• Total Posts : 129
2006/04/27 17:25:02 (permalink)

Any smokers out there?

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/2705026.html

22 Replies Related Threads

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/04/28 04:14:12 (permalink)
    Shoot, smokes have been $6.00 a pack in Maine since January 1st.
    If you get them in a discount store, they might run you $5.50-$5.75/pack.
    And ya cant smoke anywhere in a restaurant or bar, and you can stand outside in the snow and 10 below while cussing the price...And still keep on buying them...
    Who is the fool now?
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/04/28 07:53:41 (permalink)
    I come from a family of smokers--smoked myself for twenty years (I started at 13) before quitting seven years ago, but my dad and siblings all still smoke. Since Richmond is the home of Phillip Morris, they enjoy visiting me because you can smoke in most of the restaurants and bars. At my job, you can't smoke ANYWHERE on property--not even in your car at lunch. Ironically, the building's a stone's throw from PM's headquarters.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3538
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/04/28 11:54:52 (permalink)
    Yup, six bucks a pack is pretty common here in Michigan, too. It was some time in the summer of 2004 our tax per pack went to $2.00. Seven if you get them from a machine in the bar.

Just looked it up, because I was curious. Michigan has the third-highest cigarette tax in the nation, behind New York City and New Jersey.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/04/28 12:10:24 (permalink)
    Wow. My Dad paid 25 cents a CARTON for Lucky Strike Greens from the geedunk aboard ship during War 2.
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/04/28 22:35:50 (permalink)
    here in palm bch gardens florida i paid 3.39 a pack for marlboro yesterday and bought a carton for 26.99 today, the price has not changed in years because the indian reservations sell them so cheap with drive thru service that it keeps the prices down here
    Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/04/29 03:27:33 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    I buy from a business that gets cigs from Indians, and pay $17.99 a carton.
    Many co-workers have went to smokeless tobacco. I just can't. Seeing these guys
    spit into used soda bottles is a bit to much for me.
    Roosy, I won't go to a restaurant or bar that doesn't let me smoke. And at work,
    well, we have a code of smoke and don't tell.
    It's just so weird. When I was young, smoking was okay, and now it is a crime.
    I feel for all the pot-smokers out there.
    Actually, it's funny. I know pot-smokers who put me down for smoking cigs. I'm not
    in Kansas anymore.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    mountain_charlie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/04/29 06:47:29 (permalink)
    I haven't smoked for 20 years,never think about it. that is until I have a drink,or a cup of coffee,or I smell someone else smoking,or talk on the phone etc.
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/04/29 13:38:43 (permalink)
    I am hopelessly addicted to cigarettes. which in my case is nothing short of insane. I've already had three strokes, have high blood pressure, and COPD. I've tried to quit many times, but as yet I have been unsuccesful.

The concession I have made to the ever-soaring price is to switch to one of the cheap off-brands. Tuscon menthols cost less than 20 bucks per carton, I think they must be made from the loose tobacco that's swept up off the floor at RJ Reynolds or something. They taste okay, but they make me more short winded than the Capri menthols do.

If anybody has any advice on how to sucessfully quit, send it my way - I really, really need to quit before they kill me.
    mountain_charlie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/04/29 13:49:26 (permalink)
    The way I quit was I stopped all alcohol and coffee,first.After a few weeks I knew if I could quit booze and coffee,anything was possible.The cigs came next,it was easy I thought,cold turkey though.

Been off them a long time still miss them,especially when I now have a drink,in otherwords,every night.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/04/29 13:57:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by skylar0ne

I am hopelessly addicted to cigarettes. which in my case is nothing short of insane. I've already had three strokes, have high blood pressure, and COPD. I've tried to quit many times, but as yet I have been unsuccesful.

The concession I have made to the ever-soaring price is to switch to one of the cheap off-brands. Tuscon menthols cost less than 20 bucks per carton, I think they must be made from the loose tobacco that's swept up off the floor at RJ Reynolds or something. They taste okay, but they make me more short winded than the Capri menthols do.

If anybody has any advice on how to sucessfully quit, send it my way - I really, really need to quit before they kill me.

Have you spoken to your MD about methods of quitting this addiction? There are newer modalities that may make it easier to quit than it was years ago.

Or, if you want to take a route that could be cheaper, call 1-800-639-QUIT. If you call that number, you can speak to someone at the National Quitline operated by National Jewish Medical Center, the leading respiratory hospital in the U.S.
    There is no charge for their advice, and they will forward your call to the quitline that is operated by your home state. Various states have low-cost or free help available for smokers who want to quit. For instance, residents of Colorado can receive up to 8 weeks of nicotine patches free of charge. See what your state has available, as your life could literally depend on it.

Good luck with shaking the nicotine habit!
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/04/29 19:53:40 (permalink)
    Ive quit smoking............6 times! camel filters are 2 packs for $4.27
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/04/30 13:00:11 (permalink)
    Tedbear and Charlie, thanks to both of you for the advice. I'm convinced that cold turkey is the way to go - and I plan to call that Quitline come Monday morning. Thanks again!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/04/30 13:08:37 (permalink)
    quote:

Tedbear and Charlie, thanks to both of you for the advice. I'm convinced that cold turkey is the way to go - and I plan to call that Quitline come Monday morning. Thanks again!

