Anybody Remember these Chicago Places?

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Author
BigAlFromChgo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2011/08/03 20:16:14 (permalink)
Read all 180 of the threads on the Chicago Places topic.  I must have lived very close to one of you as I resided at Beckwith and National in Morton Grove from 1954-63.  I remember some of the local restaurants like the Pit 'n Grill at Waukegan and Beckwith (across the street from The Barn of a Thousand Bargains.)  It had a chicken on a spit in the front wndow.  Also Josie's Pizzaria on Waukegan Rd. wasn't too bad either.  When home on leave from the service, in 1965,  I remember a drive-in on the south side of Dempster just east of Lehigh in Morton Grove.  Can anyone remember the name of that place?  I think they had another location with the same name in Mt. Prospect on Rand Rd.  I guess these places gave the North/Northwesterners a chance to showoff their hot cars without having to drive down to Skip's on North Ave.  Other restaurants I remember were Weller's on Waukegan Rd. and Dohl's Morton House where Lincoln Avenue used to end next to the Forest Preserve.
dirwuf
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2011/08/04 00:47:38 (permalink)
FYI...the original Poochies has moved about two blocks east on Dempster, same menu, slightly more seating.

I grew up in Lincolnwood and then Skokie...used to love The Ranch on Devon, Henry's on Lincoln, Hot Dog Island, Big Herm's...and when my dad took me downtown to work, Wimpy's for burgers.

What was the name of the hot dog place on the southeast corner of Devon and Lincoln? Must have closed around 1970. Also, what was the burger place on Lincoln by Howard, right next to Niles East?
post edited by dirwuf - 2011/08/04 00:53:17
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4177
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2011/08/04 03:17:44 (permalink)
The burger place was called "Henry's"; kind of a McDonald's knock off.  As for the hot dog place near Devon and Lincoln, you might be thinking of the Bunny Hutch.  It's still around and not very good.  The owner is trying to position the place as a family entertainment center with a low end miniature golf course attached to the hot dog stand.

The drive in on Dempster, at least as far as I remember, was on the north side where Harrer Park and swimming pool are now located.  I remember an A frame building, but I can't remember the name of the place or much else about it.  There was a full service family restaurant in the location you're describing: L'il Abner's Hamburgers, featuring a giant statue of the titled comic strip character standing in the parking lot with a platter full of burgers balanced in one hand.

The Morton House is also long gone; replaced with a huge condo complex, named after the now missing restaurant.

Buddy
dirwuf
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2011/08/05 10:35:20 (permalink)
Buddy...I'm familiar with the Bunny Hutch and know it's still there, I'm thinking of a little hot dog shack that was basically kitty-corner from it, on the south side of Devon and the the east side of Lincoln (I think there's a gas station there now).

...and the burger place is not Henry's....that was much further south on Lincoln, almost by Pratt. The place I'm thinking of was almost on the Niles East campus, and I think had a red sign.
post edited by dirwuf - 2011/08/05 10:39:02
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2011/08/05 13:41:12 (permalink)
burger chef ?
cito4633
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2011/08/05 13:48:34 (permalink)
Bay's  ???????
mjsneddon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 230
Re:Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2011/08/09 21:56:25 (permalink)
The "assembly line steak place" sounds like Ronnies.  There were two or three of them in downtown Chicago.  I ate two or three times at the one on Wabash.  The last time was in the late 1980s.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2011/08/09 22:40:20 (permalink)
cito4633
Bay's  ???????

If it wasn't Henry's near Niles East HS, then Bay's sounds right.

Buddy
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2011/08/10 14:05:24 (permalink)
found this

wreckwriter
Rookie Author
Illinois

Ignore wreckwriter Report Abuse

someone wrote in and o henrys hamburgers was inside kiddieland at golf rd and skokie blvd, it was burger chef that was next to niles east REPLIES (newest first)  
otis5
Champion Author Illinois

Ignore otis5 Report Abuse

Before I respond to your comment.....Why didn't you just respond on that topic?

With that said, there WAS a O'Henry's in front of Kiddeland on Skokie Blvd. and Golf Rd. How do I know? I went to kiddieland as a youth and while eating a burger with my grandparents who took me there, my father walked around front the back because he was delivering their french fries to them. He owned a frozen food business back then. There were many O'Henry's back then.

Since your a rookie I won't beat you up. (Man, was I beat up a few times!) answer on the topics and you'll do great! Welcome!!  
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3286
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2012/02/10 13:27:11 (permalink)
dirwuf

FYI...the original Poochies has moved about two blocks east on Dempster, same menu, slightly more seating.

