Hot!Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8701
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2006/08/06 00:11:05 (permalink)
When I saw the word Mortons, my mind immediately drew me back to the cake-like cinnamon donuts.Can still taste them in my minds eye.They also made a tuna pot pie which i loved well into my early twenties.Have been looking for a frozen tuna pot pie ever since.......
jajarino68
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 154
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2006/10/15 19:58:56 (permalink)
Came across this thread and like everyone else recalled the donuts. Did some research and thought I would post the image I found.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8701
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2006/10/15 20:22:05 (permalink)
What great memorabilia!!Where on earth did you find those pictures??
xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2006/10/15 20:38:13 (permalink)
www.theimaginaryworld.com
jajarino68
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 154
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2006/10/16 18:53:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

What great memorabilia!!Where on earth did you find those pictures??

It came up under a search I did under google images.
tinkagain
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2006/11/04 18:54:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BostonChowHound

I remember having these as a kid before heading to school. They came in a brown box, probably 18 to a box, but they were "mini". Just enough for my brother, sister & I to wolf 'em down before school. The "glazed" variety were doughy, not unlike a Krispy Kreme. I vaguely recall a cake-like sugar/cinammon variety as well.

Does anybody else remember these? My brother, sister & mother all think I'm nuts.

I just did a Google search looking for any hint of these little gems and this forum came up. My mouth waters at the thought of those hot little Morton's mini cinnamon doughnuts. We put them in the toaster oven and ate until we couldn't eat anymore. Definitely the best thing Morton ever made. I miss them!!![|)]
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2006/11/04 20:00:41 (permalink)
I DO remember those well. A couple of mini-cinnamons and a tall glass of Carnation Instant Breakfast (chocolate malt flavor) was my favorite before heading off to school as a 7th grader. Welcome to RF, tinkagain!
tinkagain
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2006/11/04 22:47:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

I DO remember those well. A couple of mini-cinnamons and a tall glass of Carnation Instant Breakfast (chocolate malt flavor) was my favorite before heading off to school as a 7th grader. Welcome to RF, tinkagain!

OMG! I had totally forgotton about the Carnation Instant Breakfast. I can taste it now. What a sugar rush!
Thanks for the welcome.
tinkagain
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2006/11/07 17:34:49 (permalink)
I wrote Conagra foods who bought Morton Frozen Foods some time ago and asked what happened to Morton's? Here's their reply, I'm sad to say.
Wonder if we could resurrect those doughnuts and honey buns?javascript:insertsmilie('')

November 7, 2006

Dear Mrs. Maxwell,

Thank you for contacting us. We are always pleased to hear from our
consumers but are sorry to inform you that we no longer produce Morton's
frozen foods.

As consumers' preferences for products change, so do the varieties of our
products. Only the products with the greatest consumer appeal remain on
the store shelves over time. Unfortunately, these product did not have
enough consumer interest for us to continue manufacturing them.

We appreciate your patronage and value our customers. We hope you will
continue to enjoy our line of quality food.

