Anybody Remember these Chicago Places?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Tommy2dogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2005/04/05 18:28:22 (permalink)
I remember such a steak place on Wabash under the El, Tadd's Steakhouse
Tommy2dogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2005/04/05 18:39:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

What I miss most in Chicago(land) are:

Mary's Cupboard (for ribs and chicken) on Green Bay Road in Winnetka
Toddle House (for hash browns at midnight) in Hubbard Woods
The personality-plus State Street branch of Gold Coast Dogs
Spinning Salad Bowl at Don Roth's Blackhawk Restaurant in the Loop (there's still one in Wheeling, I believe)
That place in the old Stockyards where they used to brand your steak (I think ... this is going WAY back)
The Indian Trail in Winnetka -- a real old-fashioned tea room
The OLD Lou Mitchell's, when Lou greeted you

I have the recipe for that Spinning Salad Bowl, of course it's not quite the same. The place I remember in the stockyards where you chose the steak and they scraped the mold off from aging and branded it, was The Stockyard Inn.

oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2005/04/05 19:59:13 (permalink)
Great topic! Did not know the Come Back Inn closed, oh well. Great Burgers! How about the Beverly House at the corner of Vincennes and Beverly at 103rd? Used to go there for lunch. Gone now! Shem's on Vincennes, long gone, for the best Pizza and very cold Hamm's beer!

Late night was the Blue Note on Halstad around 103rd, gus behind the bar, a great Juke Box, booze and belly rubbin late at night.

Babes Farm House, 127th maybe around 123rd.

Is Helenas Rest (Polish) still open on Milwaukee Ave.?

Sak's at Chicago Ave and Damen was the GREATEST! Uke food, great borscht and pierogies + cold beer. We will check that out next month.

Gateley's People stores, Michigan Ave in Roseland, sandwiches!

We are going back in May and going to find out what places are left.

We miss the good ole Chicago food!

Don and Pat
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3308
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2005/04/06 01:36:37 (permalink)
Oldfrt,

How about those ribs at the Homestead on 113th & Vincennes or the plates of pan fried perch & frog legs in butter at Phil Schmidts?
gp60004
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2005/04/08 13:56:40 (permalink)
scrape the mold off of aged steaks? that doesn't sound too good
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2005/04/08 16:31:34 (permalink)
That is too bad about Come Back Inn, we went on lots of dates there.
Favorite restaurants downtown were the Forum Cafeteria (loved their chicken pot pie) and the Berghoff for corned beef and creamed spinach. Is the Italian Village still around?
schneido
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2005/12/31 00:17:51 (permalink)
There were several of the "assembly line" steak houses in Chicago. Besides Tadd's and Ronny's, there was Mr. Mike's. This was my personal favorite and was at Wabash and Van Buren (I think Ronny's may of gone in there). Mr. Mike's was there in the 60s. I used to eat there every week after I got paid at Marshall Field's.

Some of my other favorite Chicago restaurants that are gone were Esquire Steak House (other end of the scale from Tadd's, etc.). Esquire was on Monroe, between State and Dearborn and was across the street from the Shubert Theater (where I worked when in high school).

Corona Cafe was on Rush, near Grand. Italian food in a nice dining room, they also had a seperate counter area with a different enterance. A lot of the newspaer guys used to eat there.

The Forum on Madison was my favorite cafeteria. I remember they used to give you hard red plastic covers for your coffee cup so your coffee would not get cold while you carried your tray to a table.

Wimpy's. They were all over the loop. There was one alongside the aforementioned Shubert. Also on Wabash and Lake, Washington between State and Wabash (across from Fields), Clark and Madison, Chicago and Michigan.

Does anyone remember Edward's Grill on North State around Oak? Or the 6 Below at 6 South Clark? 6 Below was downstairs from a Pixley and Ehlers cafeteria and was across the street from the 1st National Bank of Chicago.
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2005/12/31 00:39:27 (permalink)
Gertie's on 59th & Kedzie for ice cream. Also for ice cream the original Buffalo on Pulaski. And Lockwood castle for super sodas and super sudaes. All gone.
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2005/12/31 11:08:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sonoma66

There used to be a small shop at the "L" stop at Wrigley Field that made killer roast beef snadwiches. It was a long long time ago, but I remember them being a subsandwich that had the roast beef piled maybe two inches high. My father-in-law lived a couple of blocks from there and we used to get them for dinner every now and then. I haven't been back there in many many years; don't know if the place is still there. But, if it was it would almost be worth the trip.

