Anybody tried Maggie Moo's?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
2004/08/20 15:33:40 (permalink)

Anybody tried Maggie Moo's?

A co-worker just told me about this place, where they mix-in stuff (like fruit or candy) to the ice cream flavor of your choice by hand on a big slab o' granite.

It sounds like it could be yummy? Any reviews?

30 Replies Related Threads

markeble
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2004/08/20 15:38:03 (permalink)
    there are many many people doing this concept, reputedly started by Steve's in Cambridge MA...Maggie Moos is nothing special.

I am a big fan of Ritter's Frozen Custard. really awesome ice cream
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2004/08/20 15:54:03 (permalink)
    I respectfully disagree. I can only review their DARK chocolate flavor and the “Cake Batter” flavor (not sure if that is exactly what it’s called) – basically because I love the Dark Chocolate so much I never get anything else. It’s excellent – I mix in the brownie bites and it’s a chocoholics dream. The hubby had the cake batter flavor and while it was very good, it is just “too much” as a whole cone. It gets kind of sickeningly sweet, if that makes sense. But in small doses it is very different and interesting. It does taste just like vanilla cake batter!
    alesrus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2004/08/20 17:36:25 (permalink)
    Now that I am on the South Beach Plan 3 weeks 10 pounds gone I can't even read the words "Maggie Moos" with out salivating ...they make their ice cream at the store. The also have those chocolate crunchy things that you get in an ice cream cake ... sorry had to wipe my chin... and and you mix that with their MOO cream Ice cream and boy o boy forget south beach we are going to Maggie Moos tonight!!!
    cake batter flavor too sweet

They also have a fun "cow decor" if you like that kind of thing.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2004/08/23 08:25:45 (permalink)
    We tried Maggie Moo's in Des Moines, and didn't think it was anything special. But then again, our winter in Milwaukee and the multiple visits to Kopp's spoiled us and makes any other ice cream place seem mediocre.
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2005/06/03 18:13:47 (permalink)
    After reading the Coldstone posts on the first page, I searched for Maggie Moo's. I've never been to a Coldstone, but I actually toured a Maggie Moo's, watched them make some ice cream and then had a fantastic waffle cone with what the ice cream guru nicknamed chocolate strawberry cheesecake ice cream. I really found it to be excellent.

I'm still not sure it's a Graeter's, though.
    burgerfan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2005/10/06 20:29:13 (permalink)
    Maggie Moos is the best. They just opened near me (north wales PA) and they rock. The Better Batter and the Irish Coffee (made with whiskey) is awesome. Watch out cold stone!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2005/10/12 10:50:08 (permalink)
    I've been to the Maggie Moo's in Adam's Morgan neighborhood of DC.
    It's good, but definately not the best ice-cream in DC.

My favorite creamery in DC is Max's Best on Wisconsin Ave in Glover Park.

It's October, which means Pumpkin ice cream. Max's is the best I've had.

epixie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2006/01/05 00:03:08 (permalink)
    Maggie Moo's is the most amazing ice cream I've ever had. I actually worked at one for a short while. They make it on site so you can't beat the freshness. I think the mistake most people make is the portion. This is very rich ice cream, made with pure heavy cream and simple syrup, where as a lot of ice creams are made with milk or a combination of milk and cream. It is not the thing to have if you feel like polishing off an entire pint. I find a single scoop to be perfect, and while the custom mixing of toppings is fun, the ice cream is the main event. I highly recommend the Turtle cake...
    delicious!!!
    epixie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2006/01/05 00:07:55 (permalink)
    By the way, the Better Batter flavor is made with actual yellow cake mix. It's sooo good, but it is best in small doses.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4211
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2006/01/05 01:00:30 (permalink)
    Been to one of their locations in KC. Good, nothing special. If you happen to be in KC check out Murray's ice cram parlor in the Westport neighborhood. Truly handcrafted, right there in the store. Excellent quality, unique flavors, full range of "mix-ins". Unfortunately, they are closed for the winter. They reopen in March.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2006/01/06 03:44:57 (permalink)
    I have tried Maggie Moo's myself, but it wasn't an experience to cause me to develop a loyalty. I have also been to Coldstone Creamery, and the two chains are very similar in menus, as well as price (which is a little high IMHO).
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2006/01/06 09:09:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

Been to one of their locations in KC. Good, nothing special. If you happen to be in KC check out Murray's ice cram parlor in the Westport neighborhood. Truly handcrafted, right there in the store. Excellent quality, unique flavors, full range of "mix-ins". Unfortunately, they are closed for the winter. They reopen in March.

