Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ????

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
ladygodiva
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
2011/08/08 19:50:50 (permalink)

Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ????

Anyone ever think of buying a retail store, (Not a Franchise) a furniture store near Summit Mall is putting out feelers for selling their family owned Furniture & Design store, I was wondering, besides the economy what would be the pitfalls...

also in your opinion, what do you think Akron, Copley, and Fairlawn ohio would benefit from, a bakery or a furniture store

I am considering actually either buying a business or starting my own.  I do think owning a bakery would be fun, I also would like to own a Hawiian Ice, but that would be just seasonal, any thoughts out there

any owners out there who could tell me the ups and downs?

33 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8065
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/08 23:06:05 (permalink)
    I owned a store where besides barbecues and fireplaces I sold outdoor furniture.

That only lasted until the last floor model was "donated".

Whatever I had was never the right color, piece, size or shape.  If I ordered something the customer changed their mind when I got it.  The abuse from customers that my floor models received was criminal.

They went out of style as quickly as China started knocking them off for pennies on the dollar.

The mark up on outdoor furniture was 300 percent.  Great the day it comes out.  When it's time to move them off the floor when the season ends, those 50% sales are still profitable.

I don't know if inside furniture is sold the way outdoor furniture is sold, but.... it was Hell.

I know nothing about bakeries except for the fact I've invested in many of them.

Take baby steps before proceeding if you have no knowledge of these businesses.  
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/09 03:13:31 (permalink)
    I want to buy a bank- they're plenty of empty ones around here. 
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/09 08:40:06 (permalink)
    ladygodiva

I am considering actually either buying a business or starting my own.  I do think owning a bakery would be fun.

If going to bed no later than 8 pm so you can get up at 3 or 4 am every day in order to do the prep work for your bakery sounds like fun to you, then go for it!

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/09 11:35:37 (permalink)
    Start a good Wine and Flower shop, "call it Days of Wine and Roses"...Wine always in demand as are flowers. few would just buy one or the other.
    Furniture store in this housing debacle?
    A Bakery is seriously hard work
    ladygodiva
    Hamburger
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/09 19:02:45 (permalink)
    mar52

I owned a store where besides barbecues and fireplaces I sold outdoor furniture.

That only lasted until the last floor model was "donated".

Whatever I had was never the right color, piece, size or shape.  If I ordered something the customer changed their mind when I got it.  The abuse from customers that my floor models received was criminal.

They went out of style as quickly as China started knocking them off for pennies on the dollar.

The mark up on outdoor furniture was 300 percent.  Great the day it comes out.  When it's time to move them off the floor when the season ends, those 50% sales are still profitable.

I don't know if inside furniture is sold the way outdoor furniture is sold, but.... it was Hell.

I know nothing about bakeries except for the fact I've invested in many of them.

Take baby steps before proceeding if you have no knowledge of these businesses.  

I am, right now I am just getting a feeling right now. I agree with you on the destruction of floor models in a furniture store, (I actually worked at a furniture store, it is true the customers plop down on the sofas, special order customers invariably call weeks later after the order is put in and say I changed my mind. the furniture store I work out marks up theire indoor and outdoor between 1.5 and 2.5, it varies on the manufacturer we buy it from, suprisingly the really expensive furniture is less of a mark up then the middle to low end.   and we sell both indoor and outdoor.

and I agree with you to take baby steps, three of my freinds husbands will put up most of the bread, they are bored and rich housewives who would like to work 2 or 3 days a week. so I would have at least 3 working for me.  of course one wants to open a Bridal and Haute couture dress shop, another thinks that the Furniture & Design firm is a good idea, and another wants a high end food shop.

thank you for your ideas

ideas allways welcome
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2713
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/09 19:14:15 (permalink)
    Our friend was the owner of a small town furniture store for decades. The big boxes did him in.  Few independents are making it anymore.
    ladygodiva
    Hamburger
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/09 19:27:45 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

Our friend was the owner of a small town furniture store for decades. The big boxes did him in.  Few independents are making it anymore.

you are right, it is sad in retail anymore, the huge corporations and big box stores muscling the local small stores, it is sad, I try to shop locally whenever possible.  I just wish the American people would start buying again so stores can give their employees raises and promotions, and more money could get circulated back into the economy
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/09 19:33:36 (permalink)
    I don't blame the big box stores.  I blame the greedy manufacturers for selling to them at a reduced price or at all.

ladygodiva
    Hamburger
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/09 19:38:42 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Start a good Wine and Flower shop, "call it Days of Wine and Roses"...Wine always in demand as are flowers. few would just buy one or the other.

