Hot!Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
foodqueen5
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2009/02/26 17:11:17 (permalink)

I also loved those donuts! It ws the best breakfast and/or snack!  Anyone have the recipe? 
SteelyTed
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2009/03/12 04:50:12 (permalink)

I also loved these donuts as a kid and was thrilled when I ran across a similar product.  I decided to give them a try and I must say they are absolutely delicious!!  Just like I remember the Morton's as a kid!  They are made by a company in Canada called "Buehler's" and I found them at Aldi.  You really must try these if you liked the old Morton's gooeyglazed donuts.  If you have an Aldi in your neighborhood run down and getcha some today!  If they don't have them then ask them to get some soon!
punchcard
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2009/06/15 22:20:34 (permalink)
cbtandem

It seems several of us associate Morton's cinnamon donuts with Christmas morning! I looked for them for years after they were discontinued.

Me too!   On Christmas morning my mother would light some candles on the dining room table and serve these. 
Endzone
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2009/08/27 09:42:57 (permalink)
I know you all are talking about dounts, but my great memory of Morton's were their cherry pies!  Morton's made the best--even better than Mrs. Smiths or Sara Lee or anybody--even speciality pie stores!  I would always get them at Kroger's in Ft. Worth, but sometime during the late 80s I noticed they were showing up in the freezer.  A manager there said he ordered 2 cases of them, but they just hadn't shown up. 

I can't imagine that this line was not profitable.  They had to be profitable.  I wonder what the real reason was for shutting it down and why they were sold so many times? 

Anybody know that cherry pie recipe? 

KellyRay
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2010/02/17 20:20:28 (permalink)
I LOVED THOSE DONUTS....... growing up in Charlotte, visiting my Grandmom.  We couldn't get them in FL, no Morton's carried down there, but in NC, it was another story.  Grandmom would get them at the old A&P store at Park Road Shopping Center and store them in the freezer.  I preferred mine just thawed, still chilled -- brother liked his from the oven.  We almost fought over them -- there were 18 in a box and he didn't think we should split the box 50/50.  He was right, of course, since I was 2 years younger and at least 30 lbs smaller, but I still could eat my weight in those donuts. 

I should have known they were out of business -- I'd looked for the "Morton's" brand for years, but never saw it anywhere.  Oh well -- just a treasured memory now.  I'd sure like to have one more box for old times' sake.  : P
CaramelSmoothie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2011/02/20 21:41:58 (permalink)
SteelyTed

I also loved these donuts as a kid and was thrilled when I ran across a similar product.  I decided to give them a try and I must say they are absolutely delicious!!  Just like I remember the Morton's as a kid!  They are made by a company in Canada called "Buehler's" and I found them at Aldi.  You really must try these if you liked the old Morton's gooeyglazed donuts.  If you have an Aldi in your neighborhood run down and getcha some today!  If they don't have them then ask them to get some soon!

Old thread, but I was thinking about these today and googled it and came across this thread. I will be trying this brand out when I get around to going to Aldi's.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2011/02/25 02:19:30 (permalink)
CaramelSmoothie 
Old thread, but I was thinking about these today and googled it and came across this thread. I will be trying this brand out when I get around to going to Aldi's.
Let us know, please. And welcome!

claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2011/02/26 13:38:37 (permalink)
I loved Morton's Frozen Donuts.  I would eat them just out of the oven,before they cooled off.
I,also, loved Banquet Tuna pot pies.  I would love to find them again.
Kate in Bristol
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2011/03/15 13:50:34 (permalink)
I too LOVED Morton's mini Sugar/Cinammon variety.  Just wanted to let you know that Schwan's (the home food delivery company) now sells an item marketed under their name, and only available (to my knowledge).  The donuts taste exactly as I remembered them.  I might add, not cheap.  But definitely worth it!!!!
mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2011/03/21 08:19:01 (permalink)
Saw what might be a similar product at Aldie's - frozen glazed donuts. 
mo4040
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2011/07/29 22:06:39 (permalink)
I went to Miller School back in the early 80's and these doughnuts were in a definate treat. I remember
being on the football team and on some of our away games, the equipment managers would board the bus after the game and start throwing boxes of these doughnuts to us. I never thought teenagers could ever be sated, but after about 30 minuts, we could not eat them all.

God, I miss those days.
utmba_72
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2012/06/13 17:37:18 (permalink)
Been almost a year since there's been activity in this thread.  As old as it is, I'm surprised I'd never come across it before in my periodic searches for Morton's donuts. 

Anyway, I've been periodically able to satisfy my Morton's cravings and thought I'd help spread the word as I just got back into town after getting a fix and that triggered my search. 

In Seattle's Pike Place Market, there's a little donut stand called "Daily Dozen". Not only do they do the Morton-style cinnamon/sugar, but they also do chocolate sprinkle, powdered sugar, and plain as well.

Also, in SF, there's Trish's located in Fisherman's Wharf.  Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I think the name escaped them.

*EDIT - Since I'm a new member, links have been removed to prevent spam, but you can search for either of the two via google or yelp and find them.

Now if only there were a place like one of these in the DFW area.

Did anyone ever determine if Aldi's carried a viable substitute?
post edited by utmba_72 - 2012/06/13 17:39:13
lqm
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2013/12/30 19:28:44 (permalink)
I have dreamed many days about having those tasty little frozen gems in my mouth again with a tall glass of milk. I would sometimes down an entire box of those right after school in the 1970s. They were awesome! I have searched far and wide for something, anything to replace them. I actually found a product that comes very close and yes, they are frozen donuts. Before all of you roll your eyes I will warn you this is a gluten free product and I am not into gluten free, BUT I thought I would try them anyway because I desperately wanted those warm cinnamon donuts in my mouth. I am happy to say they are VERY close in flavor and texture to the Morton's product, but they are bigger, more expensive (because they are gluten free I suppose) and only six to a box because of their larger size. I found them at Whole Foods, but I have seen them in some regular supermarkets across the country in my travels. They are Cinnamon Sugar Donuts from a company called Kinnikinnick Foods Inc. I bake them in the oven like I did those little Morton morsels and they come out slightly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside just like I remember. Hope you like them, but they are a bit pricier than Morton's Cinnamon Frozen Donuts, but it's the best I could find so far. Wait until you try them dipped in milk. Donut heaven!

post edited by lqm - 2013/12/30 19:31:36
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2013/12/31 08:00:54 (permalink)
Welcome to Roadfood, lqm!

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2013/12/31 08:18:08 (permalink)
This thread is nearly a decade old.

In thumbing through the posts on this topic I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of folks who took the trouble to join, yet posted only on this topic.

And so I went back and counted nearly 40!

Either this is the greatest 'recruitment topic' of all time or our welcome mat is a bit frayed. 

In any case, it was nice to see and read again a post from Fieldthistle.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/12/31 08:20:57
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2014/01/01 07:54:24 (permalink)
Is there another thread that attracted more "once & done" sign-ups?
jschlender
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2014/01/11 14:36:55 (permalink)
Mmmmmm - I can remember them now. The Sugar and Spice mini donuts and the honey buns. We even ate them frozen when we could not wait to warm them or we'd out them on ice cream. If anyone finds them, share!
lindsay170
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2014/02/04 07:36:11 (permalink)
Would you share the recipe? Longing for mortons minis
lindsay170
Junior Burger
Re:Anybody remember Morton's Frozen donuts? 2014/02/04 07:44:15 (permalink)
Stan, please share the recipe.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1