I grew up in Lincolnwood and then Skokie...used to love The Ranch on Devon, Henry's on Lincoln, Hot Dog Island, Big Herm's...and when my dad took me downtown to work, Wimpy's for burgers.

What was the name of the hot dog place on the southeast corner of Devon and Lincoln? Must have closed around 1970. Also, what was the burger place on Lincoln by Howard, right next to Niles East?

Our family moved to Lincolnwood from the west side of Chicago in 1956. Back then Henry's on Lincoln Avenue was "The" place for cheeseburgers, malts, and pies. I worked for Mort Phillips, the owner of the Lincolnwood Henry's from 1961-1966. In 1966, Mort parted ways from the Henry's franchise and renamed the place "Alpha's," after his wife. A few blocks south of Henry's was a miniature golf course and the Bunny Hutch, both owned by the Klatzko family from Northfield. Chief Klazzko was the chief of police of Northfield at that time. Going east on Devon, a few blocks past Thillen's Stadium was the Ranch. my favorite north side hot dog stand. Originally opened in 1952 by Al and Isabel Deutsch, it was sold to Lippert Bromberg, who renamed it "Lippy's." Great natural casing dogs and the greasiest potato lakte on the city's north side. Any questions?
The_Q
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
Re:Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2012/04/09 10:58:20 (permalink)
What a great thread! So many memories! I am hoping some of you can help me. Like many of you I remember certain places on the north side of Chicago that people say never existed. If any of you have any info I would appreciate it.

1. Schmendls Hot Dogs on Foster and Lincoln(gone since the 70's)

2. Town and Country Restaurant at Clark And Ridge where White Castle is now.

3. A restaurant in Rogers Park on Rogers I believe that had a little black dog as its sign outside. It was a nice sit down restaurant ("Scottys"? as in scottish terrier?)

4. Rustlers Steakhouse (on Clark a few blocks north of Peterson)

Thanks,

Sean
Shortblocker
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2012/09/09 12:12:19 (permalink)
The_Q

What a great thread! So many memories! I am hoping some of you can help me. Like many of you I remember certain places on the north side of Chicago that people say never existed. If any of you have any info I would appreciate it.

1. Schmendls Hot Dogs on Foster and Lincoln(gone since the 70's)

2. Town and Country Restaurant at Clark And Ridge where White Castle is now.

3. A restaurant in Rogers Park on Rogers I believe that had a little black dog as its sign outside. It was a nice sit down restaurant ("Scottys"? as in scottish terrier?)

4. Rustlers Steakhouse (on Clark a few blocks north of Peterson)

Thanks,

Sean

post edited by Shortblocker - 2012/09/09 12:35:58
Shortblocker
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2012/09/09 12:40:11 (permalink)
Town & Country: It was a popular family joint, with a bar, for years. Most of the property went to Carson's Ribs. Then the east side went to White Castle, while the west side was retained for a Carson's takeout joint for a while.
#3: Scotties on Damen, another long-standing, now-closed family joint with a bar, on the NW corner of Rogers and Damen.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2012/09/09 15:48:35 (permalink)
IIRC, Town & Country had a second location on North Avenue right at the exit off of I-94.  There's a high end car dealership there now; maybe Mercedes or Jaguar.

Buddy
mochop
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2013/03/31 03:04:01 (permalink)
Okay, a lot of things tocover here: Burt did own the Inferno, an original partner at Gullivers, then to Pequoids and now to Burt's Place. Jerry the owner of Gulliver's dies a few years ago, Jerry the owner of the Inferno (along with his partnerAsheley) are stll around, Jerry owns Mustard's Last Stand on Central Street. TheInferno was located on Central west of Green Bay until the bank was built, then on Central east of the el tracks, until that building was torn down for theGraham Medical Building. 
The list here of restaurants: Thanks, I owned Scampy's for three years. Good beef made right.We made it ourselves.  I loved the Harris on Irving Park at 4 in the morning.
TheBig Pickle was the same place that housed Rick's at Benson and Clark and was the Campus Den before that and is a mexican place now.
Daves is now on Chicago avenue near Church.

mochop
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody Remember these Chicago Places? 2013/03/31 03:10:46 (permalink)
Jerry passed away 6 years ago and his wife sold it a few years ago (Gullivers). Jerry and Ashley who owned the Inferno after Jerry and Burt left, also started and Jerry still owns MUSTARD'S LAST STAND the hot dog place next to the stadium on Central. The Inferno's second location was just east of the Central Street el station across from the hospital. That building was torn down and is now the Graham Medical Center. I worked at the Inferno, Gulliver's, Mustard's  and The Spot as well as Villa Gergenti on Paulina of Howard.
Burt still makes a goo pizza in Morton Grove.
Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1