The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Anybody Remember these Chicago Places?

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 4 of 7, messages 91 to 120 of 196
Author Message
BuddyRoadhouse

  • Total Posts: 4074
  • Joined: 12/10/2004
  • Location: Des Plaines, IL
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/11/08 2:21 PM (permalink)
I absolutely remember Beefy's (although, not the "19")! It was on Western Avenue, east side of the street, north of Foster, just before you got to Rosehill Cemetery. I distinctly remember the racy female figure and the prepubescent eroticism it awakened in me. The "statue" itself was crudely rendered out of some low quality material that didn't hold up to the Chicago weather very well. I also remember, based on the proportions of the figure (she always brought a Parisian can-can dancer to mind), that the sobriquet "Beefy" must have been in reference to her fish net clad thighs. I think the building is still there housing some other family owned fast food business.

In regard to Henry's, there was another location down on Lincoln Avenue near Howard Street, very close to the campus of what was then Niles East High School; now one of two Oakton Community College locations. I don't remember going there very often. Back then, much to my shame, we were a McDonald's family.

Now let me ask you, do you remember an "A frame" Hot Dog/Hamburger joint on Dempster Street, in Morton Grove, north side of the street, where the Harrer Park Community Swimming Pool is now located? I believe the A frame, which went all the way down to the ground was bright blue. Can't remember the name of it or any other details about the place, but I swear it was there!

Buddy
 
#91
    Akavar

    • Total Posts: 361
    • Joined: 12/22/2000
    • Location: Flemington, NJ
    RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/11/08 8:20 PM (permalink)
    Was that the "Der Weinerschnitzel"?
     
    #92
      BuddyRoadhouse

      • Total Posts: 4074
      • Joined: 12/10/2004
      • Location: Des Plaines, IL
      RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/11/08 8:40 PM (permalink)
      I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. I'm hoping someone here will have a definitive answer.

      Buddy
       
      #93
        Steven67

        • Total Posts: 17
        • Joined: 2/18/2008
        • Location: wilmette, IL
        RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/18/08 5:21 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

        I absolutely remember Beefy's (although, not the "19")! It was on Western Avenue, east side of the street, north of Foster, just before you got to Rosehill Cemetery. I distinctly remember the racy female figure and the prepubescent eroticism it awakened in me. The "statue" itself was crudely rendered out of some low quality material that didn't hold up to the Chicago weather very well. I also remember, based on the proportions of the figure (she always brought a Parisian can-can dancer to mind), that the sobriquet "Beefy" must have been in reference to her fish net clad thighs. I think the building is still there housing some other family owned fast food business.

        In regard to Henry's, there was another location down on Lincoln Avenue near Howard Street, very close to the campus of what was then Niles East High School; now one of two Oakton Community College locations. I don't remember going there very often. Back then, much to my shame, we were a McDonald's family.

        Now let me ask you, do you remember an "A frame" Hot Dog/Hamburger joint on Dempster Street, in Morton Grove, north side of the street, where the Harrer Park Community Swimming Pool is now located? I believe the A frame, which went all the way down to the ground was bright blue. Can't remember the name of it or any other details about the place, but I swear it was there!

        Buddy
         
        #94
          Steven67

          • Total Posts: 17
          • Joined: 2/18/2008
          • Location: wilmette, IL
          RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/18/08 5:37 PM (permalink)
          The name of the place in Morton Grove was The Golden Point. It had a large gold spire/point rising out from behind the blue A frame roof. If I remember, it just had walk-up windows, no seating. I seem to remember another one, as it was a failed franchise attempt on Harlem Ave near Montrose in Norridge.
           
          #95
            BuddyRoadhouse

            • Total Posts: 4074
            • Joined: 12/10/2004
            • Location: Des Plaines, IL
            RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/18/08 8:08 PM (permalink)
            Steven,

            Your description sounds about right. There was no seating, although I may have a false memory of being able to walk inside the A frame building to place an order. I will ask around about The Golden Point and see if anyone remembers it under that name.

            Thanks for taking the time to post.