In the Kansas City area, my favorite is "Sheridan's", especially the almond mocha concrete with 2 shots of expresso stirred in.

But NOTHING equals "Kopp's" in Milwaukee.

I've tried Maggie Moos (in Des Moines) but was not impressed. The likes of Maggie Moos, Marble Slab, Cold Stone, etc. are all show and no go.

WHOOPS I just noticed that I had said all of this before in an earlier (8/04) post to this tread. Sorry.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4211
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2006/01/06 15:05:39 (permalink)
    Hillbilly, I've had Sheridan's and it is good. Just so ya know, they are a chain. Not there's anything (inherently) wrong with that. But if you want a true Roadfood/Ice Cream experience get over to Murray's in Westport when they reopen in March. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. Also, if you haven't already been, hop onto I-70 and shoot over to the other side of Missouri to check out Ted Drewes in St. Louis. As I've said in previous posts Kopp's is darned good. Ted Drewes is better!
    jkml
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2006/02/21 14:10:52 (permalink)
    Had Maggie Moo's in Omaha, and I agree, it wasn't bad, but I would not go out of my way for it. My kids said that also. They still dream about Julie Ann's Custard from Crystal Lake, IL, and we have lived in PA since August! Any suggestions welcome, and don't say Goodnoe's. Definately not impressed with food, ice cream, or service.
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2006/05/17 12:27:13 (permalink)
    Maggie Moo's near us died. I had to search for this thread to see if I missed something. As one of those who used to line up for Steve's in Somerville, MA in the 70s I probably would have been disappointed.

But I'm hoping it's one example of a triumph for local enterprise. Maggie Moo's was in a busy shopping center at a busy intersection, a half mile down the road from an old-fashioned dairy bar run by a delivery dairy (yes, they still deliver). Maybe, just maybe, people stuck with the local product (and the real cows).
    burgerfan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2006/06/23 20:54:26 (permalink)
    Maggie Moo's is rolling out Red Bull Sorbet. Sounds interesting!
    RobertPlant
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2006/07/12 20:39:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by burgerfan

Maggie Moo's is rolling out Red Bull Sorbet. Sounds interesting!

It is, They have a test batch in Columbia, MD - It's good stuff, with a slightly sweeter taste than the beverage, and none of the bitter aftertaste.

I can't get enough Maggie Moos. I go without lunch sometimes just to try a different fresh escape. It's definitely rich (just look at the nutrition on maggiemoos.com) I guess here in Columbia chains rule, and out of any place with more than one location maggiemoo's is def the best.

We also have Brusters Ice Cream in the area which is pretty damn good too, with servings that make you fat just looking at them, but it's still an easy second to maggie's and Cold stone would be a distant third, and anything pre made would be below that, like your Ben and Jerry's, BR, and HaggenDaaz
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2006/07/13 13:01:19 (permalink)
    RobertPlant, I'm in Columbia, too, and you are correct that it's all about chains here. I hate it, and can't wait to move to a town that has "real" food. Having said that, I've eaten Maggie Moo's once or twice at the mall and found it lacking. I much prefer the gelato place (can't remember the name; it's near Nordstrom).

