Any must eats NYC to FL?

Author
MOC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 40
2003/12/26 19:56:04 (permalink)

Any must eats NYC to FL?

We're planning a looong road trip NYC to Florida this week. Any places we should not miss en route on I95?

15 Replies Related Threads

JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Any must eats NYC to FL? 2003/12/26 21:32:15 (permalink)
    Here are 3 world class barbeque along your route:

North Carolina: Parker's Barbecue on US 301 in Wilson would offer you an authentic North Carolina barbeque experience at lunch or dinner. Parker's is a reasonable detour from I95 and is an experience that absolutely warrants the few extra miles. I like their pork barbecue and fried chicken dinner served family style.

South Carolina. Visit Sweatman's Bar-B-Q on SC Route 453 outside Holly Hill for a once-in-a-lifetime barbeque AYCE experience par excellence. But your visit has to be on a Friday or Saturday, the only days they're open. On my first pass, I drove up from Charleston and found them closed for 4 weeks vacation (I have the phone number now, 803-492-7543). If you like pork barbequed slowly over hardwood coals, you will have the time of your life there. They do it all - chopped pork, pulled pork, ribs and pork hash over rice. It is barbeque buffet Heaven! Sweatman's is a very reasonable distance from the interstate and a nice drive.

Georgia. The Georgia Pig at Brunswick is an authentic old shack sitting in the piney woods. From I 95 southbound, take exit 6 for Jekyll Island and turn left onto US 17; it's on the left by a Texaco station. The Pig barbeques Boston butt over oak, hickory, pecan and other fruit woods in an open pit and serve up great sandwiches with a tangy tomato based sauce. If the weather is nice, eat your sandwiches at the picnic tables under the pines.

Jane and Michael's books have good reviews of all three places. Fortuanately, the Roadfood Web site has full Jane and Michael reviews of Sweatman's and The Georgia Pig. With pictures. Wait till ya see dem pictures! Wait till you read the reviews!

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Any must eats NYC to FL? 2003/12/27 10:11:54 (permalink)
    I guess the GA Pig is OK BBQ- if you like your BBQ with an ATITUDE- personally, I'll never go back to that place. life's too short to have to put up with their crap.

Try Don's Famous BBQ in Pooler, Ga. It's about a mile off I-95 at the Savannah Airport exit, about 15 miles south of the S. Carolina border.
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Any must eats NYC to FL? 2003/12/27 11:02:13 (permalink)
    If you get the urge for some good seafood around Washington, DC, come off of I95 at exit 15B (Central Avenue) and go to Cameron's Seafood Market at 8807 Central Avenue in Capital Heights, MD. All of the seafood is fresh, well prepared, and reasonably priced. My favorite is the Ultimate seafood platter. It consists of a fish fillet, a crabcake, and scallops and shrimp. Available either fried or broiled, it's a bargain at 12 or 13 dollars and a challenge to finish at one sitting.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7835
    RE: Any must eats NYC to FL? 2003/12/27 11:12:19 (permalink)
    Although a little out of the way, stop at Gaetano's in Mt Laurel NJ for phenomonal Cheese Steaks on "the other side of the river" from Philly. For the best crabcakes go to G & M carryout in Linthicum MD just south of Baltimore. If you get to Richmond in time for dinner try Dabney's near the Greyhound Bus Depot for succulent fried chicken, spoon bread and southern style green beans.
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Any must eats NYC to FL? 2003/12/27 15:33:53 (permalink)
    When is your trip.

In Baltimore, G & M for crabcakes is just 2 miles off 95,left at bottom of the Nursery Rd exit, off 695 as you head to 295. Then you can continue south to DC on 295.

IN Richmond I like Bill's BBQ just to the right of the Boulevard exit as you take 95 thru the city. Real squeezed limeaid and NC style BBQ with chocolate cream pie for dessert.

At the Garden St exit in Titusville Florida head towards the ocean to Dixie Crossroads for rock shrimp and the best hush puppies ever.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Any must eats NYC to FL? 2003/12/27 20:48:26 (permalink)
    One more idea. You could take this opportunity to visit one of the South's most beloved dining rooms, Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House at 107 W. Jones Street in Savannah (912-232-5997). For lunch only. Mrs. Wilkes passed on last Fall, and the business closed for a while for some kitchen remodeling. They've reopened. The Sterns have long included Mrs. Wilkes in their dining guides.

Incidentally, the Sterns use the name, Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room and I know it by Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House. Maybe the name has changed.

Here's Jane and Michael's Web site review:

West Jones Street is a boulevard of antique brick houses with curving steps and graceful cast iron bannisters. At 10:30 each morning a line begins to form at #107. Although there is no commercial sign outside, the serious student of Roadfood can tell you what is going on. At 11 o'clock, the doors of 107 open and the lunch crowd finds seats at one of the large tables-for-ten shared by strangers. And so begins the daily feast, boarding-house-style.