I also used to get a great Veal Parmigon (sp?) at the Maxim's in downtown Chicago. I understand there may be two Maxim's. The one I liked was in a sub basement area. I think it was one State street. The amazing thing is I have tried veal since and can't stand it but I loved it there.

I don't get to Chicago much, but live just north of the Illinois-Wisconsin line (which makes for some VERY interesting discussions during football season for some reason). Three memories I have from the Wrigley Field neighborhood:

Lucky's Sandwich Shop. They piled the slaw and the fries in our sandwiches. Interesting. Pretty good, too. Lucky's topped America Onlines list of "Best Cheap Food" when I took my niece to a Cub game, so we went. It wasn't hard to blow off the McDonalds on the other corner of Clark and Addison.

Salt-N-Peppers: Haven't eaten there, but it's definitely on the list.

Cubby Dog's: I love a good Chicago Style Dog with more produce than hot dog. Where are the CUCUMBERS? I'm not a fan of pickles or peppers, but love the fresh tomatos, onions and cukes and NO KETCHUP. I use the ketchup to dip my fries in.

I may be getting a bit ahead of myself, but The Berghoff 17 W. Adams St. (I mis-located it to Michigan Avenue on another board) is closing on Feb 28th. I ate there as a sailor in 1981, and that corned beef sandwich was great! I'm told they fried up a mean chicken, too, but haven't had that. I gotta get there in the next two months!
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2005/12/31 11:31:31 (permalink)
We ate at the Berghoff last night. There was a 45 minute wait just to get into the building and this was at 4:00pm. Same waiters, same good food, fast service, and reasonable prices for a downtown restaurant. We visited Marshall Field's after dinner.
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2005/12/31 12:27:13 (permalink)
We ate at Berghoff the night before last. Good food, and attentive, friendly service all at a reasonable price. They made us feel welcome as though we ate there every day. What a loss.
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2005/12/31 16:06:20 (permalink)
we use to street race by the incinerators and off elston and webster by sollys italian beef, sit on the hood and watch people blow up stuff
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2006/01/01 07:52:25 (permalink)
does anyone remember o henrys hamburgers at kiddieland on golf and skokie blvd outside of chicago?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4274
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2006/01/01 22:03:55 (permalink)
Yup, there was another one on Lincoln Ave. near the old Niles East High School. It looked kind of like a McDonald's (old school; walk up window, no indoor seating, no drive thru) as I recall. I remember the name as just "Henry's", no "O" in front of it.
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2006/01/01 23:12:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hawkeyejohn

Or the Pickle Barrel on Wells where a crock of great dill pickles and a bowl of popcorn was set on the table as you sat down. They had great open face reuben sandwiches.

I remember it from the 60s, back when that area was "Old Town". They had an awesome hamburger served on flavorful black bread and all for a decent price. I really miss it, as well as that seafood place that used to be on N. Clark (I think) a few blocks north of the Loop.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4274
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2006/01/07 16:46:56 (permalink)
The Pickle Barrel had a second location in the mall at the SW corner of Howard and Western. While we're talking deli's, how about the Belden Deli. Not so long gone, but deeply missed.

Another long gone spot: the Dr. Jazz Ice Cream Parlors. One on west Montrose, the other on Chicago Ave. in Evanston. These places were owned by Joe Bortz who later purchased the building that housed Sally's Ribs up on Western Ave. He turned it into Sally's Stage, a cathedral of convoluted bad taste bringing together roller skating singing waiters, a huge theatrical pipe organ and some of the most mediocre pan pizza ever tasted, all in one cavernous room.

His Dr. Jazz ventures were only slightly more well advised. The gimmick was a roomful of restored, working nickleodeons that created an ear splitting cacophony as you sat and ate some pretty good ice cream. The ice cream, as I remember, was made on the premises. Their signature flavor was peanut butter, which was used in many different incarnations, most notably, their peanut butter milk shakes. Hey, we were teenagers, it was the '70s, we were from the suburbs, always looking for something to break up the monotony. Dr. Jazz did the trick.

