Anyone Tried These New Smoker Bags?

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10358
2010/12/21 14:58:29 (permalink)

Anyone Tried These New Smoker Bags?

Has anyone tried these new Smoker Bags?
I just received several Smoker Bags as a Christmas present and am anxious to try them. They're a double-walled plastic bag that you can put in your oven or on a grill. You can seal the bags so the smoke does not escape. Apparently there's something between the walls of the bag that creates the smoke. One bag I received is Alderwood for doing fish and the other is Hickory for meats. I also received a "Smoker Bag Cookbook" with over 40 recxipes for cooking stuff in these bags. They look like a neat concept. No mess or fuss and you can serve the food right out of the bag for easy cleanup. Good idea for camping trips. Anyone have any "Tips or Tricks" with these things? Mine are the "Savu" brand imported from Finland.
I've seen several Brands of them on the Net.
There are a number of Sources:
http://www.hotdiggitycajun.com/home.html
http://www.emerilstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=20BA001
http://www.amazon.com/Savu-Smoker-Hickory-Oven-Grill/dp/B000Y041JW

12 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8333
    Re:Anyone Tried These New Smoker Bags? 2010/12/21 22:39:50 (permalink)
    Three years ago when the store I work at now was owned by me I purchased a couple cartons of those smoking bags at the insistance of one of my sales reps.

They did not sell.

I gave them away, individually.

Let me just tell you that not one person that I gave them to ever came back to purchase another.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Anyone Tried These New Smoker Bags? 2010/12/21 22:42:01 (permalink)
    I never tried them, myself.  My oven doesn't vent as well as I'd like and I could imagine a house full of smoke.  
    The rep swore by them.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Anyone Tried These New Smoker Bags? 2010/12/21 22:42:01 (permalink)
    Double post....

Hope that they work for you!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Anyone Tried These New Smoker Bags? 2010/12/22 01:24:10 (permalink)
    Supposedly, the smoke does not leak out of the bag. Emeril has put his name and reputation on one brand of them. I don't think he would take that chance if he wasn't sure if they worked. Your experiences make me even more intrigued with the idea. I'll try one tomorrow and report back! 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Anyone Tried These New Smoker Bags? 2010/12/22 01:26:46 (permalink)
    Great!  I'm very interested in your results.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Anyone Tried These New Smoker Bags? 2010/12/22 07:07:04 (permalink)
    If they work it sounds like a great idea. I would eat more Salmon if I could smoke it in the oven.
    Joe
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Anyone Tried These New Smoker Bags? 2010/12/22 07:50:02 (permalink)
    I tried one about 4 years ago. I saw them at my local supermarket. I think they were from Sweden. The house smelled really good but the meat didn't have much smokey taste. FoodBme, let us know how your's work out.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Anyone Tried These New Smoker Bags? 2010/12/22 21:11:56 (permalink)
    OK youze guys----Here's the report. I just used the Smoker Bag and give it a Thumbs UP! I started with about 3#'s of country style boneless pork ribs. Sprinkled them with Charlie Vergo's Rendezvous Rib Rub and put them in the bag, single layer. The bag is about the size as a standard cookie sheet. This bag was the one with Hickory Chips. The other one is Alderwood and I'll use it for Salmon. I Sealed the bag with a double fold and folded in the corners. Pre-heated the oven to 450 degrees, put the oven rack on the lowest position and put the bag on the rack. Cooked the ribs at 450 for 20 minutes then turned the temp down to 350 for 1 hour, 20 minutes. That's a little longer than the directions recommended but I wanted to make sure they were cooked thoroughly. While they cooked, there was a slight whiff of hickory smoke smell in the kitchen but no visible smoke coming from the oven. It smelled good! When the time was up, removed the bag from the oven and let it rest about 10 minutes without opening it. The bag had ballooned up so I just cut a slit down the middle of the bag and removed the ribs to the plates.
    The meat was tender and just pulled apart. It was a little dry and could have used some BBQ Sauce or Gravy. I'll put sauce or gravy on the left overs. The taste was Very Good - just a right taste of the hickory smoke - enough to give it a good flavor along with the rib rub. I suppose I could have put some of the juice in the bag on the meat but didn't think of it at the time.
    Would I use one again? Absolutely!
    No muss no fuss. Easy Cleanup!
    For the leftovers, I'll chop the meat and eat some with BBQ Sauce and have some with Pork Gravy.
    Drawbacks? Not quite the results that you would get using an outdoor smoker but for a quick and easy way to get authentic smoke flavor, it's a good way to go.

BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:Anyone Tried These New Smoker Bags? 2010/12/23 09:17:42 (permalink)
    Foodbme, my Son processed a pig yesterday and we were talking about smoking the sausage. They made Italian and a few others, I wonder how this would work for the rope sausage. We are in the beginning stages of this process and have not obtained a smoker yet. I have my cows processed USDA so I can use the meat in my Cafe, the pigs are for home use for now, We will process USDA in the future...............Bill
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Anyone Tried These New Smoker Bags? 2010/12/23 10:56:26 (permalink)
    It should work although I see 2 drawbacks. The Bag Size and the Quantity of Smoke you might be looking for. As I mentioned. The bag is about the size of a cookie sheet amd would only hold about 3-4 #'s of sausage. The bags are not reusable, they're 1 use only. The Smoke infused is a light smoke. If you're looking to have a heavy smoke flavor, they won't produce it.
    Cost is another factor. If you buy the bags in quanity the price is lower per unit. Otherwise your cost would be higher but you could buy a lot of bags for the cost of a smoker. Clean up and Temperature control are on the plus side.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/12/23 10:58:10
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Anyone Tried These New Smoker Bags? 2010/12/23 11:36:25 (permalink)
    I'm glad that you had good results.  I might have to look around under all this clutter to see if I brought any home.
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1770
    Re:Anyone Tried These New Smoker Bags? 2012/06/03 15:41:05 (permalink)
    I know it's an old post, but finally got around to trying them.  My daughter was home with a few friends and we decided to do a taste test.  She who controls 51% of the vote of "what will be done" wanted Baby Back Ribs ( I prefer St. Louis), so I got two racks ( of BB!).  One done in the bag with a rub, one done in a disposable aluminum pan with sauce, cooked 3.5 hours at 290 Degrees.

Verdict........both were good, but the sauced ones looked better. Sauced ones were all gone, bagged ones had several to go into the freezer.  I'm more of a sauce person than a rub, but the rubbed/bagged ones had a grey look to them and no outer bark effect.  I would suggest you might want to finish them on the grill for 15 mins with a bit of sauce.

Clean-up and cost comparisons were tie.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1