Anybody Remember these Chicago Places?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Author
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/04 10:42:52 (permalink)
Cafe Bohemia...long gone..but great food. They had a superb assortment of wild game.
Terry
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/06 18:38:52 (permalink)
Thank you to everybody for the wonderful memories. I left Chicago in 1971 to go to college an have not been back much since.

Does anyone remember Wimpy's? I seem to remember that they were all over the loop. They also had an outlet at our local mall - Evergreen Plaza.

I seem to remember containers of red and green relish on the counter. I remember putting the red relish on my burgers.
lynndunham
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 195
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/06 19:53:04 (permalink)
Does anyone remember "The College of Complexes"? I went several times around 1960; they were on North Clark. Also loved a place named the Ivanhoe. Big night club with several bars around the walls. You rode in an elevator down stairs (It didn't really go down, just shook) then you walked down stairs past windows in walls where there would be scenes like a man wearing a green visor and counting money and some spooky things. At the bottom there was a big lounge with a piano bar. I understand it burned down years ago. You could have a nice dinner there and dance to a big orchestra. Also loved the Top of the Rock. Mom and I used to go there for lunch when we took the train in from Barrington for the day.
lynndunham
Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/06 19:58:02 (permalink)
How about the Walnut Room at Marshal Fields after visiting Santa Claus and looking at all the fabulous windows!!
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/06 20:16:35 (permalink)
Speaking of night clubs - I remember going to see Muddy Waters at Mr. Kelly's (on Rush Street?) after senior prom. Great place and great show.
lynndunham
Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/07 13:27:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Akavar

Speaking of night clubs - I remember going to see Muddy Waters at Mr. Kelly's (on Rush Street?) after senior prom. Great place and great show.

I saw Dick Gregory and Woody Allen there when I was in college. Lots of great memories!
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/07 13:56:47 (permalink)
I also remember going into the old Berghoff's Men's bar for lunch. That would have been in the days when some places had separate entrances for women, or like Berghoff's, did not allow them at all. Women could eat at the restaurant next door, but were not allowed in the bar.

I remember the bar as being dark and furnished in massive pieces of dark wood. You went to the sandwich counter and ordered a sandwich. If you wanted a shot and a beer you went to the bar. Next you took your food and beverage and went to one of the tall tables and consumed your lunch standing up. I do not remember there being any chairs in the place.

Does anyone remember anything at all like this?
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/07 22:55:36 (permalink)
anyone remember als fisheries by kraft plant or lawrence fishery for bags of fried shrimp, and didnt marshal field sell their own thousand island dressing?
kensandyeggo
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 567
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/08/09 19:51:28 (permalink)
I just thought of something. There were a bunch of these fish joints all around the city, always next to a river...usually "Bubbly Creek" or "The Sanitary and Ship Canal." They were beat up white shacks with a gravel parking lot and did sell fresh fish, but almost everyone went there for the fried shrimp, or if you were broke, fish-chips, because they were a little cheaper. I'd usually buy a pound in a Chinese-style white carryout box with the wire handle. You could get a 1/2 pound too, but that was hardly worth the trip. The shrimp had a dark breading and they asked if you wanted hot or mild sauce. They'd sprinkle it on from a bottle with holes punched in the metal cap. They gave you a wooden stick with 2 tines on one end to eat it.

I can remember us guys making a shrimp run and then hanging out on the corner wolfing it down, even in the dead of winter. I know there was one on Ashland, maybe near Archer.
Champ25
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/10/23 14:51:00 (permalink)
I recently found a post card and match book from Johnny's Steaks on 501 So. Wabash, Chicago. It seems that my father ate there in 1961 while attending the International Lions Convention. Could this be the steak house you are looking for?
sunnyside up
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/10/23 15:44:16 (permalink)
I was in Chicago back in 1975 or 76 for a Winter Consumer Electronics Exposition. Nolan Bushnell of Atari fame had taken over a nightclub on Rush St. called "Faces" for the evening, that was one memorable evening! Prior to going to "Faces" we stopped for dinner at Adolph's also on Rush for one of the finest rack of ribs I have ever eaten. Too bad there isn't a 'time machine' availabe for encore visitations.
kensandyeggo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/10/23 18:31:22 (permalink)
Remember a small lounge in the Rush St. area called "The Tender Trap?" The whole joint was an homage to Sinatra. The only songs on the juke-box were Sinatra tunes. Is the London House still around? Wacker and Michigan maybe? It was a decent steak house and the entertainment was top-notch...Thelonius Monk, George Shearing, Ramsey Lewis, Ahmad Jamal and the like.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2007/10/24 07:56:03 (permalink)
Hhhmmm.... Most of my time in Chicago was before I was 20. I did not get a chance to spend much time on Rush Street.