I do think that the Wine and Flower shop is a good idea,
    and yes a Furniture store in this bad economy the way it is
    and yes I know a Bakery is seriously hard work, getting up early, I know that I think that it would be fun, and I do know it would be hard work too.  I love fresh baked food, there are either the really good and expensive West Pointe Market, or the what is in this baked good ingrediants of Acme Click, I for one loved and missed the bake shops like Chedas bread possible the best bread ever, they alas are gone.  and the old German bakery when I was growing up just off of Brown street in Akron OH.,, it was just a thought, like I said I am putting out feelers for this stuff,
    and I truly believe the addage love what you do, love your work, and that was what I meant by a bakery would be fun, the joy that it brings to kids of all ages when you put a really good peice of bread in your mouth or a really good cookie or cake.

but please keep the ideas coming, all thoughts are appreciated
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/10 09:17:02 (permalink)
    Here's an example of a furniture store that hits many bases! Good's is definitely a destination store, has it's own restaurant, wine shop and a bed & breakfast !

http://www.goodsfurniture.com/
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/10 11:21:38 (permalink)
    ladygodiva

chewingthefat

and yes I know a Bakery is seriously hard work, getting up early, I know that I think that it would be fun, and I do know it would be hard work too.  I love fresh baked food, there are either the really good and expensive West Pointe Market, or the what is in this baked good ingrediants of Acme Click, I for one loved and missed the bake shops like Chedas bread possible the best bread ever, they alas are gone.  and the old German bakery when I was growing up just off of Brown street in Akron OH.,, it was just a thought, like I said I am putting out feelers for this stuff,
    and I truly believe the addage love what you do, love your work, and that was what I meant by a bakery would be fun, the joy that it brings to kids of all ages when you put a really good peice of bread in your mouth or a really good cookie or cake.

So Wine, Roses and fresh Cupcakes, a true romantic's dream!!

ladygodiva
    Hamburger
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/10 18:55:27 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

ladygodiva

chewingthefat

So Wine, Roses and fresh Cupcakes, a true romantic's dream!!

I think it is,  I am still tinkering, but the more I think, the more Wine & Roses and Cupcakes sound better and better each day. this store would definately be a good at Valentines day and Sweetest Day, and the holidays..  it does sound good.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/10 22:19:31 (permalink)
    Start thinking about the days between those holidays.

Cupcake stores around here are closing up before their leases are up.

Flowers die quickly if not sold.
    ladygodiva
    Hamburger
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/13 10:54:45 (permalink)
    mar52

I know, That is why I am trying to think of a real good idea..

I have always worked for others never had the courage or capital to set off on my own, I have worked for, 3 health clubs, 1 furniture store, one chocolate store (Godiva), I worked in a photo lab for Walgreens,worked for a Toy store, I volunteered in the office and marketing of the Ohio Ballet, I cleaned offices at night to put my way thru college.

P.S.
    Is there anyone hireing in Akron, OH, I would either love part time or full time, I have a part-time job and am looking for another to supplement it.

anybody hear about anything let me know.
    ladygodiva
    Hamburger
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/13 10:57:47 (permalink)
    kland01s

Here's an example of a furniture store that hits many bases! Good's is definitely a destination store, has it's own restaurant, wine shop and a bed & breakfast !

http://www.goodsfurniture.com/

I just missed this, what an IDEA,..
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/13 11:16:45 (permalink)
    mar52

And good wine disappears faster than the flowers die

ladygodiva
    Hamburger
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/13 11:23:44 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

mar52

And good wine disappears faster than the flowers die

All good
    ladygodiva
    Hamburger
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/15 19:02:22 (permalink)
    any small buisness owners out there?

if and when you owned your business, what did you pay your employees. if you employed friends or family did you pay them more, and how often did you give raises?
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/15 21:32:08 (permalink)
    In Los Angeles small businesses are laying off employees... not giving raises.

Hiring family and friends can lead to trouble.

You pay for the job, not for who the employee is.  Sometimes you pay for experience.

Every area is different.