The tabletops are crowded with platters of fried chicken and cornbread dressing, sweet potato souffles, black-eyed peas, okra gumbo, corn muffins and biscuits. The menu changes daily so regulars can have something different every day (although you can always count on fried chicken). Mrs. Wilkes stopped taking in boarders in 1965, but her tables demand the vigorous exercise of a boarding house reach.

As at any southern feast worth its cracklin' cornbread, there are constellations of vegetable casseroles: great, gooey, buttery bowls full of squash au gratin and scalloped eggplant, cheese grits, corn pudding, pineapple-flavored yams topped with melted marshmallows, creamed corn enriched with bacon drippings, green rice (mixed with broccoli and celery); brown rice (with mushrooms and soy sauce); and the low-country legend, Savannah red rice.

When Mrs. Wilkes first started serving meals in this dining room in 1943, there were many similar places in cities throughout the region, where boarders as well as frugal local citizens gathered to enjoy the special pleasure of a meal shared with neighbors and strangers. Now, the take-some-and-pass-the-bowl style of the old boarding house is a rarity. Mrs. Wilkes passed away in 2003, but her establishment remains a prized opportunity to indulge in the delicious food – and the cordial foodways – of a culinary tradition that values sociability as much as a good macaroni salad.

-Michael Stern
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Any must eats NYC to FL? 2003/12/27 21:17:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Try Don's Famous BBQ in Pooler, Ga. It's about a mile off I-95 at the Savannah Airport exit, about 15 miles south of the S. Carolina border.

I would second the suggestion for Don's Famous Bar-B-Q. A friend in St. Marys tells me the owner is from Lexington, the barbeque capital of North Carolina. Don's slowly cooks Boston butts over hardwood coals in a closed pit and chops the meat by hand as it's ordered. The sauce is a Lexington type dip. It would be authentic Lexington style que in coastal Georgia except that in Lexington, everyone cooks shoulders.

I have Don's on a list of must visit places when I'm in that area. They're at 217 East U.S. Hwy. 80, Pooler. Phone 912-748-8400. Closed Sundays.

If you stop there, how about giving us a report?
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Any must eats NYC to FL? 2003/12/28 02:58:36 (permalink)
    Another popular "boarding house" type place in Savannah is Lady and Sons, right downtown and open for all 3 meals. You may have seen Paula Dean(Lady)on the Food Network.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Any must eats NYC to FL? 2003/12/29 17:58:24 (permalink)
    JimInKy: Ask your friend in St Mary's about the old hotel there with the great dining room ( and also a very lively bar crowd). We have stopped there several times in the past few years just to have the rock shrimp - they are great. Sorry, can't remember the name of the place, but St Mary's is small and I think it's the only little old fashioned type hotel in town. Hope you get to Don's soon - it is very good pig! We'll be doing the I-95 trip starting about January 10 and will time our trip to arrive at Don's at lunch time. We also hope to get to Faidley's in Baltimore for crab cakes this trip.
    MOC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Any must eats NYC to FL? 2004/01/03 12:03:51 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions. We tried the Georgia Pig and it was terrific. I won't be able to eat ribs up North again after those! It was a beautiful day and as we licked our fingers at the picnic table, we pitied the folks across the street at the Golden Arches.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Any must eats NYC to FL? 2004/01/03 18:37:27 (permalink)
    If you haven't made the return trip yet---

Go about 20 miles east of I-95 to Goldsboro, North Carolina and get some BBQ at "Wilber's".
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Any must eats NYC to FL? 2004/01/03 21:06:05 (permalink)
    Gaetano's, in NJ, isn't that far from NYC to talk about roadfood -- Carolina/Georgia bbq and that sort of thing. But I've had some hoagies/subs/whatever from Gaetano's that had provolone and peperoni with enough attitude to hit you upside the head. Worth a day trip from NYC.

Check the seafood places on the Roadfood list in Delaware, just south of Wilmington. A few miles off I95, but worth it.
    Leemart
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Any must eats NYC to FL? 2004/01/03 21:13:54 (permalink)
    I have to second the recommendation for Dixie Crossroads, in Titusville, FL. The owner, Rodney Thompson, made a fortune by figuring out what to do with the Rock Shrimp that his deep trawlers kept bringing up while searching for Royal Red Shrimp. He, alone, was responsible for introducing this delectible little sea creature to the American public. I prefer them best split and broiled, just like a lobster. Crossroads also serves excellent dishes of Maine Lobster, various types of Shrimp, depending on the seasonal availability, and many varieties of fresh fish, mostly all caught by the Thompson family's own fleet of boats. For a different treat, try their smoked mullet appetizer. Mullet is the only fish that has a gizzard, prompting an early Florida politician to have the fish declared a fowl. For the landlubber, there is always Prime Rib, Chicken and Steak offerings. Prices are reasonable and service is quite good.

MOC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Any must eats NYC to FL? 2004/01/09 17:32:29 (permalink)
    Where in NJ is Gaetano's?
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Any must eats NYC to FL? 2004/01/09 17:54:51 (permalink)
    The Shrimp Shack on St. Helena Island in Beaufort, SC. MMMmmm.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1