Anybody Remember these Chicago Places?

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
Jim2903
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 238
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/08 10:32:32 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/08 21:50:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Steven67

Poochie's Too is really just Poochie's. On Dempster east of Crawford. Been there since about 1967-68. Still one of the best cheddarburgers to be found. A place that rivals theirs' is the Paradise Pup on River just south of Oakton. Forget $10 burgers. Both of these places are cheddarburgers from heaven.

Don't forget the Char Salami with carmelized onions and Merkt's cheddar...

At the Pup, I'm loving the the Very Raspberry shakes with the fries three way - bacon, sour cream and Merkt's cheddar.

Of course, burgers at both are fantastic!
ajp1111
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/09 22:28:19 (permalink)
Akavar

The place you are thinking about was The Dill Pickle on Van Buren Street. Fabulous deli that was torn down when the new market building went up. You can see it in the Blues Brothers movie, as it was right down the street from all the sleazy hotels and cafeterias that used to be on Van Buren. I spent many a lunch hour at the Pickle, fabulous corned beef and pastrami sandwiches. Also, wanted to mention the gone but not forgotten Glass Dome Hickory Pit on Halsted. For my money, the best ribs ever in Chicago. We would drive over from the Loop several times a month for lunch.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/11 08:42:47 (permalink)
AJP -

Thanks for the correction. When I was a kid lunch on Saturday frequently was corned beef or pastrami at either Dill Pickle or Braverman's.

Is Braverman's still open?
trainutlen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/11 09:19:25 (permalink)
Cohasset Punch was on Madison Street, west of Wells I believe, and that was the name. I remember the Lighthouse-say anyone remember Mayflower Donuts where they were made on a conveyor belt?
waderu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/12 21:47:52 (permalink)
What a fun site! I grew up in Chgo in the 70s.. Devon Ave. All Indian restaurants now (some quite good). Wolfy's and Fluky's were our fave hot dog places. Barnabys was a big hangout for pizza in high school. We liked Gullivers and Lou Malnatis too. Kow Kow on Devon Ave for Chinese. The Fondue Stube for a fancy dinner on Peterson across from mather high school. Anyone read "Crossing California?" He's a total name dropper of Chicago restaurants and hangouts in the 70s/80s.
Capybara91
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 240
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/12 22:29:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by waderu

What a fun site! I grew up in Chgo in the 70s.. Devon Ave. All Indian restaurants now (some quite good). Wolfy's and Fluky's were our fave hot dog places. Barnabys was a big hangout for pizza in high school. We liked Gullivers and Lou Malnatis too. Kow Kow on Devon Ave for Chinese. The Fondue Stube for a fancy dinner on Peterson across from mather high school. Anyone read "Crossing California?" He's a total name dropper of Chicago restaurants and hangouts in the 70s/80s.

Thank you for the book tip. I used to drive a school bus on West Devon and was a part-time reporter for the Lerner Newspapers. I remember The Bagel at 3000 W Devon, a great deli, and Natraj, an Indian place at 2240 Devon.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/13 09:10:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by waderu

We liked Gullivers and Lou Malnatis too.

Gulliver's is still around and still pretty good.
Capybara91
Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/13 09:33:07 (permalink)
You can order Malnati's pizzas on line. Don't know how good they are.

I remember St Patricks Days at Connelly's Pub on Devon. I'd sit at the bar and look at photos of JFK with Da Mayor and a sign that said An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold on to a blade of grass and not fall of the edge of the earth. I told myself that as I drank shots of Jamesons with Guinness chasers.
Steven67
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/14 16:26:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Akavar

AJP -

Thanks for the correction. When I was a kid lunch on Saturday frequently was corned beef or pastrami at either Dill Pickle or Braverman's.

No, Braverman's is gone. I think they tried a downtown location some years ago, but in name only. It was no where like that old steam table slice of deli heaven I remember at Chicago and Ashland.