I haven't read all these posts, but, did anyone mention Buffalo's Ice Cream Parlor on Irving Park? They opened a second location up on Dempster in Morton Grove. It didn't last but a few years. The original was around for decades, though. A true Roadfood institution that was tragically lost to urban redevelopment and greed.
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2006/01/12 22:22:58 (permalink)
Henrys was the fatal alternative to McD's back in those days. Never lasted. As for Loud Organ Music, how about the HUB Roller Rink on Harlem Avenue and roller skating to the Organ Music! Had a lot of great Friday nights there.

Don
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2006/01/13 14:15:33 (permalink)
I worked at Henry's on Lincoln Avenue in Lincolnwood in 1962. It was owned my Morton Phillips. It was a wonderful time and a great place to work. Besides hamburgers and cheeseburgers, Henry's offered fried chicken and shrimp, real home made pies, and ice cream treats made in a Taylor machine with a dairy mix similar to Tastee Freeze & Dairy Queen. I left Henry's in September of 1965 when I went off to college in Carbondale(SIU). In 1966, Phillips detached himself from the Henry's chain and renamed the restaurant after his wife(Alpha's). The only other fast food restaurant in Lincolnwood was "Richard's" Drive-In, just north of Henry's on Lincoln Avenue. By the late 60's, both were out of business.

The original Buffalo's on Irving Park & Pulaski was always a family favorite. There were other wonderful ice cream places in our area:

Lockwood Castle-Home of the "Giant Killer" on Devon & Caldwell
The Pie Pan on Cicero & Peterson
Thompson's on Touhy Avenue in Park Ridge & Devon in Lincolnwood
Jalin's on Crawford & Lincoln in Lincolnwood
Howard Johnson's across the street from Jalin's
Tastee Freeze on Devon in Lincolnwood

CSD
Dekn06
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2006/04/09 22:25:41 (permalink)
In the early 1990's, I was in Chicago on a business trip the day the subway was flooded by the break in the waterways. I was in a new high-rise at the edge of the lake in the flat of a Mr Cohassett picking up the results of a market research project he had done for my company. His flat was positioned so that we could look down at the business district along the lake front and see the commotion the water was causing.

At the end of our session, Mr. Cohassett gave me a bottle of "Cohassett Punch". On the label was a picture of the lighthouse that stands in the town along the Maine?? coastline where his family settled in America. And the family at that time was still producing in a very limited quantity, using a family receipe, the peach liqueur labeled "Cohassett Punch". Being a member of the family he had a good supply of it which he gave to some of his clients.

I found it to be a very refreshing drink on the rocks with a distinctive light taste. Everyone I served it to found it enjoyable as well. However, when I tried to obtain another bottle, I struck out. I believe the only distributor was in Chicago, and at the time I contacted them, they no longer carried it and advised me that it was out of production.

I have since retired and no longer have any contact with Mr. Cohassett as well, But I do have a very pleasant memory of this drink and my time that day in Chicago.
Howt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2006/05/12 09:28:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

What I miss most in Chicago(land) are:

Mary's Cupboard (for ribs and chicken) on Green Bay Road in Winnetka
Toddle House (for hash browns at midnight) in Hubbard Woods
The personality-plus State Street branch of Gold Coast Dogs
Spinning Salad Bowl at Don Roth's Blackhawk Restaurant in the Loop (there's still one in Wheeling, I believe)
That place in the old Stockyards where they used to brand your steak (I think ... this is going WAY back)
The Indian Trail in Winnetka -- a real old-fashioned tea room
The OLD Lou Mitchell's, when Lou greeted you

Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2006/05/16 11:24:13 (permalink)
Here are some that are gone but not forgotten,

Armando's on Rush Steet. My favorite Italian restaurant of all time.

Glenwood Inn in the south suburbs for delicious frog legs and stuffed mushrooms.

The original Gayietys for ice cream and chocolates, although they did open a shop in Lansing, IL later on.
syrup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 164
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2006/05/16 11:58:07 (permalink)
The Surf This was on Michigan and 11th right next to my Grandma's apartment building.