Sincerely,

ConAgra Foods Consumer Affairs

051248748A
jvbroyles
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2006/12/20 10:34:11 (permalink)
I was so excited to find this discussion. I LOVED these mini cinnamon donuts. I called them Harold's. My mom said it was because of the little boy in the commercial. I don't really remember him but I do remmeber that these were the only way to get me to get up and go to school! I would love to find an alternative. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
scubagirl
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/01/10 10:06:28 (permalink)
I loved Morton's donuts when I was a kid. I was desperately looking for something that would fill my craving when I stumbled upon a blog that mentioned that a local orchard near me had donuts that were just like Morton's. And the bad news (for me) is that they DO taste just like I remembered Morton's donuts. They're a little bigger - but boy are they good! If I had half a brain I would start an online business shipping these things across the country. I would be a millionaire. LOL!
tigerborn
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/01/29 00:10:19 (permalink)
I vaguely remember the frozen glazed ones. While they were very good, it's hard to beat the convenience of Dunkin' Donuts or Krispy Kreme!
plduclos
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/02/06 13:37:16 (permalink)
I worked for Morton's in Russellville, Arkansas in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Crozet was the "home" city of Morton's. I worked at the Russellville site when they originally set up the doughnut and honey bun lines. (Gosh, I feel old reading all the entries from you young people.) If you remember the great taste of the doughnuts and honey buns that were "store bought" you should have had the opportunity to taste then right from the "line" before they were ever frozen!! They were great!! And I have never found anything that tastes the same. Morton's in Russellville also made TV dinners of several varieties, and pot pies of severl varieties, and cream pies, and frozen chicken (Picnic Basket), and blueberry muffins. I hadn't thought of all that for a long time. When ConAgra bought out Morton's they changed with the times ... the general public doesn't ask for the same type of products anymore...but some of those products really were great.
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!
lynn
TerrierMom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/02/06 17:59:31 (permalink)
We used to have those Morton Donuts Christmas morning when I was a child. Jelly donuts. We first had them when I was 7 or 8, so 1974 or 1975. I think it was the first year they came out with the jelly ones. They became a tradition. We had them every Christmas until they were no longer on the shelves. I was into my early twenties by then.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/02/06 18:14:13 (permalink)
Thinking about those doughnuts gives me the warm and fuzzies.
Mom used to warm them up for us before school.
And I am talking about the 1960's!
I swear I can smell the cinnamon ones right now, and making me miss my mom!
signman
  • Total Posts : 1744
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/02/06 19:45:08 (permalink)
Greetings Lynn. How well I remember having to produce cost accounting numbers for the Russellville plant. As stated several years ago early in this thread, I worked at the Crozet facility for a while in 1973 or so.
williama9
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/03/11 17:51:50 (permalink)
Oh my god, I can't believe I found this thread of discussion. My parents were visting a couple weeks ago and I suddenly remembered these donuts. My mom had forgotten and so I described them to her and how we would nuke them in the microwave. She finally remembered but we couldn't remember the name.

Those were the best donuts -- I loved the glazed ones. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was fond of them.
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/03/16 18:28:09 (permalink)
JUst slightly off topic... Does anyone remember Chock Full o' Nuts Frozen Whole Wheat Donuts? They were delicious, both fresh at the Chock Full coffee shops and from the grocer's freezer.
swimkitty
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/04/02 18:02:04 (permalink)
T.G.I.Friday's has a new dessert called Cinnadunkers. They are mini cinnamon doughtnuts that come to the table in a paper bag you shake with cinnamon/sugar. They taste just like the Mortons. If Friday's has them someone somewhere is manufacturing them for restuarants. I have the leftovers on the counter, I think I'll have to heat one up now.
tinkagain
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/04/02 18:57:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by swimkitty

T.G.I.Friday's has a new dessert called Cinnadunkers. They are mini cinnamon doughtnuts that come to the table in a paper bag you shake with cinnamon/sugar. They taste just like the Mortons. If Friday's has them someone somewhere is manufacturing them for restuarants. I have the leftovers on the counter, I think I'll have to heat one up now.