            Buddy
             
            #96
              phatphil

              • Total Posts: 668
              • Joined: 9/25/2005
              • Location: loxahatchee, FL
              RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/18/08 8:57 PM (permalink)
              buddy, im a 1963 baby and dont remeber it, but my family said there was an a frame hot dog place 2 miles east of korvettes dept store on dempster just east of lehigh railroad tracks, skokie was more our turf
               
              #97
                phatphil

                • Total Posts: 668
                • Joined: 9/25/2005
                • Location: loxahatchee, FL
                RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/18/08 9:43 PM (permalink)
                sorry i forgot but they said it was called the point
                 
                #98
                  BuddyRoadhouse

                  • Total Posts: 4074
                  • Joined: 12/10/2004
                  • Location: Des Plaines, IL
                  RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/18/08 11:14 PM (permalink)
                  phatphil,

                  That location is exactly where this place would have been. Also, the name, "The Point", echoes Steven67's answer. I'm satisfied on the name and location. Next step, pictures!

                  Buddy
                   
                  #99
                    Steven67

                    • Total Posts: 17
                    • Joined: 2/18/2008
                    • Location: wilmette, IL
                    RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Wed, 02/20/08 6:05 PM (permalink)
                    OK, here's pictures, and I was wrong about the color, because seeing these pictures jarred my memory. The roof was red, it did have a golden point coming out of it and it was the long defunct franchise known as The golden Point

                    http://www.agilitynut.com/eateries/aframe2.html

                    this was a hamburger fast food place. The Hot Dog place nearby I believe was the Dawg House. I think there is a Korean restaurant at that loaction now.
                     
                      BuddyRoadhouse

                      • Total Posts: 4074
                      • Joined: 12/10/2004
                      • Location: Des Plaines, IL
                      RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Wed, 02/20/08 8:09 PM (permalink)
                      Wow, Steven! My hat is off to you for those pix. The website lists all of the locations as being on the east coast. Do we know for sure that Golden Point had any stores in the Chicago area?

                      I remember the A frame as being a free standing unit, not part of a larger building as pictured. Of course some of those shots depict different variations on the A frame. And it was more than 40 years ago that remember all this from.

                      Anyway, very cool on the photos. Thanks very much!

                      Buddy

                      P.S. Oh yeah, you're spot on about the Dawg House turning into a Korean restaurant. I think it is called Willow House.

                      B.
                       
                        Steven67

                        • Total Posts: 17
                        • Joined: 2/18/2008
                        • Location: wilmette, IL
                        RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Thu, 02/21/08 3:42 PM (permalink)
                        Buddy

                        It was definately The Golden Point, part of the defunct chain. I remember going there probably 1960-61, maybe earlier. I still can't remember sitting there, but possibly eating in the car or even taking it home. I grew up in Morton Grove, my mother still lives there, going to be 53 years. My memory is quite good, despite living through the 60s and 70s!

                        I did mention that I remember another Golden Point location, on Harlemn Avenue, about 4400 North. This didn't last long either. The building had expanded in the front and was know in the 70s/80s as Italian Cousin, but the roof line was still there.

                        Here's really going back to the 50s in Morton Grove. Before it was The Dawg House, that building was a Jewish deli known as The Grove. No dining in, just a deli counter.

                        I just recently found this forum, and remember quite a bit about Chicago's north side and especially the north suburbs. Hope there is some other stuff I can contribute to. I have eaten probably way too much Chicago style food in my day, but I'm still here.

                        Does anyone remember my all time favoite BBQ rib joint, Eddie's in Logan Square. I used to go with a bunch of buddies to the track at Maywood or Sportsmans's Park and then we would go for a slab of the best hickory smoked ribs you could imagine.
                         
                          BuddyRoadhouse

                          • Total Posts: 4074
                          • Joined: 12/10/2004
                          • Location: Des Plaines, IL
                          RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Thu, 02/21/08 5:12 PM (permalink)
                          Well now I have to figure out if we know each other Steven.

