes at Weenie Beenie, but on my visit last year, we decided to try the Carlina BBQ sandwich and it was excellent!
    Metroplex Jim, do you recall if they gave you, or ask if you wanted, a packet of Texas Pete's Hot Sauce with sandwich?  When I worked in Wash. D.C., I would often go there and get the sandwich, with coleslaw on top, and they always put in a packet of Texas Pete's. 

post edited by eruby - 2012/01/19 13:02:07
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10083
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2012/01/19 12:59:26 (permalink)
    eruby-
    I don't remember getting a packet of Texas Pete's for the bbq sandwich, but it has been almost an entire year, so my memory could be faulty.  Sorry!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Any good BBQ in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC? 2012/01/19 13:45:17 (permalink)
    eruby

buffetbuster

MetroplexJim-
    Metroplex Jim, do you recall if they gave you, or ask if you wanted, a packet of Texas Pete's Hot Sauce with sandwich?  When I worked in Wash. D.C., I would often go there and get the sandwich, with coleslaw on top, and they always put in a packet of Texas Pete's. 

I always ask for the large sandwich, hold the slaw, add hot sauce; the bun is always toasted.  They squirt the hot sauce out of a plastic bottle.

Their 'cue is produced by Brookwood Farms of Siler City, NC; they purchase through their local distributor, Schenck Foods of Winchester, VA. 

Yes, it comes out of a can, but so does Beluga caviar.

Here's how to buy it online direct from Brookwood:  http://brookwoodfarms.com/assets/php/sideMenu-pages/store.php 
    And, it seems that Harris-Teeter carries this product in their deli case labelled simply as "Carolina BBQ".

Weenie Beenie (I think) buys the food service quantity (by the case of four 5# tubs) of a slightly different product:  chopped pork bbq. with vinegar sauce.  (Perhaps they use the TVP product; in any case it's damn tasty!).
    http://brookwoodfarms.com/BrookwoodBrochure2011web.pdf 

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/01/19 18:08:01
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1