I always thought a good way to get good employees would be for them to pay you to train them.  After they know what they are doing... then they could earn a fair wage.  Of course this is just a dream.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/16 05:11:56 (permalink)
    The Furniture store business is dying a slow death. My son owns a Mfg Rep  firm and one of his lines is furniture. He hasn't sold enough stuff to start a small fire in the last 2 years! Akron is the last place I'd start any business except maybe a truck rental company for people leaving the area!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/16 05:20:31 (permalink)
    Sell Hot Coffee outside the Unemployment Office this Fall & Winter. Based on your comments, you're not living in the real world. You don't have enough captial to start any business do you? 
    ladygodiva
    Hamburger
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/16 19:41:47 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Sell Hot Coffee outside the Unemployment Office this Fall & Winter. Based on your comments, you're not living in the real world. You don't have enough captial to start any business do you? 

as a matter of fact I am living in the real world,  and you are right I do not have enough capital to start a huge business, but I have enough to starts something about the size of a kiosk the type you see in the middle of the malls.  however, I do have 3 friends who are interested in something big, and they do, or their husbands do have the capital.

What I do have is a wish to excel at anything I do, I have a college degree in Marketing, (Not that it really matters in the job world anymore),, I am also willing to put in 12-,14, 16 work hours per day, (Very often I have worked those working, two jobs. (in fact, for 5 years I worked over 80 hours a week, 2 jobs each way across town from each other. Hell, there have been many times that I have put  hours in to impress my boss or a client,  and not been paid as well,

and I really did not like the Akron comment, but, I do feel bad for your son, the Mfg rep, I feel sorry for anyone out there who is loseing their shirt and sometimes their back to go with it.

and I do thank you for your comments.
    ladygodiva
    Hamburger
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2011/08/16 19:43:44 (permalink)
    mar52

In Los Angeles small businesses are laying off employees... not giving raises.

Hiring family and friends can lead to trouble.

You pay for the job, not for who the employee is.  Sometimes you pay for experience.

Every area is different.

I always thought a good way to get good employees would be for them to pay you to train them.  After they know what they are doing... then they could earn a fair wage.  Of course this is just a dream.

I agree hiring family and freinds can lead to trouble..I do like that idea to pay for training, (or at least volunteer for training.
    ladygodiva
    Hamburger
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2012/02/19 16:33:09 (permalink)
    does anyone know anyone that can get me a job in a bakery in the akron, fairlawn, copley area, I am willing to work all hours, and yes I know it is hard work
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2012/02/19 17:40:51 (permalink)
    I suggest you actually go to all the places in your area you would like to work, talk to the Owner/Manager. Get away from the impersonal emailed resume. As a business owner I don't like them, it's the walk ins I usually hire!
    apul
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2012/02/21 06:42:53 (permalink)
    Before you go and do something, test your idea. The market will tell you if there is demand for your idea. Most entrepreneurs miss this step and just start running and spending. It is the work you do BEFORE you start spending money that will ensure that you make the right decision.
    ladygodiva
    Hamburger
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2012/02/23 19:12:34 (permalink)
    to chewingthefat ande apul thank you both for your ideas I appreciate it
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2012/02/23 19:36:18 (permalink)
    How about asking to donate your time in a bakery to learn the work that goes in to it?

Are you looking at the back of the store, the front of the store or the management? 

Ask to help out in every bakery you can think of....  maybe one will let you behind the counter.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4194
    Re:Anyone ever buy a furniture store, or a bakery, or owned a bakery or Furniture store ?? 2012/02/24 18:05:33 (permalink)
    Ladygodiva, God Bless you!

Were I considering a furniture/design business in this economy I would follow aspects of this model:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjvbf8yPn2s .  Low entry.  Low COGS.

Because of its low COGS the bakery business can be extremely profitable.  But, you'd better be really good at both the "art" and business aspects of this enterprise.  For an unfortunately short time we had the best boulangerie this side of Paris just a few miles from us.  The native Frenchman owner/baker was a purist, not a businessman.  Quel dommage.  We hicks here in Dallas evidently require donuts to be sold alongside our bread.

If you choose the edibles route, ALWAYS start with used equipment & fixtures.  If Akron-Canton isn't, Cleveland certainly is full of really nice stuff for a dime on the dollar.

As with any business, the lower your overhead the sounder your sleep in those precious few hours available for such. 

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/02/24 18:11:59
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1