                          I too grew up in Morton Grove; my parents are still there, near Austin Park, going on 49 years. Grade school was Edison, Junior High was Lincoln, and High School was Niles West; graduating in '75. I worked at Pequod's from '73 until Burt sold the place in '86. I now work for him (only one night a week these days) at his new place two blocks west of the old Pequod's building.

                          So what's your story?

                          Buddy
                           
                            OKCRay

                            • Total Posts: 3
                            • Joined: 2/17/2008
                            • Location: Dallas, TX
                            RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Sun, 02/24/08 5:06 AM (permalink)
                            A couple I remember from the old neighborhood (Bridgeport/Armour Square/Comiskey Park area):

                            David's/Governor's Table - 31st and Halsted. David's was like a coffee shop/sit-down counter restaurant with pretty good food. They also had lots of stuffed animals and their own candies on display in their windows. IIRC they also had a private dining area called the Walnut Lounge. Governor's Table was just south. I'm pretty sure both of them burned down in a fire around 1981 or thereabouts. Since then a small strip mall with a Baskin-Robbins/Dunkin Donuts was built on its spot, but this was recently demolished to make way for the new police station.

                            Drexel Ice Cream - 30th Place and Shields. Great ice cream (their cones were HUGE!!!) and fountain treats, also had sandwiches (hot dogs, beef sandwiches, etc.). People who ran the shop for a long time were family acquaintances from the old neighborhood (changing hands periodically). Had to be the early 1980s when the shop closed and the ice cream production facility relocated. Most of the buildings have been torn down except for one at the corner of 30th and Shields, not sure who's using that property now.
                             
                              jfitz

                              • Total Posts: 115
                              • Joined: 10/7/2007
                              • Location: Bettendorf, IA
                              RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Sun, 02/24/08 6:23 AM (permalink)
                              In December a friend and myself went to lunch at Gibson's.[Tom Dreisen was at door ;had nice conversation] During lunch I said to waitress,"I remember coming to Wells St. to a restaurant/night club called Mr. Kelly's in the early '60's. She said,"Well you're sitting in it"! Mr. Kelly's was the spot back then. Entertainment that night was two guys with guitars singing their only hit a folk song something about "strawberries".I think I wore a suit. Later went to Playboy Club.Very crowded and intimdating for college guys.
                               
                                lostnthemail

                                • Total Posts: 427
                                • Joined: 7/23/2006
                                • Location: Louisville, MS
                                RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Sun, 02/24/08 7:51 AM (permalink)
                                Help with a name, please. Early 90's we ate at sandwich shop just south of Wrigley field. It was on the west side of the street, located on a triangular shaped lot. This was before my roadfood days, but I remember it being very good.
                                 
                                  phatphil

                                  • Total Posts: 668
                                  • Joined: 9/25/2005
                                  • Location: loxahatchee, FL
                                  RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Sun, 02/24/08 8:50 AM (permalink)
                                  everyone thinks im crazy, im from skokie and does anyone remeber a vienna place called hanks, it was next door to mcdonalds on dempster and niles center rd, mcdonalds bought it to expand into a drive thru with more parking in the early 80's

                                  and the big herms that was just east of herms palace in sam and hye"s parking lot
                                   
                                    phatphil

                                    • Total Posts: 668
                                    • Joined: 9/25/2005
                                    • Location: loxahatchee, FL
                                    RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Sun, 02/24/08 8:52 AM (permalink)
                                    sorry, west of the herms palace
                                     
                                      Luvstoeat

                                      • Total Posts: 88
                                      • Joined: 7/21/2004
                                      • Location: Morton Grove, IL
                                      RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Sun, 02/24/08 9:25 AM (permalink)
                                      Don't forget that over by Harrer Park there also was the sales lot for Lindahl Cedar Homes which had an A-Frame log cabin sitting, facing Dempster street....
                                       
                                        BuddyRoadhouse

                                        • Total Posts: 4074
                                        • Joined: 12/10/2004
                                        • Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                        RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Sun, 02/24/08 10:26 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by lostnthemail

                                        Help with a name, please. Early 90's we ate at sandwich shop just south of Wrigley field. It was on the west side of the street, located on a triangular shaped lot. This was before my roadfood days, but I remember it being very good.
                                        I was about to insist that it was on the east side of the street and then I realized, it was on a triangle lot, and as such, it would depend on which street you were coming down to determine whether it was on the east side or the west. If you were coming down Wilton it was on the west side of the street, if you were coming down Clark, it was on the east side.

