The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Anybody remebers Farmer Pete's or Farmer Peat's

garryd451

• Total Posts: 699
Anybody remebers Farmer Pete's or Farmer Peat's Tue, 06/7/05 9:48 AM (permalink)
Anybody remembers Farmer Pete's or Farmer Peat's Meats? I can't remember the correct spelling. but I do remember it was a either a regional or national meat Company, out of the Detriot area of Michigan.

They made the best polish sausage, liver sausage, head cheese, hot dogs, etc., etc., and etc. I remember that both of my Grandmothers bought and serve their products during the 1960's and 1970's. Anybody remembers this? Also are they still in business?

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Anybody remebers Farmer Pete's or Farmer Peat's Tue, 06/7/05 9:56 AM (permalink)
    I'll have to check to see if they're still in business... But my aunt worked at the Grand Rapids smokehouse back in the 60's and 70's... She used to double smoke our hams for the holidays.. Always looked forward to that!

vespasteve

• Total Posts: 1
      RE: Anybody remebers Farmer Pete's or Farmer Peat's Sun, 10/12/08 8:50 PM (permalink)
      i live near the farmer petes in michigan they have not closed down you can still get there very good meat just go toalex ander&hornung they bought the plant from their boss and havent changed a thing the meat is still sooo goood. good luck

JaysonEats

Re:Anybody remebers Farmer Pete's or Farmer Peat's Sun, 01/16/11 8:29 PM (permalink)
        I grew up with Farmer Pete Hot Dogs & Bologna. This was in the late 1960's - 70's The company went broke in the late 70's early 80's. As I recall it had something to do with bad management or maybe it was embezzlement.  I do remember something about the employees buying the company but I have done some checking and have not been able to find any information on the company. I am sure they are closed for good and have been for a number of years.

trbeer

• Total Posts: 30
          Re:Anybody remebers Farmer Pete's or Farmer Peat's Sun, 01/30/11 12:58 PM (permalink)
          Denny McClain, the last MLB pitcher to win 30 games, embezzeled the heck out of Farmer Petes and decimated the company.  I'm too lazy too Google it but you can find the information on Farmer Petes.  They were in Chesaning, Michigan.

trbeer

• Total Posts: 30
            Re:Anybody remebers Farmer Pete's or Farmer Peat's Sun, 01/30/11 1:24 PM (permalink)
            BY MIKE BRUDENELL
            FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

From champion pitcher to common crook, Denny McLain has been there, done that.

Once the face on Time magazine, McLain hurled his way into baseball history when he won 31 games for the Tigers in 1968, helping them to a World Series title and doing his part to heal a wounded city.  For all his fame and good fortune, however, McLain could not control his gambling and drinking, rubbing shoulders with reputed mobsters in Las Vegas and taking illegal bets from around Michigan.

In 1970, McLain, winner of two Cy Young awards, was suspended by commissioner Bowie Kuhn for his involvement in gambling.  "I'm not an altar boy, and I've associated with some funny people, but I'm certainly not Al Capone," says McLain, now 60, in the acclaimed documentary series "Beyond the Glory," which will air in Detroit on Fox Sports Net at 8 p.m. Sunday.

There would be those who'd disagree with McLain, who went from a 30-game winner with the world at his fingertips to eventual two-time loser of the prison system following his retirement at 29. 
            In 1985, McLain was indicted on charges of racketeering, conspiracy, extortion and possession of cocaine with intent to distribute and conspiracy to import the drug. He was convicted of the charges and sentenced to 23 years in jail.

McLain did just over two years and was released when his conviction was reversed, on the grounds of prosecutorial misconduct.

But it didn't take McLain long to find trouble again.

After he and a business associate bought a meatpacking company in Chesaning in 1993, McLain was later accused of embezzling $3 million from the company's pension fund when the place went bankrupt in 1995.

McLain and his partner were charged with an assortment of crimes, including embezzlement, money laundering and mail fraud. McLain did time at a minimum-security prison camp in Pennsylvania. He was released in 2003.

cascades

Re:Anybody remebers Farmer Pete's or Farmer Peat's Tue, 03/25/14 1:57 PM (permalink)
              My dad worked for Farmer Peets in Battle Creek in the mid 1950's. He was a salesman driving a route throughout southern Michigan. Before that he had a meet distributing business for Rosevale in Marshall, MI in the 1940's and early 1950's.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com