Does anybody remember a place on Jackson under the EL called "The Dill Pickle"? My father usewd to take my brothers and I there on Saturdays for lunch. I remember their corned beef and pastrami sandwiches. We used to wash them down with Royal Crown Cola and chocolate phosphates.

If you want to see this place watch the original "Blues Brothers" movie. The Bros are upstairs over the restaurant and Carrie Fisher blows them and the restaurant up with shoulder launched grenade.
Majak
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/07 00:25:19 (permalink)
Cohasset Punch is the name of the bar that specialized in the drink. Madison and Wells, in the Loop, under the "L" tracks. Tom Ohman, the owner used to put a peach at the bottom of the glass for taste and preservation. The liquor is no longer bottled but will always live in memory and hopefully one day will hit the shelves again.
kensandyeggo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/07 00:34:42 (permalink)
How about Christmas season at "The Fair" department store downtown? They had a train suspended from the ceiling on a single rail that rode all through their "Toyland." Anyone remember the gypsies that sat in the windows of old homes and storefronts on Maxwell street and beckoned passers-by to come in and get their fortune told? Our parents used them to scare the crap out of us, threatening that they'd give us to the gypsies if we didn't behave.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4177
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/07 14:55:23 (permalink)
Nuthin' personal kensandyeggo, but you must be a real geezer. I am swiftly approaching my fiftieth year and have no knowledge of The Fair. I did however put in a call to Mom and Dad Roadhouse, who are in their mid seventies, and they had an immediate recollection of The Fair, located at State and Adams. They also remembered The Boston Store which used to be across from Marshall Field's. The Fair closed in the early '50s. The Boston Store closed slightly before that.

As for those gypsies hanging around Maxwell Street, Mom and Dad intimated that they were not beckoning to tell you your fortune. They were interested in more "close quarters" activities, if you get my drift. In fact, if I were a teenage boy back then and not so concerned about contracting a social disease (now I'm showing my age), I might misbehave just to take the parents up on their offer of giving me to the gypsies.

Buddy
kensandyeggo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/07 16:20:02 (permalink)
Well Buddy, I have you by about 17 years. I'm not sure about the Gypsy's real intent, as I was too young at the time. After my parent's threats, I would walk past their windows as fast as I could and keep my gaze forward.

Anyone remember the burlesque theater at the south end of the Loop on State Street? My buddy and I would sneak by in high school. They never checked I.D.s. After one entertaining afternoon, we were walking out (we always shot for the first row) and there he was near the back, my buddy's dad. Not a word about it was ever spoken. One time we were coming out in the early evening and just as we hit the sidewalk, about 3 full buses stopped at the curb, packed with people coming home from work and staring at us 2 perverts as we exited the burlesque. Yikes." />

How about the small theater just south, across the alley from the Chicago Theater? The only thing it showed were newsreels. I better shut up. I'm really starting to show my age.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2886
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/07 16:28:09 (permalink)
Grand Wells Tap - located of couse at Grand and Wells. Great steaks, old world bar, loved the place.
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/11 13:41:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jlobough

I could be wrong, but I think the "assembly-line steak place" was Ponderosa. I don't think there are any in the Chicagoland area anymore, but I know there's still one in Manitowoc, WI (close to the Roadfood reviewed Penguin Drive Inn).

As for the other places you mentioned, I have no recollection of them. Hope that helps.

There was Ponderosa and the Sizzler - two steak places that had assembly lines. I think Ponderosa was the one near Clark and Diversey in the early 80's. We used to enjoy that when we were kids, before we knew what a real steak should taste like!
danimal15
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/11 13:52:33 (permalink)
Does anyone remember the Claim Company on Clark? I used to love those burgers in the late 70's, early 80's. It closed around 1985. The closest approximation now is Moody's Pub (though for a great burger in the Chicago area I highly recommend Norton's in Highland Park). I think the plates at the Claim Company had some sort of special shape. You had to walk upstairs to the second floor when you went into the building.

How about the "Round Up" - an ice cream shop with an Old West theme on Broadway near Hawthorne in the 70s. A lot of kids used to have their birthday parties there. It featured a player piano.

And there was a hot dog place called "Shmendels" on Clark near Fullerton. I last ate there around 1978. It's long gone. Anyone remember it?
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2886
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/11 15:59:22 (permalink)
There was also a Claim Company (perhaps related) where the present Oak Brook Mall Wildfire is located.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/12 08:38:54 (permalink)
Yes - I remeber the Claim Company. It was a great hamburger.