                                        Anyway, the place was called the White Palace. They were a pretty typical Chicago Hot Dog joint, serving dogs and burgers, Italian Beef sandwiches, and the like. I am very familiar with the White Palace because we went there for a fast food feast the night my younger daughter (abe froeman's sister) was born.

                                        We were in one of the birthing rooms at Illinois Masonic Hospital, not far from the White Palace. My second little girl popped out well after midnight. We were all exhausted and hungry so I hopped in the car along with my mother-in-law and ran up to the Palace. We bought enough food to feed the doctor, the nurses, Mrs. Roadhouse and her mama, a very young abe froeman and myself, along with any other families giving birth in the adjacent rooms. We all had a great time culminating in everyone singing happy birthday to the newborn and then enjoying a big ol' hunk of birthday cake.

                                        Sadly, the White Palace is no longer there. Wrigleyville property has become far to valuable for a broken down old fast food place to take up that kind of space. I'm not sure what has replaced it, but I'm sure it lacks the run down charm that made the Palace special.

                                        Buddy
                                         
                                          BuddyRoadhouse

                                          • Total Posts: 4074
                                          • Joined: 12/10/2004
                                          • Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                          RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Sun, 02/24/08 10:29 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by phatphil

                                          everyone thinks im crazy, im from skokie and does anyone remeber a vienna place called hanks, it was next door to mcdonalds on dempster and niles center rd, mcdonalds bought it to expand into a drive thru with more parking in the early 80's

                                          and the big herms that was just east of herms palace in sam and hye"s parking lot
                                          I definitely remember Big Herm's and always thought it odd that there would be two places with a guy named Herm, both selling Hot Dogs, less than a block apart. As for Hank's, I have a very vague recollection of it but nothing I can put my finger on.

                                          Buddy
                                           
                                            BuddyRoadhouse

                                            • Total Posts: 4074
                                            • Joined: 12/10/2004
                                            • Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                            RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Sun, 02/24/08 10:31 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Luvstoeat
                                            Don't forget that over by Harrer Park there also was the sales lot for Lindahl Cedar Homes which had an A-Frame log cabin sitting, facing Dempster street....
                                            I don't remember that at all. North or south side of the street?

                                            Buddy
                                             
                                              Luvstoeat

                                              • Total Posts: 88
                                              • Joined: 7/21/2004
                                              • Location: Morton Grove, IL
                                              RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Sun, 02/24/08 10:44 PM (permalink)
                                              It was on the north side of Dempster about half a block (or so) east of the tracks. It has fond memories for me due to the fact I had my first car accident in front of th place when I was sixteen (and had my license all of about three months).
                                               
                                                kensandyeggo

                                                • Total Posts: 567
                                                • Joined: 6/3/2007
                                                • Location: Charlotte, NC
                                                RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/25/08 12:19 AM (permalink)
                                                I recall that when I lived on Waukegan Rd., about 1/2 mile south of Dempster, Lindahl had 3 homes on the lot. My ex-wife and I looked at all 3 as we were interested in one of their homes. This would have been around 1970, give or take a couple years. We never bought one. Are you sure they weren't on the south side of Dempster? I would drive north on Waukegan Rd. to Dempster and make a right turn to go to work in Evanston, and as I recall, they were at the southeast area of Waukegan Rd. and Dempster. They would be on my right as I headed east on Dempster to go to work in Evanston. Of course, almost 40 years of time may have affected my memory........what were we talking about?
                                                 
