Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's?

Author
ShenB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
2007/02/11 21:38:52 (permalink)

Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's?

Does anybody here remember an old hamburger chain in NYC called "Prexy's?

This would have been in the late 50'S into the 60's

Their slogan was "The Hamburger With A College Education"

If so, what do you remember about it?

16 Replies Related Threads

pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2007/03/03 14:10:00 (permalink)
    i remember the slogan and the logo was a guy i think with big black glasses and a gradutation hat.
    heritage
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2007/03/24 14:33:50 (permalink)
    I remember Prexy's hamburgers extremely well as the sustenance of my youth at Columbia and in Yorkville. They had a unique taste and I have spent intermittent hours searching the internet for a recipe that would give a hint of whatever it was that made them taste so great that I can still taste them nearly fifty years later. I can't believe that everyone connected with the chain and the concoction of these magnificent hamburgers has seemingly disappeared off the face of the Earth and that there is no information, other than vague reminiscences, about the restaurants and these quintessentially superb hamburgers.
    Please, if there is anyone out there with information about how to duplicate Prexy's hamburger, please, please post it or e mail me privately...
    BunglingBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2007/03/24 14:52:15 (permalink)
    quote:

Please, if there is anyone out there with information about how to duplicate Prexy's hamburger, please, please post it or e mail me privately...

If you should get a reply to this request, are you going to share it on the Forum?

If not, will you share it with me, please?

BunglingBill
    heritage
    Junior Burger
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2007/03/24 18:49:07 (permalink)
    Of course.
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2007/03/24 19:30:15 (permalink)
    Back in the early '60s, I recall eating a few times at the Prexy's on Broadway somewhere around 105th Street (??), if I recall the location correctly. It was on the west side of Broadway, I think, but since I was approximately 10 or 11 years old at the time, my recollections of the location could be somewhat faulty.

What I do recall vividly is their incredible hamburgers and also the bowls of sliced raw onion that were available for garnishing one's burger. In my house, as a result of my mother's apparent aversion to pronounced tastes in our food, raw onions were unheard of. At Prexy's, I was able to garnish my burger to an extreme extent with the raw onions and this made me one really happy kid.

Even though I only ate there a few times, and even though it was over 4 decades ago, I still have fond recollections of "The Hamburger With a College Education"!
    ShenB
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2007/03/24 22:42:59 (permalink)
    I'm the instigator of this post. I'm not from NYC but rather here in West Michigan. Intrestingly enough I first heard about this burger chain by listening to old Jean Shepherd radio shows broadcast on WOR from the late 50s thru the late 70's. I purchased a couple of CD's that contain hundreds of his old WOR shows in MP3 format and play them on my car audio system. His stories of his youth and growing up in the 30's in Hammond, Indiana are very funny to listen to while driving.

These old hour-long radio shows are complete with the original commercials and thats where I first heard about Prexy's and their slogan "The Only Hamburger With A College Education". Prexy's was one of his advertisers on his show in the early 60's

He once told his radio listeners durring a show to go into the new Prexy's that just opened in "The Village" on Saturday and say quietly "Excelsior" and you will get a free strawberry shortcake with soft ice cream.

In case any of you don't know who Jean Shepherd is, he was a skilled storyteller, entertainer, writer and broadcaster who sadly died in 1999.

He worked in broadcasting his entire life from when he was a teenager in the late 30's "Shep" also wrote short stories that were published in The Village Voice, Playboy Car & Driver and many others. He is best known as the author of "A Christmas Story and is also the narrative voice in the movie. "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out and Red Ryder BB Guns. The movie is shown every Christmas and has become a classic

For more info on Jean go to: http://www.flicklives.com

I have a jpg of the Prexy Place mat Menu but don't have posting privlige so if anyone wants it and/or would like to post it here please e-mail me through roadfood.com

rockpete50
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2007/07/31 12:54:04 (permalink)
    I remember going to a Prexy's in 1963. It was on the East side near Third Avenue around 65th Street. They had black and white photos of different college campuses to go along with their slogan, "The only hamburger with a college education."
    Laro111
    Junior Burger
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2007/09/23 11:26:16 (permalink)
    My father was the manager of Prexy's when it first opened. Sorry I don't have the recipe for the hamburger. I do have old pictures of the opening. I think that they had at least two locations in NY.
    heritage
    Junior Burger
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2007/09/23 13:59:54 (permalink)
    LARO111

Does your father recall any of the principals involved with Prexy's or the corporation that owned it? I'm still looking for whatever they put in the burgers that made them taste so unique.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
    Laro111
    Junior Burger
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2007/09/24 07:51:34 (permalink)
    My father passed away in 1984. I'll look for the Prexy's items. I think I may have an old menu that might have some info on it.
    Prexy
    Junior Burger
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2009/04/17 19:01:00 (permalink)
    I'd love to have a jpg of Prexy's placemat menu. Please advise. Correction: It was "The hamburger with a college education." No "only." It also offered a post-graduate burger. As I understand it, Prexy';s went under in the early 60s and the owner killed himself.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5045
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2009/04/17 19:47:02 (permalink)
    That's a long, long time ago. However, I do remember Prexy's in NYC during the sixties when I lived in Manhattan.
    I don't recall any particular "taste" to their burgers. But, as I said, it was a long, long time ago.
    dede.schmitt
    Junior Burger
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2010/03/30 19:26:22 (permalink)
    my father, larry ely and my uncle, john ely,  founded the prexy's chain.  we lived in bronxville at the time.  and sorry to say, no, I don't know anything about what they put in their hamburgers.  point of informatino, though they're both now deceasedneither one of them committed suicide.  I'd be most grateful if anyone could send jpg images of prexy's materials to me at
    thanks
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2010/03/30 20:42:31 (permalink)
    Welcome, Dede!

Unfortunately, URL's and email addresses posted by new members are not visible to prevent spamming. However, folks can contact you via this forum's private message feature.

About the only thing I remember about Prexy's was the radio commercials. My parents never took me there.
    ShenB
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2010/04/18 20:11:58 (permalink)
    dede.schmitt

my father, larry ely and my uncle, john ely,  founded the prexy's chain.  we lived in bronxville at the time.  and sorry to say, no, I don't know anything about what they put in their hamburgers.  point of informatino, though they're both now deceasedneither one of them committed suicide.  I'd be most grateful if anyone could send jpg images of prexy's materials to me at
    thanks

dede.schmitt,
    I have already posted the Prexy placemat menu here at roadfood.

Follow this link to it  -  http://www.roadfood.com/F...462&mpage=1#552779

shenb

richard o.
    Junior Burger
    RE: Anyone Remember Prexy's In NYC In The 60's? 2012/02/09 22:36:10 (permalink)
    I totally remember Prexy's hamburgers and the unique taste of their hamburgers, and like some of the other posts, I was searching the web just now trying to track down some hint of their "secret ingredients." My parents used to take me to the one near Bloomingdales on Lexington Ave between 57th and 58th Streets on the east side of the street, around 1963-64. I assume MSG was among the ingredients, but that does not explain the particular flavor these burgers had.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1