[ b]Jimmy Wongs
Carsons I think there were a few of them. Amazing
ribs.

I remember going to the Pickle Barrel With my family sometime in the 70's. They showed Rocky And Bullwinkle on a large screen.
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 643
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2006/05/16 18:52:23 (permalink)
Several favorable references to the Pickle Barrel on this thread. I attended the U. of Ill. in the early sixties and they had a branch of the Pickle Barrel in Champaign on W. Green St. near the campus. Same wonderful food at prices the students could afford.
QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
bcs2020
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/03 12:39:32 (permalink)
As I remember, Sherlock's Home was on Delaware, just west of Michigan Avenue. I loved that place. It was the only place where I could get steak tartare with confidence in the quality of the meat!! And they served it the way I liked it--with raw egg yolk and raw onion ring on top, topped off with capers. Mmmmm!!

Now, can someone tell me where Math Igler's was located? I loved that place, too, but can't remember location. Was it off Western Ave.?
kensandyeggo
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 567
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/03 23:39:45 (permalink)
Used to go to Carson's for Ribs in Skokie. Salad was a whole 1/2 head of lettuce with dressings in those corny metal cups on a wire carousel. They had several joints. I believe they made all their ribs in huge pizza ovens. They gone?

Was an ice cream joint we all went to on the south side...Melody Lane. They had these huge ice cream concoctions that some would take a 1/2 dozen of us kids to finish.

London House on Wacker Drive was a place for special dates. Great entertainment too....George Shearing, Ahmad Jamal (sp) and a lot of other greats. My buddy got us thrown out one night for putting a french-fry on a guy's head that was babbling too loud.

We used to go into the black neighborhood to the Sutherland Hotel Lounge. They never carded us white kids. No cover or minimum. The stage was in the center of the huge circular bar. I saw Ramsey Lewis, Dave Brubeck and Lambert, Hendrick and Ross there among others. Anyone remember L, H and R? Annie was gorgeous and grew up into this frumpy woman that played some supporting roles in movies.

My aunt married this Italian guy and they lived a couple blocks away from the Home Run Inn when it was on 31st street. Unimaginely great pizza. I remember they'd cut it with a huge set of scissors. I know they're still in business, because I've bought their frozen pizza in San Diego and now in Charlotte. If you can find it, I think it's the greatest tasting frozen pizza available.

Used to go to a bunch of places in Old Town on Friday and Saturday. Anyone remember "Bughouse Square? I'm pretty sure it was on Clark Street. It was a very small park. Anyone could get up on a milk carton or whatever they had there and talk (rant) about whatever they wanted. You can pretty much guess the topics from the name of the place.

I think Lindy's on Archer near Western still exists. Great late night (or anytime) spot for a great greasy hamburger and fries. I think they tried to get high-falootin' and joined some ice cream outfit and started franchising. Don't know if that was a flop or not. They also had great chili.

Used to get a "Beanie-Weenie" at Boston Baked beans (I think) on State Street near Randolph after my shift as an usher at the Oriental Theater. Is the Oriental still there? I haven't been back to Chicago in about 25 or more years. I'm dying to take my wife there. She's never been and gets tired of me still talking about it all the time....same as when I blab on about the Army.
bcs2020
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/04 08:50:42 (permalink)
Carson's for Ribs in Skokie is long gone from that location, but they're thriving on Waukegan Road, just north of Lake-Cook. There's also still one in Chicago near Clark & Peterson.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/04 09:10:51 (permalink)
The Carson's on Peterson Avenue is closed. I've been a fan of the Home Run Inn on 31st since my birth. I saw Rennie Davis, one of the Chicago Seven, fire up a crowd at Bughouse Square. He was wearing a Chicago Police Department shirt.
bcs2020
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/04 09:49:44 (permalink)
Thanks for the update on the Carson's on Peterson.
zussers
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/04 10:36:30 (permalink)
I was in Chicago this week. I'm pretty sure I saw the sign for The Oriental. We stopped in At Marshall Fields (refuse to call it Macys) which is in the theatre district.
bcs2020
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/04 10:40:22 (permalink)
The "Oriental" was completely refurbished some years and is now a stage (mostly musicals) venue. I think it's now the Ford Oriental Theater.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1