                                                  lostnthemail

                                                  • Total Posts: 427
                                                  • Joined: 7/23/2006
                                                  • Location: Louisville, MS
                                                  RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/25/08 7:06 AM (permalink)
                                                  Thanks, BuddyRoadhouse. That sounds right!
                                                   
                                                    Steven67

                                                    • Total Posts: 17
                                                    • Joined: 2/18/2008
                                                    • Location: wilmette, IL
                                                    RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/25/08 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                                    The original Herm sold to a longtime employee I remember and I think his name was Johnny. They then built the new larger place I believe without his knowledge as the legend goes across the street. The old place died quickly.
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by phatphil

                                                    everyone thinks im crazy, im from skokie and does anyone remeber a vienna place called hanks, it was next door to mcdonalds on dempster and niles center rd, mcdonalds bought it to expand into a drive thru with more parking in the early 80's

                                                    and the big herms that was just east of herms palace in sam and hye"s parking lot
                                                    I definitely remember Big Herm's and always thought it odd that there would be two places with a guy named Herm, both selling Hot Dogs, less than a block apart. As for Hank's, I have a very vague recollection of it but nothing I can put my finger on.

                                                    Buddy
                                                     
                                                      Steven67

                                                      • Total Posts: 17
                                                      • Joined: 2/18/2008
                                                      • Location: wilmette, IL
                                                      RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/25/08 5:53 PM (permalink)
                                                      I remember the spot you are referring to. I believe there was also a teen nightclub there, but I can't remember the name.

                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by phatphil

                                                      everyone thinks im crazy, im from skokie and does anyone remeber a vienna place called hanks, it was next door to mcdonalds on dempster and niles center rd, mcdonalds bought it to expand into a drive thru with more parking in the early 80's

                                                      and the big herms that was just east of herms palace in sam and hye"s parking lot
                                                       
                                                        Steven67

                                                        • Total Posts: 17
                                                        • Joined: 2/18/2008
                                                        • Location: wilmette, IL
                                                        RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/25/08 5:56 PM (permalink)
                                                        Many folk acts played at Mr. Kelley's. Same with The Gate of Horn. The Kingston Trio, Limelighters, along with Bob Gibson and Bob Camp, who just might have been the two you are referring to.

                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by jfitz

                                                        In December a friend and myself went to lunch at Gibson's.[Tom Dreisen was at door ;had nice conversation] During lunch I said to waitress,"I remember coming to Wells St. to a restaurant/night club called Mr. Kelly's in the early '60's. She said,"Well you're sitting in it"! Mr. Kelly's was the spot back then. Entertainment that night was two guys with guitars singing their only hit a folk song something about "strawberries".I think I wore a suit. Later went to Playboy Club.Very crowded and intimdating for college guys.
                                                         
                                                          Steven67

                                                          • Total Posts: 17
                                                          • Joined: 2/18/2008
                                                          • Location: wilmette, IL
                                                          RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/25/08 5:57 PM (permalink)
                                                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                          Buddy, I went to Golf Jr. High, grad in '64, Niles North, grad 68. Lived on beckwith near National Park. Worked at the old Korvette store while in high school, and again for a couple years after while in college. i remember much since age 5 in Morton Grove going back to 1955!


                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

                                                          Well now I have to figure out if we know each other Steven.

                                                          I too grew up in Morton Grove; my parents are still there, near Austin Park, going on 49 years. Grade school was Edison, Junior High was Lincoln, and High School was Niles West; graduating in '75. I worked at Pequod's from '73 until Burt sold the place in '86. I now work for him (only one night a week these days) at his new place two blocks west of the old Pequod's building.

                                                          So what's your story?

                                                          Buddy
                                                           
                                                            lynndunham

                                                            • Total Posts: 194
                                                            • Joined: 2/12/2007
                                                            • Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
                                                            RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? Mon, 02/25/08 6:20 PM (permalink)
                                                            I went to Mr. Kelly's twice, once to see Dick Gregory and once to see Woody Allen. On one of those trips, my date took me to the Playboy Club first. That would have been around 196?.
                                                             
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 4 of 7, messages 91 to 120 of 196

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com