The best local ice cream I have ever had is at the Baltimore Farmer's Market. Hawk's Hill Creamery serves real custard -- their motto is "From Our Cows To You". They also sell very good cheeses. I go to the market most Sundays, and often have a dish of the wonderful vanilla custard. The chain stuff is a pale imitation, trust me!!
    marky
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2006/07/13 13:27:34 (permalink)
    its ok but nothing special. steves in mass. blows it away.
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2006/07/13 13:29:41 (permalink)
    I tried Maggie Moo's at their store in Manhattan. I didn't care for it at all. It's too much of everything: too much sugar, too much fat, too many toppings. The place is so brightly lit, it's actually uncomfortable to sit there. Plus it's got that awful corporate feel to it. I'll stick with Mary's Dairy on West 4th.
    Foxyfishy14
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2008/07/08 09:15:33 (permalink)
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Maggie Moo's! My friends and I call it frozen crack! I find it to be the best ice cream I've ever had...the Chocolate Better Batter tastes exactly like Chocolate Cake Batter! I like this stuff MUCH better than Coldstone...also, I realize that the mix in thing is nothing new, but Coldstone skimps on the amount of mix-ins and their ice cream has a funny aftertaste...not at Maggie's! Oh and I also can't stand the fact that the people sing and go crazy at Coldstone!

Can't get enough of Maggie Moos!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7770
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2008/07/08 09:21:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foxyfishy14

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Maggie Moo's! Oh and I also can't stand the fact that the people sing and go crazy at Coldstone!

To each their own

They both suck

I'll stick to Brickley's in Narragansett or Hilltop Creamery in East Greenwich on the extremely rare occasion that I actually eat Ice Cream.
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2008/07/08 09:51:57 (permalink)
    Over $5 for a regular cone? It ain't your daily ice cream.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6265
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2008/07/08 15:46:25 (permalink)
    I'd rather find a creamery that makes its own homemade...than to frequent any chain...we have several locally and all are better than Coldstone!!!!
    mousec
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2008/07/08 15:53:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Maggie Moo's! Oh and I also can't stand the fact that the people sing and go crazy at Coldstone!

To each their own

They both suck

I'll stick to Brickley's in Narragansett or Hilltop Creamery in East Greenwich on the extremely rare occasion that I actually eat Ice Cream.
    Strong words from a man who professes to rarely eating ice cream. BTW - What about them "sucks"?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7770
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2008/07/08 16:04:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mousec

quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

To each their own

They both suck

Strong words from a man who professes to rarely eating ice cream. BTW - What about them "sucks"?

I rarely eat ice cream because I want to maintain a health weight
    Doesn't mean I don't splurge everyonce in a while

I tried both when they first opened here in RI (actually stone cold did) I don't rememember where I tried maggie moo's
    The ice cream was way too sugary and tasted "artificial"
    Even baskin robbins tasted better than the crap they tried to sell off as ice cream
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2008/07/08 16:40:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pigiron

I tried Maggie Moo's at their store in Manhattan. I didn't care for it at all. It's too much of everything: too much sugar, too much fat, too many toppings. The place is so brightly lit, it's actually uncomfortable to sit there. Plus it's got that awful corporate feel to it. I'll stick with Mary's Dairy on West 4th.

As I perused this thread, I noticed that I had recommended Mary's Dairy two years ago (almost to the day). Sadly, Mary's Dairy is no more, victim of rising overhead, just like Emack & Bolio and several Ben & Jerry's. There are very, very few places left in Manhattan to get great traditional ice cream. However, if you like space-age frozen yogurt, you're in luck! There's a brand new one on every corner! Not limited to:

Pinkberry
    Flurt
    Yoberry
    Berrywild
    Yolato
    Yorganic
    Red Mango
    Grom
    Eks
    40 Carrots

According to Crain's, FORTY new frozen yogurt shops have opened in the city in the past 20 months. Such insanity.

Beverly K
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    Re:Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2009/05/23 15:05:36 (permalink)
    Our two local Maggie Moo's bit the dust. I think because of the prices more than anything.

I will miss their Dark Chocolate as I am partial to Dark Chocolate anything.

Since then I've noticed that Haagen-Dazs has a Dark Chocolate Flavor, limited edition, as does Turkey Hill.

Coldstone has Dark Chocolate Peppermint which is decent, although I'm not a fan of mint ice creams. Sometimes the flavor is overpowering.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    Re:Anybody tried Maggie Moo's? 2009/05/23 15:59:43 (permalink)
    Here in Dallas, Natsumi is the best! Much better than Maggie Moo and, it's organic, too.
    www.natsumiusa.com
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1