At least there is still Manny's at Jefferson and Roosevelt. Corned beef sandwiches piled to the moon. Just thinking about it is driving me wild.
Steven67
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/14 16:28:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

quote:

Poochie's Too is really just Poochie's. On Dempster east of Crawford. Been there since about 1967-68. Still one of the best cheddarburgers to be found. A place that rivals theirs' is the Paradise Pup on River just south of Oakton. Forget $10 burgers. Both of these places are cheddarburgers from heaven.

At the Pup, I'm loving the the Very Raspberry shakes with the fries three way - bacon, sour cream and Merkt's cheddar.

You my friend, like myself know where the best can be found!
Steven67
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/14 16:30:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

quote:

You my friend, like myself know where the best can be found!
mefy2k
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/14 16:32:28 (permalink)
Steak place could have been Tad's. There was one on Wabash. It was very reasonable, therefore, it could have been the place to take kids. Also, I remember Sherlock's Home. It was a quasi English pub style restaurant maybe in Streeterville. I went there a couple of times. It was kind of a fun atmosphere and reminded you of a library.
Capybara91
Cheeseburger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/14 23:51:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mefy2k

Steak place could have been Tad's. There was one on Wabash. It was very reasonable, therefore, it could have been the place to take kids. Also, I remember Sherlock's Home. It was a quasi English pub style restaurant maybe in Streeterville. I went there a couple of times. It was kind of a fun atmosphere and reminded you of a library.

Tad's Steakhouse This was on Randolph, I believe, in the Loop. Wow, this is really going back to my early days when my mother took us shopping downtown. They served a Bonanza style steak with garlic bread and baked potato for some outrageously cheap price. As a treat later we would have a shake on the round stools at State Street Walgreens counter.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/15 08:17:19 (permalink)
Was Tad's the place where the guy stood up front by the window cooking the steaks? You could see all the flame and smell the steaks cooking as you walked by. I remeber taking the Rock Island line from the far south side to La Salle Street Station and eating at a steak joint like that when I was a kid.
chicagosfamousrestaurants
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2008/10/29 09:47:46 (permalink)
To All,

I am writing a book about Chicago's Famous Restaurants. I am looking for pictures, post cards etc and ideas for this book. I need to know why the pace was famous, who went there, what happened there, what was special etc etc

Please email ideas & suggestions to chicagosfamousrestaurants@gmail.com

Thanks
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2009/01/16 19:00:51 (permalink)
Boy, what memories for an old Chicagoan like me. The Fair dept. store - became Montgomery Ward's in the ' 60s ( now demolished ); the site of my first job after high school. Henry's Hamburgers - a good-size multi-state chain that was gone by the mid-' 70s. There's actually one Henry's left; it's in Michigan ( Benton Harbor, I think. ) You can Google it to find out exactly where it is. I sure remember Mr. Kelly's nightclub. It was mentioned in Irv Kupcinet's column almost every day. Richard's Drive-In Car-feterias had several locations in Chicago in the ' 60s - great triple-decker burgers served by carhops. Anybody remember Henrici's restaurants? All gone by the mid-' 70s. Memories, memories.....
rustykatz
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2009/10/18 19:40:50 (permalink)
The steakhouse you're thinking of, I believe was "The Flame" on Touhy near Lincoln. The Kamoosh (Camuch) at La Choza's was a chip with a little refried beans covered by a little white cheese and topped with guacamole. Does anyone remember the garlic soup?
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3323
Re:Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2009/10/19 00:06:07 (permalink)
As a young lad residing in Lincolnwood, I remember the night of May 13, 1958, when Allgauer's Fireside Restaurant, on the corner of Touhy & Lincoln was torched. Two weeks later, May 27, 1958, Villa La Main, on the corner of Main & McKormick in Skokie was torched.  The owner lived across the street from my house on Kedvale. One day his car was bombed. Fortunately, no one was injured.