How about a hot dog place called Ziggy's? They called themselves "The Pump Room of Clark Street." That was also near Clark & Fullerton.
danimal15
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/12 16:17:54 (permalink)
quote:

Yes - I remeber the Claim Company. It was a great hamburger.

How about a hot dog place called Ziggy's? They called themselves "The Pump Room of Clark Street." That was also near Clark & Fullerton.

Of course I remember Ziggy's - the Pump Room of Clark Street! It was 2 blocks from Parker, where I went to school for 14 years. We used to go to lunch at Ziggy's all the time.

Our other lunch options were Gold Coast Dogs - on Dickens and Clark - and Leon's BBQ, next to Ziggy's. Next to Leon's was Mrs. Fields. So a typical lunch was fried chicken wings and fries from Leon's and a Mrs. Fields cookie or brownie for dessert. Obviously I wasn't worried too much about my weight at the time.

Too bad Leon's closed its North Side location. Now I have to go all the way to South Shore to get those wings.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/13 07:17:48 (permalink)
Danimal -

I went to Morgan Park Academy for my senior year in high school. I think we played you in football.
danimal15
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/17 15:10:59 (permalink)
quote:

Danimal -

I went to Morgan Park Academy for my senior year in high school. I think we played you in football.

Maybe you played us in football at one point in history, but by the time I hit Parker (1975 to 1989) the school no longer had a football team.

However, I was on the Parker baseball team and have fond memories of playing Morgan Park Academy. It was a nice campus.
Jim2903
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 236
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/17 15:28:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kensandyeggo

Is the London House still around? Wacker and Michigan maybe? It was a decent steak house and the entertainment was top-notch...Thelonius Monk, George Shearing, Ramsey Lewis, Ahmad Jamal and the like.

The London House is long gone (and, alas, much before my time) but much in the thoughts of jazz fans lately with the recent passing of the world's greatest jazz pianist, Oscar Peterson, who considered this club his home away from home ...
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/17 15:57:07 (permalink)
danimal -

I graduated MPA in '71. I guess Parker dropped their team shortly after that. I remember playing Parker on a very rainy Friday afternoon on a public field in Lincoln Park. Having spent three years playing in the Chicago Catholic League, my senior year at MPA acquainted me with some smaller venues. I went from playing in Old Soldier Field to a public field in Lincoln Park in 10 months.
bigd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/21 22:20:15 (permalink)
Tad's steakhouse had 2 locations in the loop. i think they closed in the 70's. I just walked by one in NYC the other day and the set-up was the same as the Chicago stores.The meat on the grill in the window looked really scary.

Fanny's in Evanston was great.
kensandyeggo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/01/21 23:49:02 (permalink)
Lived and worked in Evanston years ago. Fanny's thought they were on Michigan Avenue. Men had to wear a suit jacket at one time. If you came with your kids, even well-behaved, they stuck you upstairs in this dumpy room with warehouse floors next to the kitchen. Too presumptious for a lousy spaghetti and ravioli joint.
OP_Taylor
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/02/11 13:09:20 (permalink)
Henry's Hamburgers at Skokie Boulevard & Golf Road (mentioned earlier) was directly in front of "Fun Fair" kiddieland. I spent a fair share of my lawn-mowing money on burgers, fries and the Wild Mouse ride at that corner (though probably in reverse order). Double Tree Hotel sits there now.

The Fair (mentioned above) also had a location at the south end of Old Orchard in Skokie. Montgomery Ward took it over in the early or mid-60's. I don't know what's there now.

Friends and mental health professionals tell me this is a warped figment of a 10 year old's premature and overly-imaginative libido, but does anyone remember a drive-in on the north side in the late 50's/early 60's which grabbed drivers' attention with a large statuesque figure (10 to 12 feet perhaps) of a Las Vegas style dancer? Fishnet stockings clung to her long, showgirl gams as she stood on a rotating 15-foot platform carrying a tray of delectables, undoubtedly drawing attention to the establishment's fine fare. Details on location and name are fuzzy, as I'm sure my Catholic mother tried to avert my eyes whenever Dad "forgot" to detour before passing. My best guess is that it was on Western or Ashland, within a few blocks of Foster or Lawrence. The name that comes to mind, as odd as it sounds, may have been something like "Beefy 19" (nineteen cent burgers?). Gotta go . . . here come those guys in white again.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1