I agree with the cold turkey. I "quit" 4 years ago, and after dealing with mom's passing in Dec 2004, and the remodel of her house right after that, I started back just about a year ago.
    I have a goal. They say make a plan and set a date to stop smoking.
    I have decided that I will be smoke free by the middle of May. My goal is to "quit" again close to the day I started smoking last year.
    All I can say is I wish I had my friends around me like I did when I stopped 4 years ago. I had such support then, and they rallied around me, even though most of them are smokers. It is going to be harder, being in a new place without a network of friends here, BUT, I am determined to do it again.

roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/04/30 13:11:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mountain_charlie

The way I quit was I stopped all alcohol and coffee,first.After a few weeks I knew if I could quit booze and coffee,anything was possible.The cigs came next,it was easy I thought,cold turkey though.

Been off them a long time still miss them,especially when I now have a drink,in otherwords,every night.

I always used to joke, "A drink in one hand and a smoke in the other"... Or, How about the car that doesn't start unless you light a cigarette first?.....
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/05/02 16:30:36 (permalink)
    i gave up smoking when they went to 50 cents a pack.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/05/03 08:18:34 (permalink)
    I smoked two packs a day for over 30 years, never did try to quit. One morning about 17 years ago I decided to stop, I threw away what I had and have never smoked since. I did not suffer in pain and agony, nothing at all.

John
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/05/03 09:43:31 (permalink)
    I used to smoke Basics. Dozen years ago they where a buck a pack. Today they're well over $4.50... I switched to buying a ZigZag cigarette machine (4.95), box of tubes with filters (1.29) and a bag of Gambler tobbaco (8.25). Make my own now... Taste as good as the prepackaged ones, if not better! Costs me about a buck a pack now.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/05/03 11:46:04 (permalink)
    quote:

Tedbear and Charlie, thanks to both of you for the advice. I'm convinced that cold turkey is the way to go - and I plan to call that Quitline come Monday morning.
    Well?
    Man in a Hat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/05/07 10:37:26 (permalink)
    quote:

I just quit 3 weeks ago. Smoked for 20+ years, diabetic, etc... In 3 weeks my blood pressure has dropped by 10%. Wellbuturin was prescribed by my Dr. and it made it MUCH easier to quit (EASIER not painless). Good Luck!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/05/07 11:02:34 (permalink)
    Which is easier or more painful? Getting off the wagon or quitting smoking?

I have done both over the years. Quitting smoking is easy as I have done it numerous times. My evening libations were and are more difficult.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/05/07 11:23:24 (permalink)
    Everyone's an individual, but I smoked 2-3 packs a day for maybe 35 years and quit. I heard a radio announcement for a stop smoking hypnosis seminar on my way to Illinois which had much lower prices at the time. It mentioned a money back guarantee so I figured what the heck. Friends that haven't seen me in awhile can't believe I quit as I loved them so much. I don't crave them but I know if I ever had one puff I'd be right back on them. I mentioned in another post, if there's a heaven and I'm in, I'm having a Salem and crusty pork chop fat!
    The hypnosis thing is a great way to relax. Its been years now and I still can picture the rabbit covered with all the cigarette tars that used to be on my lungs. Yech!
    Long winded point is, if I could quit, anyone can. Your method may turn out to be different than mine but there is a method that'll work. Good luck!
    Sandy Thruthegarden
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Any smokers out there? 2006/05/07 20:19:37 (permalink)
    quote:

I quit 10 years ago after smoking for 27 years. The best advice I got was:

Pick a date to quit but start thinking of yourself as a non-smoker and start acting like a non-smoker before you quit, e.g., sit in the no-smoking section. Tell everyone you are going to quit smoking.

Do not obsess about the upcoming date and what you fear you will suffer. You will work yourself up and exaggerate how tough it's going to be, possibly setting yourself up to give up. Tell yourself people quit all the time and you can too. Do not think of yourself as a special case.

Write down all the reasons you want/need to quit, e.g., "I huff and wheeze when I climb a flight of stairs"; "It makes your eyes look puffy"; "I want to live to see my grandchildren graduate from college", "My wife will be devestated if I die of lung cancer"; or "Dying with lung cancer is painful and a horrible way for my children to see me die." The more personal and graphic the items the better. Carry the list with you and make yourself read it if you're tempted to light up.

I used the Nicoderm patches and they helped a lot. I didn't try the Wellbutrin but others have told me it helps.

Promptly forget when you quit or you will be thinking "It's been 5 days (2 weeks, a month, etc.) since I've had a cigarette!" This makes you overvalue the habit and might set you up to smoke. (This was the MOST important thing for me.) I couldn't tell you the day I quit; I don't remember.

Put the money you spend on cigarettes in a savings account and think about what you want to do with the money. Make it something that strongly appeals to you.

Find something to do with your hands and mouth. Bottled water with a sports cap you can suck on is good and the water helps wash the nicotine out of your system faster. Pretzel logs are good too. I believe there's a method now where can inhale the nicotine through a tube.

Change your other habits. If you lit up your first smoke at the kitchen table when you drink your coffee, sit somewhere else and drink tea.

Thoroughly air out your home and clean the inside of your car to get rid of the smell.

I found that if I did all this stuff it really changed my focus and helped me quit. It kept me busy too which was just what I needed. Remember that the physical addiction subsides in a matter of days and the patch, gum, lozenge, or other method will get you through those days.

If you believe you can quit, you will. Good luck!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1