Thank you for the info! I'll be right there
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/04/05 13:18:19 (permalink)
Slightly off-topic but still pertaining to the Morton's plant in Crozet VA-- In '71 my Dad was looking for employment and applied for a middle management job at the plant. He had an interview but they mutually decided he and the plant were not a good fit. But in the meantime Dad's jobhunting at Morton's was innocently mentioned to our neighbor who was the daughter of Jamie Whitten, then head of the House Agriculture Committee. Next we hear from her that her father had talked to Morton's. Then Dad got a registered letter from the Morton's corporate offices thanking him for his interest but stating again the mutual decision not to join/hire. And the letter was re-dated to BEFORE Congressman Whitten's inquiry and marked "CC: Congressman Whitten."
Dad always got amused at the thought of starting a panic at Morton's corporate offices as they scrambled to appease the incredibly powerful Congressman.
gloria77777
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/04/23 12:26:36 (permalink)
TerrierMom... We also had a Christmas morning tradition of Morton's Honey Buns. We weren't allowed to even look at the Christmas tree till Mom had a cup of coffee in her hand! The coffee and honey buns would be done at the same time--they only took like 3 minutes to get lava hot! a favorite chilhood memory
themixfixer
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/05/22 21:29:40 (permalink)
Well, I might as well post here. I wish there was a special site just for those of us who have mourned the loss of Morton Frozen Donuts for years. Every once in awhile I'll whine about it to my wife. Something reminded me again tonight and just for fun we did a web-search and found this forum. My favorites were the Jelly ones. Also loved the vanilla glazed donut holes. 20 mins in the oven and they were heaven. I couldn't believe the company that bought them thought there was a "lack of consumer interest"...they didn't ask me! There's no other frozen desert that is like they were. Actually both me and my wife have a list of long-lost foods that were taken away, but this one is still #1 on my list.
I continue to mourn. Just thought I'd share.

NatureMuzic
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/09/05 16:24:01 (permalink)
Ahh yes, brings back wonderful memories when I used to work the Dairy/Frozen Food & Deli box in the grocery stores in the 70's ! I remember esp. well the Morton's (grape-filled) jelly donuts ! DId they also make the Honey Buns, 4 to a box ?
Great pics - thanks !
tnarmywife
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/09/15 20:59:46 (permalink)
O jeez, I remember fighting with my younger brothers over their donuts! We used to eat them for breakfast before heading out to school quite frequently. I, too, have been searching for them in the grocery stores for years to no avail. I was able to find a very similar, if not exact, substitute at the movie theater here. They sell what is called "carnival-style" donuts in a packet of about 1 dozen(cinnamon and sugar). They taste exactly like those Morton minis. My daughter was so embarrassed one day when I was picking her up from the movies and I made her run back in to the concession stand to buy me some donuts! :p
poolel
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/10/11 13:00:10 (permalink)
I have searched for these donuts for years. I loved them. If anyone finds them, please share the whereabouts. Thanks
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/10/14 09:35:11 (permalink)

I too, can raise my hand with memories of Morton's donuts. I remember their cream pies with the unique pattern of whipped cream on top. I liked the chocolate pie.
My question is does anyone remember Pillsbury's donuts? Much like their other Poppin' Fresh products, you opened it up much like their cinnamon rolls or biscuits. Here was the fun part and probably why they dissapeared; you cooked them in hot oil!!!
Mom would use her electric skillet (remember those?) and fill it with oil. I bet this product caused many flash fires and spatter burns to such a degree that they took it off the market due to these problems.

mark
hhwarner
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/11/12 09:42:43 (permalink)
Ah how the fog of nostalgia teases me. The cinnamon cake donuts, served fresh and hot right off the cookie sheet, with the bottoms a little crispy. Like so many here, my grandmother used to bake them up for us. I saw them for the last time around 1979 or 1980 in Atlanta. I couldn’t help but buy up a few boxes. Boy did that take me back. Too bad they went away. If catering to the baby boomers is a carriage industry these days, ConAgra could do worse than try a few of these in some selected areas. I vote for the entire southeast as a staging area for the next product trial!
CaryMG
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/11/20 15:27:35 (permalink)
I used ta eat the glazed ones at my friend's house while we listened to "The Wedding Album" -- Cheech & Chong.

My fave is their Chocolate Cream Pie ....

sgtguarnere
Junior Burger
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2007/11/30 08:56:15 (permalink)
I am so glad i found this spot. Those mini cinnamon donuts were a little box of heaven. My three brothers and i would kill to have them back on the market. We had to divide the 18 donuts in 4, so we each got 4 1/2 donuts a piece. You prayed one of your brothers would get sick so you could get 6 each. They had that crispy outter shell, espeically on the bottom. Each of us would eat them as slowly as possibe to enjoy their pure heavenly goodness. I may even give up one of my kids to have those back on the store shelves. Is there anything we can do to get them back. please please please!!!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1