CSD
Born in Chicago
Raised in Lincolnwood
Escaped to Wisconsin
Working in Chicago
mikes812
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2009/12/02 21:52:53 (permalink)
I thought I was the only person who remembered that monorail train at the Fair Store. I'm 60 years old now, but I remember riding on that monorail when I was 6 or 7 years old. That monorail did suspend from the ceiling and took children on a 8-10 minute ride around the whole toyland department at Christmas time. The effect was like flying over the whole toy department....really a wonderful memory. I've never been able to find any information on this monorail, but it did exist.
dj6969
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2010/03/31 13:10:27 (permalink)
Akavar

AJP -

Braverman retired and closed the store many years ago.
dj6969
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2010/03/31 13:11:50 (permalink)
It could have been Tad's.  Tad's was right next door to the Forum Cafeteria in downtown Chicago.  The grill went all the way up to the front window.
dj6969
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2010/03/31 13:15:21 (permalink)
In Winston Park it was Holloway House Cafeteria.  I know there was another Holloway house on Harlem Avenue near the old Maurice Lenell Cookie Jar and just down the street from Mrs. Murphy's - Another good place that's long gone.

Holloway House used to have All-U-Can-Eat Fried Chicken nights where servers cruised the dining room with hot boxes filled with chicken so you didn't have to get up to get more.
TheMunchies
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2010/06/21 11:33:26 (permalink)
The Inferno was at the corner of Central and Green Bay Road. Burt left The Inferno in the early 60s in order to open Gulliver's. There is now a bank where The Inferno once stood.
BuddyRoadhouse

No, students would never have hiked out to Green Bay Rd., 1/4 mile west of the stadium, for 'za!
Dante's Inferno was indeed on Central but just west of Ridge, a doable walk from north campus. After it burned down, the lot was vacant for some time, then a medical office building/parking garage was put up there. If you drive down Central and look at the overhead walkway to Evanston Hospital, that's about exactly where the Inferno (or "Fern's" to some) was. I remember it fondly as having almost no lighting (candles in colored glass jars), Lowenbrau (regular or dark) on tap, pitchers $1 with NU ID, gobs of cheese and thick dough in the deep dish, and more Bob Dylan on the jukebox than any place I've seen since.
dharris
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2010/07/04 21:15:13 (permalink)
""La Choza" (no relation to the one that's in Chicago now, I don't think) was my first taste of Mexican food. They had a "Mexican pizza" that they called "camoosh" (or something like that), and some of the best chicken flautas I've ever had"

Thanks for the reminder...haven't thought of that place in years. And the 'camoosh' was fantastic!! Used to stop at the bar (almost next door) for a quick shot and a beer before heading back to Evanston via the 'EL".
dharris
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2010/07/04 21:22:06 (permalink)
Does anyone remember the name of the restaurant on Sherman and University Place in Evanston (right nearby Northwestern University). I used to work there as a waiter back in 1967 and 1968, but for the life of me can't remember the name of the place. It was a big hangout for the students.
post edited by dharris - 2010/07/04 21:24:37
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4320
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2010/07/05 00:22:32 (permalink)
Yesterday's?

Buddy
dharris
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2010/07/05 00:25:55 (permalink)
Hi Buddy,

Thanks for the response, but that doesn't sound right. I'll have to give it some more thought.

-Dennis
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4320
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2010/07/05 09:34:19 (permalink)
Any further description of the place itself?  Menu?  Decor?  Exterior appearance?

Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2010/07/05 20:49:06 (permalink)
dj6969

In Winston Park it was Holloway House Cafeteria.  I know there was another Holloway house on Harlem Avenue near the old Maurice Lenell Cookie Jar and just down the street from Mrs. Murphy's - Another good place that's long gone.

Holloway House used to have All-U-Can-Eat Fried Chicken nights where servers cruised the dining room with hot boxes filled with chicken so you didn't have to get up to get more.

As a kid, we frequented the Holloway House often...perhaps every two months.  Had the turkey with the works on several ocasions!  Always enjoyed the dessert section...but what kid wouldn't!

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1